C Moon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a "one mistake" rule, meaning that everyone is entitled to one mistake per game because shit happens. So if they make a mistake and use quick chat to say "sorry!", I'll say no problem. If they just repeatedly make mistakes and we're not playing well (down 3 goals) by the 3:30 mark, I usually call for a forfeit, because we're wasting each other's time.

So you give up and call for forfeits when people aren't performing up to your standards...

Other times I'll be the one that makes one mistake 30 seconds into the game and my teammate starts berating me in the chat while the game is 0-0 or 0-1and I'll "throw" the game because I don't have the energy to deal with that. Sometimes I just don't say a word and try to outplay them, but for the most part, I respond to toxic teammates by intentionally throwing a match and if they request a FF, I don't accept it and let them pay for their toxicity with their time.

...but throw games and troll when people tell you that you aren't playing up to their standards?

Y'know, there's an old saying that goes something like "If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
OP attitude about "mistakes" sounds like the entire reason I don't add people to my friend's list and rather would play 1v1 stuff like Mortal Kombat or FIFA instead of team based games.

Fucking tryhards I swear.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
OP sounds like a miserable teammate. I assumed this topic would be about verbally disruptive/abusive players (which I mute, then ignore/avoid and report depending on their actual behavior), but the set of expectations (and "remedies") sounds like every mal-adjusted personality you end up trying to filter out of matchmaking. 90% of those people are seeking validation from the game in a weird way, so they feel compelled to blame others when they make mistakes or just aren't succeeding. That deflection is obvious to everyone else, and it's the seed of most toxicity I see.

I understand everyone carrying their own weight in a game (and yeah, a poorly matched player can be annoying), but the explanation in the OP sounds like the exact kind of player I avoid if at all possible. It's just a terrible attitude all around.
Basically, the OP is the sort of player that makes me wish Psyonix had an ignore/block system in their matchmaking systems to avoid them in the future so I could immediately add these sorts of people that call for a forfeit 30 seconds into a match because we gave up a goal and are down 1-0. He's also the sort of player that calls his teammates trash despite having the lowest score of the trio.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have a "one mistake" rule, meaning that everyone is entitled to one mistake per game because shit happens. So if they make a mistake and use quick chat to say "sorry!", I'll say no problem. If they just repeatedly make mistakes and we're not playing well (down 3 goals) by the 3:30 mark, I usually call for a forfeit, because we're wasting each other's time.
...so you're one of THOSE

bjx2omokqudz.jpg

OP, if Overwatch and XCOM have taught me anything, it's that the game ain't over until the big "you lose" prompt appears

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Oh so you're quitter...game is not over until the final second.
Exactly, no win tastes sweeter than a huge comeback. I hate when team based competitive games have a forfeit feature to begin with. Tried to play League of Legends a bit, the forfeit option only added unnecessary drama when people get pissed when you don't want to give up. "Forfeit or I'll report you *slur*!" And even if the situation would be so dire that comeback would be literally impossible because of the time left, it's still a chance to hone your skills. Or maybe try out a new strategy/build etc. that you might not otherwise do.

Nov 1, 2017
Exactly, no win tastes sweeter than a huge comeback. I hate when team based competitive games have a forfeit feature to begin with. Tried to play League of Legends a bit, the forfeit option only added unnecessary drama when people get pissed when you don't want to give up. "Forfeit or I'll report you *slur*!" And even if the situation would be so dire that comeback would be literally impossible because of the time left, it's still a chance to hone your skills. Or maybe try out a new strategy/build etc. that you might not otherwise do.

There was a lot of people asking for it when Dota 2 got really popular, to Valve's credit they never caved and added it. There probably are times when a forfeit feature could be usable, 15 sec left and you're down 0-12 in rocket league. But being able to call for a forfeit when it's like 0-3 and 2 min left...just play the game and at least try to win instead of giving up.

You can't give up sometimes even when they're hitting your ancient:

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
There was a lot of people asking for it when Dota 2 got really popular, to Valve's credit they never caved and added it. There probably are times when a forfeit feature could be usable, 15 sec left and you're down 0-12 in rocket league. But being able to call for a forfeit when it's like 0-3 and 2 min left...just play the game and at least try to win instead of giving up.

You can't give up sometimes even when they're hitting your ancient:

The value of it in LoL is that the games can theoretically go on forever. I agree, short matches should never have a forfeit, but there are tons of times in LoL where you're definitely screwed by 20-25 minutes (you can't surrender earlier than 15 minutes (unanimous) or 20 minutes (4 to 1)), but you have a team comp that can still just stall out for another 40 minutes before finally losing (basically just going dead-weight on somebody). There's no skill being learned by just farming waves unless you're literally Iron or Bronze, and you can always just use the practice tool to practice your PvE farming anyway. For that reason, I like the surrender option because you could all just fit another game in instead where you can legit practice.

Famously, pros in LoL often surrender very quickly at the top of the ladder just for efficiency's sake.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
The value of it in LoL is that the games can theoretically go on forever. I agree, short matches should never have a forfeit, but there are tons of times in LoL where you're definitely screwed by 20-25 minutes (you can't surrender earlier than 15 minutes (unanimous) or 20 minutes (4 to 1)), but you have a team comp that can still just stall out for another 40 minutes before finally losing (basically just going dead-weight on somebody). There's no skill being learned by just farming waves unless you're literally Iron or Bronze, and you can always just use the practice tool to practice your PvE farming anyway. For that reason, I like the surrender option because you could all just fit another game in instead where you can legit practice.

Famously, pros in LoL often surrender very quickly at the top of the ladder just for efficiency's sake.
Oh I know Moba matches can go for a long time, I've played over 80 minute games on Dota 2. Some of the best matches usually. Could be that big comebacks are more viable in Dota than LoL. But yeah Dota pros forfeit too, still happy it's not a feature in regular games (not that I play anymore though). Winning one team fight at the right time can turn it around.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Could be that big comebacks are more viable in Dota than LoL.

This is true. Dota has a lot of comeback mechanics, while League generally doesn't. At least in the sense that if you're getting pub-stomped by 20 minutes (when a surrender can be likely), there's no comeback happening there because the opponents are far enough ahead, they can whiff on half of their abilities and still nuke your team. There was just a video on the LoL subreddit of a Tahm Kench who was so fed that he literally walked into the enemy team like 1v4 and killed them all just basic attacking them lmao

OP
OP
Soundtrack2chaos
Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
FWIW, you guys classified my actions as toxic and I spent the last week not responding to negative commentary from teammates, not requesting FFs and not throwing games.

I do not feel like my actions did much of anything. I do not feel any better a player or person after changing the way I approach this game. My teammates have not played any better as the result of me not doing what I used to do for the past week and change.

The only "positives" that I came away with after changing my behavior was one comeback when we were down 1-4 and I was doing all the work, we ended up playing well towards the end and won. The other positive is I've stopped caring about what my teammates do on the field and became more focused on just my own performance. If my teammates mess up, good for them, if they play well, I also don't care either.

So, I might continue to be less "toxic" by being apathetic about my teammates. It hasn't made me enjoy the game any more or less than I always have. So there's your update after this thread somehow backfired on me.