• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
This is a question that I have based on a few conversations that I've read here over the past few months. Simply, what things help you to define how you get the most value out of a game? I can think of a few things that might matter to determining value (this list is incomplete, of course):

• Length of game - It must have enough hours of gameplay for your dollar.
  • Quality of game - Duh!
  • Genre of game - Some people value certain genres less than others; I've read some variation of "I'm not paying sixty dollars for a game in [X] genre" quite a lot over the years.
  • Single-player/multi-player options - Some people won't pay much for an SP-only game; others won't pay much for an MP-only game.
  • Price of other games in the market - There are so many options out there that some folks won't pay more than $20 USD, for example, because there are always games of all types hitting that mark via sales, bundles, and price drops, and thus they see no reason to pay more for any given game.
  • Re-sell value - Some folks care about whether or not they have time to play and then re-sell their games for high value. Others like their games to accrue value as part of a collection.
  • Digital vs. Physical - Some folks value digital games differently than physical ones for a number of reasons.

So, to start, I really just buy the games that I like at sixty dollars without a worry about if they will drop in price rapidly or not. On the flip side, I won't buy a game at full-price unless I have a VERY good idea that it fits my tastes, that it is such an intriguing concept that I feel like I want to try it immediately, or unless I've played a previous game in the series that I quite enjoyed.

Sometimes, this leads to me getting burned: For example, I loved Bit.Trip Presents Runner 2: FLoRA so much when I bought it during a Steam sale that not only did I buy it again on two other consoles, but I also bought Runner3 on sight even when I typically refuse to pay more than $20 for a digital game (yes, I value them less than physical copies - you have more options in the U.S. with your physical copy than you do with your digital copy, and your physical copy can't be remotely wiped from your console, theoretically). I don't like Runner3.

On the other hand, things like length don't matter to me. Quality is the most important thing there is: I paid $15 for Gorogoa on Switch, and it lasted 2-2.5 hours for me, and I don't care because I thought it was brilliant. The concept intrigued me, and I was right that I would deeply appreciate the game.

I'm also less likely to worry about getting my full $60 USD's worth from sports games, WRPGs, and open-world action-adventure games, and I'll gladly plunk down full price for a game in these genres (especially sports games, which I typically always like very much and play for years past their release dates).

So, I open this up to everyone else because I think this could be an interesting conversation about value. How do you define value for your gaming dollar? What are some aspects of defining value for games that you don't understand that maybe someone else who has that perspective can share their viewpoints upon?

Oct 25, 2017
Does this seem interesting to me, will I stick with it? Do I have time for this? Is this something I have to learn or something I'm familiar enough with to hit the ground running.

The rest just falls into place. There's never been a "small" scale title that I was interested in that I simply held off of because of price, those usually came in at something reasonable. I was surprised that Celeste was $20, but I still bought it.

Last edited:

Bakuryu

Oct 29, 2017
Something you haven't touched on is spoilers. I'm more likely to pay full release price on a game if it's a blockbuster I'm anticipating where there's going to be discussion regarding it's story everywhere, memes etc.

weltalldx

Feb 23, 2018
Great premise. As a person with a fulltime job and disposable income, I do not have to worry about a "gaming budget". That does not mean I will spend money on everything, quite the contrary, I am a very fastidious and picky buyer. I generally value games based on : The developer's track record, the QA polish, the amount of anti consumer junk added on. Going by this criteria, most AAA western games are out of my radar.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
If I was paying it minimum wage; has it done enough work?

So roughly for every £6 I spend; I want to have an hour of good times (or bad times/moving emotional times/whatever the game is going for). Note that I count hours both playing the game and hours thinking about the game afterwards/before/inbetween.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Do I like it? Yes/No/Maybe

If yes, it was worth the money
If no, it was not worth the money
If maybe, it may or may not have been worth the money

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Something you haven't touched on is spoilers. I'm more likely to pay full release price on a game if it's a blockbuster I'm anticipating where there's going to be discussion regarding it's story everywhere, memes etc.

That is actually really fascinating, and it's a clear oversight on my part because I typically don't care about if I get spoiled or not. I generally get the same amount of enjoyment out of a game that is narrative-heavy whether or not I know key plot points.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
My biggest is time I spend playing because my time is lessened now that I'm a father of two. I never pay $60 (gcu or prime) and if it's on Xbox my brother and I just split the cost. His Xbox is logged as my home console so we can both play simultaneously with only one copy of the game if we buy a game we both want digitally.

Usually I feel satisfied if the ratio of $ to time is $2 : 1hour of game.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Besides game quality ("Duh!"), I always compare price-to-gameplay-hours when making a purchase decision. If a game has a good Metascore the next site I check is HowLongToBeat. Money is precious and I'm not gonna pour hard-earned dollars into a product that I don't get enough hours of entertainment out of. I won't pay $20 for a 2 hour long game if I can get much more value out of a different game at the same price (or even lower).

It's the reason I still haven't played Tacoma, Gorogoa, or 8-bit Bloodstained, among others. Also the reason why I pretty much never go to the movies.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I am willing to spend $60 on something that I will get a lot of time out of. Linear Single Player games that I don't replay I usually don't buy at full price.

Oct 29, 2017
For me, the key metric isn't how many hours of content it has but how many hours I enjoy putting into it.

A title with an exceptional 8 hour campaign I enjoy beating multiple times is worth 10 uninspired, to-do list open world titles with 100 hours of busy work and backtracking.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Quality, or otherwise how much I enjoyed or would enjoy it. I've played long rpgs that I only finished out of boredom/lack of other things to play, but on the other hand I've played short games which i enjoyed every second.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Generally I measure it how long I would have had to work to afford it. If it entertained me for as long as it took to afford it, then it was worth it. That's at the bare minimum, obviously i'd like it to entertain me for far longer than that.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
For me it is easy. Did I enjoy the game and have a good time playing it? If yes then it was worth it.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
The amount of time I expect to spend on the game is significant. Which isn't really the same as "length" because replayability is often key.

Mostly I just buy games when they're cheap - games I'm pretty keen on I might get at £10-£15, otherwise I'm generally picking up stuff at £5. At £5 I don't really need much longevity to justify the purchase.

Another criteria is distinctiveness - I like RPGs but at the moment I've got a fairly sizable "backlog" of them so I'm more likely to go for something that offers me a different experience.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Purely quality. If a game is the best game ever, but it's six hours long, like Ico was, fine.

Heisenberg726

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I only use quality, I don't care about the length of a game.

Hell, I'd pay $60 to play something like Journey just because of how good it was.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I'm mostly concerned with quality over any other factor. If it looks as though it's something I'll really enjoy (or something that I may not enjoy but will push/challenge me in a way that's unique) then I'll probably just go for it. I usually buy 2-3 games a month, so it's rare that I miss out on anything that I would really love.

Oct 28, 2017
For me it usually comes down to price. I will only spend $60 when I know it's a game I will play over and over or am absolutely hyped for. Doom is a game that comes to mind.

If it is a game I know I will like but can wait to play like the new Far Cry or AC: Origins, I will wait for it to drop to $30 and for games that catch my interest but I'm not sure if I will like it I will wait for $20 or less. Games like the recent Prey fall into this category.

AimLow

Dec 10, 2017
All subjective of course, but for me personally, only 2 things: Can its visuals, plot, writing, them hook me and get me invested? Also, once I'm hooked, is the quality there?

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't buy games by value using monetary metrics anymore. The older I've gotten the more time has replaced money as the metric I use when buying games. I'll still look for deals, but things like length, genre, resell value, etc. don't register. It's basically, "is this game worth my time," and if it is I'll buy it.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I buy (digitally) any game I want to play without thinking about genre and lenght, some great games are really short and that's fine.

But I love sales and usually wait for them.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A mixture of length, production value and just how much I want it. Quality decides if I want a game at all, not how much it's worth, which means if I don't want a game, I won't get it even if it's very cheap.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
It's mostly a combination of "how interested am I in this game" + "how fun is this game?"

Longer game isn't inherently a plus for me. "100 hours of gameplay" doesn't mean anything to me if 90 of those hours are boring. A 7-8 hour long game that's great fun throughout is a better value to me than a 150 slog. Though longer games that stay fun throughout are amazing, but rarer these days.

Quality is a factor, but not always a limiting one. I've had tons of fun with what I call "flawed masterpieces" like the original Mass Effect or Assassin's Creed. These are usually games with a great premise, but shaky execution. Even if it's not best in class, I can still easily enjoy it.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
- Is the core gameplay engaging and expanded upon in meaningful ways over the length of the game.
- Is the art appealing and can I learn something from it (cohesive and functional art direction, quality and inventiveness of character/environment/prop designs etc.)
- If story is a focal point is the narrative worth completing and can I learn anything from it.
- Is progression free of hassles like grinding and convoluted solutions to simple tasks and objectives.

I want to walk away from a game with a new appreciation for the form and a new tool under my belt, if possible. The greater the odds of this happening, the more I'm willing to pay.

Feb 13, 2018
New Jersey
Several things:
Did it feel like a complete idea?
Was it engaging?
Did it do what it set out to do (i.e. be fun, impactful, challenging)?

I know that some folks have limited time and/or money to spend on games, but I feel that the "dollar per hour" metric is misleading. Journey can be finished in 2 hours, but it also may be one of the best games you can put money into.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Because I have a thousand-mile backlog already, I now generally value games by how long I think I'll spend playing them.

I'll buy a $60 game on day one if I think I'll get 50 hours out of it rather than 5.

If it's a 5-hour experience that I'll only play once, it's probably not worth $60 to me.

The exceptions are if I really, really love something. Then it's worth the money regardless. I threw money at Shenmue III faster than on anything else in my history, heh.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Is it an RPG? Then it's valuable for me.

While I do take game length into consideration, but it's more to my principal. I tend to avoid short games because I prefer grand and/or immersive adventure on my RPGs. There are some good short RPGs, but I always felt that I need more if it's too short, especially if I enjoy the game, the world, and characters. I play any kind of combat, action or turn-based, as long as it's RPG. I also don't care about its budget.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
How much it appeals to my subjective tastes through marketing and word of mouth.

That's really it. If it seems to prominently feature any aspect of its art, mechanics, design, etc that I'm either intimately familiar with and in favor of OR that I'm curious about experiencing, then I usually look into making a purchase decision. It's not always 100%, and it DOES cover a broad spectrum of games nowadays that I usually don't have any time to pursue, so I'm in need of some re-evaluating...

Mhj

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A game I enjoy for 5-10 hours without feeling bored or feel like I'm struggling. I have no problem paying full AAA price for that. God of War on easy was a great example, though perhaps slightly too long.

magatsu124

May 11, 2018
While i don't have a exact $/hour ratio i go by, game length and how much content play a big part in how much i'll spend on a game. So big open world with all the stuff people complain about like check list, towers, and bandit camps are the games i enjoy the most and i'll buy at launch for full price. More linear games I mostly wait till i see them on sale or used. I'm still waiting to find a good deal on Uncharted 4.

Apr 11, 2018
Australia
My value to for money thing comes down to enjoyment level pure and simple. I spent $13 on MGSV recently and I played for 8 hours and found myself more frustrated than enjoying things, I will try coming back to it through because it has potential I think. Anyhow I think so far I'd say I've gotten $13 out of the game whether it's been enjoyable or not. So anything above this from here is extra value added.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amount of time I put in plus whether that time was fun.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Length of game however as in, I don't want a sprawling huge game that takes me 5 months to beat but rather something shorter like Shovel Knight.

I don't have time in my life anymore for these grand adventures.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
How much replay will I get out of it? How much will I play it in general? Am I excited about it?

Strangelove_77

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Production quality and amount of content.
I like good looking and sounding games and realize how much work it takes. While something like Sonic Mania is a fantastic game, I'd never spend $60 on it. I wouldn't feel right about it. On the other hand something like Horizon ZD that is just as good I'd be ok with paying $60.

And "amount of content" isn't necessarily length. I guess this is up to personal opinion, but I can tell when a game feels barebones or incomplete. You could have been playing the game for 50 hours but still feel like it's missing stuff.

Last edited:

Minako

Oct 25, 2017
I really only think about if I'll have fun playing it or not...
I'll pay full price for anything I'm interested in if I can afford to. And if I can't afford to, I'll either save up or buy it when the price drops (Whatever happens first). I don't really think about the dollar value per something. It's just a matter of how much I want the game.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Am I having fun? That's it. It's all that matters.

I don't care how long or short it is, whether it has replay value, whether it is shiny or rough. All that matters is whether I'm enjoying myself during the time I spend with the game.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I could not care any less about the length or breadth of content in a game -- with how limited my time is and how deep my backlog goes, a game that doesn't overstay its welcome and is over when it's over is actually a plus for me.

I of course have genre preferences and personal tastes (bad art direction is an immediate no-go, for instance), but it boils down to a simple question: Is this experience worth it? Was Breath of the Wild's year-long journey worth $60? Yes. Was Gorogoa a worthwhile night in at $15? Absolutely.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Physical for me definitely is more worth the cost than a digital game. I don't buy digital games at any more than $20, except with the exception of like, Overwatch and Minecraft I think.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I really only think about if I'll have fun playing it or not...
I'll pay full price for anything I'm interested in if I can afford to. And if I can't afford to, I'll either save up or buy it when the price drops (Whatever happens first). I don't really think about the dollar value per something. It's just a matter of how much I want the game.
My thoughts exactly.

Physical is almost definitely a must for me, though.

Filament Star

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Length of game - It must have enough hours of gameplay for your dollar.

I seriously hope you guys don't do this.