PS5 Load Times vs XSX Load Times

• PS5 will be around twice as fast (or more)

Votes: 441 25.9%
  • PS5 will be slightly faster

Votes: 851 50.0%
  • They will be about the same.

Votes: 369 21.7%
  • XSX will be slightly faster

Votes: 24 1.4%
  • XSX will be around twice as fast (or more)

Votes: 18 1.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2018
It'll probably be a wash in the end. "Loading Times" are virtually impossible to quantify in the scenarios where either console's new I/O architecture changes things.

The new consoles will do better at streaming assets -- while the game is actually running and you're actively doing stuff in it. Non-interactive load screens are probably going to be just as slow, probably even slower on the PS5 since it'll be clock throttling during load screens.

Yeah you have no idea about what you are talking about.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually PS5 uses the best compression tech available for gaming (Kraken), and dedicated hardware.
Microsoft won't close the gap with compression.

All of the early scuttlebutt was bcpack was better then kraken. I haven't seen anything recently really taking about bcpack. Unless I missed something comparing the two which is very possible.

Dec 8, 2018
I can assure you that it is completely accurate.

Max throughput for sequential/independent reads do not matter here. The CPU constantly transitioning between busy/idle is responsible for the I/O latency that prompts us to hide this stuff behind load screens in game engines.

If we're not specifically discussing asset streaming in a game, you can kiss most benefits of the Xbox Series X, PS5 and RTX I/O goodbye. Load screens benefit from a higher clocked processor that is not constantly racing to idle; faster storage will be bottlenecked by the PS5's frequency scaling in this workload.

You know you are arguing with a developer working on both consoles. Also again you have no idea what you are talking about.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
About the same, Microsoft's compression tech will help close the gap and third party developers aren't going to waste time super optimizing for the ps5 when loads are so much faster already. First party Sony games will be significantly faster most likely though.
No, there really isn't any comparison between the PS5's and the SX's IO setup. The SX will be able to "closet the gap" in the same way the PS5 will be able to match the SX's TF performance.

That is to say, not at all.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
This speculation is doing nothing but fueling the platform wars fire, so we're locking this thread. When the consoles are out, a thread can be made making real life comparisons between load times for the two consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.