Jan 29, 2019
I'm really enjoying the exploration now that I have this mod in place.

I thought the default day/night cycle in this game was waaaaay too short, and the mechanism to change the time of day was totally absurd to the point of it becoming a chore if you wanted to do it often.

I have significantly increased the duration of the day/night cycle so that I can enjoy the sunrise/sunset and sunny midday lighting more when the game looks at its best. I now have it set to 2 hour day and 2 hour night (same as the default durations in CP2077 which I thought nailed it).

Also disabled the out of bounds warning messages so I can climb the cliffs at the perimeter of the map without annoying warnings on screen.

Finally disabled the photo mode restrictions (camera movement/distance) in settlements.

All of these things combined have really elevated my enjoyment of the game.
Thank you for the link, will definitely be checking out the mod to make similar changes to yours!

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Reached Plainsong, now i'm having a hard time playing because i just wanna keep staring at the game, one of the most beautiful sceneries i've ever seen in a game by far.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
So far my biggest negative is the UI/menus. It often feels cumbersome, unintutive, slightly janky, and doesn't give enough info in some places.

I'm really enjoying the melee in this, it's not the deepest system ever but it's actually a system where the first game was just a FPS style melee, and there are some very fun combos.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This game is so janky in places it's unreal... climbing is especially bad, and things like parts of machines falling through the floor keeps happening. Really annoying.

Bungie

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah I have to agree it does feel surprisingly janky for a triple A game, especially in terms of traversal. Also, there seems to be a bug where you end up getting almost single digit fps if you go into keybind menu in game

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Okay the section where you restore Gaia and question her about everything was really cool. I'm a sucker for lore dumps like this, and it was really well done.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
In Hollow Knight you have that one charm, Gathering Swarm, that automatically collects geo (coins) up when it drops around you and brings it to you. It's the one charm's function that I think the sequel should just auto-include because running after low amounts of coins is sometimes literally not even worth the time but leaving stuff behind feels awful all the same.

That is to say, I hope they implement something in Horizon sequels that makes picking up components much more comfortable and reasonable.

Yesterday, I've fought a lot of Slitherfangs and Stormbirds to collect their respective crafting components and it was downright cartoonish how I ran miles to pick up some of the Earthgrinders that got slung across the lands. Twice in a row I went so far away, that the Slitherfang actually just respawned when I came back to its location, lol. And following where that Stormbird canon thing flies, thanks in no small part to the lightning explosion, can sometimes be impossible.

Those physics and the "realism" can be fucking funny and great once or twice. But it stops being so sooner than later. From a game design perspective, the effort ought to be cleanly removing the components, and that really isn't trivial. So when that succeeds, gathering everything up should be a non-issue. I'm not saying I need Aloy to have some component-gravity tech that immediately sucks everything to her once removed, but at minimum, they ought to have some checks that prevent components from going completely haywire or, if they, they get respawned nearby.

azfaru

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
In Hollow Knight you have that one charm, Gathering Swarm, that automatically collects geo (coins) up when it drops around you and brings it to you. It's the one charm's function that I think the sequel should just auto-include because running after low amounts of coins is sometimes literally not even worth the time but leaving stuff behind feels awful all the same.

That is to say, I hope they implement something in Horizon sequels that makes picking up components much more comfortable and reasonable.

Yesterday, I've fought a lot of Slitherfangs and Stormbirds to collect their respective crafting components and it was downright cartoonish how I ran miles to pick up some of the Earthgrinders that got slung across the lands. Twice in a row I went so far away, that the Slitherfang actually just respawned when I came back to its location, lol. And following where that Stormbird canon thing flies, thanks in no small part to the lightning explosion, can sometimes be impossible.

Those physics and the "realism" can be fucking funny and great once or twice. But it stops being so sooner than later. From a game design perspective, the effort ought to be cleanly removing the components, and that really isn't trivial. So when that succeeds, gathering everything up should be a non-issue. I'm not saying I need Aloy to have some component-gravity tech that immediately sucks everything to her once removed, but at minimum, they ought to have some checks that prevent components from going completely haywire or, if they, they get respawned nearby.

Yes to this. And also the UI showing loot on the ground blends too much with the background with its opacity. Not very user friendly. I HATE how i just miss out on hard to get machine parts just from not being able to find where it dropped

Jan 20, 2024
A quick R3 press is supposed to highlight valuable parts on the ground but it doesn't seem to work.

But on the topic of minor gripes, it's pretty off putting how birds (mostly owls) keep flying into the ground. And how in scanning mode, enemies aren't prioritized; makes the tagging feature a little more irksome.

Audio and character animations in cut scenes are also occasionally out of sync, which is something I've never seen before.

Most annoying of all is when your next to a climbable section in a combat situation and Aloy will always start climbing when you're just jumping or moving out of the way.

But aside from these fairly minor gripes, I'm having a blast. Already level 44 still have to find the other 2 subroutines. But once I complete an initial playthrough, I'm definitely gonna try a mod that addresses ammo capacity. After playing HZD with a 1200 hunter arrow reserve, it's hard to go back to 60.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Jfc, I finally beat the Arena's "Dreaded Encounter" after like 30 attempts. And for the last ~15 I tried to go by this guide, which makes it seem a bit easier than it is. Especially getting the thing to trigger the traps instead of just destroying or avoiding them ain't simple-

Meanwhile, the rest of the Arena with my own loadout has become the "explosive spike trap comedy". Having finally discovered why that thing can be so OP, I'm not ashamed to use it in these time-gated and seriously tough arena fights. I personally love the hunting grounds, but this...

And yeah, while I'm the bow&arrow type of guy and like to dismantle armor-pieces and components, just to finally deal damage at some weakpoints, that shit juts isn't happening in the arena. The normal hunting arrows kinda fall flat in damage anyway, as I started noticing more and more.

Then I read about the "Delta Sharpshot Bow" which happens to have like a hidden 70% draw-speed reduction (for a bit less zoom) and makes arrows deal damage once again, without being overly static.

But yeah, compared to the busted spike thrower skills, even that pales. Why care about combat mechanics like armor, weak spots, explosive components and so forth, when you can just murder things with absurd explosive damage.

Even more so when the application and especially duration of status effects has been nerved further compared to HZD, at least in some respects. It can be tough to freeze an enemy and hit several valuable shots in the time, with all the dodging and having to actually aim and stuff. As I mentioned before, doesn't help that activating valor takes another ~5s off from that duration.

But yeah, not gonna lie, feels good to finally deal high damage and be somewhat overpowered. Also improved a bunch against the bigger enemies, Slaughterspines especially, and that's always fun. But I'm nearing 100h, it's about time I end the story... if the last (non-burning-shores) Arena level is indeed even harder than Dreaded Encounter I dunno if I can do it anyway.

Though, I love fighting Thunderjaws and Scorchers aren't too bad either. Let's see how that one is.

e: Yeah, that one is actually regularly doable for me. Managed a bit over 9mins when 7:30 are necessary and have a good bit of room for improvement.

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The more I play, the less I like it.

Quest design is often incredibly tedious, far too many busy work quests, too many different weapons/varients, and just did a side quest with a "choice" (who leads the tribe) that was one of the most pointless "choices" I've ever seen. I really hate when games do this. And as I said before hte Menus and UI are utterly dreadful in places.

Little things like having grapple and glider on the same button is really awkward, and the long press for glider is a really poor choice imo. The glider should also just be a single press not hold to deploy.

Saying that, I do like where the main story is going so I might just beeline for it.

Last edited:

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
The more I play, the less I like it.

Quest design is often incredibly tedious, far too many busy work quests, too many different weapons/varients, and just did a side quest with a "choice" (who leads the tribe) that was one of the most pointless "choices" I've ever seen. I really hate when games do this. And as I said before hte Menus and UI are utterly dreadful in places.

Little things like having grapple and glider on the same button is really awkward, and the long press for glider is a really poor choice imo. The glider should also just be a single press not hold to deploy.

Saying that, I do like where the main story is going so I might just beeline for it.

There's so much awkward writing with many of these quests. Awkward in both how it reads but also just the situations. That quest at times felt like you're trying to clear up a high-school quarrel based on a misunderstanding. "Tne guy sucks and must die!" "Nah, listen hun, he actually had good intentions." "Nah uh!" Repeat ad nauseum...

It's impressive how damn much dialogue there is but in many regard it feels wasted with this kind of game that suffers tremendously from ludonarrative dissonance anyway. I legitimately can't stand starting another side fetch quest and having to go through the usual boring greetings à la "hey, you're that talented, amazing outlander, right? I heard so much of you!" "That's me alright, but I'm just another human, so please just call me Aloy!"

Having that is worse than just someone going "fetch me that Thunderjaw Tail pretty please!" and you're own your way. It all makes little sense, but one thing is very brief.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
As I mentioned before, doesn't help that activating valor takes another ~5s off from that duration.

I honestly do not understand why they didn't allow for a speed-up/skip option for non-first-use valor activations.

It slows the combat pace down so, so much, but if you burn it before the fight starts, you waste precious seconds of it finishing a setup.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeh I'm reaslly getting into the present day story in this game, it's so much better than in ZD.

I really like some of these characters, Kotallo and Zo especially. Man, I hope I get to build this dude a new arm or something, pretty sure Gaia could do that.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I got suckered into doing side quests. This happened to me in the first game. I started finding the open world both under/overwhelming at once, then at a certain point before I knew it I got into a groove with optional content and started clearing it all methodically.

This time it helps that a lot of the side content actually has interesting story beats, I also like how characters follow up with conversation sometimes when you return to the places you helped them. It's a nice touch and makes the world feel more lived in.

I wish I hadn't commited to this damn Salvage Content questline though, two down now so I have to finish it.

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018
Yeh I'm reaslly getting into the present day story in this game, it's so much better than in ZD.

I really like some of these characters, Kotallo and Zo especially. Man, I hope I get to build this dude a new arm or something, pretty sure Gaia could do that.
Agreed - i got really into the backstory, the sub systems, clans, lore etc. Its really interesting and more importantly believable.

The desert clan is just tops imo.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
The Burning Shores area is a lot heavier for me.

It's really hitting my CPU hard and performance isn't as smooth as the rest of the game.

Might decide to come back to this part once I upgrade.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Playing through the Burning Shores now and damn, that sidequest with good old Gildun is another home run.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
The Burning Shores area is a lot heavier for me.

It's really hitting my CPU hard and performance isn't as smooth as the rest of the game.

Might decide to come back to this part once I upgrade.
It definitely has higher CPU usage, likely due to more aggressive SSD based streaming (and constant CPU decompression of that streaming) but my performance was about the same there as in the main game -- 100-120 fps in 4K with DLAA+FG.
What CPU do you have and what are your res and fps target?

Oct 27, 2017
USA
It definitely has higher CPU usage, likely due to more aggressive SSD based streaming (and constant CPU decompression of that streaming) but my performance was about the same there as in the main game -- 100-120 fps in 4K with DLAA+FG.
What CPU do you have and what are your res and fps target?
Ryzen 3900x

Gaming at 3440x1440, targeting 60 FPS min.
I can't use FG as I don't have a 4000 series card and the FSR3 mod apparently isn't working properly so can't even test that out.

Sinah

Jun 2, 2022
Ryzen 3900x

Gaming at 3440x1440, targeting 60 FPS min.
I can't use FG as I don't have a 4000 series card and the FSR3 mod apparently isn't working properly so can't even test that out.

I just beat the game and i had absolutely no issues with this area on a 3600x + 3080 ti settings are maxed only shadows on medium at 1440p with DLSS so I don't think it's the CPU.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I just beat the game and i had absolutely no issues with this area on a 3600x + 3080 ti settings are maxed only shadows on medium at 1440p with DLSS so I don't think it's the CPU.
Hmmm...

Might do a full DDU and driver reinstall, maybe something fucked up during a recent driver update.

Could also be Windows 11 Insider build nonsense again, though I don't see any reported issues.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
And I beat the DLC.

Heh, they really went for it with the romance. Don't think that worked all too well here either, but it's still the best-executed romance HFW has, so I let them have it. Can't believe the Sun King romance/interest was an actual thing that got brought up at the start of this game again.

So we actually got a story direction for the sequel, with the weapons manufacturers... that's not necessarily exciting, but I'd have otherwise no clue where they'd even be going with, thanks to that weird Nemesis setup. The game made me think of that crappy Green Lantern movie with that cosmic cloud baddy when Nemesis came up. Digitalized, agonized minds going haywire in some crazed AI/machine thingy and seeking revenge by extermination is... a thing, I suppose. Seems hard to believe that it could be beaten when Far Zenith people had a thousand years to advance tech further and failed, but then again, they were caught by surprise and we beat Far Zenith tech in this game, too.

Well, at least Aloy has quite a competent crew now. RIP Lance Reddick, though. That loss is gonna be felt with the sequel for sure.

In regards to game design and how much fun it is, a lot is so drastically improved over HZD and the core combat and loot loop as fun as ever, that I'd almost want to give it a 9/10. But the game is also immensely long and the issues that it does have, especially poorly designed upgrade mechanics, turned out to be quite the damper. Much of the dialogue also has a good bit of uncanny valley and too much Ludonarrative dissonance to ignore. All the same, it's still a massive upgrade over HZD. In particular, the camera is way less static. The story pacing is a huge improvement too. In HZD you had the hard-to-beat backstory concerning the details of Zero Dawn, but it isn't until the last third or fourth of the game that you get too much of it, and until then, there's not exactly an interesting story hook.

Man, if Horizon 3 manages to refine similarly much as FW did over ZD already, then I'm in for a damn fine treat. I'm honestly hoping they don't blow the size of the game up even further and instead polish the game systems more. There's so much good here with the grappling hook, shield glider, and flying mounts, which for the most part control very well, whereas diving lost its appeal quickly to me and grapple hook for wall removal almost sucked as much fire gleams and the metal flowers. If they want so much platforming and puzzle pieces in there, which I don't necessarily disagree with, then I gotta enjoy doing them. And "open wall with one of 3 tools and a long canned animation each" ain't it. It's also so obvious how the more realistic graphics with lots of density and detail hurt these aspects. The most frustrating times in the game were me looking for stuff to platform off or interact with and just missing them.

ps: Spike Thrower with exploding spears and that trap skill technique are truly OP. Every arena level that doesn't have a set loadout is easily won with just that.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Finished the game after 43 hours. Need some time to digest thoughts but really enjoyed my time with the game! Hope the wait for the third game isn't super long, especially for it to hit PC 💀

Are the sidequests worth doing in terms of story, world building etc? I have done a few, mostly the ones from my companions and thought they were good. Or should I move onto the Burning Shores instead

astro

Oct 25, 2017
59 hours in and I've only retrieved Aether. Same as the first game, at first I was overhwelmed with side stuff and decided to beeline, then before I knew it I was deep into side content clearing everything I could find. I don't know what it is about this open world, it has a lot of designs that people call "Ubisoft open world", but for some reaosn I'm finding it a lot more appealing than most games that scatter so many icons over the maps.

I was playing on Very Hard, but hoenstly it just felt like a bit of a chore. Even when using the exact right tactics to take machines down they could often feel like their HP was bloated, set a custom difficulty to Hard/Hard and finding it's a lot more enjoyable.

I've cleared almost all side content I have at this point, but I'm still finding more here and there and I've got about 35% of the map to uncover and the main campaign to focus on.

At first I found the amount of weapons to be a bit overwhelming too, but now I quite like it as I can really refine my loadouts to suit what I need. I finished the Arena and got al lthe Legendary gear, only recently realised there was armour transmog which is an absolutely awesome inclusion.

Accessibility options are incredible, they deserve a lot of praise for this.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
New endgame guilty pleasure: violating Apex Fireclaws with drill spikes to the degree that the poor things can barely move. Not the fastest way to deal with 'em, sure, but cheap and satisfying.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the main game and I basically did everything (100% progression) except for Machine Strike. I really liked the game and I don't see it inferior to the first game at least story wise, yeah it doesn't reach the same heights but only because the mystery on what happened in the old world was the major hook so there was no way to replicate even though this game as its twists and mysteries.

All in all I'm pretty satisfied with the game, I really like Aloy and the cast as whole but I think the game could have had handled the personality dissonance of Aloy in the main quests and side quests, it was quite stark at least in the first half. I do think the game plays it a bit too safe in the gameplay department, it felt too familiar especially for a sequel to a 5 year old game I expected it to have more new gameplay features and some UI/UX improvements. I also find the ammo usage a bit weird, there many weapons that have similar and overlapping ammos with only a couple that's different, so you have like three hunter bows. They could have added a slot system where you could decide on your own what type of ammo.

Anyway on to the DLC.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Playing a new save file on Ultra Hard now and have mostly been beelining it for the quest/progression items so I can deal with Firegleams, metal flowers, and long underwater sections.

It's just not fun doing all the side missions and stuff just to constantly be reminded you gotta return later anyway.

Oh, and the Shredders are easily the most efficient weapons and something you really gotta learn to master over many hours. I imagine most people's impression are "eh, this isn't doing much? lemme just shelve this for now". Besides the potential for insane ammo-efficiency, the damage can be really quite high and nothing tears as well as them. That said, the catch-and-throw mechanic is comparatively difficult to execute and clearly the strongest when fighting a single medium or large enemy. That does happen a lot, though.

And sliding is so, so important in this game. Unlike HZD, this time the slide has invincibility frames. It furthermore has a quick draw back feature, so you quickly charge your attacks.

Last edited:

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Holy shit, while in game, I turned my Xbox controller off by holding the Xbox button. Froze my game and made a really loud humming noise, killed my video.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Dayum, Thunderjaw remains the most fun machine to fight.

On Utlra Hard and merely level 24 I wanted to upgrade my currently best shredder and needed an Apex Thunderjaw heart. First I had to beat the regular version in the one spot I wanted to farm it so that the Apex one would spawn at night. Problem turned out to be: that when even the rapid-fire head-cannons basically one-shot you, the fight gets just that much more complex. I needed to stay relatively close and running and sliding basically all the time until I had taken those out because there's a lot of variety with the way that attack works and I just don't know how to dodge it all on an even arena. Like, often it's just stationary while firing. Firing in mostly one spot or a slow sweep and for 2-4 seconds. But it can also move while shooting and it can go on for like 8s.

All the different kind of charges and in particular the way those things can Headput you close-by but also relatively far, with (seemingly) slightly different animation and absurd hit-boxes are nasty in their own way.

Then, with ultrahard + fairly low leveled the usual super tanky one-shot machine thing applies. Took me like 20 tries to finally take out the regular Thunderjaw and then, having apparently really nailed it down now, I managed the Apex version in my first attempt right after. And damn if that wasn't mechanically fun and really thrilling, lol.

Jan 20, 2024
These melee pits are the dumbest, most broken thing I've seen in a game in a longtime. The controls are completely broken, the UI is horrendous...how on earth did this get past play testing?

It's honestly turning a really good game into one I've never want to play again.

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023
Hallelujah - someone has modded out the hero lighting!

Before:

63-1712565561-2076624879.jpeg

After:

63-1712565569-1530199827.jpeg

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
Bought the game, hdr slider is broken apparently they changed it again? When I set hdr brightness other sliders start to move around. The game also doesnt save so I had to refund it. I always have issues with Nixxes ports they have some of the weirdest issues I encounter.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Will give this a look. Hope this is easy to setup and does not require you to press F1 every time it's launched.

EDIT:Gave this a try, and DAMN does it look better without this shit. Once you install it, it's also easy to set it to toggle itself on startup, so you can just forget about it. I think it might mess with the game's shader compilation, it seems to restart shader compilation everytime I change something.

I get that this hero lighting is up to Guerillas "creative vision" and what not, but it's hard to think this looks better with nonsensical backlighting on characters in every scene.

Sadly, it breaks down in dark scenes. The game never expects that Aloy is ever in the dark, so without the hero lighting, you get strange artefacts as seen above. Goes away when you turn off subsurface scattering and "peach fuzz", but those are actually pretty neat effects.

Last edited:

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Patch 1.3 is out:
store.steampowered.com

Horizon Forbidden West™ Complete Edition - Horizon Forbidden West Complete Edition 1.3.55.0 Release Notes - Steam News

Hey everyone, Patch 1.3 is out now for Horizon Forbidden West Complete Edition on PC. This update includes new features, visual improvements and a range of optimizations, bugfixes and stability improvements, based on player feedback. We've improved the visual quality of dust effects and made...
  • Improved the visual quality of dust.
  • Added Interface Text Size option in the General Settings menu.
  • Improvements to texture streaming to reduce memory usage and improve quality.
  • Updated Intel XeSS to version 1.3 with improved image quality and new XeSS Native AA option.
  • Resolved performance regression when enabling NVIDA Reflex On+Boost.
  • When using Quick Slot hotkeys to select weapons, the last used ammo type used will now be remembered.
  • Improved smoothness of camera movement in Photo Mode when using the mouse.
  • Removed hardcoded Mouse and Keyboard bindings for actions such as Navigation Assist in Focus Mode. They now listen to their respective remappable key bindings.
  • Various optimizations and stability improvements.
  • Various UI bugfixes.

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
Patch 1.3 is out:
store.steampowered.com

Horizon Forbidden West™ Complete Edition - Horizon Forbidden West Complete Edition 1.3.55.0 Release Notes - Steam News

Hey everyone, Patch 1.3 is out now for Horizon Forbidden West Complete Edition on PC. This update includes new features, visual improvements and a range of optimizations, bugfixes and stability improvements, based on player feedback. We've improved the visual quality of dust effects and made...
I hope the Reflex fix also addresses the camera stuttering it caused