• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I buy whatever I like when I feel like playing and stop playing when I had my fill, sometimes that would be when I finish the game, sometimes it would be sooner.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I'm trying not to buy games until I'm ready to play them, going forward. But as for all the stuff I have on my backlog already? I'll get to it when I get to it. Or I won't.

nny

Oct 25, 2017
I break it down on a year-by-year basis - so that I start from 0 (if I went overall I wouldn't even bother), and try to end the year with a positive (beaten-bought) score. That helps to postpone some purchases to only when I think I'll play them, and if I end a year with a positive result I made a dent in the overall backlog as well. I'm a completionist, so I also use the trophy system to control my purchases by aiming for a set completion % in my profile (pushes me to complete games before adding new titles - which would decrease my overall % complete). I use backloggery for tracking (and Excel).

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
I stopped looking at it as a backlog, but more like a library. You know, like one with books. You might never be able to read all of them, but having the availability of instant access is very nice.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
I had my 1st kid and my back catalogue began. I had my second kid and it started to pile up. I'm on the very last day in persona 5. I've been playing it since the day it came out. I haven't touched another ps4 game since it came out BUT I've continued buying them (mostly on sale).
Once this game is done, I'll start moving on to the others.
I'm working off the motto beat two games, I can buy a new one.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I don't. If there is some games I buy that for some reason or another I do not finish, it is what it is.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
I've accepted that, as an adult with full time job and marriage and other responsibilities, I will never be able to play everything. Hell, I play just a handful of games a year. It took me almost a full month to play through God of War and that was with playing way way way more than I usually do. It sucks, but IMO gaming is just too time intensive of a hobby to do full time and have time for literally anything else.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I just take it one game at a time. I don't rush the game I decide to play, I beat it (if I'm enjoying it) and then I pick the next game I want to play (usually mix up the genre from game to game). Eventually, you'll play everything (even as the backlog builds overtime), you just won't play it upon release or when the hype is out there. That doesn't bother me at all. In fact, by the time I get to a game, all the bugs are fixed and improvements are made so it's an even better experience.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
I don't call it a backlog anymore. I learned that word from Era/Gaf and I think it implies that you plan to finish every game you buy, which I know will not be the case for me. I have slowed down on buying games to manage my collection though.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
With anxiety.

I don't manage them in any particular way, they're just there. Just like unread books on the shelf. Waiting to be discovered. Usually I'm one or two years behind. Some new games I can't wait to play (this year it's God of War, Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Forza Horizon 4), but most of my time is invested into finishing games released one or two years ago.

Deleted member 7101

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't call my a backlog. I refer to it as my gaming library. I play what I want when I get to it or feel in the mood to play a particular game.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Start on one game. Beat it. Move on to next game. Rinse and repeat.
I've also imposed rules upon myself at times, ie you're not allowed to buy a game until you complete one.

In short, basically don't have attention deficit disorder. I know, it's hard (and I mean that) but with willpower, it's doable.

Drakhyrr

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I just use a spreadsheet on Google Docs. Columns for the name, where it is playable (Steam, Gog, PSN, Live, Physical, etc.), status (backlog, finished, dropped, etc.). Acessible anywhere.

Also I play a single game at a time, though that is only easy because I don't play multiplayer games.

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
I just play a game until I feel like I'd like to play another game and then some time later I realize that I should probably return to that one game that I played some time ago because it was fun but I haven't finished something in it and then I'm bad at that game because it's been too long so I either push through and learn it again and find out where I was or I say fuck it and sit around for a bit and go catch some pokemon and then pick another game or... something. Probably the something bit. Which is usually "go and buy a new game because how the hell is it even possible to choose one from this mess of a collection".

My backlog isn't really managed very well.

Oct 28, 2017
Don't have one and never have. I really don't get the concept. I just play when I feel like it and don't get caught up with the idea that there are games I need to play. The closest I get is 'maybe I'll play that game at some point'. I definitely don't keep a list or anything though.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I always try to keep just 3 to 4 games on the line. I pretend like it's pre-steam/digital days when there wasn't a clusterfuck of easily accessible entertainment and I'd have to live with the 1 or 2 games I bought for awhile.

Sorta works... kinda.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I decided not to buy 2 games today/yesterday. Not buying anything else until I complete at least 10 games from my backlog(ETA is september when spiderman comes out basically)

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
Games as a service are making my backlog grow faster. I'm thankful for breaks from new releases in the summer though because it's a nice time to maybe take 1 game off. but what really sucks is when you finish a game and then theres not enough time to start another game before a new game you're excited for comes out. fragmented time. sucks.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Last year I set the goal to finish all my physical backlog, and thankfully, the lack of spare money this year has forced me to no buy new games and actually play my backlog. As of last month, I finally finished my physical backlog. I think it's the only way I could have actually done this.

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
For every game I beat, two more get added to the pile. It's so bad I had to get a second 8 terrabyte external hard-drive for my XB1X.

I blame my shift to all-digital. It makes things too easy to collect.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
It keeps growing because I can't beat games faster than I buy them. That's all good though since I enjoy collecting games.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
It sits on a shelf and every so often I pluck out a game to play.

Last week I largely played through Watch Dogs on the Wii U, and this week I'll probably play a bunch of Yoshi's Woolly World.

Scottius

Oct 31, 2017
Download my huge catalog of steam games to my desktops hard drive. Keep playing Overwatch and Total War Warhammer 2 exclusively instead...

Oct 28, 2017
I keep an Airtable database with all my games and playthroughs, so I filter games that does not have at least a row in the playthroughs table.

When I have to pick a game I usually order by purchase date to play the oldest games and don't feel bad about them

If anyone is curious to see my backlog view on Airtable -> https://airtable.com/shrKcy8PnXmRNJWsG

And here how it looks the completed history -> https://airtable.com/shrt3C3w5u23wsi3Y

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I just ignore it, i'll play what i feel like playing instead of forcing myself through said backlog just for the sake of clearing it. Oftentimes it can end up with me never playing certain games but the blames on me for not playing it sooner or at the time of purchase.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Tell myself all work week im going to use my days off killing one game at a time on my backlog.
Day off come-procrastinate and play siege all day

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
I've come to the conclusion that I will never play all the games I own. So, I try and play those games that are top rated or games I feel I'll love even if they didn't score so hot. Growing up with the NES and SNES, games were hard to come by as a kid, mostly due to how expensive they were. As an adult, with all the sales and such, adult me just can't pass up a deal, even if I never actually play all the games in my collection.

It's a weird thing, but at least I'm not buying crack.

Oct 25, 2017
I basically don't. Some games just never bubble to the top. I will say, I've modified my buying habits in the last 5 years. Now I'm much likely to buy games that I'm mildly interested even if there's a great sale.

For backlogs, I also think buying digitally is less annoying than physical. I hate keeping all that clutter.

Deleted member 19868

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's simple. I forced myself to realize that I didn't need to play every big game and every critical darling. I don't need to buy a game just in case it becomes rare later, because it's not possible to keep up with everything that comes out when I only have 4 or 5 hours a week to play anymore anyway. I also realized that I don't have to try to make myself like a game just because a lot of other people do.

And then I got an actual OCD diagnosis, realized how many of those behaviors were rooted in compulsive behavior, and I sold the fuckers off. It was like getting a 500-pound weight lifted off of my brain. They're video games. They're a hobby, and hobbies are supposed to be enjoyable. Now I actually enjoy what I do get to play, my shelves are free of clutter, and I'm not hoarding stuff "just in case." It's great.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I don't, I just play what I feel like.

And I finish my games even if it take years (last year I finished Uncharted 1 on PS3, started it in 2013)

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I don't. It's getting bigger, but I'm trying to control it by not buying new switch games and waiting for some black friday/christmas deals.

If only I hadn't gotten hooked on Xenoblade Chronicles 2...

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My new rule is to spend no more than $20 on a game, that includes AAA titles like Assassins Creed Origins, even then my backlog rapidly grows

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
half joking but i think of it as retirement savings. one day i'll have time to play all this shit