• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Journalist Sherif Sonbol was taking pictures of ethnic dancers during an official tour of China's far western Xinjiang province when he noticed a room full of women being trained to use sewing machines. He realised he was in one of Beijing's network of political indoctrination camps, where – according to the United Nations – China is detaining up to one million members of the mostly Muslim Uighur minority.

Sonbol, an Egyptian photographer and editor, was one of at least 80 journalists taken to Xinjiang since 2015 on the "Silk Road Celebrity China Tour". He left convinced that accounts of mistreatment inside the re-education centres were untrue. "I keep hearing people saying the education centres were where they torture people," he said. But the enthusiasm of the dancers impressed him, "Look at their faces! You know these are very happy people."

Sonbol described interviewing a female inmate who said she'd been given three years in the re-education camp after assaulting other women who had failed to use the Islamic head-covering, the hijab. "She committed a crime!" he said. "She agreed to go to the re-education centre. What's wrong with that?"

Murat Yilmaz, a reporter for Turkish newspaper Hürriyet, took part in a tour to Xinjiang in 2017. Yilmaz's output from the visit – two news stories praising Chinese growth – also argued for increased economic cooperation for countries along the belt and road initiative, echoing Chinese talking points. "I got to see China with my own eyes, and I got correct information," he wrote in an email.

But one journalist who had a very different reaction to an official tour was Albanian-Canadian freelance Olsi Jazexhi. In August 2019, he flew to Xinjiang for an eight-day tour with another 19 journalists from 16 countries.He had always vocally opposed the United States, and when he approached the Chinese embassy in Tirana, he only had one aim in mind. "I wanted to write a good piece on China," he admitted, "I wanted to prove to the world that the Americans, like they lied about us in the Balkans, they are lying about the Chinese as well."

"We understood that these people were not even allowed to speak their own mother tongue," he said. Through conversations with handlers, he realised that the practice of Islam was prohibited in the camps, and that residents were not allowed access to phones or contact with their families.

He also learned some of the reasons why they had been detained, including wearing the hijab, praying in public and reading the Qur'an. "What we found out was that in Xinjiang, practising Islam was considered to be a crime," he said.

"In our trip, they had produced this Potemkin show," he said. "Almost all of us as journalists, we understood that the CCP had put on a show for us. They wanted us to sell the world a fake story."

Sonbol emerged convinced that Beijing's motives in Xinjiang were humane, and that the western press treated China unfairly.

Jazexhi, even though he was not won over by his experience in Xinjiang, said: "China is doing what the British and Americans do. They're producing fake stories in the service of their imperialism."

"They spend a lot. And I believe that in the long term, they're going to win the war against the west."

www.theguardian.com

How China uses Muslim press trips to counter claims of Uighur abuse

Beijing has taken dozens of journalists from the Islamic world on tours of its indoctrination camps in Xinjiang in an attempt to counter western headlines

Last edited:

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How naive some of the reporters/photographers sound in that piece.
These hand-picked examples the government showed us make me realize that everything is OK and the UN is completely wrong.
Why not also go on the North Korea tour and report back on how things are great there as well? They're just taking authoritarian governments, governments well-known for manipulating information, at their word.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
It extends beyond journalists as well.

There are entire generations of Muslims that have grown up with intense anti-American/anti-West propaganda due to military and geopolitical conflicts in their homelands. The level of scepticism and doubt that some of them hold towards western media is palpable. I can't even blame them given the fallout from the farce that was the Iraq/Afghanistan invasions.

I had a group friends that also outright dismissed this Uyghur news almost immediately. It took months of convincing for them to finally relent. They're Pakistanis, which only really have China as legitimate allies on the world stage. It wasn't until Chinese human trafficking and Chinese businesses interfering with religious practises in Pakistan that they started to take the Uyghur plight seriously.

China has invested heavily in prominent Muslim countries, which is why you hardly hear a peep out of them as more Uyghur revelations come to light. There was that infamous UN vote, which saw majority Western countries vote in favour of acting on Uyghur genocide, while many Muslim countries voted in favour of China.

China is winning the misinformation war where it really matters; they've capitalized on the Muslim-world's anti-American/West perceptions.

Last edited:

Frester

Oct 25, 2017
"Agreeing to go to a re-education center" is quite a way to spin "imprisoned in an ethnic cleansing camp".

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Ethnic cleansing is happening right in front of our eyes. I feel so terrible for Uighurs. Is there a place to donate that will help?

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
"Journalists"

That's an interesting yet terrible point being brought up about anti-west sentiments being capitalized to more or less turn people against other Muslims. I don't even know what to say...

Deleted member 48201

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2018
Straight out of the Nazi propaganda playbook. This is the CCP equivalent of Theresienstadt. Disgusting and shameful that the world does nothing.

Last edited:

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Ethnic cleansing is happening right in front of our eyes.
There's no fucking excuse for our global community ignoring this. It's a modern holocaust which we've never been more equipped to identify and deter, but we cant/wont because of CCP hegemony, laziness, ignorance, apathy or all of the above.

Oct 27, 2017
It extends beyond journalists as well.

There are entire generations of Muslims that have grown up with intense anti-American/anti-West propaganda due to military and geopolitical conflicts in their homelands. The level of scepticism and doubt that some of them hold towards western media is palpable. I can't even blame them given the fallout from the farce that was the Iraq/Afghanistan invasions.

I had a group friends that also outright dismissed this Uyghur news almost immediately. It took months of convincing for them to finally relent. They're Pakistanis, which only really have China as legitimate allies on the world stage. It wasn't until Chinese human trafficking and Chinese businesses interfering with religious practises in Pakistan that they started to take the Uyghur plight seriously.

China has invested heavily in prominent Muslim countries, which is why you hardly hear a peep put of them as more Uyghur revelations come to light. There was that infamous UN vote, which saw majority Western countries vote in favour of acting on Uyghur genocide, while many Muslim countries voted in favour of China.

China is winning the misinformation war where it really matters; they've capitalized on the Muslim-world's anti-American/West perceptions.
Said better than I ever could.

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
I remember Dutch journalists also being invited to those camps, but of course everything seemed 'fine'. The ones I heard about it didn't believe anything they saw of course, but it's terrible how they're going so far just to be so cruel...

I can't find the link to those videos, but this video (Dutch, English and even Chinese subs are available, from Feb 2020) is from a Dutch comedian who shows some examples of what they want us to believe and what (according to actual journalists) is the truth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MnRC8_ux3Q&vl=nl-NL There's some comedy build up and in between, but the message is dead serious.

One of the things they show in the video is that they tore down fences and a watch tower that were there on satellite images, before the journalists came over. Source for that is BBC.

They also sent USB sticks to Dutch politicians with videos showing happy Uyghurs and Uyghurs in the Netherlands are threatened and followed as well. It ends with a critical note about most (current / past) world leaders not caring one bit.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
What China is doing in Xinjiang is terrible, but it's also disgusting how much complicity there's been among Islamic-world governments. If Turkey or the Saudis wanted to actually react with the urgency you would expect when their cousins or coreligionists are facing genocide, I think you would definitely see China at the very least soften their approach. But they care more about money and the general project of international authoritarianism, so they turn a blind eye, and China is able to go to pretty much any extreme unchecked.

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
^ That's also what surprises me, but then again, that's just me looking at it from the (western) sidelines. I don't know how much attention this gets in Islamic countries, but I feel like they could do so much more, the governments of those countries at least. But yeah, $$$...

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
fsprob_nothingtosee.gif

They did the same thing for the BBC documentary crew.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
What China is doing in Xinjiang is terrible, but it's also disgusting how much complicity there's been among Islamic-world governments. If Turkey or the Saudis wanted to actually react with the urgency you would expect when their cousins or coreligionists are facing genocide, I think you would definitely see China at the very least soften their approach. But they care more about money and the general project of international authoritarianism, so they turn a blind eye, and China is able to go to pretty much any extreme unchecked.

Saudi sure, but its not so simple as money as the primary motive, expecting individual nations to fight China alone can bring tons of economic pain for little gain. If action is ever going to take place, it'll need to occur under a sustained move by multiple countries at a single time with a goal of stopping whats going on. At the least, it'll need to happen with EU-USA push to have a major effect.