• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
zCEiIWe.jpg

We are seeing a growing trend of more games featuring playable female protagonists (about damn time). However, for the life of me, aside from Chloe Frazer (whose age I had to google because looks like someone in her late 20s) I cannot remember a single game where the protagonist was designed to the following:
  • Be a woman
  • Be visible to the player (i.e. not a floating camera all the time)
  • Be in her late 30s to late 40s.
Note, I mostly game on consoles and so pardon my ignorance if this is a common point of representation among PC indies.

It does come off like the industry as a whole worked its way up from a white male youths as protagonists -> a mixture of white male youths and middle aged white men -> mixture of young and middle aged men and young women (mostly white). That said, in your opinion/from your observation, why has this been the case?

Do note that I am not counting 1000 year old dragon ladies, ageless vampires, gods, demi-gods and supernatural beings who have stopped visibly aging past their late teens to late 20s as well as player defined characters. Some of the games I have played featuring older protagonists within the last decade or a bit more:
  • Nathan Drake in UC4- supposedly ~39
  • Joel in TLoU 1- supposedly ~50s
  • Kratos in GoW 1 (before ascension to Godhood)- supposedly ~38
  • Chloe Frazer in Uncharted Lost Legacy- supposedly ~39
So, is the beginning of the next chapter in representation where we see more LGBTQ as well as well older women (including PoC who fall into said categories) in gaming? We have witnessed (playable) older men be cast into many roles- from father figure to survivor. It is time to give older women their due. After all, the industry itself is growing older and more diverse and so are its earliest audience.

Edit: Corrected Joel's age.

Last edited:

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Isn't this the actress from Game of Thrones who plays like the female knight? Looks quite a bit different than there, unless she was just doing the voice and not the likeness.

OP
OP
Hey Please

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Not cool.

Karens are defined by a set of specific hate filled and destructive actions rooted in entitlement and/or bigotry, not age and appearance.

Isn't this the actress from Game of Thrones who plays like the female knight? Looks quite a bit different than there, unless she was just doing the voice and not the likeness.

Heh, you are thinking of actress, Gwendoline Tracey Philippa Christie. This is not her. I also do not think she is the VA for the protagonist.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Not cool.

Karens are defined by a set of specific hate filled and destructive actions rooted in entitlement and/or bigotry, not age and appearance.

Heh, you are thinking of actress, Gwendoline Tracey Philippa Christie. This is not her. I also do not think she is the VA for the protagonist.

Why did you write out her whole name like that lmao

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): sexist trolling around representation
They should rename this "Karen's Revenge" without adding any context for that name in the game.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): sexist trolling around representation
They should rename this "Karen's Revenge" without adding any context for that name in the game.

She will not rest until she settles things with the manager. Even death won't stop her.

But yeah, this is pretty rare. Middle-aged protagonists as a whole a pretty rare, let alone women.

OP
OP
Hey Please

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Oh I thought it was confirmed to be her? Then yeah, that makes sense

I may be wrong but I checked out her IMDB page and there is no mention of the title in her list of work.

The Last of Us takes place 20 years after the outbreak, when Joel had a 12-year-old daughter. Do you really think Joel became father at the age of eight?

Oh jesus! I forgot it took place 20 years after that opening segment! IIRC he was in his 30s at the very beginning and thus that would make him around 50s when the game began in earnest.

I will correct the OP. Thanks.

Why did you write out her whole name like that lmao

Ctrl + C -> Ctrl + V

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
I'm going to need some sources cited for the ages of...any of those game characters, including this one.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
One of my favourite CACs I ever made was a middle aged female medic in the Division. I felt unique as I never saw anyone else who looked like me.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I thought this looked really cool! Will definitely be playing it. Housemarque are a decent studio and hope their first try at AAA is a successful one.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I was real glad to see a protagonist like this in the game's trailer but once the gameplay started I noticed that it's still the same ass-focused camera and weird hip-based movement animations that just look really weird and male-gazey.

But I love the concept and everything else about it and Housemarque's other games. Maybe it's still early or maybe I'm being too harsh.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
My personal game of the show, and yes, one of the first things that struck me was that she was an older woman protagonist which is extremely rare to see.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I was already sold on this due to concept and Housemarque, but as a 42 year old this is more than welcome and it honestly stood out and makes me want to play it even more.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We also need some more straight female representation too. Too often we get a red haired, assexual or gay female character (since companies think they can pander to males too having a character who has the same interest as the presumed "straight male guy" that plays videogames.)

Senua was amazing in that regard.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
If you're looking to play as some: Assassin's Creed Syndicate's DLC had Evie in her 40s, and Billie Lurk in Dishonored: Death of the Outsider is in her 40s as well.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
She's an interesting protagonist. Hopefully the story turns out to be good, it'll be the first time Housemarque are taking on a game of this scale.

EDIT - Deleted joke that was in bad taste. My bad.

Last edited:

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
As I've gotten older, I really wish to see other characters age.
Like Chun Li should be pushing 40 in the games. She's a longtime veteran. I would prefer an older Lara Croft in future Tomb Raiders.
Bring it on man, there's nothing wrong with showing a little age. Same with the guys. Give me Ryu with some gray hairs in his beard!

OP
OP
Hey Please

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I'm going to need some sources cited for the ages of...any of those game characters, including this one.

For Uncharted 4, I got the alleged age from the Wikis (timeline). For Uc TLL it was NeoSeeker (which is why I am still uncertain. However, given Nate and Chloe's history, they cannot be very far apart age-wise) For GoW, it is based on reddit speculation based on spartan culture and GoW1's dialogues. More importantly, I did weigh how they old they visibly seem to be.

Mar 25, 2019
I think you nailed a part of it with the industry working its way up to more diversity. I would guess they are growing with the audience as well as the people making them. Gaming seems like it was soley young white males initially, so as more people have gotten the chance to make games, more chance for representation have come about. And it's with age too, the people making games when this industry was starting out were all pretty young and we now have more older creators in the industry who grew up with games.

Also, though obviously not a solution, this is why I love games with character creators that include an age option and middle-age older voices. I always rock a badass grizzled female expendables style team in xcom

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I think we will see more, yes. Of course while any representation of different types of people is awesome it's important that it becomes more and more common in the AAA/AA space - for obvious reasons. So good in Housemarque for this.

Returnal is still a bad name though lol

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
We also need some more straight female representation too. Too often we get a red haired, assexual or gay female character (since companies think they can pander to males too having a character who has the same interest as the presumed "straight male guy" that plays videogames.)

Senua was amazing in that regard.

Yeah, hilariously, straight romance where the MC is a woman is rare

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
Took only one comment for someone to downplay the significance of this and attempt to derail. cool look

Frankly I don't have much faith that this signals a sea change in gaming at large, but a specific choice by this dev team. I expect a steady rise in diversity in indie projects (and there already has been in recent years) but AAA has been slower and more reluctant to follow. Maybe for those indies it's easier to justify a 'non-traditional' protag when your game is already less concerned with following mainstream conventions in terms of gameplay, structure, etc. But it's bullshit that it even needs extra justification to begin with.

OP
OP
Hey Please

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Returnal is still a bad name though lol

I do so concur.

As I've gotten older, I really wish to see other characters age.
Like Chun Li should be pushing 40 in the games. She's a longtime veteran. I would prefer an older Lara Croft in future Tomb Raiders.
Bring it on man, there's nothing wrong with showing a little age. Same with the guys. Give me Ryu with some gray hairs in his beard!

They are icons. We age and they stay the same.

Yeah, hilariously, straight romance where the MC is a woman is rare

You know why this is right... It makes the insecure straight man uncomfortable.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
She was the most interesting thing about the game.

I found the Heterochromia far more..... Distracting.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
What is with the dismissive "Middle-age women = Karen" takes in this thread? Why is this type of stereotyping allowed on Era?

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
I would really like to see a middle-aged Samus Aran who's more experienced and worldly but knowing nintendo she will be forever 21.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
No, the protagonist from Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is a middle aged woman, Voice actor is in her 60s.
edit 2: I was right the first time.
so just a couple, then. I see.

I would really like to see a middle-aged Samus Aran who's more experienced and worldly but knowing nintendo she will be forever 21.
+1

They need to make that game with The Boss from MGS, even she goes to space in her story.
+1

OP
OP
Hey Please

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Took only one comment for someone to downplay the significance of this and attempt to derail. cool look

Frankly I don't have much faith that this signals a sea change in gaming at large, but a specific choice by this dev team. I expect a steady rise in diversity in indie projects (and there already has been in recent years) but AAA has been slower and more reluctant to follow. Maybe for those indies it's easier to justify a 'non-traditional' protag when your game is already less concerned with following mainstream conventions in terms of gameplay, structure, etc. But it's bullshit that it even needs extra justification to begin with.

Thanks for hitting the nail on the head- "extra justification" has been the prerequisite for implementing non-white and/or non straight and/or non male protagonist in the industry for the longest time especially in the AAA space. Thankfully, things have been turning around for a while, albeit with rather glaring blindspots.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
ugh great thread OP. Shame some idiotic 'karen' memes have flooded it already

I applaud more inclusion of diversity across sexes, ages, ethnicity etc in video games. It's fantastic. The fact that Herman said it's their new 'franchise' instead of game makes me think Sony is fully backing the devs too. I hope that rumor of ND's auditions for a new games is also accurate.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This was a great moment in the presentation.

Now if we can have more middle-aged protagonists, as well as more black, asian, trans, disabled, queer, and asexual representation, as well as characters from different faiths and cultural backdrops, that'd be great too.

Diversity is great for everyone and makes for more diverse narratives and experiences too.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First thing I noticed about it. Great to see a more diverse line up of main characters. About time.

Always playing as Mr 30's white male with the attitude of Han Solo was getting stale as fuck.