• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to break this terrible habit of vocalizing my thoughts. I hate it. I'm tried to find help online but every site keeps suggesting it's not a big deal. It's a big a deal to me and I want it to end.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
A wise person once said talking to yourself is normal. When you start answering yourself, that's when there's an issue.

Right, me?

That's right!

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Vocalizing thoughts to yourself isn't that rare but if you really hate it, one thing I've found that works is when you're about to vocalize it, just think to yourself "you're about to tell yourself a thought you already know. lmfao stop idiot" and you'll just not say anything due to auto-bullying.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Are you sure the person you're talking too is you?

Edit: poor attempt at a joke, sorry.

Last edited:

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I talk to myself when I'm alone, I don't think it's a big deal either.

Sometimes vocalising issues can help you rethink and resolve them, and if I hear myself talk I can also remember what I said better than if I just thought it.

Alternate solution: have a pet present at all times, you talk to them.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Think of it as reverberation of thoughts, because that's kinda what it is.

Not sure if you meditate, but when you catch yourself, ask yourself "who am I talking to?" and see if that helps. The problem of thinking and overthinking is we get caught in a paradox of the "I" that knows, but narrates it to "me", as if there's a division and someone here who doesn't know. Who are we sharing this story with?

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do some of my best thinking talking to myself. I actually think it's a good habit to have god forbid you're ever in a situation where you're alone for a long time and need to keep yourself sane. Don't run from it, embrace it

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember if you vocalize your thougths helps you to evaluate them better , maybe you lack social interaction?

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to break this terrible habit of vocalizing my thoughts. I hate it. I'm tried to find help online but every site keeps suggesting it's not a big deal. It's a big a deal to me and I want it to end.
Can't help you if you don't tell me why it's a big deal to you. Need context.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's only really a problem if you're maybe like in a situation where you fart in an elevator and then can't stop yourself from saying, "Oh crap, I should have held that in. Oh no, it was a wet one! But I have an interview!"

I can see wanting to stop that.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i never talk to myself

alexa is always listening, and i only want it to hear the dirty stuff

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe practice silent thinking at home. Do you vocalize reading? Try to read a book silently.

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
Was really hoping the first reply would be *crickets

Seriously, I know what you are saying but it really isn't a big deal. Sometimes we have to vocalize, hear things out loud to help.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Force yourself to start making those thoughts stay in your head. So like everytime you catch yourself verbalizing your thoughts, stop and finish those in your head. Seems like it's a super strong habit so it'll probably take a long while to break, but the hope is you'll develop the habit of just monologuing internally instead.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
you can't even if you don't "speak" you'll still be talking to yourself because when you think in your head your vocal chords are still making sound that get sent to your brain. that's why you can think in your head.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to go super crazy about it, wear a shock collar around the house that's set to go off with any level of vibration.

Seriously though, I was reading about a company that made bracelets that vibrate when you do something like the motion of reaching towards your mouth or hair to stop people from nervously chewing their fingers or plucking hair. I wonder if something like that exists for talking.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Get a dog. Every random thing I say around the house gets directed toward my dog. I'll start singing randomly and work the dog into the lyrics.

My wife thinks it's funny and, more importantly, doesn't think I'm as crazy as I probably am.

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
My mom, my son, and I do this all the time. People might be like, "Are you talking?" but that's a good time to say something about them to yourself.

I_D

Oct 27, 2017

You're getting all kinds of joke-replies, but I can absolutely see why this might bother you.

Firstly, check out your surroundings, especially the people. Unless you have brain complications and you're unable to think silently, chances are you picked this habit up from somebody. There's an extremely-high chance that somebody very close to you also thinks aloud. Once you recognize who the person is, try to catch when they're thinking aloud versus talking to somebody. Once you can recognize the issue in somebody else, it will be much easier to recognize it in yourself.

Once you've recognized it in yourself (which you seem to already be aware of), see how quickly you can catch yourself doing it. The goal is to eventually catch yourself the moment you start, then fix the problem. Then start to identify the triggers. Do you think aloud all the time? Do you only do it when people are around? It is a specific person? Is it when thinking about specific topics? Is it when you're excited, or sad, or happy? Etc.

Once you've identified the root of the problem, you'll be able to tackle it pretty easily. It's just a matter of eliminating bad habits, and starting good habits. This is not going to be an over-night type of solution: It'll take a few weeks. But once you've cleared the problem, it'll be like it never happened.

smellyjelly

Avenger
Aug 2, 2018
dang, I do this too, sometimes.

I get really bad racing/jumbled thoughts and it's easier to focus on the task at hand if I narrate out loud what I'm trying to focus on.

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
In Buddhist teachings, the parable of the second arrow goes as follows:
The Buddha once asked a student, "If a person is struck by an arrow, is it painful?"The student replied , "It is." The Buddha then asked, "If the person is struck by a second arrow, is that even more painful?" The student replied again, "It is." The Buddha then explained, "In life, we cannot always control the first arrow. However, the second arrow is our reaction to the first. And with this second arrow comes the possibility of choice.
And while we can't control our outside environment, we can, with practice, change this pattern of shooting a second arrow after the first. There are two very effective exercises which you can practice in order to circumvent this all-too-human response to life – firstly, noticing the pattern of the second arrow; secondly, practicing kindness to yourself when you see it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.al...d-arrow-can-help-you-be-nicer-to-yourself/amp

Don't listen to the Jokers on this thread. However I would suggest that there is a lot to find in Buddhism. No need to go all zen, but even the basics are excellent.

Baroque

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking to myself is the only intelligent conversation I have all day. In all seriousness, why do you think it's a problem? Just because people will catch you doing it sometimes? If you really want to stop it's a matter of training yourself not to do it. Look up tutorials online on how to form habits and apply them to getting yourself to stop talking....to yourself. Seems like it might just be about replacing your habit of self talk with other more "socially acceptable" (using quotes cuz there's nothing wrong with self-talking imo) habits. Whenever you're about to self-talk stop and instead force yourself to keep the thoughts inside your head. Then just keep repeating it. You can even start out slowly. First just make yourself mouth the words instead of actually saying them out loud. Then eventually move from mouthing words to only thinking. Eventually with enough time, conscious effort and repetition you will have forgotten the old habit of self talking and formed a new habit of thinking instead. I got myself to stop using the word "Like" in conversations in the same way.