• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Replaced original post with official confirmation:

CONFIRMED PS MOVE SUPPORT TOO!

Last edited:

Sweet Blue

Nov 1, 2018
Has anyone tried it? Is it worth it?
I know people had mixed opinions on the Panzer Dragoon remake, but I actually liked it.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Sega doesn't make sense. Gog for this but denuvo on some sega genesis games (sonic origins)

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
I think this is a great decision by the publisher/developers.

To me, this game looks pretty good, and given the option, I would like to play this on either my Series X or my new PC.

Tandemo

Oct 28, 2017
Without gyro on Xbox this is going to be 70% less fun

Wonder will the graphics look closer to the reveal trailer though

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
In for PC version and the hope of someone modding in lightgun support with something like GUN2CRT/GUN4IR

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I know people had mixed opinions on the Panzer Dragoon remake, but I actually liked it.

I really like it but the Switch is just not the best platform for this type of game. Framerate is all over the place (and absolutely tanks frequently in Horde mode), Gyro is a mess (though definitely better on Pro controller), and graphically it's all over the place.

Most of these will obviously be mitigated on more powerful platforms but beyond this stuff, I think the game's a shitload of fun. I've completed it multiple times now with all routes and all scientists saved.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
Bought this on Switch because I thought it would be fun to aim with the Joycons. Too bad I ignored all the reviews saying it was extremely unresponsive. Oh well, gonna double dip on PS5. Hopefully graphics improve even if just slightly.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox doesn't have gyro controls, right? Playing a light gun game with a standard controller sounds pretty grim.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Without a true light gun solution like Sinden I still don't get the point of this remake. Gyro at it's best was never gonna be good enough for the kind of twitch gameplay needed for a light gun shooter. While I've played plenty of old school light gun games with a controller out of necessity (no light gun as a kid, no crtv as an adult), I can't imagine spending full price for that in 2022.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
To be fair, the full price is still a reduced price. It was £22.49 on Switch, reduced to £17.99 if you owned Panzer Dragoon Remake too.
Which I do, my point is I would think you'd want to prioritize remaking other Sega titles for modern consoles, like Fighters Megamix, Burning Rangers, or Shining In The Holy Arc. I get HotD has the brand appeal, but like Virtua Cop if you can't come up with a better way to give people a light gun experience in 2022 you probably shouldn't give them this.

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Which I do, my point is I would think you'd want to prioritize remaking other Sega titles for modern consoles, like Fighters Megamix, Burning Rangers, or Shining In The Holy Arc. I get HotD has the brand appeal, but like Virtua Cop if you can't come up with a better way to give people a light gun experience in 2022 you probably shouldn't give them this.

Yeah but this is SEGA we're talking about. They are utterly ridiculous with their IP and what they seemingly will or won't do with it, despite the obvious. I'd honestly have thought a remake of Zombie Revenge would have made more sense in this day and age with the lack of light guns being a thing.

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
I really like it but the Switch is just not the best platform for this type of game. Framerate is all over the place (and absolutely tanks frequently in Horde mode), Gyro is a mess (though definitely better on Pro controller), and graphically it's all over the place.

Most of these will obviously be mitigated on more powerful platforms but beyond this stuff, I think the game's a shitload of fun. I've completed it multiple times now with all routes and all scientists saved.
I really don't see the issue with Gyro in this remake. As someone who'd use them over sticks every time in any game, the implementation seems fine. You rotate a joy-con differently than a Pro controller so you need to adjust the sensitivity and settings accordingly. But in the end, it's still Gyro aiming and not a Light Gun. If you try to use the joy-cons like it's a Light Gun, it will not work. I will also say mashing the trigger button for shooting as much as you do in this game is killer on the hands.

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I really don't see the issue with Gyro in this remake. As someone who'd use them over sticks every time in any game, the implementation seems fine. You rotate a joy-con differently than a Pro controller so you need to adjust the sensitivity and settings accordingly. But in the end, it's still Gyro aiming and not a Light Gun. If you try to use the joy-cons like it's a Light Gun, it will not work.

I'm not trying to use the Gyro like a Light gun, I'm using it as an alternative method to analogue controls and all my experiences with it - even after tweaking AND moving to the Pro Controller - it just never felt that great. Constant resetting, as well as hitting the reload button, AND shoot, means at any given time when playing with Gyro on Joycons/Pro it becomes a dance between three constant, different button presses.

This obviously isn't a game problem, but the hardware itself.

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but this is SEGA we're talking about. They are utterly ridiculous with their IP and what they seemingly will or won't do with it, despite the obvious. I'd honestly have thought a remake of Zombie Revenge would have made more sense in this day and age with the lack of light guns being a thing.

These are presumably low cost ports and will need fewer sales to make financial sense?

but surely you'd approach Meta if you're Sega/Namco with a good back catalogue of light gun games? And Meta would be crazy to not bankroll some remakes/compilations.

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
...surely you'd approach Meta if you're Sega/Namco with a good back catalogue of light gun games? And Meta would be crazy to not bankroll some remakes/compilations.

I literally made a thread about this last week, it kills me how this makes so much sense and yet hasn't been capitalised on.

www.resetera.com

There's so much potential for Lightgun games in VR that publishers aren't pursuing and it really sucks...

I know I'm not really saying anything that anyone with experience with both VR games and something like EmuVR don't already think, but with the recent release of The House of the Dead Remake, it's just made these thoughts far more potent again. That is: that VR feels like an incredible...

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
Ehhh, i want to support japanese games on Xbox whenever i can and they look good, i loved House Of The Dead Overkill on PC, but i do wonder how it will be to play with the standard Xbox controller, MS is oddly super conservative with their controllers and thus no Gyro or really much of a mechanic to help aim but the two sticks.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I get the impression these are the games Forever Entertainment wanted to remake and Sega just agreed to let them do it. They don't even publish these things. It's really no indication of a overriding policy beyond the fact that if you pitch it right there's a good chance Sega will allow you to use some classic IP. If someone wanted to make Zombie Revenge they'd probably let them.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

PC

LEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTT'SSSSSSSS GGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I get the impression these are the games Forever Entertainment wanted to remake and Sega just agreed to let them do it. They don't even publish these things. It's really no indication of a overriding policy beyond the fact that if you pitch it right there's a good chance Sega will allow you to use some classic IP. If someone wanted to make Zombie Revenge they'd probably let them.

I'd certainly say that pitching and agreeing to a modern remake for a light gun rail shooter minus the actual light guns still counts as SEGA continuing to be utterly baffling with their decisions regarding their IP heh.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Why is that.
I know that there are issues with the gyro which will be the case for other platforms too unless you are getting it for pc.
But i'm sure that the gyro thing will be fixed for switch which in the end will be the better version if they could manage that.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd certainly say that pitching and agreeing to a modern remake for a light gun rail shooter minus the actual light guns still counts as SEGA continuing to be utterly baffling with their decisions regarding their IP heh.
Sega Ubisofting the Blue Hedgehog's best games that defined the company in the '90s sure is something.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Why is that.
I know that there are issues with the gyro which will be the case for other platforms too unless you are getting it for pc.
But i'm sure that the gyro thing will be fixed for switch which in the end will be the better version if they could manage that.

Well it will also run at (hopefully) solid 60fps without compromise like the switch

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would Switch necessarily be the better version compared to the others? Doesn't PS5 have Gyro too?

Because what would be the best experience to a lightgun? Holding a whole controller or holding some pointer shape aka joycon. I really hate gyro using my switch pro for fps games as well. Moving your whole controller instead of only the right part is day & night difference. When you playing on a pc, your mouse isnt moving your keyboard. Its just better to have it splitted for gyro implemented games as a whole.

Well it will also run at (hopefully) solid 60fps without compromise like the switch

Even with that, the game is all about gameplay. It would not play a game like that we decent controlls. Which is also the current issue.
That said, in my view this game could have run 60fps based on the visuals.

squall12

Sep 11, 2018
getting this for ps5 with gyro the shooting will be aweasome.

Secretly wishing for ps5 version with dualsense controller support.

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Because what would be the best experience to a lightgun?

As I said upthread, with Gyro I'm not trying to play the game as a light gun shooter but rather as an alternative to using analogue control. With that in mind, it doesn't matter to me if I'm holding one Joycon or the Pro controller itself for motion controls, this is more about just not using the sticks. It sadly doesn't come within a mile of what a light gun would feel like, but I'd take the Gyro via Pro controller (or DualSense) over just using analogue sticks any day.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
My cousin used to have the arcade cab in his basement and we'd play it all the time

I curious to see how this plays using a mouse, but I'll wait for impressions before I buy it