Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen this floated about a few times, especially regarding Naughty Dog. Certainly you need to utilize your workforce in between major projects but remasters/remakes aren't the only answer. I don't know, maybe make a smaller game. More DLC. A table tennis game?
Yeah it's a false dichotomy to act like it's either remakes or else devs get fired. There's plenty of other smaller projects GG could do

Mau

Oct 25, 2017
If ya'll think these remasters take away from you getting a whole new game (even a small one) then boy do I have some news for you…

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
7 Years does not need a remake. The game still looks amazing.

Sony's been greatly disappointing this gen, selling us just remake and remaster instead of new Games.

People will buy it.

Like big movie studios, big game studios just seem content with playing it safe.

Can't say I blame them with the inflated cost of production.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Even if it's a remake why pull it? I really don't like how Sony handles this stuff and that's why I mainly moved to Xbox

Apr 5, 2022
Even if it's a remake why pull it? I really don't like how Sony handles this stuff and that's why I mainly moved to Xbox

Not like it's leaving the PSN store or whatever. It'll go on sale eventually too, now if it were being delisted with no way to get it then I'd understand, also let's not get console picky here Xbox has its fair of stupid stuff too when it comes to digital stuff, it's just not Sony. Also, if they can "remaster" The Last of Us 2 with just some stuff added into it then Horizon can get a re-release too but if it's a remake with more stuff that we don't know about then that's great too, it's all a matter of how Guerilla executes this.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Don't understand all the complaints, especially in cases of remasters. I doubt they put their main teams on it, who are all working on new games right now.

Nobody is taking anything away from you, but people who want it will get better versions of games.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
HZD remaster this year

HZD Complete next year for PS5 Pro

HZD Deathbringer edition in 2026 when TV show is released

I just wonder what the version will be called when its remastered again for the PS6

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
And yeah, why are they sitting on the only PS4 Remaster people really do want...

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
I think this will be day-and-date on PC btw. They did the same for the Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy remaster, and the TLOU Part 1 Remake released on PC just a couple months after PS5, mainly due to the port not being ready (evidently).

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I think this will be day-and-date on PC btw. They did the same for the Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy remaster, and the TLOU Part 1 Remake released on PC just a couple months after PS5, mainly due to the port not being ready (evidently).
I'll laugh my balls off if this is a separate release for PC and not just a patch for the PC port the game got years ago. Releasing a PC port of a PS4 game, and then 4 years later releasing a remaster of it on PC too would genuinely make me laugh. It's like releasing a PS5 remaster of a PS5 game.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
I'll laugh my balls off if this is a separate release for PC and not just a patch for the PC port the game got years ago. Releasing a PC port of a PS4 game, and then 4 years later releasing a remaster of it on PC too would genuinely make me laugh.
Yeah, it really depends on if we have a remaster here, or a proper remake. AFAIK we don't know that for sure yet.

If it's just a remaster, then maybe they don't even release it on PC at all. If it's a remake that brings HZD on the level of HFW for example, then it's a different story.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Yeah, it really depends on if we have a remaster here, or a proper remake. AFAIK we don't know that for sure yet.

If it's just a remaster, then maybe they don't even release it on PC at all. If it's a remake that brings HZD on the level of HFW for example, then it's a different story.
Just checked the document in which it leaked, and it's named a Remaster with no mention of a PC release
rxtmLKX.png

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Not like it's leaving the PSN store or whatever. It'll go on sale eventually too, now if it were being delisted with no way to get it then I'd understand, also let's not get console picky here Xbox has its fair of stupid stuff too when it comes to digital stuff, it's just not Sony. Also, if they can "remaster" The Last of Us 2 with just some stuff added into it then Horizon can get a re-release too but if it's a remake with more stuff that we don't know about then that's great too, it's all a matter of how Guerilla executes this.

I think on Gamepass you can play the original Gears of War backwards compatible and also the remake/remaster. I just like having the sub with every first party acessible and the different platforms/versions. I'm not just console warring because it's honestly one of the reasons I got on the Xbox platform.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Do you understand the difference in resources needed for a smaller game or even a DLC over a remaster/remake? It's not even in the same ballpark.
With remasters, sure, but I don't see how that's the case with games that are remade from the ground up. Last of Us Part 1 for some reason even made new concept art instead of using the original one

Tigerfan2019

Jun 14, 2020
With remasters, sure, but I don't see how that's the case with games that are remade from the ground up. Last of Us Part 1 for some reason even made new concept art instead of using the original one
Last of Us Part 1 still used the same story, level design, voice actors, and mocap. The best example I can think of is the difference in resources between Spider-Man remastered and Spider-Man Miles Morals.

Oct 31, 2017

Sony's been greatly disappointing this gen, selling us just remake and remaster instead of new Games.

I'm sure some of that is residual effects of the COVID pandemic (development stalled in some areas, so remasters/remakes can fill the void), but this is a year where they've released Helldivers II, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, and another MLB The Show.

All in all, the quality has been superb, which isn't including their third party partnerships such as FF7: ReBirth.

Oct 30, 2017
Even a 10 dollar upgrade with a $50 remastered edition is a halfway decent way to bring in more revenue for a studio that really only has single player games out on the market.

This likely has almost no impact on Horizon 3 which is probably a 2027 project.

Oct 30, 2017

GG already dropped an extremely content heavy game this generation with solid DLC and top tier visuals.

And tons of PS4 games got PS5 upgrades. This is really no different.

They're actively developing many new games and their studio count has grown significantly this generation.

As their business continues to operate under slim margins, remasters are pretty basic ways to keep teams engaged while bringing in revenue.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Last of Us Part 1 still used the same story, level design, voice actors, and mocap. The best example I can think of is the difference in resources between Spider-Man remastered and Spider-Man Miles Morals.
Spider-Man remaster is still largely a remaster though. And while Last of us part 1 reuses the same story etc. it's still a full length game whereas something like Miles Morales is shorter and reuses the map from Spiderman 1. It wouldn't surprise me if the budget of those two is in the same ballpark

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta see this one, HZD still looks stunning. Not sure how they can improve it.

Honestly, I'd only really be interested if they've gone back and done proper face and motion capture to update all the animations, both body and facial, in the cutscenes character dialogs, and updated the character models to make that possible. That's really where the game shows its age relative to HFW.

Unforunately, that would obviously be much harder to do with Sylens. :(