Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
www.visualcapitalist.com

Charted: How Americans Feel About Federal Government Agencies

Fourteen of 16 federal government agencies garnered more favorable responses than unfavorable ones. But what were the outliers?

Americas-Opinion-On-Their-Govt-Department_Web_05012023.jpg

We chart the results from an opinion poll conducted by Pew Research Center between March 13-19, 2023. In it, 10,701 adults—a representative of the U.S. adult population—were asked whether they felt favorably or unfavorably towards 16 different federal government agencies.

Broadly speaking, 14 of the 16 federal government agencies garnered more favorable responses than unfavorable ones.

Of them, the Parks Service, Postal Service, and NASA all had the approval of more than 70% of the respondents.

Only the Department of Education and the IRS earned more unfavorable responses, and between them, only the IRS had a majority (51%) of unfavorable responses.

There are some caveats to remember with this data. Firstly, tax collection is a less-friendly activity than say, maintaining picturesque parks. Secondly, the survey was conducted a month before taxes were typically due, a peak time for experiencing filing woes.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
what is the government doing about apple ipad commercials

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i feel like 80% of people fantasize about living in a Firewatch station for 3 months

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I work for the EPA and the reception we get is 100% colored by the reason you're interacting with us. You're either happy we're in your community or we're part of the problem and IN your community.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
i would love to see what respondents think the federal reserve does

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
Good to see the National Park Service back in high esteem. They took a beating for a while there, with certain crowds dubbing them "pine pigs" because they didn't let people start fires and shit.

machtia

Oct 29, 2017
NPS being so high is hilarious if you live near DC, because everyone here hates them for not maintaining any of their roads.

Dec 17, 2022
I don't see my agency there… that's a good sign!

HHS is more unfavorable than I expected. Surprised IRS isn't EA levels of unliked.

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
The federal reserve isn't a defacto government agency. It's a centralized bank created by a government order. The government nor the people it represents do not own the federal reserve. It's owned by national and state chartered banks that appoint their own presidents that are overseen by federal appointed governors. The best answer you'll get is it's an "independent government entity" but that doesn't seem to really tell the whole truth concerning whose interests are being served the greatest concerning the monetary policy and influence the entity wields.

It's a whole other topic to say how at this point the current government needs the fed, or how the economy needs the Fed to continue to prop up the government, or how any real changes to the government would first need changes to it's dependence on the Fed.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
*standing on a soapbox*

Americans wouldn't be so annoyed by the IRS if we actually consistently funded it!

It's true! The tax police are actually a big boon to America!

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The federal reserve isn't a defacto government agency. It's a centralized bank created by a government order. The government nor the people it represents do not own the federal reserve. It's owned by national and state chartered banks that appoint their own presidents that are overseen by federal appointed governors. The best answer you'll get is it's an "independent government entity" but that doesn't seem to really tell the whole truth concerning whose interests are being served the greatest concerning the monetary policy and influence the entity wields.

It's a whole other topic to say how at this point the current government needs the fed, or how the economy needs the Fed to continue to prop up the government, or how any real changes to the government would first need changes to it's dependence on the Fed.
Yep. Kinda irks me it's even included there.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Actually surprised at how high NASA is.

NASA is a surprisingly bipartisan effort, I think conservatives took a lot of pride in what the Apollo missions represented, big time America #1 vibes. Then of course there's the jobs and invaluable spin off technologies that came along with it, and the fact that space is awesome.

The disapprovals are coming from flat earthers and Apollo deniers, basically just the extreme end of anti govt folk.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
IRS gets a bad rap when they are actively hamstrung by Congress. People would like them more if they had an easier job going after wealthy tax cheats and didn't have to deal with laws preventing them from making filing easier.

ForBeers

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be interested to see the numbers for BLM, ATF, and the judiciary. Maybe a separate poll for SCOTUS.