How does the PS5 look to you aesthetically in person compared to the initial pictures?

• It was beautiful from da moment I first saw it, to the day I got my hands on it.

Votes: 493 27.6%
  • It was ugly then and it's ugly now... Are you surprised?

Votes: 890 49.9%
  • When I saw the pictures I wasn't impressed, but when its right there in front of me... Vavavavoom!!!

Votes: 256 14.3%
  • The pictures were hot, but this thing looks like a Transformer shat in my living room!

Votes: 146 8.2%

• Total voters
Aug 10, 2019
When the PS5 was revealed I didn't understand why Sony would make this ugly ass monstrosity that looked like a mix between a Beyblade and a JJ Abrams Star Trek CPU. But now that it's in front of me, I get that they had to hide the size of this beast underneath the wings to make it not appear like a gigantic lego shit block. For those who have seen this thing in person, what's your impression of the aesthetics of the PS5?

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
I wouldn't say it's ugly per se...just odd looking. Sticks out and is very noticeable as soon as you enter the room, which is not usually the goal for consumer electronics.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I wish there was a PS logo etched on the other side so I could position it exactly like I originally planned. Now I've just got it in a 'corner' of the top of my entertainment center.

Really like the glow. It looks much better vertically than horizontally.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I was kinda "meh" on the design, personally, but I really dig it in-person now. The LED's look soo much better implemented than on the PS4 and the entire build of the thing feels so premium.

ZeroCDR

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have to keep it horizontal for now, and it's just.. yuck lol

Love everything else so far.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I still think it looks good but holy shit it's a big boi. The size is a bigger detriment than the design for me

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I don't have one, but holy fuck, every indication is that the DualSense is a giant leap up from every controller before it. Just hearing about how awesome it is tempts me to go out and get a PS5 DE, but the apparent massive size of it prevents me from putting any serious thought into it. Maybe I'll get one once there's a PS5 DE slim.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I actually can't believe how gigantic and ugly it is. I'm having a ton of fun with it so far but god damn

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I picked the 3rd option because your first option was doing to much.

I thought it look good in a different way, when it was first shown. Looked nice from certain angles, and not so much from other angles.

But now that it's in front of me, damn does it look nice and futuristic. I have it laying horizontal though.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I shit you not, the first words my wife said when she saw it (she's not a gamer and hadn't seen it yet) were, "Oh wow, that thing is really ugly.". And I just chuckled and agreed. It's probably the ugliest console I've ever owned.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I think it's huge, but all my non gamer friends and family actually like it. It's literally the first time anybody asked me about a console. I have it vertical.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Not only it's fucking ugly but also cheap-looking, material build quality is lower than it looked on renders.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
at certain angles i could kinda get what they were going for in the pictures. it didn't look that bad.

in person this thing is fucking ghastly. and what really does it is the size. i had to move my mini consoles out of the way and now it sits next to my 360, dwarfing it like it's the start of a new hope. just looking at it from across the room is like someone is magnifying it just to show the imperfections and waste of plastic.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
It's still ugly and it's even bigger than I thought. Will trade in for a slim or purchase some plates that make it look like regular hardware.

nadbmal

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
I don't have mine yet but from all the "casual photos" posted here of their setups and such, it just looks so unnatural and alien, like it's from another world.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
It looks fantastic in person and easily blends into my media set up. Beautiful.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like the look of it so far. It actually looks smaller to me than it did in videos and pictures. I think it would look better vertical, but I can't do that with my setup and pets, so it's horizontal on my media shelf.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
I know people joke about how big it is, but sweet fuck it still took me surprise. It's awkward as hell but I think different colored plates will go a long way.

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From the promo pictures you would think the mid section was matte but upon seeing real life videos of it you can see that it's a terrible gloss. Much worse in person.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
still clashes with my setup. Also bigger than I expected it to be.
I've come around from hating it to being meh I don't like it but whatever. As long as it plays games that I want to play on it I'm fine with it. Although will trade it in once a Slim/smaller PS5 comes out right away

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Its pretty ugly but i dont care, it runs great and everything is fast as fuck. I have mine set vertically, ran it all day today downloading stuff and it was quiet.

The xbox is definitely prettier, even just (cardboard) box wise the PS5 box is bland and boring and flimsy and inelegant while the Series X box is really fantastic and custom built and unfolds like origami. Even a simple thing like the stand is already attached to the xbox while it comes detached on the PS5 and i literally had to watch a youtube video on how to attach it (vertically) because I'm too dumb to figure it out on my own lol

On the other hand I turned my xbox on, played forza horizon 4 for a bit, then turned it off but i've had my PS5 on all day just messing around with tons of stuff.

Red5

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty ugly in person and way bigger than I thought. The stand is also pretty bad for the horizontal alignment.

Having said that, it's quiet as hell and the controller is good so it's not a big deal.

cloudy

Nov 10, 2017
It's somehow more horrendous in person. I don't understand why they just didn't go with a rectangular box design. Counting the days till there's a ps5 slim

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Waiting to get mine so I didn't vote, but honestly I always loved the design ,the only downside is that it's the size of my fucking PC tower.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
It's funny how people were crying about how big the Series X was. That thing is an absolute masterclass in design compared to the PS5.

NavyPharaoh

Oct 27, 2017
It's not as big as people make it seem or so I thought until my girlfriend said, "it's beautiful but damn why is it so big!"

Jun 23, 2019
lol I'm laughing at all these people in here going, "Zomg! It's the most hideous thing ever created!" Leave it to gamers to think a boring ass black box is some how aesthetically pleasing. 🙄

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
P.S. My PS5 is vertical and I believe that to be a really nice way to display/store

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
It's bold and beautiful. It definitely looks better than that rectangle void next to it.
But lmao, the Switch is so tiny next to these behemoths.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My initial impressions on it are down from pictures, as opposed to the XSX which is up compared to prerelease pics.

The PS5... is just too comically large...and like wow. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it definitely stands out in my setup

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't care less what the box looked like when it was revealed, and I couldn't care less now. I keep it in a vented, closed cabinet.

Erdnuckel01

Oct 29, 2017
Don't have one myself but I had the chance to see it live....it is still as ugly as when it was revealed.

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol I'm laughing at all these people in here going, "Zomg! It's the most hideous thing ever created!" Leave it to gamers to think a boring ass black box is some how aesthetically pleasing. 🙄
Yes that's how bad it is that a black slab looks good by comparison. You can do different and do it well just look at the GameCube, the perfect design.