Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Insufficient evidence to the contrary.

I think I saw you talking about reincarnation. Even in that scenario, I still think you might as well be dead forever. The things that makes a person who they are--their memories, their personality--these are shaped by your physical existence. If I have a soul that survives as a slate wiped clean, I think that's interesting but I don't see why I should care about that anymore than I should care about knowing that a donated organ will survive my death. I don't believe that thing that would survive is me.

I'm not one for idle speculation. I want facts. Some children purportedly return with fragments of memories from being someone else. There are stories galore, from the mouthes of the babes themselves. Some having knowledge at a very intimate level that defies being coached up by parents.

In addition, most people, do not remember a thing. There must be reasons for this.

Control, as far as you are able, is the reason one should care about all this. The world is riddled with potholes.

It makes life special, you get to exist for 80 or so year in average. I think about this a lot and I'm finally feeling "okay" about it, it's weird to think that we just stop existing but you will not suffer or even have a way to experience non-existence at least.

Enjoy it, one day you're just going to sleep and stop existing and that's okay.

The moment to believe in something is until there is sufficient proof. As there is no evidence of an afterlife, there is no reason to believe in an afterlife and I will continue to live my life as if there is none.
It doesn't mean that I deny with a 100% that there is no afterlife, but you could say the same about basically anything else.

That's the reason people "are so sure" of it.

if you want proof you'll have to seek it out

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me of Bertrand Russell, the twentieth century mathematician and philosopher, an atheist who contemplated suicide often as a young man and credited his interest in mathematics for saving him from that.

I've suffered depression and anxiety and I'm a carer for my fiercely intelligent and self-aware adult child (to be clear, I'm talking about a person some 30 years of age who is in most meaningful ways a competent adult and has a high reading vocabulary and good comprehension) who suffers from autism. The social isolation and lack of insight into emotional matters, the sudden rages, the permanent anxiety, these are all a reality of life. I've written elsewhere in this forum on this topic, in a little more depth. My joy in living, just that everyday buzz I get from being alive and experiencing the beauty of my kids and my wife are reason and propose enough for me, but I know my kid is living through the same moments while fighting great fear and crippling anxiety.

I'm in my sixties and I'm keenly aware that the next time I visit my doctor I could be told I have a serious disease that will kill me or incapacitate me.

But we all dance on the edge of the volcano, and at least I've had an indecent share of joy that daily makes me shake my head in disbelief at my good fortune in finding a great woman who loves me. She's in her seventies and she goes swimming in the North Sea on good mornings in the summertime. It's as if i married Wonder Woman. And did I say she loves me?

Now if somebody were to tell me that there was a purpose behind this, that my child must suffer while I live a charmed life, and it's all for some great purpose, I might get a little angry. But most likely I'd just say to them that it makes no sense. I'm not a nihilist, though I think there is probably no intrinsic meaning in the universe. I love the way our greyhound joyfully gallops through the waves when we take her to the beach and let her run freely. I love the way it took me over thirty years to realise that my giant, Amazonian sea swimming wife can only reach my lips if she stands on tiptoe, because in reality this tiny person is a giant underneath the skin. I love everything about both of my kids. I have two amazing sisters. And my part in it could end soon, whenever I conk out. But I wouldn't miss a minute.

I made my own purpose. You're allowed to do that, aren't you? As a mathematician manqué I've always been partial to the results of Russell's failure to kill himself.
This is as simple as it can be. One life, short, Live it how you like (without hurting the lives of others). With people you love. Be amazed. Because there is much to be amazed about. You don't even have to make up stuff or wait for aliens. Life and earth are fucking amaze-balls.
Of course, it's not that easy for everyone to live the life they want to live. But you have to try. Or don't try and have a frustrated boring short life instead of a relatively happy fun short life. I'm fortunate enough to be able to be amazed every single day.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I'm not one for idle speculation. I want facts. Some children purportedly return with fragments of memories from being someone else. There are stories galore, from the mouthes of the babes themselves. Some having knowledge at a very intimate level that defies being coached up by parents.

In addition, most people, do not remember a thing. There must be reasons for this.

There's a reasonable summary of some of this work here:

It's a bit thin on facts. Two remarkable facts do emerge, though: children in countries where there is a shared belief in reincarnation are more likely to remember a past life, and there are far more such children who remember being rich and well known in their previous life than being obscure peasants.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Lol, THE END, why did you capitalize that? it's so weird every time I see it

I'm aright with it. Fully expecting it to be nothingness but also, as an agnostic, curious to find out if there is some kind of afterlife. But mostly just going to get as much out if life as I can right now and fie with no regrets

Barberetti

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Sounds like a great guy who had a great life. I'm smiling now because that sounds like a great ending and I'm so glad he spent that last lucid day with people who could share his joy.

Thanks, and yeah he was only on a small morphine dosage, so was lucid to the end. Pretty sure he died of old age before the cancer got him actually, so nice to know he gave that shitty disease the finger before he went. That would have pleased him no end lol.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Feb 25, 2018

Do you have any solid evidence their fragments are real? Stories and anectodes do not count. I'm open to changing my mind.

"In addition, most people, do not remember a thing. There must be reasons for this. " = speculation, exactly what you said you do not do... ;)

hombremalo

Oct 26, 2017
I live terrified of death, but the one time I thought I was going to die a feeling of acceptance and calmness took over me, was pretty weird. Like I'm going to die, let's go for it, the fear was gone.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
It'll be like when before you were born or something will happen no one knows. Best not to dwell on it and just enjoy what's going on now.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
It terrifies me to all end. Honestly Its one of the number one things that gives me anxiety attacks, or times where I can't sleep and hear my heart beating and just start freaking out that it suddenly is going to stop. The fact that I wont know because I will be dead does not console me. Honestly it makes it worse, because I know I have XX amount of time on this earth and that is it.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Feb 25, 2018
It terrifies me to all end. Honestly Its one of the number one things that gives me anxiety attacks, or times where I can't sleep and hear my heart beating and just start freaking out that it suddenly is going to stop. The fact that I wont know because I will be dead does not console me. Honestly it makes it worse, because I know I have XX amount of time on this earth and that is it.

Sounds like a living hell. You should enjoy the time you have, not freak out all the time.
Also, if you have panic attacks, you should definitly talk to a profesionnal.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I envy all of you who can grasp the concept of nothingness and accept it. Every time I hear that explanation I understand it, but my anxiety would never let me be ok with that answer.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm not looking forward to it. Would live forever if I could, even if things can be shitty a lot of the time.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Sounds like a living hell. You should enjoy the time you have, not freak out all the time.
Also, if you have panic attacks, you should definitly talk to a profesionnal.
it is a living hell! I am trying my best to enjoy this time and I think I do, just sometimes if I start thinking about it all I cycle into those panics. I have talked to someone and have medication to help in freak outs, but lol I wish I could just accept it all.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I envy all of you who can grasp the concept of nothingness and accept it. Every time I hear that explanation I understand it, but my anxiety would never let me be ok with that answer.

I don't believe in those answers. I would say it's more of a defense mechanism - people cannot comprehend not being alive, and when you actually invest time in it it becomes terrifying.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
It's like knowing where the burger comes from and still being able to enjoy the burger.
As Douglas Adams pointed out, the one thing you can't afford to have is a sense of proportion.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Feb 25, 2018
I don't believe in those answers. I would say it's more of a defense mechanism - people cannot comprehend not being alive, and when you actually invest time in it it becomes terrifying.

If we cannot comprehend it, what is the point of investing time in it? :)

You are right though. We cannot comprehend it clearly, because we are alive right now. Death is something living things worry about. Not dead things. Although if you ever been under anesthesia, it gives you an hint. Also, every night when you deep sleep.

It seems you push your own fears unto others though. Most people have fears about death, but I think most of them are about the actual dying experience.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland

As I've implied, there's nothing to not being alive. There's nothing to experience. I have experienced physical pain to which death would have been a welcome end. I would regret not being able to care for my autistic adult child, but that's likely to come before I die as I age and become ill.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Thing is, you won't experience death. You might experience the fact of dying if you are unlucky, but once you're dead, you won't experience anything. So there nothing to be afraid really. Death is ceasing to be. That's as simple as that. It'like what it was before you were born, so nothing.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
It gets me down on and off. Usually when big life changes come up, and I start thinking about the future.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
It kinda feels calming that at one point I won't exist or have to deal with anything. I just hope I do my best and enjoy my time before that point arrives.

It does suck when I think of my parents who are nearing that point, but that's life.

I like to think about post-death the same way I think about pre-birth. You just ''aren't''.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I don't dwell on it, choosing instead to simply enjoy life as much as I can. It's hard sometimes, but dwelling on my own mortality seems to be a fruitless endeavor.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who still thoroughly enjoys life, I'd prefer not to die. Alas, that doesn't seem to be option and I await oblivion with a vague sense of existential dread and a really bad case of FOMO.

Thisisme

Apr 14, 2018
I don't feel like it's the end and I'm an atheist. I believe in immortality of a sort. My genetic code will live on in my children and the things I do for others can make a difference beyond my death. I sort of view myself as a cell in the greater organism of humanity and the organism will live on. The genetic code persists.

Last edited:

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I have this idea that when die your consciousness just transfers to another version of yourself in a paralel universe, your death was just a bad dream.........i like to think that.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Yeah death is not a problem, it's the end of all problems actually. It's dying, and knowing you will die, that is an issue.
In 2008 i had a monoxyde poisoning while showering. Well i didn't die but when it happened it was like "hey my leg feels tired" then nothing. If i died there, i would have never ever known i was dying or i would die. Not even for one second. That's pretty cool i think!
But obviously that's a good thing i didn't cause i could then do more stuff after that :p

Spock

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I don't think the state of being called non existence is perceivable from within consciousness itself. Our context, understanding and point of perception may change, but what that translates to experientially is the big question and the mystery.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Feb 25, 2018
I have this idea that when die your consciousness just transfers to another version of yourself in a paralel universe, your death was just a bad dream.........i like to think that.

Why would this option "activate" at death? We can't contact other versions or ourselves, other universes while alive, I don't see how it could work once we are dead. Maybe if there is something in consciousness that is entangled at the quantum level?

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
I don't feel like it's the end and I'm an atheist. I believe in immortality of a sort. My genetic code will live on in my children and the things I do for others can make a difference beyond my death. I sort of view myself as a cell in the greater organism of humanity and the organism will live on. The genetic code persists.
Your earthy deeds are highly unlikely to endure in living memory when you're gone (in the grand scheme of things you and everything you've ever done will be forgotten relatively quickly), and your progeny are highly unlikely to avert the inevitable extinction of the human race. No "immortality" for you, my friend. :p

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Why would this option "activate" at death? We can't contact other versions or ourselves, other universes while alive, I don't see how it could work once we are dead. Maybe if there is something in consciousness that is entangled at the quantum level?

Maybe your soul transcending time/space to reach another universe? It's important to clarify that i only hope that this happens to you when you die, it's a romantic idea, not different tto hoping to go to heaven or Valhalla.

Endure the death of our love ones in our current existance. That's the real punishment.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Do you have any solid evidence their fragments are real? Stories and anectodes do not count. I'm open to changing my mind.

"In addition, most people, do not remember a thing. There must be reasons for this. " = speculation, exactly what you said you do not do... ;)

I like Bing so i typed this into Bing Search Engine - 'television series tales of reincarnation'.

So, all kinds of articles from various places appear along with a slew of youtube videos. I was tempted to click on the youtube video thumbnail featuring what appears to be a jolly, albeit slightly chubby, little fella. There was also the listverse article about Ruth Simmons that held some intrigue.

Th3BranMan

Nov 8, 2017
I am of the belief that upon the totality of death, we live the same lives over again, in an alternate dimension of space time, with no recollection of having lived before, and no possibility of changing the outcome of said life.

Consider that "we" had no perception of the billions of years that came before, and the billions that will come to pass upon our departure, we will in effect, endure both the end and rebirth of the universe infinitely, with no possibility of escape.

We as a species seem to believe that the Big Bang was the beginning. How do we know that it was in fact the beginning, and not the end of the previous?

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that we are even here is a miracle. This goes to everyone, spend your days doing things that make you happy. See as much of the world as you can, spend time with those you laugh with and love.

Gain knowledge, love hard, live hard. Smile, laugh, cry. Its an incredible ride.