• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
If you're having trouble with Ikrie's Challenge on Ultra Hard, here's how I beat it, with plenty of ammo to spare:

Before you start, stock up on health herbs, you can't use potions in this challenge. Also scope out the three hazard log piles, one opposite Ikrie and two more to her rear-left.

Wave I: 4 Scrappers
The most annoying wave because they're fast and there's four at once. It gets easier!

Lure the Scrappers to Ikrie for freezing and then try to focus on one at a time so you can track how much ammo you've used on each and to reduce their numbers. Hit each Scrapper with a couple of Hardpoint Arrows and then finish it off with Hunter Arrows. You'll want the Hardpoint Arrows for Wave III.

Wave II: 3 Grazers
Fire arrows - easy peasy.

Lure the Grazers well away from Ikrie so she can't freeze them, where they first spawn is good. Freezing stops machines from burning. Hide in the long grass and shoot one fire arrow into the blaze canisters of a Grazer and it'll catch fire, after a few seconds it'll explode and destroy the Grazer. Grazers herd together so usually the other two are caught in the explosion and take significant damage but it doesn't catch their blaze canisters alight. Shoot another fire arrow into a second Grazer's blaze canisters, when it explodes it's likely to destroy the third Grazer too, if not use another fire arrow, you won't need them after this.

Wave III: 2 Tramplers
No Ikrie. No.

Lure the Tramplers far from Ikrie so she doesn't freeze them. Fire six or seven Hardpoint Arrows into a Trampler's round belly component to make it explode, the explosion will also set the Trampler on fire and as long as Ikrie doesn't freeze it, it'll burn to death. Repeat for the second Trampler.

Wave IV: 1 Fire Bellowback
LOGS!

Bellowbacks are mostly slow so now's the best time to use those log piles. The two behind Ikrie have narrower paths beneath so it's easier to lure the Bellowback underneath and release the logs with a non-fire arrow. One log avalanche should be enough to kill, even without Ikrie freezing the Bellowback, but you should have more logs and arrows to spare.

If you're confident about your timing you could use one of the log piles on Scrappers or Tramplers to save ammo.

Thank Ikrie for her largely unhelpful assistance.

Last edited:

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Playing the base game for the first time on Hard and was curious if anyone had any tips or advice such as skills to aim for and weapons/gear to use? I have the frozen Wilds installed which gives me access to the new skill tree.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
WtSWBtl.gif
Awesome Gif! It is impressive, crazy and disappointing that the effects in this game are much more spectacular than the spell effects in FFXV. What there SE thinking with the spells in that game being so subdued?

calder

Oct 25, 2017
A great DLC, I'm almost done the main story (I'm pretty sure) and have done all the side quests.

Love the writing, new setting etc. I rolled in at level 50 having platinumed the base game and I found the new enemies to be very tough, probably because I was pretty rusty too. In fact for several hours I forgot all about how the sniper slow time worked, and how I could fire multiple arrows. Oops. ;)

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Playing the base game for the first time on Hard and was curious if anyone had any tips or advice such as skills to aim for and weapons/gear to use? I have the frozen Wilds installed which gives me access to the new skill tree.
The Tinker skill (I think that's what it's called) in the Forager tree is really useful. The one that let's you switch out your mods and pick up traps. Silent Strike is a must have but it'll probably be one of the first skills you get anyway. I'd also work on expanding your resources carrying capacity as soon as possible.

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why can´t I get into this?

Horizon is my GOTY, but for some reason I can´t play this for more than 20 minutes at a time.

_Rob_

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't played anything of Horizon. Do you think you could play Frozen Wilds with no prior knowledge, or is the base game a prerequisite?

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Oh, sorry, yes I understand that. But if I were to purchase the "Complete Edition", would I be able to play just this content (or play it first)?

I don't know why you'd want to do that, but no, you have to play the base game at least to a certain point before you can dive into the DLC content. It's also recommended for you to go at least a bit further than that, because the encounters in the DLC can wreck a low-level, under-equipped and under-experienced player fairly easily.

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, sorry, yes I understand that. But if I were to purchase the "Complete Edition", would I be able to play just this content (or play it first)?

Why are you so eager to play DLC to a game you haven't played yet? This makes no sense to me.

To actually answer your question no, you can't play it first. Even if you were to make a bee line for it after the introductory section, it's literally on the otherside of the map from where you start. And your gear would be shit for the area.

spladam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just finished the DLC using my original endgame Very Hard save, going to restart the NG+ from there so I have the new DLC perks and weapons already for Ultra Hard.
So... this is without a doubt my pick for game of the year, the DLC was majestic, to pick a single adjective, much like the base game. Love the story, the visuals and combat were amazingly cinematic, and the writing I feel is highly underrated. Some of the notes and recordings from the old world really appealed to me, touching some philosophical nerves of mine.

Game of The Year.

Good god, I can't get a scorcher heart to save my life.
Did we need them for something? I can't remember, I just sold a couple of them, but kept the lenses just in case.

So no one else had this issue where time of day wasn't advancing anymore?

I hope my game isn't glitched... :(
Are you still having this issue, I was wondering if it was just not attached to part of the DLC progression, as some DLC and Main game parts lock the time of day for the narrative and setting purposes.

Hey Sunhi, how did you get the animated snow in front of the photo mode shot with body pose? It looks great man.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
I think my PS4 controller is broken...I noticed this in EW2 but it didnt bother me that much and thought that maybe it was normal in that game but now in Frozen Wilds it does it also...when I pull L2 my character moves forward by herself...its not suppose to do that right...? havent touched the game since May.Also is there a general binding of keys on the PS4 outside of games like on the XBox...maybe thats messed up.

_Rob_

Oct 26, 2017
Why are you so eager to play DLC to a game you haven't played yet? This makes no sense to me.

To actually answer your question no, you can't play it first. Even if you were to make a bee line for it after the introductory section, it's literally on the otherside of the map from where you start. And your gear would be shit for the area.

I plan to play through the whole thing eventually, but I'm currently working on a snow level in my own game so I'm in the mood for some winter frolicking (and to gawp at the technicals)!

Thank you though, I guess I should just carve out some proper time to spend with the full package!

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Man, listening to Quality Control and hearing Plante and Justin being down on the game bummed me out. Especially the part about cheesing the machines with brute force cause I don't see that being the case with my play style.

When I first arrived and ran into that first Scorcher, I was like "okay I'm just gonna put a bunch of tripwires on the ground and fuck his shit up the easy way". But then those wires had no effect and I had my ass handed to me. But then I thought about how I was initially playing the game and scanned the machine for weakness. The Scorcher is weak to freeze arrows so I changed my strat accordingly and lo and behold, the Scorcher went down easily.

Also, having not played the game since March, I really didn't find it that difficult to get back into the swing of things with the game. Those dude made it sound like they had to relearn how to do rocket science when renentering the DLC. Did anyone have much trouble figuring out the systems/controls when playing the game again? I mean, the game really isn't that complicated to begin with right?

Also I don't think I'll ever understand why people have such a hard time with glinthawks. Fire arrows. That's it. Done.

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
I plan to play through the whole thing eventually, but I'm currently working on a snow level in my own game so I'm in the mood for some winter frolicking (and to gawp at the technicals)!

Thank you though, I guess I should just carve out some proper time to spend with the full package!

You can get to the DLC in an hour or 2, if you rush through the starting area I wouldn't recommend it, but its certainly doable. Plus, you still get plenty of snow stuff in the starting area.

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is a long shot since most of you already own the expansion, but has anyone read anywhere if the "digital content" (art book, gear, theme, etc.) included with the upcoming Complete edition will just be a one-time voucher? I know the expansion itself is on-disc, but I suspect the bonuses are a code.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
This is a long shot since most of you already own the expansion, but has anyone read anywhere if the "digital content" (art book, gear, theme, etc.) included with the upcoming Complete edition will just be a one-time voucher? I know the expansion itself is on-disc, but I suspect the bonuses are a code.
The digital art book and theme are codes. Everything else is on the disc according to Guerilla.

CM_Ace

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Just competed all the quests. My save file says it took 74 hours to complete everything in the game. Amazing dlc and cements Horizon as my Game of the Year.

Outstanding stuff, Guerrilla!

Oct 25, 2017
Varga is the best new character. I absolutely love her. Make sure you deliver the Bellowback parts to her first for a hilarious optional conversation.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just completed the DLC today. Wow what a fantastic add on / content and reminded me why Horizon Zero Dawn is firmly my Game of the Year

Gorgeous visual presentation throughout. The DLC didn't step down in terms of detail at all from the main game. The snow effects are just unbelievable.
Loved the bits of expanded lore / info about the universe we get here. Puts some things from the main base game into context
Combat as always is challenging and exciting. Best combat in an open world game ever imo
Aloy continues to just be a fantastic character

Overall this feels like a bit of a steal at $15 if you are PS+ member. I've done all the side quests as well and easily got over 10 hours out of this.

I wish we were going to get a 2nd expansion to this game but it doesn't look like we will since they already put out a "complete" edition for it. I would have gladly purchased another similar sized expansion. Either way can't wait for the sequel on PS5

2th

Oct 27, 2017
I actually used the contact form on GG's website xD First time I ever do this. But maybe twitter is better?

If you have bugs you can post on /r/Horizon on reddit. I know the GG community people read the sub a lot.

I should also mention, if you are making a new a brand new account to post things, you will get filtered out. If that happens just message me and I'll approve your comment(s).

Last edited:

vinicius

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Any good strategy for beating Fireclaws? Felt like an eternity to bring one down, even trying to freeze it. I don't know if my strategy is bad or if they're really that tough. (probably both)

Oct 29, 2017
Any good strategy for beating Fireclaws? Felt like an eternity to bring one down, even trying to freeze it. I don't know if my strategy is bad or if they're really that tough. (probably both)

Was wondering this too. I just fought the first one in the post-game and it emptied almost all of my resources. Explosions dont seem to do shit to this thing. Pulling him over with the ropecaster and doing a critical hit did about 300 damage but yeah, Im having a hard time finding effective weapons.

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Was wondering this too. I just fought the first one in the post-game and it emptied almost all of my resources. Explosions dont seem to do shit to this thing. Pulling him over with the ropecaster and doing a critical hit did about 300 damage but yeah, Im having a hard time finding effective weapons.

From afar, use tearblaster arrows on the belly and shoulder shoulders until you remove their armor. Then focus on hitting the belly, triple notch hard point arrows until the belly explodes. Once the belly goes, aim for the shoulders until they pop as well. Once they pop, there shouldn't be much left of it. Either use the icerail (waste of resources in my opinion) or just head shot them with hardpoint arrows. if you have the DLC bows, make sure to fully charge them before letting the arrows fly. If you are having trouble keeping them away from you, kite them around whatever rock or structure is handy, until you can reposition yourself.

Also, if you feel like it, you can hit its ass/tail, where there is a cluster of sparkers for more damage once you pop the shoulders/belly

Don't forget to triple notch the arrows (or triple load them, whichever you prefer). I completely forgot about this skill until about half way through the DLC

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Being locked into Ultra Hard is souring me on the game a bit. There's too many games and not enough time to spend 30+ minutes retrying every decent sized fight. Such a silly decision to disable difficulty tweaking.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
From afar, use tearblaster arrows on the belly and shoulder shoulders until you remove their armor. Then focus on hitting the belly, triple notch hard point arrows until the belly explodes. Once the belly goes, aim for the shoulders until they pop as well. Once they pop, there shouldn't be much left of it. Either use the icerail (waste of resources in my opinion) or just head shot them with hardpoint arrows. if you have the DLC bows, make sure to fully charge them before letting the arrows fly. If you are having trouble keeping them away from you, kite them around whatever rock or structure is handy, until you can reposition yourself.

Also, if you feel like it, you can hit its ass/tail, where there is a cluster of sparkers for more damage once you pop the shoulders/belly

Don't forget to triple notch the arrows (or triple load them, whichever you prefer). I completely forgot about this skill until about half way through the DLC

Definitely key. If you can, try to engage them from a distance. Though in any case, them Fireclaws don't fuck around; they always bring it.

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Definitely key. If you can, try to engage them from a distance. Though in any case, them Fireclaws don't fuck around; they always bring it.

Yup, but the quest he mentioned, every single Fireclaw encounter features, either a machine you can take over, or a big rock you can circle around to make it loose its tracking.

And I also forgot to mention the tearaway arrows can and will stun the Fireclaw after a few arrows

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, but the quest he mentioned, every single Fireclaw encounter features, either a machine you can take over, or a big rock you can circle around to make it loose its tracking.

And I also forgot to mention the tearaway arrows can and will stun the Fireclaw after a few arrows

Good point. My favorite of the post-game encounters was an area where there were two of them. It was especially fun overriding one and watching them duke it out haha

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My sister came around today who played games a lot with me growing up, but over the last 4-5 years she hasn't played much. She's seen me playing games and watching her boyfriend play.

I showed her Horizon and she picked out all the little details and was amazed. She was running around in circles in the snow, running away and coming back to see the footprints still there. She was stunned by the snow effects and the rainbow pools.

The thing that impressed her the most was the animation. She said that the creatures, machines and people look natural when moving. It goes to show that casual gamers do notice the details and that those details really bring the world to life.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Finally beat this tonight.
Such an awesome piece of dlc, reminds me of the amazing time I had with TW3 expansions.

Side quest quality was seriously stepped up, Guerilla need to go for even meatier, exploration, character heavy quests in Horizon 2 like in here. Really enjoyed Waterlogged especially!

Now I'm actually wishing there was another dlc piece for next year.

Anyway, amazing job overall GG, think this cements Horizon as my goty.

Side note: anyone taken out the five fireclaws post game? Man they are tough and a real resource drain.

Laulai best new character <3

Yeah awesome character. Pretty sure that was Elena VA from Uncharted? She did a great job.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
Being locked into Ultra Hard is souring me on the game a bit. There's too many games and not enough time to spend 30+ minutes retrying every decent sized fight. Such a silly decision to disable difficulty tweaking.
Ultra hard in the base game is fine but in the DLC, the aggressive new machines are really tough.

Rebetherick

Oct 26, 2017
After you finish the last mission and talk to
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
they mention that they will talk to you down the trail. Do they actually talk to you again?