Votes: 7 1.8%

• Total voters

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
8321d9d531658cd51e7c7f4492567263--playstation-games-births.jpg

56d73c5b3e50c04fbe04a86f1c5ed5cc.jpg

I personally love the entire Birth by Sleep trio. They're a marked improvement over their predecessors of Sora, Riku, and Kairi. Ventus and Terra are basically Sora and Riku with a more believable bond and a more intricate and satisfying backstory. Aqua, on the other hand, is so much of an improvement over Kairi that it's insane.

latest

Kairi is nothing more than a damsel in distress for the first game, an object of affection that causes tension between her two childhood friends, both of whom have feelings for her. An age old story that was only made fresh because it was in an experimental Disney/Square-Enix crossover game. She improves in subsequent entries, but still remains a background character for much of them. She gets her own keyblade and can at least... try... to fight. Overall, though, she's still the weakest link in what is now a huge cast of characters.

2a3ddc349463b0a17ebf0af5793ad9d4.jpg

Aqua is her complete inverse. She has competency, agency, and is actually playable in her own game. She is essentially the leader of her group of friends, and this shows in that she is the only one to pass the Mark of Mastery exam and become a Keyblade Master. She has the most unique playstyle out of any Kingdom Hearts protagonist with her focus on floaty, magic oriented combat. Not to mention her visual design is killer - an excellent use of blues and relaxing, subdued colors helps to exemplify her calm wisdom, as well as flowing, silky clothes that work excellently with her fighting style.

gyj7ViSdAilJ2VQUKrWQEdF7HcB5P9xyNnCwOgcQsDrbIiTzMl8b45SAZX6Ier91rX8t-_NLdfMRab4RrLgJ93rPl-qZWtUizuDf0hoBeKRyz22-losdLmlyZg

I love Aqua as a character. She's probably my favorite female protagonist from a Square-Enix game, and one of the rare Kingdom Hearts characters that feels like they have some sort of substance and depth to them.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I love her, her design and the fact that she's probably the main hero next to Sora of the series. A great female character. Though I didn't really like her part in KH3 too much.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Aqua is great—her and Larxene are my fav female characters in the franchise by far.

but I will not allow Terra to be simply written off as repeat Riku. Terra is miles dumber than Riku and I love him dearly for it.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it speaks to the lack of proper/good female representation in the kingdom hearts series that the prominent reason to say that she is good is to compare her to her only contemporary who is objectively terrible (Kairi).

Oct 31, 2017
I'm surprised anyone could have an actual opinion of her outside of her gameplay and design

She has no personality whatsoever

and Ven is annoying and Terra is a moron

then again I don't see at all why anyone could care about KH characters tbh. I love the series for the most part but the characters are horribly written

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fav by far, may be biased because her playstyle in BBS was absolutely ballin'

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
Great character. She was my favorite to play as in BBS and her story was the one I was most invested in heading into KH3. Would love to see her as a playable protagonist again.

Kaneda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
She's great. She's the most fun character to play as in BBS and has one of the best designs in the entire series.

headfallsoff

Mar 16, 2018
I don't like Aqua that much, but it's not her fault. She's probably the best woman in the KH series but that is NOT saying much. Whereas Terra and Ventus' arcs in BBS have the best internal struggle of the series, Aqua is just kinda a boring cop she's just doing the Obi-Wan in the prequels thing looking after two anakins lol. So yeah I think she's got an okay role in the first game but she isn't given anywhere near the internalisation of her friends, and then she's chumped out in every future appearance so just another example of Nomura's refusal to write women well lol. I love a lot of KH but man fact that she's probably the best KH girl we'll get is so damning.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I think it speaks to the lack of proper/good female representation in the kingdom hearts series that the prominent reason to say that she is good is to compare her to her only contemporary who is objectively terrible (Kairi).
I disagree, she has at least one other contemporary who is a layered and interesting individual. Xion is another member of a trio done better. Aqua also has many characteristics that help her stand out on her own. She just shines that much more brightly compared to Kairi, whose role she is obviously occupying in her group of friends.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised anyone could have an actual opinion of her outside of her gameplay and design

She has no personality whatsoever

and Ven is annoying and Terra is a moron

then again I don't see at all why anyone could care about KH characters tbh. I love the series for the most part but the characters are horribly written
this, agree completely. there's nothing there. zero.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
One thing the Destiny trio has over the Wayfinder trio is that you actually see them and can buy into them being close friends. The friendship among Terra, Aqua, and Ven was terribly presented in Birth by Sleep, and I think Aqua suffered the most because of it.

Her entire motivation was about getting them back and keeping them safe but every time she encountered them she didn't really try to listen to them. Instead she felt like a mom trying her best, but without really considering what Terra and Ven were feeling. Granted, Terra was an idiot and Ven had no reason to be world-hopping, but it was still jarring that she felt more human around Cinderella and Zack than around her two best friends.

"That doesn't sound like what the Master told you to do" hurt me as much as it did Terra.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
She's boring but fun to play as, like so many KH characters she has a terribly stilted voice performance. I can only assume that they had a Japanese person directed the voice recordings because no fluent English speaker would let these crappy line readings reach the final product. She reminds me of Samus in Other M.

SevenOfRhyme

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Easily one of my favorites in the series. Plus she's also Marissa's sister in The OC, so bonus points for her.

I legit cried so much when
she finally realized she had escaped the realm of darkness after all those years.
Definitely one of the best moments in KH3.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I disagree, she has at least one other contemporary who is a layered and interesting individual. Xion is another member of a trio done better. Aqua also has many characteristics that help her stand out on her own. She just shines that much more brightly compared to Kairi, whose role she is obviously occupying in her group of friends.

All three women have been needing some form of saving, or being pursued as a romantic interest and used as character development for a male character. It's very much a Nomura problem.

headfallsoff put it much better than me.

Byronic Hero

Oct 27, 2017
It's like Nomura only had enough character development for one female protagonist, heck I'd argue that Aqua's arc was more interesting than all of her male counterparts.

Plus it doesn't hurt that she's brought to life (in the English dub) by the wonderful Willa Holland.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
i also haev a soft spot for 0.2 . It's incredibly short but Aquas' journey, her monologues are so well written, much better than KH standard imo and Willa Holland's performance is outstanding.

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
She's absolutely beautiful and she plays great. I wish that she had more of a story in III but I'm happy with her anyway.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Really fun to play as, but she's an asshole through most of BBS but plays it off as those she's constantly the one in the right.

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wasted potential. She's 100% better than the other women in KH though.

Mike Rambo

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
I love her but I wish Nomura could write women at all. Hate that she's the most competent of the three and then the game says she's needs to be babysat at the end of 3...by TERRA no less, the least responsible or dependable character of the three

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017

As much as I love Xion she is an example of how not to write a character. She's redundant and kind of pointless because Roxas is already Sora's Nobody, so the conflict is already there without needing her to be around. And well, that's exactly what happens in KHII where Xion is never mentioned. She still rules though.

As much as we dunk on Kairi, she is still the one who saved Sora in KHI, who indirectly guided Sora and Riku in CoM, who accepted Riku-Ansem in KHII and made him believe in himself such that the three of them are able to reconnect, who held on long enough for Namine to trace a connection with Lingering Will and who guided Sora back in KHIII. I mean, Sora's whole thing is that he's able to make a connection with everyone he encounters, but Kairi's been able to demonstrate a similar ability, albeit on a more unjustly limited and in an unjustly indirect way.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
I don't want to see anyone coming in here saying this:

I personally really like her. She's why BBS is probably my favorite game in the series. Playing as her last and then going through the entire secret ending is so good. Blank Points is also the best scene in the entire series, and her reaction at the end is perfect.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
She's all right. Not my favorite character in the series, oh and her KH3 english voice was terrible.

Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
She's okay. I like her English VA and her design, and she does have some good moments, but she's also a little dull to me. More importantly, she's also a huge dumbass in BBS. Terra is easily my favorite of the BBS trio, and while he's also a huge dumbass, he was dumb in a compelling and relatable way. Whereas Aqua just pissed me off with how she handled everything.

May 9, 2019
My favorite character right next to Marluxia. Her design is beautiful and I love how she's basically the second main character of the franchise. Aqua is also the most fun to play in any KH game.

She does however come off as boring and is kinda the typical straightforward female character of the group. KH3 also did her dirty even though we got to play as her for a few seconds.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Queen of KH and name/hair/outfit color coordination. 2nd only to Riku for me. My favorite design in the series.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Her design and fighting style is one of my favorites in the series. In terms of characterization, she's bland for most of BBS but also inoffensive, which kind of makes her more likable after playing as Terra who is just awful. She does get better and is given some actual agency towards the end of BBS and in 0.2. The less said about KH3, the better (but that goes for pretty much every character in that game, tbf). Oh, and Willa Holland's performance also improved in 0.2. Don't remember how she was in 3 though.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I love Aqua for the reasons you mentioned, can't wait to see her character development in a post-Dark Seeker Saga entry.

Wasted potential. She's 100% better than the other women in KH though.

Pretty sure Square Enix capitalises on her in the wayfinder trio compared to Terra and Ventus, she's going to be the playable character in Melody of Memories.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
I didn't like her at first because she came off as the typical good guy character. Luckily I played her arc last during BBS and she quickly became one of my favorites, especially with that ending.

That being said I was super disappointed with the amount of air time she had in KH3. I wanted to see more of her rescue arc instead of just one boss fight and calling it good.

I would definitely play a solo game with her.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
Great character and potential. KH3 was unfair to her (like every other female character in this game)

Oct 25, 2017
She's my favorite main playable character in the series, but that's not a high bar.
I had high hopes for her in KHIII after 0.2 but she was kinda wasted.
Hopefully she gets good stuff in the future.