• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Side to side or up and down?

• Horizontal

Votes: 74 36.3%
  • Vertical

Votes: 117 57.4%
  • Isometric

Votes: 13 6.4%

• Total voters

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
I refuse to call them "shmups"

If given the choice, would you rather play a horizontal shooter like R-Type or Gradius, or a vertical shooter like Aero Fighters? Or are you a Zaxxon fan, preferring isometric?

What are some of your favorite (preferably non bullet hell) shooters?

DECK’ARD

Creator of Worms
Verified
Nov 26, 2017
UK
Favourite shoot em ups:

Horizontal:
R-Type
Gate Of Thunder
Lords Of Thunder
Gradius V
Parodius

Vertical:
Radiant Silvergun
Nexzr
Star Parodier

Horizontal just edges it.

Last edited:

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
In general I prefer horizontal. Gradius and Parodius are my favorite shmup series, and Darius and R-Type are great too. A number of my all time favorite shmups are verticals though.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer vertical, but I don't hate horizontal shooters or anything like that.

I'm not good at any of them, but I guess my favorite shooters would be the 360 Dodonpachi games. I guess Raiden IV and V weren't really bullet-hell shooters and I liked those, too.

Darius Gaiden is a lot of fun to play too, on the horizontal side. My love for that game might be mostly from the soundtrack, though.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Vertical feels so much more natural to me. I actually have a hard time playing horizontal shooters.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I like a bunch of side scrolling ones, but somehow my brain parses vertical shooters better.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
I can hardly stand horizontal shooters, but some are quite fun and fair.

Vertical is like a frenzied dream to me. RAIDEN DX and MUSHIHIME-SAMA FUTARI 1.5 are the best examples.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I've always preferred vertical, I guess horizontal ones trigger some auto-scrolling platformer level response in my brain that makes me instinctively dislike them.

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
I like old-school vertical, but variety is good. In particular I'd like to see more variation in which horizontal direction they go in; it feels like 90% of horizontal shooters go from left to right.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Why not all directions

_MG_9940__18115.1591736055.jpg

philosoma

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
Thunder Force III, R-TYPE, and Darius Gaiden round out my top three shooters so I'm gonna say horizontal is my preferred type.

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
I tend to like vertical more. Pure bullet-dodging games tend to grab me more than ones with significant environmental navigation, although I love games from both subgenres.

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
All my Favs are Vertical unless where where talking about Pro-Gear and if where talking about Pro-Gear....hmmmmm.

My favorite is 19XX if just for those boss fights.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I enjoy a good number of vertical and horizontal shooters. It's the isometric ones that I have difficulty with on occasion, like Viewpoint or Xaxxon.

hongcha

Oct 27, 2017
I refuse to call them "shmups"

Hear, hear! I refer to them as 2D shooters or the Japanese abbreviation "STG" (< "ShooTing Game").

As for the question in your OP, I really prefer vertical shooters. I've played a lot of horizontal ones, but I never really enjoy them as much as the vertical ones. I love Ikaruga and a lot of the Cave games.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I was going to say that I do not have a preference, but it all depends on the presentation. Faster games seem to work better vertically whereas the more character-focused, level design oriented ones work better horizontally. I love too many games in both styles to really pick.

It is weird to imagine how relatively uncommon isometric shooters are now that OP brings them up though. I would love to see more myself.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Definitely horizontal since our screens default to wider than tall. There's nothing really forcing games to have horizontal shmups be in the side view rather than top down with the camera rotated.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
Vertical. Hell, even better if the game supports flipping the axis, so I can just rotate my monitor vertically and play the game just as God intended.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like the rail shooter perspective most even though there isn't as much quantity of good stuff as the others. I guess I have a slight preference for horizontal over vertical but it still mostly varies by game.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
For some reason, I WAY prefer vertical. Shmups being horizontal have straight up killed my enjoyment of a game before.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
cylindrical

Which is kinda like horizontal buch much better my friends.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
More into horizontal, if nothing else it seems like more of that type focus on level design and not just a screen full of bullet hell. I'm terrible at playing any of them regardless.

My real preference though is the much rarer flying into the screen rail shooter perspective like Afterburner or Space Harrier.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Maybe I lean slightly towards vertical.

There are just so many classics from 1943 to Mars Matrix to Xenon 2 Megablast...

But there's also awesome horizontal stuff, not just the obvious like R Type but also..

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Vertical tate mode is the only way I want to play Shmups. I've been itching to make a vertical arcade cabinet for awhile now.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Vertical > Horizontal > Widescreen Vertical (i.e. Jamestown)

I'm just more used to dodging left/right than up/down. On keyboard in particular up/down doesn't really work unless you rebind your keys.