• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you like unlocking characters in fighting games?

• Story Mode

Votes: 115 40.5%
  • Free Battle

Votes: 17 6.0%
  • Time-saver DLC

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Have every character available from the start

Votes: 148 52.1%

• Total voters

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
How do you like unlocking characters? Through a story mode? Free battle? Time-saver DLC? Or do you want everyone unlocked from the start?

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Story mode. I'm sure if I cared more about battling online in these games I'd way prefer just having them from the start, though.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
All characters in the base roster should be available from the start. If you must have unlockables, have them be for stuff like colors or alternate costumes. At worst, have an unlock cheat code similar to ARMS's Tournament Mode.

Speaking as someone who helps with locals, it's a pain in the ass to have to unlock every character on every set-up. I'm glad that unlockable characters are being phased out, & I hope that Smash follows suit in the game after Ultimate.

Last edited:

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I liked how in melee there was a big variety of unlock conditions OR # of matches played as a fallback condition. All fighting games that does locked characters should have an option to unlock all the characters in the options though.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I say have every character available at the start save one or two which are boss characters unlocked through a story or arcade mode.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get anything out of unlocking characters anymore. I just want to get into VS mode with all of the important options available. I get much more out of unlocking colors, stages, etc.

If you have to have them, make them alt-costumes with no gameplay changes or make them obviously broken boss characters that you wouldn't be able to use online anyway.

JoDa

Jan 12, 2018
Pay 5 dollars and comes with a costume lol.

In game currency is ideal tho, arbitrary requirements are annoying imo

Colargogol

Jan 22, 2020
I like unlocking stuff. Either new characters or costumes or things.
Story mode is great but I thought the smash way were new characters are unlockable every now and then now matter how you play was excellent.

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway other than Time saver DLC. I love unlocking stuff like characters, weapons, colors etc and so far nothing beats (maybe MK11 but I don't like MK that much) Soul Calibur 2 in that regard. Game is FILLED with content.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Fighting games should have the option of unlocking everyone from the start in the options menu.

Don't take the fun away from those of us who like to unlock characters.

panama chief

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
as a kid: I'm a fan of unlocks until I go to a friends house and they beat me with a character I haven't unlocked.
as an adult: i still like them. Smash does this right.

FUNKNOWN iXi

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Still haven't unlocked Android 21 and I can't be arsed to do so.

Unlocking characters in fighting games should never be a chore.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Have them all unlocked from the start. I volunteer at tournaments from time to time and having everything locked would be absolute hell

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
I like how they used to do it in Smash. You must fulfill certain requirements to unlock new character.

Story mode is also a fun way of doing it.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I think Smash Ultimate did it right.

A small core cast of characters to start with, and then anything you do will unlock another character. If you can beat them 1-on-1 first, of course. This lets you get a preview of the character as you're fighting them, so you have a basic idea what they can do.

By having a small starting cast, you make it quick for a new player to pick someone, and you can still have your excessively large cast unlock rapidly after.

I don't like when all characters start unlocked, though. I like seeing new and unexpected characters appear.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
All from the start. I do like getting additional costumes through player modes though, as long as it's not RNG.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not the way Smash Ultimate did it.

I like specific requirements for unlocking a character, and by "specific requirements" I mean something more interesting then chaining classic mode a dozen times.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Everybody unlocked from the start. Other things like cosmetic can be earned playing the game.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Everything available from the start. Have other stuff locked behind story mode, like costumes, endings, art, stuff like that. Nothing required for a tournament should require single player grinding to unlock.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
As many ways to unlock them as possible but please give me a cheat code to use them all in versus mode, or a toggle in options.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
melee style is honestly the best, but add in a unlock all fighter code as well and it would be perfect.

Dogo Mojo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This always ends up split the same way, the casual Audience wants unlockables, story modes and extra content beyond getting your ass handed to you by fighting game pros.

people in the FGC want everything unlocked from the start and generally only care about getting online to fight each other.

As a casual fighting game fan there is a reason why I mainly play NeatherRealm and Bamco fighters, and it's because they have the most to do outside of online multiplayer that doesn't usually match players at similar skill lvls.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Having to unlock the characters is important. How else will I know when it's time to drop the game?

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I'd rather have all characters available from the start. People like myself want that nowadays.

If not, then I'd like to unlock them the old fashioned way by going through Arcade & Story modes just like back in the day.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This always ends up split the same way, the casual Audience wants unlockables, story modes and extra content beyond getting your ass handed to you by fighting game pros.

people in the FGC want everything unlocked from the start and generally only care about getting online to fight each other.

As a casual fighting game fan there is a reason why I mainly play NeatherRealm and Bamco fighters, and it's because they have the most to do outside of online multiplayer that doesn't usually match players at similar skill lvls.
You can still have stuff like story mode & whatnot without having to resort to an archaic means of providing progress like unlocking characters. And again, just have alternate costumes be the unlockables if you want to provide some kind of progress to the average joe.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
"Multiple Methods, to respect each kind of gamer" is what I'd choose. But chose "free battle" for the poll.
Android 21 in DBF is the worse, since you have to go through all 3 branches of story to get her. It definitely became a chore. Kagura in BlazblueEyeDon'tKnowWhichOne also was locked behind stuff that took longer than needed to earn him.

KOF XIV did it mostly right, in that Verse and Antonov were unlockable through story, but months later, along with required gameplay patches, they became unlock-from-the-start. So they worked as an incentive to play the story... and then updated later to make tourney play easier. I also agree that a "Tourney friendly mode that disables achievements and pop-ups, while unlocking everything" is also a great option.

But in the end, Unlocks should inspire play and engagement. Which means they should be available to anyone who puts time into the game, regardless of how. If I've fought the character online, offline, in story, and / or in bonus modes, just unlock them.

Same for colors and stages. Let me earn what I see / fight, and what I know is available. The fact that Mortal Kombat 11 puts so much crap behind RNG is ridiculous to me. You could go weeks knowing something is there, but not be able to use it. Or may possibly never get said thing after weeks or months of play. At that point, what was once an incentive to keep playing, is now a reason to move on to something else.

One thing I think fighters should do more of, is offer new lore / relationship building things with each patch, too. Like... why has SFV gone on for so long with the same victory poses, same taunts, same boring pre-round animations between characters that should know each other, etc? Seeing little interaction bells and whistles "unlock" as a game grows, would be fun and great. I'd LOVE to see characters that face each other all the time in IRL tournaments get special intros between each other, or watch the most played teams online have a special interaction snuck into an update. There's a lot that fighters could learn from the MOBA and F2P genres, when it comes to refreshing old content to make each season feel like a new game.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
If you won't have all characters available from the start, at least give us a tournament mode with everything in there already. Unlocking stuff in my Smash locals is always hell

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Prefer to have them all at the start, but I don't play FGs for the story mode. Plus, it makes running tournaments a PITA.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't mind it when fighters were an offline, solo experience for the most part, as it was something to work toward. With online available, I just want to have everything there from the start

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I wish there was an option for just "playing the game."

I don't like locking it to just one mode specifically. I like story for certain characters like villains and/or rival characters or side characters, but think you should be also able to free play and vs to unlock them.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
in 2020 having characters locked from the start is dumb. lock other things like stages or costumes behind completion progress

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
rather have everything up front if its a game im serious about. a game like smash i don't mind going through story mode to earn stuff.