• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France

Patch notes:

Graphical Improvements

• Added Nvidia's DLSS upscaling technology.
  • Added AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution, replacing FidelityFX CAS.
UI Changes

• Adjusted settings screen to facilitate the addition of DLSS and FSR.
  • Render Scale option has been removed but same result can now be accomplished by adjusting setting Upscale Method to Simple and adjusting Upscale Quality.
Performance Improvements

• Improvement to the shader management system. This will result in a few noticeable differences:
  • There is no longer a shader pre-compilation step on startup.
    The game will always compile shaders during loading and in the background.
  • Stutters during gameplay that used to occur due to background shader compilation have now been significantly reduced.
  • Because shader compilation is still happening in the background you may notice the game having a higher CPU utilization while that is happening.
  • Loading screens will wait for the required shaders to be fully compiled. This may cause loading screens to take somewhat longer on certain systems.
  • On higher spec machines with faster CPUs the loading screens will typically be shorter, due to more efficient shader compilation that better leverages high-end CPUs.

Last edited:

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
That's awesome. It's really great to see Sony games embracing both DLSS and FidelityFX. More options should really be the norm.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Oh wow, would love to see performance benchmarks with DLSS. The game already performed well at native 4K.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Might have to do another play through. Have a new ultrawide monitor and last time I was hitting 90 to 100fps. Gotta see what dlss can do.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
This is completely unexpected and very cool to see. I'm 50 hours into my current playthrough but I barely touched the main quest, so I'm still gonna get good mileage out of this.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
YOOOOOOOOO

I was only getting about 40 to 45 FPS at 4K before, so I'm really interested to see if I can get 60 FPS with DLSS.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
It's really nice to see that the game still receives updates and DLSS is a really good one.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Great news, just bought this game, this will be my first try at FSR.

Last edited:

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Sony embracing PC gaming quickly than a lot of other pubs
you love to see it

There are still games from other pubs like MS which still don't have useful features like DLSS and FSR which help out squeezing more performance out of games..among other pubs...

Expecting a Patch for Days Gone as well..

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
This is the absolute best! Can't wait to play it and try out the performance gains with DLSS!

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017
Sony doing something good again?

Hope this is what they do with all their ports going forward. More options = better!

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to this. Got around 70 to 90+ FPS on my machine at 1440p, so with this it should be much closer to maxing out the 144 Hz of the monitor, at least in places where the bottleneck is with the GPU. Still expecting this game to not run quite as well as Death Stranding, since the open world is much busier.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Awesome. Curious to see the implementation, to date I've still only been impressed with DLSS on Fortnite/Control - most other games produce a noticeable blur

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Great update. Not played it yet but this bodes well for great performance when I finally get round to it. DLSS is always wanted in every game, it's so good. After Halo maybe I might give this a blast.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
DLSS and FRS should be standard on PC games. The more impressive part would be if they actually managed to remove most of the stutters which no the patches before did not fix.

sanityislost

Oct 21, 2021
This may be the push for me to pick it up on PC, was debating playing it again before forbidden west comes out.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Wollan Might as well add in Patch Notes in the OP.
Graphical Improvements

• Added Nvidia's DLSS upscaling technology.
  • Added AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution, replacing FidelityFX CAS.

UI Changes

• Adjusted settings screen to facilitate the addition of DLSS and FSR.
  • Render Scale option has been removed but same result can now be accomplished by adjusting setting Upscale Method to Simple and adjusting Upscale Quality.

Performance Improvements

• Improvement to the shader management system. This will result in a few noticeable differences:
  • There is no longer a shader pre-compilation step on startup. The game will always compile shaders during loading and in the background.
  • Stutters during gameplay that used to occur due to background shader compilation have now been significantly reduced.
  • Because shader compilation is still happening in the background you may notice the game having a higher CPU utilization while that is happening.
  • Loading screens will wait for the required shaders to be fully compiled. This may cause loading screens to take somewhat longer on certain systems.
  • On higher spec machines with faster CPUs the loading screens will typically be shorter, due to more efficient shader compilation that better leverages high-end CPUs.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
The original release was lackluster but you can't do anything but compliment them on how they have stuck with the game and improved it over a long period.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Wollan Might as well add in Patch Notes in the OP.
Given these types of in-depth changes to the game engines port on PC, and how it deals with shader compilation, I wonder if they are already working on porting the sequel to PC. Doesn't seem clear otherwise why'd they still spent so much work on a year old release, that already has a 92% positive rating on Steam.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
The original release was lackluster but you can't do anything but compliment them on how they have stuck with the game and improved it over a long period.
Yup. A delay and solid release is often better but actually fixing everything and making it the definitive version of the game is commendable too. Kudos to their team on a work (eventually) well done.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting they've done this, when they announced many months back with the last patch that they were winding down support.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Cool that it's still getting tech support this long after release - a lot of teams would have moved on by now and cut their losses.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
DLSS & Shader Compilation improvements? Seems huge after they said there wouldn't be any more patches.

Given these types of in-depth changes to the game engines port on PC, and how it deals with shader compilation, I wonder if they are already working on porting the sequel to PC. Doesn't seem clear otherwise why'd they still spent so much work on a year old release, that already has a 92% positive rating on Steam.

Didn't Nvidia leak have the God of War and Horizon Frozen West, too? Not full confirmation, but just saying... God of War got announced, but could be lucky guess :P

Oct 29, 2017
That's awesome. I played on pc recently and it was pretty solid but assuming dlss is welcome. They really turned things around considering how it launched

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Shader compilation changes is HUGE.

The loading screen will no longer be a stress test for my 5900x.

Yudoken

Jun 7, 2019
That's freaking huge, I own the game since it was bundled with my CPU but I've put it on low priority due to the launch issues and even though I've acquired a RTX 3080 I wasn't thinking about playing it soon. It's kinda crazy how Sony really tries to make their ports right on PC even after such a long time.
Hopefully Days gone is next on the list.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I'll remember to actually download it again today after completely forgetting about it the first time I bought it in Steam.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
Wow , i had so much issue on my 1080ti , that i have never thought to try it again with the 3070ti.
But now with this patch and dlss ! It's going to be awesome !

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
That's awesome, I was gonna start playing it in a week or two so this is great timing.

Oct 28, 2017
Some images/video comparison between DLSS, SuperRes and Native please?
It would be good to see the difference on one of Sony's first party games.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Now I can't decide if I play this on my PC or my PS5 with the patch 👀

Great to see them supporting their PC titles this late after launch.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm guessing they were working on implementing these features into the PC port of the sequel and figured now would be a good time to add it to the first game as well. It's good for future-proofing the game as it will probably continue to sell on Steam for many years to come and eventually even budget PC builds and laptops will probably support DLSS or FSR.