Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
The group was born out of frustration over the Justice Department's refusal to explain how it used a disputed dossier.
A group of House Republicans has gathered secretly for weeks in the Capitol in an effort to build a case that senior leaders of the Justice Department and FBI improperly — and perhaps criminally — mishandled the contents of a dossier that describes alleged ties between President Donald Trump and Russia, according to four people familiar with their plans.

A subset of the Republican members of the House intelligence committee, led by Chairman Devin Nunes of California, has been quietly working parallel to the committee's high-profile inquiry into Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election. They haven't informed Democrats about their plans, but they have consulted with the House's general counsel.

The people familiar with Nunes' plans said the goal is to highlight what some committee Republicans see as corruption and conspiracy in the upper ranks of federal law enforcement. The group hopes to release a report early next year detailing their concerns about the DOJ and FBI, and they might seek congressional votes to declassify elements of their evidence.

That final product could ultimately be used by Republicans to discredit special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into whether any Trump aides colluded with Russia during the 2016 campaign — or possibly even to justify his dismissal, as some rank-and-file Republicans and Trump allies have demanded. (The president has said he is not currently considering firing Mueller.)

Republicans in the Nunes-led group suspect the FBI and DOJ have worked either to hurt Trump or aid his former campaign rival Hillary Clinton, a sense that has pervaded parts of the president's inner circle. Trump has long called the investigations into whether Russia meddled in the 2016 election a "witch hunt," and on Tuesday, his son Donald Trump Jr. told a crowd in Florida the probes were part of a "rigged system" by "people at the highest levels of government" who were working to hurt the president.
The group is relying on the same documents and testimony provided by top Obama administration officials — such as former acting attorney general Sally Yates, former attorney general Loretta Lynch and former UN ambassador Samantha Power — who were grilled as part of the intelligence committee's broader Russia probe.

It's unclear how many members of the intelligence committee are participating in the side effort. Lawmakers on the full committee interviewed by POLITICO refused to discuss it.

"I don't talk about what we do behind closed doors," said Rep. Mike Conaway (R-Texas), who's leading the intelligence committee's bipartisan Russia probe. "I'm not going to talk about that," said Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.), another member of the panel.
Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.), the top Democrat on the House intelligence committee, said he wasn't aware of the Nunes effort but said it fit with what he sees as an increasingly destructive bent in Republicans' rhetoric and actions.

"I think what we are seeing in our committee ... is an effort to attack the Department of Justice, an effort to attack the FBI, to attack Bob Mueller, is an effort to undermine the investigations and these institutions out of fear of what they'll find and try to discredit them in advance," he said. "It's a pernicious thing to do that will ultimately inflict long-term damage on these institutions."

The Nunes-led group is the latest evidence of an increasingly toxic and bruising confrontation between Republicans on Capitol Hill and the highest ranks of the justice system. Some Hill Republicans are irate about the Justice Department's refusal to provide more details about its investigation of Trump associates' ties to Russia. They're also frothing over the FBI's handling of the Trump-Russia dossier, which GOP lawmakers have openly mocked as "discredited" and "disproven."
https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/20/house-republicans-quietly-investigate-doj-fbi-310121

Nunes barely out of penalty box and already at it, again. Basically throwing fit because DOJ / FBI wont share with him details what, how, when and why they are investigating in relation to Russia. Also goes to that DOJ / FBI purge that some right side nutters have been begging for on FOX.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are they afraid of being found out?

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
Crazy times. They aren't going down without a fight. I get the feeling Mueller could bring top tier evidence and the Republicans wouldn't budge while they try to dismantle them. I hope there is good folk in the American system who will save the country. You have to wonder if you are standing against the investigation, FBI etc. then you must be guilty beyond doubt if that's your chance at an out, siding with Trump and the Republican Party.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus fuck. House GOP are truly traitorous scumbags.
Literally give more of a fuck what Russia thinks than our own intelligence agencies.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Didn't Nunes recuse himself from the Russia investigation?

What part of recusal is this? Isn't this sort of action showing why his complete recusal was necessary?

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
This guy has a lot of skin in the game along with Gowdy because they were both part of the transition team and both in those emails that Mueller has. This is the trapped in a corner lashing out.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
There's no way Nunes isn't complicit in the coordination between dipshit's campaign & Russia. Here's hoping this smear campaign doesn't work; I'd love to see Nunes get indicted.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the dossier is "fake," but the FBI's handling of it is criminal, verging on conspiracy. And they know all this even though the FBI has yet to publicly comment on anything they've found, which is nothing because it's all fake.

What?

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
This isnt good

This means they've all agreed that since trump can't fire Meuller, he will need them to discredit him instead

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isnt good

This means they've all agreed that since trump can't fire Meuller, he will need them to discredit him instead
The exact opposite. They are building their case legit or not to justify the firing of Mueller and a Purge of Law Enforcement so that it can be rebuilt as Trumps personal army

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The exact opposite. They are building their case legit or not to justify the firing of Mueller and a Purge of Law Enforcement so that it can be rebuilt as Trumps personal army

Good luck with that GOP. They're already losing swing voters, I can't wait until they go full blown down the abyss.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crazy times. They aren't going down without a fight. I get the feeling Mueller could bring top tier evidence and the Republicans wouldn't budge while they try to dismantle them. I hope there is good folk in the American system who will save the country. You have to wonder if you are standing against the investigation, FBI etc. then you must be guilty beyond doubt if that's your chance at an out, siding with Trump and the Republican Party.
Probably rotten from top to bottom, the whole GOP is hopefully as good as dead after this.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I can't help but be surprised that republicans seem so ready to cape for Trump and against the IC because it's inconvenient.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Dossier is fake but besides the pee tape it's all checked out hasn't it?

And this shit has gotten so dumb that there is no way the pee tape isn't real

AlphaDump

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
it feels like something needs to happen in a major way before Republicans can undermine the investigation. Like Nunes is just doing what ever the fuck he wants. Where is the counter ops that is defending us from a literal coup?

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

Thats my take. They are making up the "news" for their propaganda sites, Fox/Facebook. So there will be a grey argument to be had about why Trump fired Mueller, and culls the FBI/CIA of anyone thats said something critical of him. We are past the point of them needing facts/evidence. They just need a convincing enough story, with a few more examples.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
And here we go......

It's amazing that when it came to Hillary and that bs about her emails, this didn't happen.

This is like 1000 times worse, and they want to discredit Mueller....

Amazing. Simply amazing.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
So the dossier is "fake," but the FBI's handling of it is criminal, verging on conspiracy. And they know all this even though the FBI has yet to publicly comment on anything they've found, which is nothing because it's all fake.

What?

This is what I'm trying to get my head around as well. Maybe they think that if they can show that several inquiries / task forces / FISA warrants were sparked by the Steele Dossier, which they consider discredited or will discredit in the near future, they can undermine all them? Or do they want to find and punish the people who leaked it to the press?

And it's not like the whole case hangs on the dossier; allied intelligence services shared similar assessments before Steele offered his memo to the FBI (the joint task force looking at covert Russian financial aid to Trump was already running when that happened.)

There must have been reason both Obama and Trump were briefed on this particular bit of RUMINT - that's not a normal state of affairs and no way it was all based on a single document.

leeky

Oct 27, 2017
Republicans vs America : the fight continues. Why's it gotta be in secret? WHAT ARE YOU HIDING NUNES?

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How did I know it was Nunes before I clicked on the thread? This dude is ride or die for Trump.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Now I'm thinking back to when trump typed in all caps do something. We joked about it, like it was a cry for help...but it looks like they are doing something...

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Something tells me the FBI/Ic knows this and aren't sitting on their thumbs while fuckboi Nunez does his thing.

Oct 27, 2017
FYI, Tulare county has the second highest teenage pregnancy rate and the second highest unemployment rate in the nation. And Devin Nunes spends his time doing this.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
What are they afraid of being found out?

Gen. Flynn supposedly asked Nunes about the prospects of bringing that Muslim cleric to Turkey under false pretenses to have him arrested at the airport there. Among other discussions to improve US-Turkey "relations".

One of the the things I hope Mueller asked Flynn about for his agreement.

http://www.businessinsider.com/devin-nunes-michael-flynn-turkey-russia-2017-11

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ex-cia...ed-removal-of-erdogan-foe-from-u-s-1490380426

http://www.newsweek.com/mueller-investigation-what-flynns-flip-flop-turkey-tells-us-724600

10. Flynn, Turkish FM Meet over Breakfast at Trump Hotel (Jan. 18, 2017)

McClatchy reported that Flynn met Turkish foreign minister Mevlut Cavusoglu over breakfast on Jan. 18 to discuss U.S.-Turkish interests. It was later reported byBusiness Insider that Republican Rep. Devin Nunes, Chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, was also present at the closed-door meeting at the Trump Hotel in Washington, D.C.

Pro-government Turkish newspaper Daily Sabah reported at the time of the breakfast that the meeting was "a first direct reachout between the President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan administration and the incoming Donald Trump administration."

An aide to Cavusoglu told the paper that that "Çavuşoğlu was the only foreign leader at the breakfast and the topics on the U.S.-Turkish agenda were discussed by the attendees." Cavusoglu would later attend Trump's inauguration.

Met w/General Flynn,who will assume the position of National Security Advisor, and other officials at a working breakfast in Washington D.C.

^keep in mind, Trump wasn't President yet. So Flynn was doing more shady shit behind Obama's back during the transition.

Last edited:

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel bad for the decent Republicans because this administration is giving them such a bad name. Sometime in the near, the word Republican might become an insult.

Dai101

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Trump's pathetic lap dog at it again.

15111.jpg

Also, the rest of the world agrees.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad for the decent Republicans because this administration is giving them such a bad name. Sometime in the near, the word Republican might become an insult.

At this point, there is no decent Republicans. Sure, they themselves may not be doing this stuff, but by staying silent and not doing anything to stop all this while still being part of this, they are complicit

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It really should, purge the party from your country and ban it. Nobody needs these people and their "values".
There are enough other parties in other countries that have some of the "saner" talking points of them that you can copy free of charge.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Weird how repubs say they're the freedom-loving patriotic ones. Fucking joke. US is on its last legs and they are currently in the process of fucking it to death.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gen. Flynn supposedly asked Nunes about the prospects of bringing that Muslim cleric to Turkey under false pretenses to have him arrested at the airport there.

One of the the things I hope Mueller asked Flynn about for his agreement.

are we in a bad bourne identity movie