• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gekkouga

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a dumb question but actually, there's some reasons behind that.

Lately, I remembered a lot of moments of my life when I got some criticism on my smile. Sometimes, I looked like a junkie, someone dumb or even like a psychopath. So I obviously understood that unlike a lot of people say, smiling will not always make you look good. What I mean is, how do you learn on how to smile properly ? We don't learn that, that's stupid to say, but it's important on our daily life. If we don't know how to do it correctly, we can give bad signals to people and suffer the consequences. So how do you do it?

Wikzo

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
I can sometimes feel the same. I think it's like breathing: if you consciously think about it, it will be weird. It should come naturally.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
hariottttttttttt.png

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know but I know the left side of my face smiles more than the right so it always looks like I'm smirking.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i look suicidal when i don't smile and like a serial killer when i do, so i try not to think about it too much

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
There are times where I try to smile and look super happy for cameras but when I actually see the pictures, I still just look extremely bored and or like I'm in a bad mood.

I got resting bastard face going on or something. Its impossible to work with.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
Clench teeth as tightly as possible, raise upper lip, lower bottom lip, squint eyes. Pray you don't look like an idiot.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
I'm embarrassed of my teeth, so I try really hard to not show them. Just smile with my mouth closed. If someone can give me thousands of dollars to pay for teeth correction, i'll be sure to let you be the first (well, except the dentist of course) to see my beautiful smile!

pestul

Oct 25, 2017
I can smile but not with teeth showing (unless in laughter). It's kind of annoying actually..

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Im lucky i have dimples. I look happy when I smile even when im only trying to be polite and don't feel particularly happy. So people tell me 'you always look so happy' but all that means is I look happy when i smile.

It has helped me a lot in interactions with people.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate when people take like 7 seconds to take a selfie from the right angle and you're muttering through your clenched, forced smile "Hurry up man"

Oct 25, 2017
I basically just quit smiling for pictures because it always looked forced. I have been seen smiling before so I can smile, but doing it for the camera just produces a bad result.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I don't smile that often and I've gotten comments about it, but it's still better to not smile if it ain't truly genuine. I'd rather be true to people than look like

giphy.gif

Basically, don't worry about it. We're all different. Worrying about it only makes one more distracted and less present when a genuine moment actually occurs.

RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017
Something like this?

giphy.gif

You shouldn't really worry that much but, if you do, just practice in the mirror or something until you find a face you're comfortable with for fotos and all that. I've been told repeteadly that I tend to close my eyes when I laugh and I realized that when I smile one of my eyes is a bit more opened than the other but I don't really care. Most people don't really notice that so there is no sense in nitpicking that much.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anytime I smile it's cause someone or something made me laugh, I can't force myself to smile otherwise

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
When I was dating I had to honest to god learn to smile better.

My primary problem is I tend to prefer to smile and speak with one side of my mouth. It's easy for me to correct it when I think about it. I speak pretty clearly but I'm very clear when I use my whole fucking mouth like a normal human being.

MCN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
how do you smile with eyes ? That sounds a little bit confusing to me

When you fake a smile, you only move your mouth muscles. When a smile is genuine, a lot more muscles are involved, and there are subtle differences, especially around the eyes, that we instinctively recognise without even realising it so we know when a smile is genuine.

Oct 27, 2017
There are times where I try to smile and look super happy for cameras but when I actually see the pictures, I still just look extremely bored and or like I'm in a bad mood.

I got resting bastard face going on or something. Its impossible to work with.

This is basically my problem. Apparently I just look like I'm angry all the time. I try to do a nice smile for a picture and it comes out looking more like an indifferent face. Better than angry I guess.