• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
ul0dc3b64sm01.gif

It's almost useless. And this isn't some weird occasion. This is daily. Also why can't I search for a person from my contact list?

Everyone has a better system search from what I've experienced. Google, Apple, you name it.

Zeroneo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The in-folder search still needs a lot of work but the global search is pretty good for me

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, shit is frustrating. You have to remember to type a part of what you're looking for, but not too much. Because otherwise it's just gone.

Goodreads search is similarly bad, suffers from much of the same flaws.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
hey can I hijack your thread about the search bar real quick to say I FUCKING HATE RIBBON BARS SO GODDAMN MUCH.

Use an application for decades, then they switch to ribbon bars, and suddenly I don't know where the fuck anything is. Who the fuck likes having all their shit thrown at the top of a window in huge icons with poor organization instead of a dropdown menu?

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
hey can I hijack your thread about the search bar real quick to say I FUCKING HATE RIBBON BARS SO GODDAMN MUCH.

Use an application for decades, then they switch to ribbon bars, and suddenly I don't know where the fuck anything is. Who the fuck likes having all their shit thrown at the top of a window in huge icons with poor organization instead of a dropdown menu?
I still use openoffice for the very reason.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with the op. I can't understand why it is so terrible. Searching a set of indexed files should be a solved problem.

The start menu-based search routinely cannot find installed programs that are listed in the start menu or other files I have in indexed locations. Doing searches in File Explorer generally works, but is super slow.

Meanwhile, the Search Everything third party app works perfectly. It doesn't miss results and is way faster.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
This is why you learn about and switch to Everything.

Windows Search has always been bad for me, yet with every new Windows release you'll find people saying things like, "It really works now guys, honest!" As an example, I placed a randomly named .jpg file and put it into a base folder on my C:\ drive -

Windows Search

Everything

Apparently to get Windows Search working properly it needs to spend an hour of your day indexing, whereas Everything does that quietly in the background.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with the op. I can't understand why it is so terrible. Searching a set of indexed files should be a solved problem.

The start menu-based search routinely cannot find installed programs that are listed in the start menu or other files I have in indexed locations. Doing searches in File Explorer generally works, but is super slow.

Meanwhile, the Search Everything third party app works perfectly. It doesn't miss results and is way faster.
I forgot people struggle with Win10/8.1/8 search. I've been using Classic Shell for so long now, it's a thing of the past.

BTW, Win10 search is annoying as hell in early versions of the OS, that's a given. So...I just checked right now on the latest Insider build and to my surprise, it works nearly just as well as my old methods but about a half second slower. So there might be hope yet. Long time comin', tho.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
The folder search sucks but the windows key search is a great feature. Not quite as functional as the Mac search was back before I gave up on MacOS (~4 years ago and for a host of unrelated reasons) but it is perfectly sufficient for me

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Never had a problem with it. Maybe my searches are too simple though - I'll only search for say filenames, not text in files or anything 'deeper'. Don't use the Windows button searchbar like in the gif either, I have that hidden/disabled.

NeonCarbon

Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad other people find the same! Why would I want a web search prioritised over a start menu item.
Then the actual file search can be hit or miss too.

Locate command on Linux is so good.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Somebody hasn't used Windows 7 in awhile.

Yeah it's not perfect, but for getting around the OS it's pretty good. And it's leaps and bounds better than Windows 7 was.

Mat-triX

Oct 27, 2017
Choose filters from the top right, and either select the category you want to individually search (people, email, etc.) or, go to the very bottom to change what folders to include in the search results.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017

The ribbon is far, far superior. Put in ten minutes of effort to figure it out and you'll never want to go back.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
It's absolutely useless in both 10 and server 2016. I fail to understand how it can be so poor for launching applications

It's the thing I miss most about Macs, their searches run like butter on hot toast and work immediately. Windows is ass in that respect

Spotlight is so much better than the windows search they might as well be different products. One is search, the other is a roulette wheel of documents and applications

Windows Search has always been bad for me, yet with every new Windows release you'll find people saying things like, "It really works now guys, honest!" As an example, I placed a randomly named .jpg file and put it into a base folder on my C:\ drive -

Windows Search

Everything

Apparently to get Windows Search working properly it needs to spend an hour of your day indexing, whereas Everything does that quietly in the background.
Bro this shit is amazing, wtttttf.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017

Windows Search

Everything

Yep this is why I use search everthing. Windows Search has never worked for me. Its a bemusing how Microsoft cant get something simple like searching working properly and yet a 3rd party can.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely useless in both 10 and server 2016. I fail to understand how it can be so poor for launching applications
Launchng apps is actually the one thing I had ok luck with on W10, but anything else? it just shits the bed

Spotlight is so much better than the windows search they might as well be different products. One is search, the other is a roulette wheel of documents and applications
I thought I had literally lost years worth of mail on a server until I switched back to mac OS and boom, there it was, in like 1 second flat.

OP
OP
Infinity Times Two
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Yep this is why I use search everthing. Windows Search has never worked for me. Its a bemusing how Microsoft cant get something simple like searching working properly and yet a 3rd party can.
I wish Microsoft could take a break from stealing Apples translucency and reorganizing the settings app, and instead focus on the core experience, including search.

Troublematic

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
My Windows search can't find EA Origin. Couldn't find the .exe, couldn't even find the directory until I added a shortcut to desktop, which it manages to find.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
The start menu search in Windows 10 worked quite well for me.
...Until after some bigger update it became completely useless suddenly.

But even when it was 'fine', Everything was so much better, it's kind of ridiculous.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Its unbelieveable how shit this search is. Really. I search for "uninstall" it will show different results everytime. It seems that it does a random search in hour HDD and settings and show whatever it finds first which at least should mean that it isFAST (which it isnt). So in the end it's sometihng slow and unreliable. I only use it to find the windows defender, windows updates, windows settings or the general uninstall a program page (and ofc 1/3 of the time it shows something wierd (right now it shows me a "uninstall" file, with no extension, found deep inside 7 folders. Amazing.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Its unbelieveable how shit this search is. Really. I search for "uninstall" it will show different results everytime. It seems that it does a random search in hour HDD and settings and show whatever it finds first which at least should mean that it isFAST (which it isnt). So in the end it's sometihng slow and unreliable. I only use it to find the windows defender, windows updates, windows settings or the general uninstall a program page (and ofc 1/3 of the time it shows something wierd (right now it shows me a "uninstall" file, with no extension, found deep inside 7 folders. Amazing.
While that is annoying, there is a much easier solution for that. Open the "Settings" app, choose "Apps" and click uninstall on the ones you don't want.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Somebody hasn't used Windows 7 in awhile.

Yeah it's not perfect, but for getting around the OS it's pretty good. And it's leaps and bounds better than Windows 7 was.

If you're looking for like a specific .ini file or something, it could not possibly be more worthless.

Everything is a must have program.

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, I've had this exact problem from the gif with my programs. It's so bad that I just started laughing when I realised what's happening

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
If you're looking for like a specific .ini file or something, it could not possibly be more worthless.

Everything is a must have program.
I read that Microsoft is working on a new version of Windows 10 for PCs that modernizes everything (fixes the problem of some things looking like Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, some things looking like they're from Windows XP, 95, etc)

I hope it has a new search engine that's more useful for finding files in my HDD.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Well, there's "windows" in windows search. So the answer is obvious.

But it's not THAT bad. As long as you don't try to search for a word inside a file, it's decent enough. But if you try, you're screwed.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
While that is annoying, there is a much easier solution for that. Open the "Settings" app, choose "Apps" and click uninstall on the ones you don't want.
Sometimes when I search Uninstall it goes straight to that "apps" page that you are talking about, which is where I wanted to go.

Now I tried searching "apps" and it took me to a matlab/help/includes/shared/equationrender/release/image/apps.

FUCK. This shit is just inconsistent. You can't even 'memorize' a keyword to do something that it will basically show different results all the time.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My only day to day interaction with windows on my gaming rig. The OS is such a pain in the ass to deal with:

OP is correct search is garbage. I have far too many instances of spelling out the application name only to have a fucking browser launch.

Last month I had to figure out how to make sure the OS would not auto update on me. This resulted in far too much time spent searching for how to do it only to find out that the solution is to trick the PC into thinking it's on a data plan....

Windows in general is garbage, but it says games well.

Also to be fair OS X is getting on my nerves more and more as well.

Last edited: