Macam

Nov 8, 2018
Don't these climate scientists know this is the best possible time in human history to have kids?? /s

I've been following this topic and have always felt we were barreling to 2.5-3C by century's end, and it's still incredible to read it every time.

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017
It's just dawned on me that if these scientists had shared the opinions and feelings in the Era Climate Change OT they'd get reported for doom posting 💀😂

TaxiDriver

Oct 30, 2017
I might be stupid for thinking like this and if so please correct me; what can we do as individuals? Surely it's the massive factories, cooperations and massive business that are causing most of this shit to happen. What difference does me recycling stuff have versus big industrial factories doing fuck all? I say this from a perspective of feeling helpless.

What people can do is go into science/engineering/technology and work on solutions for these things. I believe technology of the future can solve these problems, we just need to get there faster.

Other ways are to work and become successful/wealthy enough to have some financial or political influence.

Unfortunately I don't think there is an easy to way to effectively contribute.

Kiyamet

Apr 21, 2024
Its never too late

Dont give into despair

Despair benefits the capital owners because it allows them to keep doing what they are doing to harm the planet for profit

Always hold their feet to the fires they start

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that all of this is coming in the midst of a widespread cultural rebellion against the concept of expertise itself.

You can see the trajectory of this playing out over the past 60-70 years: a slow buildup of anti-intellectualism, anti-elitism, and rejection of authority that has culminated in far too many people simply not trusting experts in any field, and not believing what they're told by anyone who isn't telling them what they want to hear or are predisposed to believe. And it's being fueled by forces who have learned how to use social engineering to profit off all that fear and distrust.

It's the same thing humanity experienced at the beginning of the Dark Ages. And it's come at absolutely the worst possible time for our future survival.

And I'm not sure there's anything that can be done about it, apart from just doing the best we can in the spheres we control.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It is only the middle of May and to the north and west where I live is on fire. Had quite a bit of smoke earlier today, which when I was younger was pretty unheard of at this time of the year. Last year it was June. Usually it is not till August before smoke from fires ever reach here.

Going to be a great summer! /s

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The implication here is that we should all continue our bad habits because BP devised a deflection tactic.

At the end of the day we have to change, it doesn't matter if BP approves or not.
That is not the implication.
The implication is that BP knew they could stop change by blaming individuals; one weapon amongst all their other tactics. True change would come from systemic reform - precisely what they work to avoid.
As for whether we individually should do what we can? Of course. Read my earlier posts. But we must also agitate for that greater reform and not lose focus on what really needs to change.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
It is only the middle of May and to the north and west where I live is on fire. Had quite a bit of smoke earlier today, which when I was younger was pretty unheard of at this time of the year. Last year it was June. Usually it is not till August before smoke from fires ever reach here.

Going to be a great summer! /s
As another person smoked out in their home, sweating and unable to open a window. I'm sending you the people hugging emoji. I'm computer illiterate apparently, but I just want to let know /hug

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get hung up on not having kids, capitalism is the problem, not more kids. Younger generations are the ones pushing for climate justice and anti-capitalist sentiment because they realize that fossil capital is the problem.

We need more radical and revolutionary kids that are willing to fight for their futures rather than less. Humans are not outside of nature or inherently destructive, indigenous epistemologies and communal ways of living acted as environmental stewardship. We can pivot to a better way of living in a post capitalist society, but you need the people to make the world. So the "don't have kids" attitude is not the right take.
Well said.

While advocating for having less kids can make sense in a lot of circumstances, advocating for zero children - total anti-natalism - is so odd. If one wants a rapid extinction of all humans then why not cheer on deadly pathogens or encourage mass suicides? I don't think it's a coincidence that the periods of my life where I was most anti-natalist were also some of the periods where I was most suicidal. Like if one wants all humans to disappear, why even bother to exist?

The implication here is that we should all continue our bad habits because BP devised a deflection tactic.

At the end of the day we have to change, it doesn't matter if BP approves or not.
Yes. It feels like saying "I'm so upset about climate change and fossil fuel companies that I'm going to … refuse to do things that are good for the environment in order to stick it to BP."

Encouraging apathy and inaction in others on any issue is worse than just doing nothing.

In terms of positive effect on the world, doing something good is generally better than doing nothing, and doing nothing is better than telling others not to do anything.

Like move this to any other issue. Is volunteering at a homeless shelter pointless because it won't solve homelessness? Is doing a river clean-up pointless because it won't solve plastic waste? Is tutoring a child pointless because it doesn't fix the educational system?

The enormity of a problem is not a reason to give up on doing good things. It is wild that these threads always get multiple people telling others not to do anything, and then threads on things you can do get very little engagement (like the Climate News thread, or my thread on Plastic Pollution.)

OskarXCI

Banned
Nov 11, 2018
I think nothing major will be done to tackle climate change before it starts affecting billionaires' bottomline. Billionaires will then lobby politicians to make laws to handle it. But it will be too late by that point.

The general population will not take it seriously before we see parts of the world that has been liveable before, later become uninhabitable due to extreme heat. Climate change refugees if you will.
But, again, it will be too late.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. It feels like saying "I'm so upset about climate change and fossil fuel companies that I'm going to … refuse to do things that are good for the environment in order to stick it to BP."

Encouraging apathy and inaction in others on any issue is worse than just doing nothing.
Do you honestly think that is the context of my posts? I'm stunned at this misreading.
I'm actually insulted. How dare you suggest I'm spreading apathy. Quite the opposite.
If you bother to read them, you'll see I consistently encourage people to do what they can. I can also point out the tactics used against us.

edit: Nepenthe below articulates it well.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's unhelpful to do things in your personal life to mitigate your carbon footprint. I just worry that people will take that to mean that this is an individualistic problem which, in a society as lonely and atomized as ours is already (by design), can be a potential death knell to collective organization and action. Because this is a systemic problem with capitalism. Ergo, we should be prioritizing systemic solutions above all else.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Do you honestly think that is the context of my posts? I'm stunned at this misreading.
I'm actually insulted. How dare you suggest I'm spreading apathy. Quite the opposite.
If you bother to read them, you'll see I consistently encourage people to do what they can. I can also point out the tactics used against us.
Aw shit, no, it's not directed at you. It's directed at that relatively common sentiment, which is represented multiple times in this thread and in the many others we've had over the past few years.

I was just meaning to jump off of the sentiment ArkhamFantasy summarized; I think your posts have been really good in this thread, and I apologize for inadvertently sniping at you. I'm really sorry.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Aw shit, no, it's not directed at you. It's directed at that relatively common sentiment, which is represented multiple times in this thread and in the many others we've had over the past few years.

I was just meaning to jump off of the sentiment ArkhamFantasy summarized; I think your posts have been really good in this thread, and I apologize for inadvertently sniping at you. I'm really sorry.
Ah, no, I see, I'm sorry. I obviously misunderstood where you were directing that. I can get a bit too sensitive sometimes. It's all good.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if there's any longterm studies on mental wellbeing among climate scientists and if there have been appreciable change over the decades

Bless them, but we're letting them down

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, no, I see, I'm sorry. I obviously misunderstood where you were directing that. I can get a bit too sensitive sometimes. It's all good.
You did nothing wrong - I should have been clearer. The joys of internet communication!

I don't think it's unhelpful to do things in your personal life to mitigate your carbon footprint. I just worry that people will take that to mean that this is an individualistic problem which, in a society as lonely and atomized as ours is already (by design), can be a potential death knell to collective organization and action. Because this is a systemic problem with capitalism. Ergo, we should be prioritizing systemic solutions above all else.
I think that's a fair point to make. Perhaps one could make a distinction between the sorts of individual actions that take time / resources in such a way that they further atomize or work against systemic solutions , and those that don't .

I see how, for instance, giving up a car could be an unworkable, time consuming, ascetic task in many places when one should instead just keep the car if they need it and spend that time and effort fighting for transit and transit-oriented development instead.

But then on the other hand there are important actions that take almost no time, low effort, and either cost zero money or save money - giving up red meat, eating less animal products, buying less stuff (especially tech items), etc. Just doing that stuff alone can cut one's impact on the world by 30% or more, and it can go hand in hand with collective action for systemic solutions.

Macam

Nov 8, 2018
This is false since we are already doing major things although not quite enough.

The issue here is that we're dealing with a globally systemic issue and what we're doing is still too little and too late.

We spent decades whittling away precious time and entertaining bad faith arguments from conservatives and industry, and as we've done so, the bill has been mounting and come due, now with substantive interest. So the cuts need to be much steeper and much faster and we're not there.

And this is largely the issue that some subset of people keep bemoaning about apathy and (for whatever reason) anti-natalism seem to be missing. We are where we are, things don't look great in the near future where time matters, and people are in more of a begrudging acceptance phase of the scale of what may come.

Are things getting better? In some parts, sure, but it's not enough still on the timescale we need. It doesn't mean people are hopeless, but don't blame people for not being wildly enthusiastic that we're going to magically solve an enormously complex problem in like 50 years.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Buying less animal products and not flying unless you absolutely have to are really the two big ones. (And voting of course)
Eating less meat is very beneficial. However, the situation with flying is different. The fuel efficiency of flying is generally higher than driving, especially in the US, where many people drive excessively heavy trucks. Moreover, the average turnover rate for cars in the US is about 10 years. The production of a single truck equates to several transatlantic flights in terms of carbon emissions. This aspect is often overlooked in efficiency calculations. A plane is on service for 30+ years.

Cars are, without a doubt, the single biggest contributors to climate change in western society.

In Germany, although cars are generally lighter, the turnover rate is still alarmingly high, around 6 years on average, and even 3 years for the upper middle class. The upper middle class typically owns more than 2 to 3 cars per household. In contrast, lower-income households average only 0.6 cars each. Lower-income groups are significantly (magnitudes) more resource-efficient.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
i guess we just have to warm up to the idea of a very real toasty carbon ball floating in space

. . . wait are we in danger of being an teeny tiny itty bitty dwarf star if all the hydrocarbon components of this planet ignite?

kakteen

Apr 9, 2024
EU citizens please vote for climate conscious parties in your upcoming elections.

As someone living in germany and I can imagine how the people will vote, all we can do is having a guy (friedrich merz) as the chancellor not seeing the problems :)

Ultra worst case scenario is: more and more votes for the party, who flat out deny the existence of it

Majin Boo

Oct 26, 2017
I can relate. I am no climate scientist but I have spent a lot of time with the topic over the past 6 years. My despair reached a tipping point when I started to look past climate change itself and also looked at issues that we hardly talk about, but which equally bad (destruction of the biosphere, waste production, water acidification, decrease of soil quality, incoming resource scarcity etc.) Climate change itself is already despair inducing, but it is merely one symptom of many of what we are doing to the system we call earth. And we can't even deal with this one syptom, how can we expect to handle the sickness?

OP
OP
jungius

jungius

Sep 5, 2021

tumblr_nz0j3wmhvL1tkb2p0o3_500.gifv

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Until China, India and the United States sort their shit out with large restrictions and reductions, paper straws and only buying one phone every decade isn't gonna do shit haha.

Literally visited Chicago (from the UK) the other year and it's like recycling was some sort of futuristic invention that hadn't arrived in the city yet. Nowhere was there to recycle anything everywhere I went. Fully 100% recyclable aluminium cans straight into the black bin.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Cross-posting from the other thread:

Very interesting article, thank you for sharing. Some additional takeaways:

The median expectation in their survey is 2.7C, which is in-line with the projection of the Climate Action Tracker. This is a tremendous decrease from a couple of decades ago, when the projected warming was around 4C.

1.5C is dead, but 2.0-2.5 is still very much on the table, and every tenth of a degree makes a huge difference. Even just fully implementing announced policies would keep us under 2.5C. This is why climate action NOW is still critically important. Human beings don't go extinct in any of these scenarios, so we have to improve things as much as we can.

I'm not a single issue voter on anything, but the issue I'm closest to being a single issue voter for is climate policy.

EU citizens please vote for climate conscious parties in your upcoming elections.

Well I guess that is some optimism sort of lol

I find it really depressing how defeated even a community like era can be with climate change.

Nobody knows what to do because we can't do anything because nobody wants to change. top to bottom. until we are all dying and fighting for food, water, shelter I guess we wont see much change in inertia.

It's May 12th and I can't open a window because my city is engulfed in smoke. I'm so tired of this shit.

Well, while it is true that people buck against inconvenience, it's worth noting that society at large never had a real chance to change. Those at the top continuously suppressed and downplayed data, politicians let themselves be bought by powerful interests that contributed to climate change and we've been fed a steady diet of the idea that change can only be a slow, painstaking process that moves at a snail's pace and anything radical is doomed to fail.

Nobody wants to change because generations of people have been bred to not want to change by the top 1% and the corporations that have benefited the most

HarryHengst

Oct 27, 2017
Until China, India and the United States sort their shit out with large restrictions and reductions, paper straws and only buying one phone every decade isn't gonna do shit haha.

Literally visited Chicago (from the UK) the other year and it's like recycling was some sort of futuristic invention that hadn't arrived in the city yet. Nowhere was there to recycle anything everywhere I went. Fully 100% recyclable aluminium cans straight into the black bin.
From what I know letting a machine separate trash is much more effective compared with asking citizens to throw stuff in the right container. So maybe that's what they are doing.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

Folks can't have it both ways. They can't have reductions and restrictions while still getting to consume at the same levels. Perhaps, the pursuit of infinite growth is the problem.

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017
The give up video games line is absurd, thus my response. I somehow doubt you're up to that standard.
Actually I haven't played bought or played a game in about 3-4 weeks, so just lately I am 👍 not through any deliberate cut back though I have to say.
Well I guess that is some optimism sort of lol
I don't mean to crush anyones optimism but it's worth pointing out that the 2.7 degrees of warming we're on track for means 2 billion people leaving the 'climate niche' by 2030, leaving the level of temperatures humans are able to successfully live and thrive. Also places like India and Nigeria, of nearly a billion people just between them, would be completely fucked. Optimistic is not how I would feel in that scenario. If people have optimism then use it now. Do things now.

What happens at 2.7 degrees

Also slightly off topic but The Guardian have been smashing it over the last few days/week. I follow a lot of climate scientists that have been pulling their hair out because the media has been doing a piss poor job conveying the gravity of things to people and they've been expressing gratitude for their recent pieces.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017

The throwing the right trash to its appropriate bin is only a streamlining process for the deposits. There is not much to gain. However, the amount of trash in the US is simply on another level compared to Europe… at least in my experience.
On the other hand the US is drinking way less bottled water as you have a fountain everywhere.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean to crush anyones optimism but it's worth pointing out that the 2.7 degrees of warming we're on track for means 2 billion people leaving the 'climate niche' by 2030, leaving the level of temperatures humans are able to successfully live and thrive. Also places like India and Nigeria, of nearly a billion people just between them, would be completely fucked. Optimistic is not how I would feel in that scenario. If people have optimism then use it now. Do things now.

Also slightly off topic but The Guardian have been smashing it over the last few days/week. I follow a lot of climate scientists that have been pulling their hair out because the media has been doing a piss poor job conveying the gravity of things to people and they've been expressing gratitude for their recent pieces.
It's not really optimism to note that 2.7 degrees is a tremendous improvement from the track we were on 20 years ago, and that the actions we take for the next few decades can push us down into the 2.0-2.5 range. Every tenth of a degree makes a huge difference.

That's a much more realistic and constructive perspective than just 'it's fucked, just give up' or the occasional 'humans will go extinct.'

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
While the projections mentioned here are scary there is some good news that came out recently: last year marks the peak of greenhouse gas emissions from the power industry as renewable energy accounted for over 30% of all energy generated last year with solar energy specifically more than tripling from the prior year. The shift towards renewable and sustainable energy shows no sign of slowing this year either. For more details see this section of the climate news recap I posted yesterday:

It all depends on whether or not we can stop the processes that will naturally produce carbon. Less co2 per year helps but we may have started natural processes we cannot stop.

On top of that, a lot also depends upon how much more the oceans can continue to absorb all the excess heat.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Actually I haven't played bought or played a game in about 3-4 weeks, so just lately I am 👍 not through any deliberate cut back though I have to say.

Well, maybe it was not evident by my 'sort of' at the end was not a ringing endorsement of that optimism. More a 'well, at least you can something relatively positive in the bleakest shit imaginable.' You're right that's by no means a good result

Jindujun

Dec 7, 2023
The single most impactful thing is probably voting for politicians who will enact good climate policy. And then calling those elected representatives and insisting that they follow through on their campaign promises.

Obviously each individual's climate footprint is tiny compared to the corporations, governments, and armies of the world, but it's still worth doing what you can to lower your individual impact. Some of the most impactful things you can do as an individual are:
  • Minimize flying
  • Stop eating red meat
  • Buy less stuff
If you want to go more in depth than that UC Berkeley's CoolClimate Calculator will help you calculate your footprint and identify the most impactful actions you can take.

Plugging all of our numbers into that calculator a few years ago motivated my partner and I to cut way back on meat & animal products, start buying way more things used (when possible), install solar panels, and get into a number of other zero waste practices like composting.

Since we're Americans with family and friends strewn across the whole country and three other continents flying is our biggest sin, but I don't know what we can do about that - tell our parents we won't be seeing them anymore? We take trains whenever possible, and I use Google Flights to filter for which flights have the lowest carbon emissions, but I've had to accept we can't be perfect. At least the CoolClimate calculator reassures me that even with the flying my emissions are 40% lower than average for my area.

Not to mention the bigger things:
  • Dont get pets
  • Dont get kids
About 25-30 percent of the impact of meat eating comes from pets.

We're walking towards a dystopian future and to get past this we cant lay the blame on individuals. Without getting corporations on board or by essentially switching out every single oil and coal powerplant in the world in a few years there's not really anything we can do.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Not to mention the bigger things:
  • Dont get pets
  • Dont get kids
About 25-30 percent of the impact of meat eating comes from pets.

We're walking towards a dystopian future and to get past this we cant lay the blame on individuals. Without getting corporations on board or by essentially switching out every single oil and coal powerplant in the world in a few years there's not really anything we can do.
My understanding is that pet food is primarily made from the waste products of meat production for human consumption. Also keeping pets is something that people have done for thousands of years, so while there are more and less sustainable ways to care for pets (like buying them less plastic bullshit that they don't need) it isn't really something that has to go away completely.

Same with kids. Less kids? Sure. But being anti-natalist doesn't make sense unless one's goal is human extinction.

The point is that the goal isn't to have zero impact on the environment in any way. There are things that have impacts on the world that we can reasonably deem "worth it." Like a lot of medical advancements and accessibility devices are necessarily made of plastic, and while plastic waste is a real problem, the amount of waste those specific things produce is okay; it's "worth it." Same with having kids, it's necessary if one wants humans to continue existing. We can focus on the much more reasonable and attainable goal of making these worthwhile things less impactful instead of just eliminating them.

kingslunk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
give up meats
minimize air transportation and use EV
conserve waters
give up video games

None of this matters unless the billionaires and corporations stop. Like the poster above said doing this as an individual is like trying to drain the ocean with a thimble. You're basically letting billionaires and corporations live great lives while you suffer in hopes that your thimble will make a dent.

www.theguardian.com

Just 100 companies responsible for 71% of global emissions, study says

A relatively small number of fossil fuel producers and their investors could hold the key to tackling climate change
100 companies are responsible for 71% of the emissions.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
None of this matters unless the billionaires and corporations stop. Like the poster above said doing this as an individual is like trying to drain the ocean with a thimble. You're basically letting billionaires and corporations live great lives while you suffer in hopes that your thimble will make a dent.

www.theguardian.com

A relatively small number of fossil fuel producers and their investors could hold the key to tackling climate change
That coexists with things like giving up red meat, reducing animal product intake, conserving water, and minimizing air travel being changes everyone (who is able) should make because they are generally good things that have a generally good effect.

Like should I not bother donating to refugee relief since I can't stop wars? Or stop supporting pedestrian improvements at county board meetings since they won't completely replace our car-centric infrastructure? None of it matters, right?

If you care about these issues then why would you discourage people doing the tiny things they can and encourage apathy? It's more harmful to the cause then literally doing nothing.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

www.theguardian.com

If you don't want to change that's fine, but there's no reason to come in here and tell everyone their hard work doesn't matter, it's fucking insulting and there are other ways to make yourself feel better about your bad habits.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

www.theguardian.com

It does matter in a way. If more folks give up meat, this means less meat needs to be produced which in turn lowers emissions. Folks don't even have to give up meat entirely, a large number of folks cutting down would be good as well.

Does that means it's all on individuals? Nah. It's mostly on corporations but corporations are going to do these things because we allow them to and support them.

Vote Democrat if you are American

No, I don't think I will.

kingslunk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you don't want to change that's fine, but there's no reason to come in here and tell everyone their hard work doesn't matter, it's fucking insulting and there are other ways to make yourself feel better about your bad habits.

It has nothing to do with me. It's just math it has no bias. I know it's a tough pill to swallow knowing that until corporations start changing individual contributions aren't going to impact the amount of CO2 going into the atmosphere. Even if by some crazy technological break through you could lower ALL of our food emissions to 0. (20-25% overall) that's 75-80% of greenhouse emissions that haven't changed. I know I'm pessimistic but it's just reality.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
It has nothing to do with me. It's just math it has no bias. I know it's a tough pill to swallow knowing that until corporations start changing individual contributions aren't going to impact the amount of CO2 going into the atmosphere. Even if by some crazy technological break through you could lower ALL of our food emissions to 0. (20-25% overall) that's 75-80% of greenhouse emissions that haven't changed. I know I'm pessimistic but it's just reality.
The math of individual impacts on any global issue is not a reason to not do good things that are good for the world and help people - or to go even further and discourage other people from doing them.

If it were, there has never been any reason for any common person to do nearly any charitable act or good deed.

Tony72495

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Currently the biggest problem is that many developing nations literally do not have the money or resources to protect themselves from disasters or prioritize low-carbon emissions.

So....theoretically....we have a couple options, one of which is far better than the other.

The 1st option is, richer nations like the US and the EU come together to fund low-carbon projects and relief funds for developing nations, allowing them to better face the brunt of climate change.

The 2nd option is, richer nations basically abandon developing nations and leave them on their own. One even worse idea I had is that if developing nations get desperate and try to use high-carbon emission systems just to hopefully meet their energy needs, a richer, cleaner nation may even consider that an attack as that would make climate change worse.

So the worst option potentially is, rich nations warring with poor nations and just killing a bunch of people to prevent any increasing carbon production in developing nations. Or mass migration from those nations as climate change gets worse, potentially also leading to wars as countries increasingly do not want to accept any more refugees.

I'd like to say option 1 is viable, but I just don't really have much hope that it is.