Will Switch reach Nintendo's project 20 million this fiscal year

• Not even close

• It will fall short of 20 million

• It will meet forecast expectation

• It will surpass 20 million and yearly sales of any platform over the last generation (PS4 20M 2016)

Results are only viewable after voting.

EMGESP

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
40 million Max as in lifetime? You're tripping, my man

I don't think it can hit 3DS sales for one major reason. The Switch isn't a true 3DS replacement with its form factor and battery life. If Nintendo fixes those two issues then I think its very possible Switch can meet or potentially even surpass 3DS sales.

I would be very impressed if Switch hit 3DS level sales in its current form.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it can hit 3DS sales for one major reason. The Switch isn't a true 3DS replacement with its form factor and battery life. If Nintendo fixes those two issues then I think its very possible Switch can meet or potentially even surpass 3DS sales.

Be prepare to be impressed.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

The Switch has the exact same battery life as the OG 3DS.

Also there's a pretty large difference between 40M and 3DS LTD sales which are closer to 70M IIRC.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017

At the rate it's currently selling? You're delusional my man. You do understand it's currently like halfway already to 40 million?

Oct 29, 2017
I wasn't so sure at first. But Mario Tennis, Pokémon and Smash is enough to move that many consoles. The Switch software lineup by November will be insane.

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They hit 14+ million in January, so they definitely will as long as they have the stock to reach that number. If anything, we should be estimating 22-25 for EOY 2018.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The Switch will be at 40 million by the end of 2019 at the absolute latest.
Launch models of the Switch and 3DS have the same battery life too. Switch is going to outsell the 3DS so you're going to be impressed

Pretty much. People can hold out hope for Christmas but Labo has already far underperformed retail expectations. It's not magically going to turn into a hot product. Especially at the price point it is at.

Based off Nintendo's comments about how Labo was a key product to hit the 20 million they were expecting it to sell more than it has.

The revisionist history will be the same with let's go. Once it isn't selling the same as the mainline games all the people giving ridiculous predictions will be shitting all over people saying of COURSE it's not selling as much as mainline games.

Not sure a cardboard activity suite with a SKU that runs higher than average game MSRP is comparable to one of the most recognizable franchises in the world. Let's Go is going to sell well, especially with two versions.

Last edited:

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Guys, you have to know by now that laughably low predictions for Switch aren't made in good faith. 40m is such an absurdly low prediction designed for nothing but bait. Notice how he switched to "won't outsell the 3DS" (which is at 70m, not 40m) as soon as 10 people quoted him. He's just here to be very concerned about Switch sales.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Launch models of the Switch and 3DS have the same battery life too. Switch is going to outsell the 3DS so you're going to be impressed
End of 2019? If Nintendo hits its fiscal targets, then it will be at ~38 million units by March next year lol. This whole argument is inane.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
End of 2019? If Nintendo hits its fiscal targets, then it will be at ~38 million units by March next year lol. This whole argument is inane.

Oh I know lol. I was just giving wiggle room in the .000000000000000000000001% that sales tank. We're likely looking at 40 million by the end of the fiscal year. I think they'll exceed the target

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I know lol. I was just giving wiggle room in the .000000000000000000000001% that sales tank. We're likely looking at 40 million by the end of the fiscal year. I think they'll exceed the target
Absolutely, me as well. Smash, Pokémon, Fortnite? They're going to make a mockery of that guidance.
The idea that that will be Switch's lifetime sales is just so absurd lol.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

3DS sales weren't impressive outside of Japan. It would be bad if Switch didnt outsell 3DS. 40m would be a joke. Come on.

Hex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why did you sell it to begin with- surely you knew that Pokemon and Smash were dead certs (and Fortnite very likely)?
Was (and still am cranky) that they have not opened up VC options or released any WiiU stuff.
Also had a hell of a backlog from PC and PS4.
Got a great deal the other night on a Switch with Zelda, Splatoon 2, and a pro controller though so am already back in

Shinku_King

Nov 11, 2017
New smash and Pokemon this year, will put them over 20m imo. People will legit buy the switch for just smash and Pokemon it's that serious.

Phil Good

Apr 25, 2018

I don't think the 3DS can hit future Switch sales for one major reason. The 3DS isn't a home console with its form factor. If Nintendo fixes this one issue it wouldn't make any sense because the 3DS isn't supposed to be a home console.

Fortunately the Switch is both, so it captures both home and handheld markets. Goodbye.

NateSnacks

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Any new rumors on Diablo 3, Fallout 3? anniversary, and GTA 5 for the switch? All those games will help the switch astronomically.

NateSnacks

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
I think they'll hit 20 million this year comfortably... but there might be diminishing returns after that. I don't think the Switch's maximum install base is ultimately going to be that big. Ceiling of 40-50 mill if they don't do any model revisions.
This is Nintendo. I wouldn't be surprise if Switch Lite or Switch XL gets announced on the Nintendo Direct.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
This is Nintendo. I wouldn't be surprise if Switch Lite or Switch XL gets announced on the Nintendo Direct.

S3NyIrQ.jpg

Zero chances of a Switch lite. Zero space there...so the only way to make a lite would be making the battery smaller and GOOD LUCK selling a 1,5 hour battery life portable

Immaculate

Oct 27, 2017
S3NyIrQ.jpg

Zero chances of a Switch lite. Zero space there...so the only way to make a lite would be making the battery smaller and GOOD LUCK selling a 1,5 hour battery life portable
This

I really dont see how a revision for the Switch would even be possible lol. Its too big as is(about as large as a closed N3DSXL) WITHOUT the joycons attached so an XL is out of the question and making it smaller would mean a smaller battery life when it barely does 3-4 hours on 3D intensive games already. Since its technically a home console and nintendo home consoles never get revisions I just dont see one happening

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's possible for the Switch to get smaller, it's just that you can't have the same form factor. But that might just make it more appealing. It even has a significantly larger battery at 7350 mAh

61jofDgyRBL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Smash, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem are coming this year.

Yyyyeah I don't think Nintendo is going to have any trouble hitting 20M.

Hex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know that there will be a Pokemon Limited Switch Bundle and you know that there will most likely be a Smash Bundle.
Those alone will pad numbers like crazy

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
It's possible for the Switch to get smaller, it's just that you can't have the same form factor. But that might just make it more appealing. It even has a significantly larger battery at 7350 mAh

61jofDgyRBL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
that does not even run the same Chipset. Shield portable was a Tegra 4, that like 1-2 Gen behinds X1, it was mostly for streaming, not native gaming.

EMGESP

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Not sure a cardboard activity suite with a SKU that runs higher than average game MSRP is comparable to one of the most recognizable franchises in the world. Let's Go is going to sell well, especially with two versions.

Doesn't Switch get less than 3 hrs playing Zelda? I thought launch 3DS was at least 3.5 hrs.

EMGESP

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
S3NyIrQ.jpg

7nm part would reduce power consumption by a large margin so you could use a smaller battery and more compact cooling system.

I don't think the 3DS can hit future Switch sales for one major reason. The 3DS isn't a home console with its form factor. If Nintendo fixes this one issue it wouldn't make any sense because the 3DS isn't supposed to be a home console.

Fortunately the Switch is both, so it captures both home and handheld markets. Goodbye.

Outside the Wii, Nintendo Home consoles have seen a cosistent decline in sales since the SNES. The hybrid factor alone is whats help pushing it over Wii U, GC and even N64 sales, but I still question if a hybrid system that isn't a true portable will be able to hit 3DS sales. Time will tell and to be fair this is a unique system, so anything can happen.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017
Dude, Pokemon is coming this year. That alone would convince me and then there's Smash. Easy win for Nintendo this year and the Switch will have an equal or better library than WiiU in about 1/3 the time to boot.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo

As long as it is not very heavy, it's fine. Children starting around age 5 learn to carry things that don't fit in their pockets inside of a bag or backpack.

wolftendo

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, but since Pokemon games have always been casual and for children though, so what's the point of watering them down and removing important game mechanics when they were already for kids to begin with? Let's Go is just doing everything possible to ruin the experience for hardcore fans for literally no reason.

I thought you were being sarcastic because "muh casual trash" sounds like the stereotypical rant of a gatekeeping fanboy.

Oct 26, 2017
7nm part would reduce power consumption by a large margin so you could use a smaller battery and more compact cooling system.

Everyone keeps saying this, but you do realize better efficiency + smaller battery = potentially a marginal move in which you reach the same hours of battery life with better efficiency.

In that case, what is even the point of having a smaller battery?

EMGESP

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Everyone keeps saying this, but you do realize better efficiency + smaller battery = potentially a marginal move in which you reach the same hours of battery life with better efficiency.

In that case, what is even the point of having a smaller battery?

So you are saying you couldn't use a slightly smaller battery while still gaining overall battery life moving from 20nm to 7nm? I think its possible, there are huge gains in power efficiency.

Also, I would expect a smaller screen as well which would also help with battery life.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I do hope that Fortnight becomes a big hit on the Switch since it seems to do very well on the other consoles.

I think the last four months of the year is going to be insane for Nintendo with Switch. Has Nintendo managed to produce more consoles or are they still having problems with manufacturing?

Seeing how Apple is going to ramp up it's new Iphone models very soon

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Nintendo's biggest problem is going to be making enough units, with Pokemon and Smash later this year, plus the games already released Nintendo will have no problem at all selling over 20 million. Heck if they could manufacture 40 million in the year they would likely sell that many.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
S3NyIrQ.jpg

That becomes a very different issue if Nvidia die shrinks to 14nm/16nm and/or uses the Tegra X2 at half the power consumption. Components like the fan could be shrunk or possibly even removed altogether.

Oct 26, 2017
So you are saying you couldn't use a slightly smaller battery while still gaining overall battery life moving from 20nm to 7nm? I think its possible, there are huge gains in power efficiency.

Also, I would expect a smaller screen as well which would also help with battery life.

If the point is to start squeezing out as much power as I could on a console that is meant to be both a handheld and a console, then I'm not going to gimp the battery and risk reaching the same performance thresholds as previous iterations (especially as developers start to push the system as they become more and more familiar with it). Otherwise, what was the point? Additionally, the move to 7nm is pretty lofty too considering production just started a few months ago, and is unlikely to be cost-effective for Nintendo vs. other existing options like 12-14nm. 10nm appears to have issues making it to market so that also doesn't look realistic until the foreseeable future.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I don't think stock is an issue at all this holiday.

They're going all in.
For one thing, they are already aiming at 20M for the year: stock cannot be the issue that stops the system hitting 20M. Even 25M shouldn't be an issue for them to manufacture, I think, and I think that that's about the range they will go on to sell this FY.