Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
339601-1592207417.jpg

Specifically, that shoulder pad armor. How does one attach sports shoulder pads to a leather jacket like this? Why does everyone in this setting seem to gravitate towards having only one shoulder protected?

1*0z8lpXRFUHTrVw5QLYu65Q.jpeg

Hardy Max had the same thing in his jacket.

GNzQOsRWsAAmHxU.jpg

So did this not-Max character from Furiosa.

1*jl0OIuOVoaDV-CWyJBv4MA.jpeg

Of course Fallout has it, too.

I'm trying to think of other media that had a constant fashion gimmick that's repeated throughout the series, or permeates spin-offs/other media that's inspired by the original's style. Anything else fit this trope?

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure it's because you need one arm without all that weight so you can attack and stuff with it.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
With proper fencing form, only one side of your body is exposed to danger.
I'm sure everyone follows proper duel etiquette in the world of Mad Max.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
For like sword fighting and such it's usually done to be the side facing the attacker, but really it's just to look cool here cause two shoulder pads looks silly

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The most important aspect to surviving the post apocalypse is to look cool.

I bet Lord Humungus wasn't even buff before the world ended.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just want to say that I'm obsessed with Not-Max in Furiosa (Jack?)
He's awesome, I would have loved to see him more but it's impressive that he manages to stand out in a movie like this (and I've never seen the actor in anything else before, so props to him).

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Max had two shoulder pads in the first movie so he probably just lost the left one at some point before Road Warrior. The Pursuit Special is also right-hand drive so it would make sense he'd prioritize protection on his right shoulder since that one's closest to the window.

But mostly it just looks cool.

Last edited:

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
Your sling bag goes over your left shoulder so it would get caught if there was armor there. The new tech would be to put the shoulder pad on the strap of the bag.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
He's awesome, I would have loved to see him more but it's impressive that he manages to stand out in a movie like this (and I've never seen the actor in anything else before, so props to him).

Yeah, honestly for all the praise I've seen for Chris Hemsworth and Anya Taylor-Joy, Tom Burke really nails that role. Extremely likeable character. Same thing for Alyla Brown playing young Furiosa.

Anyway, back to shoulder guards. I bet George Miller probably has a canonical reason for only one shoulder being guarded too that somehow makes sense, somewhere in that brain of his.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018

Praetorian Jack needs his own film now.

Teach me everything you know about road war...

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
339601-1592207417.jpg

Specifically, that shoulder pad armor. How does one attach sports shoulder pads to a leather jacket like this? Why does everyone in this setting seem to gravitate towards having only one shoulder protected?
The Mad Max wiki is (un)surprisingly detailed about this
A Rawlings football shoulder pad plate is attached to football shoulder pad arch padding by two one-inch-wide leather straps which are looped through the slots of the plate.
madmax.fandom.com

Max's MFP uniform

One of the most recognizable aspects of Max's character is that of his uniform. Sturdy, protective, and weather-resistant it gradually evolves alongside Max on his journeys spent in the Wasteland of Australia. The style of Max's jacket is a standard side-zip motorcycle jacket, though the lines...

But the asymmetric look is less practical and more symbolic of his (and the world's) metal state.

His jacket is more orderly and symmetrical in the first movie when he's still a police officer with the Main Force Patrol trying to maintain law and order in a state of societal decline.

By Mad Max 2, everything has collapsed and Max himself has largely given up hope after losing everything and mainly lives for himself. His asymmetric clothes show that he's been driven mad, like the rest of the world.

latest

Annihilo

Sep 14, 2019
symmetry represents order and assymetry represents chaos, i like that explanation. seems sound enough.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Saves weight. When you need to use it you just turn your body to have the armored shoulder take the blow

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
Conveniently it's the shoulder Furiosa leans her rifle on in Fury Road.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
The Mad Max wiki is (un)surprisingly detailed about this

madmax.fandom.com

Max's MFP uniform

One of the most recognizable aspects of Max's character is that of his uniform. Sturdy, protective, and weather-resistant it gradually evolves alongside Max on his journeys spent in the Wasteland of Australia. The style of Max's jacket is a standard side-zip motorcycle jacket, though the lines...

But the asymmetric look is less practical and more symbolic of his (and the world's) metal state.

His jacket is more orderly and symmetrical in the first movie when he's still a police officer with the Main Force Patrol trying to maintain law and order in a state of societal decline.

By Mad Max 2, everything has collapsed and Max himself has largely given up hope after losing everything and mainly lives for himself. His asymmetric clothes show that he's been driven mad, like the rest of the world.

latest
That's mudron's art!

kowhite

May 14, 2019
George Miller had two choices. Single should pad, or boob armor. Fortunately he chose the shoulder pad, Max would've looked weird with boob armor.