• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
What can Schiff do from here?

Inherent contempt. No courts needed. Fine them up to $25,000 a day to start. If still obstruction, the House can jail them themselves, again no courts needed.

Hasn't been used in 85 years, but we're beyond unprecedented times right now, so the only question is if the Dems are allowed to MEET the escalation.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Cant wait to see dems sternly request something happen and then do nothing about it.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
Uh... So the ICIG is only going to testify in a closed session, and the Acting DNI is only going to testify in an open session? Why not open/closed for both? Acting DNI only doing an open session seems super shady to me...

The whistle blower report is not meant to be public, they are probably going to get the meat of the complaint directly from that person and that person is not on the hot seat for why its being denied to them, the ICIG person was following protocols. Meanwhile the acting DNI went out of his way to block the report seemingly from something outside of his department, there is nothing for them to gain from him in closed session if they end up getting a decent amount from the ICIG session outside of putting the fucker on the spot for his behavior publicly.

Atlagev

Oct 27, 2017
The whistle blower report is not meant to be public, they are probably going to get the meat of the complaint directly from that person and that person is not on the hot seat for why its being denied to them, the ICIG person was following protocols. Meanwhile the acting DNI went out of his way to block the report seemingly from something outside of his department, there is nothing for them to gain from him in closed session if they end up getting a decent amount from the ICIG session outside of putting the fucker on the spot for his behavior publicly.

So if all of the important information is going to be in the ICIG's testimony, is there really a point to the Acting DNI publicly testifying when he'll just pull a Barr PR stunt to make Trump look good? I mean, we've seen this movie before, so will anything worthwhile really come out the Acting DNI's testimony? If I were Schiff, I'd be close to not even bothering with it.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine going and not answering questions probably saves him from contempt charges more than not showing up at all.

WaPo reports "complaint centers on Trump's communications with a foreign leader and a 'promise' he made"
OP
OP
chadskin

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017

The whistleblower complaint that has triggered a tense showdown between the U.S. intelligence community and Congress involves President Trump's communications with a foreign leader, according to two former U.S. officials familiar with the matter.

Trump's interaction with the foreign leader included a "promise" that was regarded as so troubling that it prompted an official in the U.S. intelligence community to file a formal whistleblower complaint with the inspector general for the intelligence community, said the officials, speaking on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.

It was not immediately clear which foreign leader Trump was speaking with or what he pledged to deliver, but his direct involvement in the matter has not been previously disclosed. It raises new questions about the president's handling of sensitive information and may further strain his relationship with U.S. spy agencies. One former official said the communication was a phone call.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
This alone should be enough to get Trump impeached. Dems need to grow a fucking spine and get on with it already.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"Schiff has demanded full disclosure of the whistleblower complaint. Maguire has defended his refusal by asserting that the subject of the complaint is beyond his jurisdiction"

I doubt we ever find out what this was, there is no way the system is going to allow an intelligence officer go over the President.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
"Schiff has demanded full disclosure of the whistleblower complaint. Maguire has defended his refusal by asserting that the subject of the complaint is beyond his jurisdiction"

I doubt we ever find out what this was, there is no way the system is going to allow an intelligence officer go over the President.

Yup, we are never going to know the details and people will have forgotten already in 5 odd days.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Trump recently moved the money out of the protect-Europe-from-Russia fund and into the "wall" fund. Could be related to that.

There are a lot of possibilities and this is certainly one of them.

Possibly, but my only issue with that theory is that the treason there seems...casual. Too casual for a whistleblower piece not to just be buried with the rest of the 3 years of counter-intelligence/grand jury material. Would it be because it's the only thing they might have on tape (in this potential scenario)?