• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Sure the argument can be made that its up to the consumer to redeem the titles themselves, it isn't exactly a large time investment. However, I think most of us can relate that having several subscriptions to various services be it video streaming or game related, it's very easy to forget you even have these things to redeem on a monthly basis.

I think it's absurd and borderline anti-consumer that if you've already been paying for these services that neither Sony or Microsoft can't seemingly implement a system that automatically posts these licenses to your account. The ability to redeem these is included in the subscription cost, so why is it necessary to do it manually? We're all a bit forgetful at certain times, and it feels like a bit of a cheat to not be able to redeem titles because you missed an arbitrary window. If you're enrolled in a service, be it X-Box Live or PS Plus, for whichever month these titles are offered, you should be able to redeem them whenever.

Admittedly part of this is some personal salt at having recently picked up a PS5 and not being able to redeem PS Plus titles like Bugsnax and Worms Rumble after the months they were offered, when I was already paying for my PS Plus sub for those months.

At least with something like Epic Games Store the freebies aren't tied to any investment or subscription, so can't say I'm bothered if I miss redeeming one of those.

Curious what the rest of Era thinks of this. Am I just being lazy and entitled, or do you think these services should allow you to redeem the monthly selection at any time as long as you were subscribed to the service for those specific months said games were offered in?

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it should definitely be automatic.

I can see why people wouldn't want it that way on PS though, since their licensing system is atrocious and doesn't allow you to buy the game after.

Apr 19, 2018
Germany
I only sub to these services if the monthly games are interesting for me so this is usually not an issue for me. I bet if i would sub for 12 months or so i would forget too which definitely sucks.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Admittedly part of this is some personal salt at having recently picked up a PS5 and not being able to redeem PS Plus titles like Bugsnax and Worms Rumble after the months they were offered, when I was already paying for my PS Plus sub for those months.
What do you mean not able to redeem? I grabbed them on the phone app.

Not sure about this but the devs might get paid according to how many copies are redeemed or something.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
They want to give you a choice.

Some people don't want some games.

Also, they are hoping people forget to redeem.

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017

You could have been redeeming them before you got a PS5 through the web store.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
you didn't need a ps5 to redeem these. i haven't found one yet, but waa still able to redeem these games by adding them to my library via the pc browser shop

coolasj19

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, Texas
I'm pretty sure part of the reimbursement contracts for some these games is "amount of people that redeem it" which also equals "the amount of people that care to redeem it". It's how the systems work.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I'll be the contrarian here. I don't want every game tied to my account automatically. Some of them are trash and I don't want them forever in my library.

And yeah, I always assumed the publishers get paid based on how many redeem the game.

Does this term even mean anything anymore on this forum?

Apparently it means "anything I don't like" now. Lol.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
I don't know how the publishers benefit from these arrangements, but I guess one possibility is it could lead to an increase in Gold / PS+ prices if every subscriber automatically gets all the games each month.

Also personally, I'd rather not clog up my 'owned games' library with crap I'd never play even if it is free, so I actually rarely redeem any of the games

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure it's valuable to the platform holders and publishers to see which users are opting to download which titles within the respective monthly drops. Data is key and having these monthly insights will help determine which games are included as the years go by.

I'm not sure the barrier to redeeming is particularly egregious for consumers. It's literally clicking a button on a number of devices and we have all month to do so.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
Remember when Apple, I think, put a free U2 album on everyone's iPhone and people got mad? Yeah.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
As mentioned, they are probably interested in the data. And also, the chance that you have to log in and browse around might lead to consumers buying some extra stuff.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
They want to give you a choice.

Some people don't want some games.

Also, they are hoping people forget to redeem.
This, basically. Some people simple don't want them, and yeah, it probably costs Microsoft and Sony less if fewer people redeem them.

Does this term even mean anything anymore on this forum?
It usually means you can safely take what the person misusing it says with a grain of salt.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Why is it anti consumer to have you click 3 to four times in your cellphone or console to redeem a game? Also, OP, you could've redeemed the games on a pc browser or smartphone app. You don't need the console to do so.

Oct 25, 2017
Can you redeem this from xbox without a console? i have ultimate just for game pass in pc for over a year and i have never redeem a single one.
I know in PS you can in the app or website.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I really don't want a load of games in my library that I'll never download.
Also, if it auto adds then how do they track what games people are more interested in?

AM_LIGHT

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's more annoying with games with gold when you own GP ultimate. I haven't bought a series xbox yet since I sold my one X , so redeeming them through the website is a hassle. They are mostly shit but I feel compulsed redeeming them anyway.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Did Sony ever resolve the issue in PS4 PSN if you wanted to buy a game digitally you already have on Plus?

MS's implementation is much much better.

Oswald

Nov 26, 2019
The fact you didn't care enough about these games when they were "free"/included in Plus to learn about downloading them via your PC/app, but only now you seem to care because you have the device...say you never really wanted them in the first place. If you really cared, you'd buy a copy & support the developer, but really it's just this FOMO of not getting something for free.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
It gets you to open the store again and a big banner of a new sale will appear with PS+ discount giving you the incentive of thinking you can get a great deal for that 1 game you haven't bought yet. That's how I would imagine why they haven't done that yet.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
The fact you didn't care enough about these games when they were "free"/included in Plus to learn about downloading them via your PC/app, but only now you seem to care because you have the device...say you never really wanted them in the first place. If you really cared, you'd buy a copy & support the developer, but really it's just this FOMO of not getting something for free.

Indeed, OP is just salty about his situation. Anti-consumer eh.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It's because they pay publishers for the number of people who install/add the games. These games aren't free for Microsoft or Sony, and they're not give-a-ways for the developer/publisher. They work out an agreement of compensation per copy installed/licensed.

Saying it's anti-consumer that they don't automatically add the game to your library is like saying it's anti-consumer if Dunkin Donuts does a Buy-one-get-one and they don't force you to take the extra coffee even if you don't want it.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Omega bs. Unfortunate how this isn't a thing, but I get why from a business perspective.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom

Umm... I don't own a PS5 yet and I have a PS+ copy of Bugsnax ready and raring to go once I manage to snag one. I grabbed it in browser.

The intent is to get you into the store so that you are confronted with other partnerships. Which is the trade off for getting several "free" games a month.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
At least now you have the option to add to your library without downloading. Earlier you had to initiate download to claim them.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure there are reasons, probably financial ones that have to do with how these agreements are signed and how developers get paid

One thing I'd love for them to add (and I'm not sure if this viable given said agreements) is a wish list for games you want to automatically be added to your library if they ever become available on PS+

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
Oh I hate it. Even if I won't play a game I still redeem it just because.
I find Xbox more annoying because they do the two separate drops in a month. Makes it much easier to forget and miss something.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
PS5 still can't remove games from your library so no, thanks. I just get the games I want.

Also, imagine some game like YIIK gets on your library without you being able to stop it. Or the new Hogwarts game a lot of people don't want to support because of Rowling and because of some devs.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Apart from the fact they pay publishers for each time someone claims the game, I'd rather not have everything added to my library automatically.

I specifically avoid getting THQ Nordic games, for instance, and I'm glad to know that when they added Darksiders Warmarstered, I could actively not claim it.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
I don't want crappy games like Oddworlds in my library so this is good
Edit: They should however add an option for those who want every game to be automatically redeemed to their account, options are good

Last edited:

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
Are we getting so lazy now that we can't even do a few button presses on the control pad to redeem some games LOL