Votes: 47 6.4%
  • PS4

Votes: 53 7.3%
  • PS5

Votes: 369 50.5%

• Total voters

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I'm shocked that Vita and PSP had such strong launches in retrospect. They're much better in terms of variety and quality than any of the consoles.

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
What the hell, are you me? Bought WRC9 this evening (awesome controller-feedback and gameplay!). Played all the other games you mentioned in that order as well. PS5 is just great! Playing Ridge Racers on PSP for the first time was magical, too, though!
Twinsies!
WRC9 is really fun, was kinda surprised by it. Check out the OT in Hangouts as well, where some people post their weekly challenge time if you are interested. And did I really write Miles Norales, damn.

Oct 25, 2017
Games are too expensive so I still have just astrobot. I loved Vita though. It was the last time it felt genuinely exciting to me. Lumines + Uncharted had me hooked.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
Was too young for PS1 launch. PS2 and PSP had a shit ton of franchises I care about at launch, like at least 5-8 each, so those by FAR. Incredible launches.

PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita combined I could count on one hand what I care about at launch.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
Nice to hear from a PSP fan. What franchises did you like from both launches?

I think PSP had the most returning PS IP's I care about which had me the most excited. So now I think about it, PSP has the best PS launch for me. They added even more later like Medievil, Syphon Filter, Killzone and Resistance. Was like a mash of all PS great IP's since PS1 to that date.

PSP: Wipeout Pure, Twisted Metal Head On, Metal Gear Acid, Ridge Racer, Tony Hawk Underground, Dynasty Warriors, Ape Escape.

Literally love all those franchises. I grew up with and especially loved TM, Wipeout and Ridge Racer which I played to death on PS1. All released on the same day.

PS2: Armored Core, Dynasty Warriors 2, Ridge Racer 5, Tekken, Time Splitters - Granted some were new ips, or completely changed game style like Dynasty Warriors 2 (that one really hooked me back at launch, was amazing to run around a 3D battlefield and choose how to proceed even if its simplistic now).

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Other than a couple weeks of issues where games weren't loading reliably or needing to reboot the system, it's been basically flawless. It's been really stable for over a month now too, and the game lineup is one of the best console lineups ever. Not sure it beats the Dreamcast launch and nothing as big as Mario 64 or BotW, but it's definitely the best Sony launch IMO.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Going with PSP. I had one at the Japanese launch in December 2004 and there was something absolutely magical about playing Ridge Racers and Lumines on the thing, alongside using its various multimedia features for the first time.

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
I think PSP had the most returning PS IP's I care about which had me the most excited. So now I think about it, PSP has the best PS launch for me. They added even more later like Medievil, Syphon Filter, Killzone and Resistance. Was like a mash of all PS great IP's since PS1 to that date.

PSP: Wipeout Pure, Twisted Metal Head On, Metal Gear Acid, Ridge Racer, Tony Hawk Underground, Dynasty Warriors, Ape Escape.

Literally love all those franchises. I grew up with and especially loved TM, Wipeout and Ridge Racer which I played to death on PS1. All released on the same day.

PS2: Armored Core, Dynasty Warriors 2, Ridge Racer 5, Tekken, Time Splitters - Granted some were new ips, or completely changed game style like Dynasty Warriors 2 (that one really hooked me back at launch, was amazing to run around a 3D battlefield and choose how to proceed even if its simplistic now).

I think Twisted Metal Black continues to be my favorite (though the level design in the PS3's version was superb), but TM: Head-On was exciting due to feeling in more ways a successor to TM2 than TM3/4 did. Its eventual port to PS2 was great, but I was very happy at the time to see more Twisted Metal.

DW2 was just a mindwarp to me at the time, which is funny considering there's so much it doesn't do (limited levels, no co-op yet, every faction's characters having the same five levels, limited combat and avenues to overcome being outnumbered or outmaneuvering archers), but the sheer scale, even with all the fog, was so cool and new for me at the time. You were no longer just the one guy fighting the world.

Fuck Guan Du, though. I mean, the level is great, but holy hell, that was the absolute hardest version of burning down the camp of any of the ones there, whereas when you play Yuan Shao's army, it's the only one I can remember where the burning is guaranteed. And shit, even when you burn down the camp, this version doesn't have Zhang He defecting unless you're actually on that side.

To this stay, I still can't tell you 100% how to burn down Shu's camp in Yi Ling in that second game.

Oct 30, 2017
PSP had an amazing launch. Vita's was solid.
PSP might be the best.
PS5 has been tremendous, though, bolstered by the great backwards compatibility.

Oct 27, 2017
Numero uno.

I've invested a crazy amount of time into a variety of the launch titles and had a fantastic experience so far. In Demon's Souls, I think the PS5 has a launch game that will still be a system essential in 6-7 years time.

The worst for me has always been the PS3, a launch that I really did dislike, but in hindsight I think I might have been wrong on that. I would kill to have had a Motorstorm or Ridge Racer for the PS5 launch, or to get either at any point in this systems life to be honest.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uncharted, Wipeout, Everybody's Golf, Lumines exclusives at launch with great indies (like Mutant Blobs attack, also exclusive) and stellar ports (Virtua Tennis).

It's not even a contest for anyone who can think for themselves.

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
Even though it's too late to really poll it well, I'm gonna add PSVR to the OP at some point. I didn't originally since you needed a PS4 to play it, but it had its own launch with its own games and truly felt like a different experience (to say the least), so it feels kind of weird not to have it.

5117400cv19d.jpg

Also, I spent a lot of time getting stuff together for this thread, so I wondered for a while if it would end up getting 20 replies and that's it. Really happy to read people's input and memories and see it was worth it. I might have to do this for Nintendo, Microsoft, and maybe even Sega if people dig it.

Numero uno.

I've invested a crazy amount of time into a variety of the launch titles and had a fantastic experience so far. In Demon's Souls, I think the PS5 has a launch game that will still be a system essential in 6-7 years time.

The worst for me has always been the PS3, a launch that I really did dislike, but in hindsight I think I might have been wrong on that. I would kill to have had a Motorstorm or Ridge Racer for the PS5 launch, or to get either at any point in this systems life to be honest.

At the time of the PS3, I really wondered if Resistance: Fall of Man was going to be the killer app similar to Halo. And while it was a good launch game, I think the reason I put that expectation on it at the time, besides being younger, was because Halo wasn't that long ago at the time, and Killzone had recently been compared online as a possible Halo killer. So at the time, the reviews and being a standout launch title had me putting it higher than it ended up being in terms of moving systems.

But a lot was working against the PS3 at the time, anyway.

It's not even a contest for anyone who can think for themselves.

Geez. =\