• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure most of us agree that having Halloween during the week sucks the fun out of it. What if it was the last Saturday of every October?

It would open the door for more trick or treating for the kiddos and it won't be on a school night.

A good selling point could be that we would get to Christmas faster. Most stores already sell Xmas shit early anyway.

Is it even possible to change the date for a holiday? Has that ever happened before? What would need to be done?

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of places already do trick or treating on the weekend before or after if it lands during the week. There's no need to change the day.

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like this idea, I'm tired and full of candy (dad tax) and I habe to go to bed soon for stupid work tomorrow.

Same goes for July 4th

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure most of us agree that having Halloween during the week sucks the fun out of it. What if it was the last Saturday of every October?

It would open the door for more trick or treating for the kiddos and it won't be on a school night.

A good selling point could be that we would get to Christmas faster. Most stores already sell Xmas shit early anyway.

Is it even possible to change the date for a holiday? Has that ever happened before? What would need to be done?

Considering it would require a constitutional amendment and ratification by 2/3 of the states, I don't see it happening anytime soon. But Canadian Halloween is the last Friday in September, so there is precedent for it.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
November 1st is a holiday here, so Halloween on the 31st works out pretty well for us lol. Getting ready to go to a friend's house and party right now.

Computermau5

Oct 27, 2017
Considering it would require a constitutional amendment and ratification by 2/3 of the states, I don't see it happening anytime soon. But Canadian Halloween is the last Friday in September, so there is precedent for it.
Am I missing something here? Halloween has always been on October 31st up here in Canada as far as I'm concerned :/

scrubadam

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Makes sense.

Halloween is a made up holiday anyways. I mean what is it really celebrating? Don't tell me some old time pagan traditions. Its an entire holiday to start the last Quarter of the year of strong.

We have Victoria day which is always on a Monday, and then Easter accompanied by Good Friday which is always on a Friday. Labour day is always on a Monday. These are real holidays that always fall on a specific day of the week. Just make Halloween the last Saturday of every October.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Let's start with mandating trick-or-treating hours must include time after the sun goes down.

Trick-or-treating hours were from like 3 to 7 this year here. That's some weak ass shit. You gotta let kids have a chance to get into some shit.

scrubadam

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Guess everyone is celebrating it wrong up here today. Should of been celebrating Halloween a month ago instead of today.

Not sure where you go this Canadian Halloween but its the same as you guys, Oct 31st.

Maybe you are confused with thanksgiving which is in October for us Canadians as opposed to November for you guys?

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
They should just combine it with Black Friday.

That way people can go out trick or treating, and get great deals.

Maybe people will just give out cheap doorbusters in place of candy.

Jack Frost

Oct 25, 2017
If I don't go to work on Halloween I have no reason to need a costume. So the way it is now is fine.

ScatheZombie

Oct 26, 2017
There's no need, places already move Trick-or-Treat to different days and times. We had like 50 Trick-or-Treat events this weekend and official door-to-door was today from 4-8pm. Every single kid after the first hour had like half a damn pillow case full of candy before they even got to my door.

Also, who the fuck gives out tiny bags of pretzels and nuts? Healthy treats? If you do this, you are a horrible person.

Boze Man

Oct 27, 2017
Bozeman, MT
Who would do it? Is Halloween recognized as an "official" holiday by any government? I'm pretty sure it isn't officially recognized by the US government. There's no one to officially change it.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a joke. Likely a reference to the varying dates of Thanksgiving between Canada and the United States.

The part about the constitutional amendment is plainly facetious as well.

Correct.

Honestly, considering that kids are typically done trick or treating by 8pm or so (at least where I live), it doesn't really matter to me that it's on a week night. And it's something exciting to look forward to!

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Kids don't give a shit, they'll go trick or treating whenever

If you put it on the holiday you make it so the young professionals like me have a harder time going out and drinking too, don't do that to me

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have 12-year-old kids and Halloween being on a school night doesn't have a negative effect. It's dark before 7pm and the kids are usually tired out in an hour. My daughter was back at 7:30 after heading to a friend's house at 6:15.