• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I really really really don't like fire or frost claws :( it always seems like their armor never pops off

Nov 8, 2017
I paused on ACO just to play this HZD DLC. Always nice to return to this unique lore they created. Love it. I am about to finish the main plot of this DLC, will probably finish it tonight.
It's nice you can customize your spear and have a few nice new weapons. Hope I will have a few revelations before I finish it.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
People who felt the Shield Weaver armor got nerfed...
It got a wonderful new playful purpose now.
If you hack the Control Towers then the pulses will recharge the Shield Weaver!
Just Brilliant.

Hmm it's not doing it for me. Unless they disabled that for ultra hard?

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
nWNt62u.gif

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm just tried to jump back in the game. It installed the patch this morning and took a long time to load just the title screen. Hitting continue is stuck at like 5% loading and a message popped up saying something like this save contains frozen wild data and I need to install frozen wild. Anyone else have this issue?

Edit: A reboot of the PS4 fixed the issue but loading is still stupid long like 5-10 min long now.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It fleshes out some aspects of the universe, but it's largely self-contained. That said, it adds some weapons and a skill tree that, IMO, are pretty great additions to the main game in that they smooth out some aspects of the gameplay (i.e. they're very, very convenient.) If I were to start the game from the beginning right now, I'd like to have 'em.

Good advice! Isn't there a level cap though? The additions definitely sound appealing but it seems like I wouldn't get them until late in the game anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Good advice! Isn't there a level cap though? The additions definitely sound appealing but it seems like I wouldn't get them until late in the game anyway.

You can get the new skills from the get go (if I'm not mistaken - someone please correct me if I'm wrong). The sidequests have a recommended level, but it's not a requirement - you can venture there at your own peril :D only real requirement is that you're past a certain point in the main game (when you leave the first area, the Embrace).

BTW, maybe we could have a Spoilers/Speculation thread for Horizon? Can't start one, though, I'm back to being a Junior :D

Last edited:

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't played the game since it first came out - so I'm also doing this on my very first New Game+ run (currently I'm at level 51 and just left the Embrace), on Hard difficulty.

Is there an especially appropriate time during the story to go to the Cut (i.e. will Aloy's dialogue there feel weird and too-informed if I go there right now)? Should I get more Adept equipment and advance the main story first?

Also, yeah, totally noticing a greater level of nearby-ground-and-grass geometry/texture pop-in than there was when I played around launch. Whatever the LOD system tweaks were, I don't think they're for the better.

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
Here is a quick video showing the issue.

Read description for details. It really is very distracting game was not like this before.

Please others check if you get similar results.

Excuse the bump on this but i would love it if people checked their games and reported if they have same issue.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Excuse the bump on this but i would love it if people checked their games and reported if they have same issue.
Horizon's always had LOD changes fairly close to the player, it's just usually done well enough that you don't notice, but if you stare at the ground as you run forward you'll see it quite clearly. There are some places where the system doesn't work so well and it stands out more.

Check out any of the early gameplay videos, such as Digital Foundry's analysis, and you'll see it there too.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I've had pop in issues since Frozen Wilds dropped. Especially the face paint sometimes pretty much disappears during cutscenes and takes a few seconds to load.

Is there some way to report bugs to Guerilla?

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
Horizon's always had LOD changes fairly close to the player, it's just usually done well enough that you don't notice, but if you stare at the ground as you run forward you'll see it quite clearly. There are some places where the system doesn't work so well and it stands out more.

Check out any of the early gameplay videos, such as Digital Foundry's analysis, and you'll see it there too.

I have been checking a lot of videos about this and I can pretty safely say that the effects were never as pronounced as they are right here. That includes DF video.

The LOD transition was always close as you correctly mention but it was smoother and did not pop up so noticeably.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017

Definitely getting some pop up more then usually. I saw a bellowback super low detail, looking like giant polygon triangles I didn't think to take a screen shot till it was to late. He did get close enough to bump into me in bushes before it fully loaded. Also noticed some props not loading in fully, like the Zipline by daytower the rope looking like it was floating and the prop holding it up never loaded in, also looked like some other props around that area didn't load in as well just not as obvious. Definitely think something is going on, it took me a reboot and a 5-10 min load to actually start playing after the patch.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Yeah it doesn't do that for me either. I'm pretty sure hacking the points is just extra XP before you destroy it.
Did I just placebo play myself?
I'm playing on Normal. It was the first Frost Claw fight. Aloy makes a comment on how the Control Tower is keeping the creatures shielded & how she should hack it to use it to her advantage. During the fight I often saw the blue shield indicator (overlapping the HP) almost constantly staying full despite my struggle so I ended up putting one and one together. Sorry for the misinformation if so.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, the fucking thing picked me up and bear hugged me to death. I did not calculate for that when I went in to finish bear machine with some melee attacks. Touché you some of a bitch.

Dick Whitman

Oct 30, 2017
This game is absolutely incredible. The snow is easily the best I've seen in any video game to date. Really enjoying the DLC so far.

Last edited:

Ruthless

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

Yeah it doesn't do that for me either. I'm pretty sure hacking the points is just extra XP before you destroy it.

Did I just placebo play myself?
I'm playing on Normal. It was the first Frost Claw fight. Aloy makes a comment on how the Control Tower is keeping the creatures shielded & how she should hack it to use it to her advantage. During the fight I often saw the blue shield indicator (overlapping the HP) almost constantly staying full despite my struggle so I ended up putting one and one together. Sorry for the misinformation if so.

Was playing on UH and disabling the control towers does not recharge the armor. Dropped down to hard to check and still, nothing. There isn't any advantage of disabling vs destroying afaik.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Picked this up for $20 from Amazon. I see that Frozen Wilds price $14.99 price is in effect until May 8th, 2018. I wonder if that means there won't be a lower sale for the next six months? I'd like to get the DLC, but I'm not in a rush for it right now, given that I'm still playing BoTW.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Continuing on from my Ultra Hard save was a mistake, first proper machine fight took forever and that's after just running past the first stalkers you meet.

What's up with the new skill tree? Probably the worst part of the expansion, it's as bland and lazy as it gets. I literally never even used a mount in the base game.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Continuing on from my Ultra Hard save was a mistake, first proper machine fight took forever and that's after just running past the first stalkers you meet.

What's up with the new skill tree? Probably the worst part of the expansion, it's as bland and lazy as it gets. I literally never even used a mount in the base game.

Yeah it's nothing special. Really just QOL things that should have been in the base game imo.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Was playing on UH and disabling the control towers does not recharge the armor. Dropped down to hard to check and still, nothing. There isn't any advantage of disabling vs destroying afaik.
I think it'd be great to confer some kind of permanent advantage for hacking them but I'd also want it not to be possible to permanently screw yourself out of it by destroying the tower. shrug

Don't really care about the mount stuff and repairing machines is very silly since new mounts are a dime a dozen and non-mounted machines don't follow you around the world, but the expanded inventory space and the improved rare drops stuff is very nice.

I think there are loads of potential systems for Guerrilla to experiment with improving upon for the sequel, though, and serious improvement to enemy conversion (like, let me straight up have pet companions and improve their stats and abilities, let me ride even the biggest machines, etc) is one of those systems - if THAT were a thing, i'd be all about repairing them. Expanding the max health of mounts IS nice, though, if you ride a mount into battle - it helps them do that much more damage before they die.

For Horizon 2, the systems I want to see expanded the most are melee combat (specifically, a perfectly timed dodge should net you a critical strike opportunity, so you can basically be a stylish bullfighter), enemy conversion, and more/more interesting enemy pickups (i.e. being able to pick up a shellwalker's shield tech or a stalker's cloaking device in addition to the assorted weapons some enemies drop would be really badass).

Last edited:

Dash

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a map online yet anywhere for Frozen Wild's datapoints (quest/world)? I'm a sucker for the lore and I only have half.

Ruthless

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

Yeah it's nothing special. Really just QOL things that should have been in the base game imo.

Yes, I would have liked some more fleshed out skills. The QoL updates are still great, especially the increase to resource inventory and dismantling items for shards. Can't really think of anything other that they could have added to the skill tree except 'make previous skill better'. The base set of skills covers pretty much everything.

I think it'd be great to confer some kind of permanent advantage for hacking them but I'd also want it not to be possible to permanently screw yourself out of it by destroying the tower. shrug

Overriding still sends out a shock-wave that disables the machines in the radius. The DLC area isn't that big and multiple towers with a permanent advantage wouldn't make sense.

Terry Hendrix

Nov 6, 2017
I don't remember it being so dark at night. I did the Tall Neck Quest and it rolled into night and it was brutal. Could not see shit lol Also the time between me completing Horizon and this - my aim is off and I forget what strats I had for each machine. Wasting arrows left and right!

HDR on OLED set with night is too much -- in a good way. Made me think of how a dragon's dogma-like night mode would work with better display tech. :)

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
So I was on my way to a side-quest marker when I decided to start a fight with some smaller machines to complete a tutorial quest.

Big mistake. A few big cats came my way, then one of the new ones, then the bear looking thing. I ended up just running away on my mount lol.

I don't see shaders on water. Is that an old patch?
I think you're looking at ice-covered water, hence why no larger ripples (the effect for the ice breaking away is awesome though).

Voxels

Oct 27, 2017
There's something definitely wrong there. I would suggest uninstall, delete and reinstall. Mine does not look like that.

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
Only played a little today with the new patch but didn't notice anything like this. I'm on Pro, favoring performance.

If you played the DLC area on that specific part of the game there is no such issue. Game has the LOD transitions that were in the main game area as well prior the last couple of patches. It seems the LOD is screwed up only in main game world at the moment.

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
There's something definitely wrong there. I would suggest uninstall, delete and reinstall. Mine does not look like that.

Are you referring to the LOD i speak of? Have tested the location on my video? It would be really appreciated if you could fast travel there and do what i do in my video and see if you get different results. Cause if you do then something is wrong with my game.

I have already reinstalled the game and i even rebuilt my database and issue remains.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Is the DLC fun for a high level character? I'm not going to start over just to play the DLC. Also, I'm not even sure if I want to get this, I sold my copy last March. Best Buy has it for $16 and then I'd have to buy the DLC on top of that. AC: Origins and Shadow of War might be enough action open-world type of gameplay for me.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Any possible Death Stranding hidden secrets herre too? You know they may hide stuff that isn't announced yet for Death Stranding that may be related to it in anticipiation. You have to dig harder.

Also could you check if they improved refelctions on water and otehr things? They created a new better reflection model after Zero Dawn release. I wonder if they used it here. I noticed some effects like smoke are better and hair and facial motions are better.

Last edited:

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
The Tallneck...
The moment the auroras appear is quite special.

It's almost cliche at this point but The Frozen Wilds really reminds me why Horizon is my likely Goty candidate.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
First time I face a Frostclaw, I almost lost my shit in fear.

2nd time I had to face them was more fun cause I was ready to fuck shit up. Also I'm just running out of Blaze and Metal Vessel.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
So Waterlogged is the best Errand quest in the game right?
everyone was cracking me up in this quest. The drummer chick is soooo endearing. <3