• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lupianwolf

Oct 27, 2017

They also asked in a survey if people would be interested in console port. I would be.

This is week old footage, but I couldn't see it posted so lock if re-posted.

The GOAT

Nov 2, 2017
Why don't the zombies have any dismemberment or blow apart any more? That was most of the fun IMO.

DrMoguera

Oct 27, 2017
This seriously looks like everything I wanted from a House of the Dead sequel, like an alternate future where they didn't stop with 4 and just kept making them. Nailed everything from the VA, the dialogue, the story, the zombies, the setpiece stuff. Just awesome, hope I get the chance to play it sometime, either in an arcade or a console port.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope this comes to PC VR. Light gun games without any sort of motion control are boring and VR would be a perfect fit.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
VR is perfect for this shit. I am playing Rez and Until Dawn and wonder why there isn't even HotD or Planet Harriers for it yet.

I also played HOTD4 a shitload with the Guncon (or was this Move only?). Its sort of a shame that I sold my Ps3 because its the only way.

Xpliskin

Oct 28, 2017
Suffer like G did.

EDIT:

They need to work on those zombies burning up after dieing ...

Makes them feel weightless.

Last edited:

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks really amazing. I can't see this coming to consoles but If it is the case, count me in

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a faster HOTD4. Which is fine by me, but I'd personally prefer regular guns instead of machine guns.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
To all the people saying "VR!" I ask: how would two-player mode work?

Before you say "online!" I will say that no game in this genre has ever had online play, possibly because there is no acceptable amount of lag.

There was just a thread about this last week, and I'll say here what I said there: apart from PS Move support in a PS4 version, I don't believe there is any current platform physically capable of a home version right now, and since there's little to no market for PS Move games anymore I don't think that's going to be made. We'll need to wait for the next "light gun games are back!" period, last seen when PS Move was new and the Wii was still getting new games.

This is news to me, wonder if we'll see it in NA.

I think it's very likely that we see this game arrive at Dave & Buster's and Round1 in the next 1-2 years.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I want to play this with Move. C'mooooon. C'mooooooooooon.

Looks really weird tho. Like -- over-animated? I like the VA.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Looks fun but why did they lose the trademark leaving gaping holes and taking chunks off the zombies stuff? Hopefully this is just for this early version or something. Also, PSVR isn't really fit for these, you never feel like you're aiming a gun, just dragging a cursor around (note the game here being without a cursor outside the menus, that's how these are meant to be played, pure aiming skillz and fun so you need 100% accuracy from the hardware). The rest VR platforms could do it well though, they're 1:1 motion controls, right? So they could feasibly make proper aiming taking in account the position and angle of the controller in 3D space. SEGA could also release a lightgun for any non VR platform they put it out on if they intend to support said lightgun with more games, new ones like this or old ports of their classics. Lightguns in this flat panel era would either be 1:1 motion controls (real 1:1, not overpromised and underdelivered like Motion Plus and Move) like the VR controllers or for a cheaper but still okay option employ a system like the sensor bar and camera setup of the Wii remote. They could even have more than 2 points of reference for additional accuracy (Naomi arcade lightgun games used this system but had like 10 points of reference all around the screen, that's probably a bit much for a home set up) but you'd still need to stay in place after each calibration for the aiming to remain accurate. Better than PS Move but not perfect. I'd take it either way. Of course full VR lightgun games would be rad too, rather than ports of non VR games like this which won't really make use of the 360 degree movement VR allows. But it's a start! Do it SEGA, do it do it do it! With a PC version.

Last edited:

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
To all the people saying "VR!" I ask: how would two-player mode work?

Before you say "online!" I will say that no game in this genre has ever had online play, possibly because there is no acceptable amount of lag.

There was just a thread about this last week, and I'll say here what I said there: apart from PS Move support in a PS4 version, I don't believe there is any current platform physically capable of a home version right now, and since there's little to no market for PS Move games anymore I don't think that's going to be made. We'll need to wait for the next "light gun games are back!" period, last seen when PS Move was new and the Wii was still getting new games.
Uh, the Switch has both infrared and gyro options, unless you mean it's not strong enough to run it, in which case it all depends on how scalable the assets are.

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would happily play with a pad, I played HOTD3 on xbox with a pad, although the fact that it used shotguns helped.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Why can you see his hands reloading the gun? You're holding the gun! It's supposed to be you! Doesn't make sense.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Why can you see his hands reloading the gun? You're holding the gun! It's supposed to be you! Doesn't make sense.
Maybe you acquire new weapons over the course of the game and it's cool to see them while the gun you hold remains the same. Also it visually lets you know when you can't and can fire?

Last edited:

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You could be right, ive never played 4, despite owning HOTD1 on Saturn still, buying a Japanese DC for HOTD2 at launch, still owning HOTD3 on xbox, and HOTD 2+3 on Wii.

Should I buy 4, is it worth it?

You need a Move for it which isn't the best because it tends to drift (though that white/red gun shell felt nice). But I loved the game regardless. Its a perfect port (widescreen HD), and the Special edition is also hidden. Essentially its 2 games. Lots of replay value because there is hidden stuff and ratings etc. I rate it above 3.

Too bad the Guncon4 doesn't work with it, as it did work with Razing Storm and Deadstorm Pirates. It beats the Move to hell.

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Yeah give me House of the Dead on consoles again! Played the shit out of HotD 2 on Dreamcast and Wii!

But if it did I'd guess.it would be VR only? Light guns don't work on modern TVs do they? I'd love lightgun games on consoles!

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Uh, the Switch has both infrared and gyro options, unless you mean it's not strong enough to run it, in which case it all depends on how scalable the assets are.

Gyro isn't the same as pointing something at the screen and having your shots go there. And how would the IR work? Isn't it just one beam out of one Joy-Con? There's no sensor on the TV side or in the Switch itself, right? Maybe I'm just not understanding?

I'm not even considering whether Switch could run the game as is, I'm just focused on whether a lightgun-style setup is feasible.

Too bad the Guncon4 doesn't work with it, as it did work with Razing Storm and Deadstorm Pirates. It beats the Move to hell.

Pretty sure you mean the GunCon3, but yeah, that's one of biggest tragedies of last generation, if you ask me. You have a perfectly good gun peripheral, it works really well, and you can only play 3 games with it. Sigh.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
They make lightguns like they make Wii remotes when they want them to be on flat panels, see my previous post. That's how they make them for arcades too. For Switch they could even make a Labo gun shell if that endeavor is successful, but I'm not sure if the reflective IR tape would be enough to shoot from a certain distance so maybe a sensor bar type thing as with GunCon3 for PS3 would have to be bundled and somehow powered. It can't cost that much, I just ordered a cheap mayflash dolphinbar to make this type of system for my PC to use not only with Dolphin but also other software/lightgun stuff. The dolphinbar seemed the best option because it includes built in drivers and settings for the wiimotes so I won't have to mess with other programs on top of that, just the given emulator settings or simple software like touchmote for other stuff (I've seen people configure it for Mame with it on youtube).

Last edited:

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gyro isn't the same as pointing something at the screen and having your shots go there. And how would the IR work? Isn't it just one beam out of one Joy-Con? There's no sensor on the TV side or in the Switch itself, right? Maybe I'm just not understanding?

I'm not even considering whether Switch could run the game as is, I'm just focused on whether a lightgun-style setup is feasible.

Pretty sure you mean the GunCon3, but yeah, that's one of biggest tragedies of last generation, if you ask me. You have a perfectly good gun peripheral, it works really well, and you can only play 3 games with it. Sigh.

Yeah GC3, lol. I think its worse than GC2 (the stick added for that awful TC4 campaign ruins it somewhat), but its far better than the Move. The IR sensors really did help (though sort of a nuisance to hang to the sides of your TV. I figure it won't even work well on those current frameless ones. Or perhaps you could place them under your TV. Its better tech than Eye for these games.

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
They make lightguns like they make Wii remotes when they want them to be on flat panels, see my previous post. That's how they make them for arcades too. For Switch they could even make a Labo gun shell if that endeavor is successful, but I'm not sure if the reflective IR tape would be enough to shoot from a certain distance so maybe a sensor bar type thing as with GunCon3 for PS3 would have to be bundled and somehow powered. It can't cost that much, I just ordered a cheap mayflash dolphinbar to make this type of system for my PC to use not only with Dolphin but also other software/lightgun stuff. The dolphinbar seemed the best option because it includes built in drivers and settings for the wiimotes so I won't have to mess with other programs on top of that, just the given emulator settings or simple software like touchmote for other stuff (I've seen people configure it for Mame with it on youtube).

Good to know it's possible. I really miss light gun games.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
You've got it backwards, it's an IR camera. All you need is an emitter, which would be a $5 peripheral if that.

I'm not enough of a purist to insist on actual light guns