• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yeah, yeah, I know. "How could that guy want even less story than we already got? We barley had any story in the first place!"

And that's kind of the point. The "story" that we got wasn't only very thin, it was also not very good and came all at once.
By the time the time everything with Rose and Oleana started happening, I became very satisfied with the Idea that Sword and Shield wasn't a game featuring a world-ending threat but was a story of two kids from a small town trying to become the very best. On top of that the way Rose couldn't wait even a single day to do what he wanted to do felt very forced for the sake of having some kind of huge menace before the credits start rolling. It would have been a nice change of pace to not have aworld-ending or world-conquering threat ever since Gen 3.

The part about Zaccian and Zamazenta that we got in the post game could have stayed as it was. That was nice enough.

With a region that is all about Gym Battles, I would have really liked if the plot of the game would have been solely about this as well instead of trying to force in a huge threat at the last minute.

But yeah, that's my take on the plot of Pokémon Sword and Shield.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with the sentiment that the idea of a world-ending threat is getting old, and while Sword and Shield do touch on that a bit, it's not nearly as much as previous games. I think the balance was well done, personally.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
I think you are not asking for less story, just a different direction. There is this common misconception that "more story" means a dangerous threat, a serious climax and heavy lore expositions, and maybe that is why we keep getting stuff like Sword and Shield or X and Y.

Lumines

Oct 25, 2017
What stands out to me particularly is the weird amount of "off screen" action this campaign has.

Jan 2, 2018
Yeah, it wasn't necessary, I agree with you on that.
It was tacked on at the end and didn't change my enjoyment of the game in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.