thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
They call them Hungry-Man dinners because you'll still be a hungry man after eating one.

It's crazy how some of those can have so many calories but seem to do nothing for actual hunger.

I'd rather eat the whole bag of this at 740 calories:

76f42d02-c07d-4eb3-b99d-6b2dbbc6d192_1.fbe9227989409adc253e3c0f729657bf.jpeg

Which is more filling and has fewer calories than this at 800 calories:

71HoG1mkGSL._SX355_.jpg

But my favorite "easy meal" is these guys:

Broccoli-and-Cheese-Stuffed-Chicken-Breast-1-600x450.jpg

Two of those with a veggie and a small amount of carb like rice is fantastic.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I'm almost sure I've never had one of those cafeteria frozen trays they look nasty like I don't see a point at all. If I was in a hurry I could just make a smoothie

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Like two days ago, there are some "healthier" ones that I like to get. Cheaper than buying lunch from somewhere and some of them taste pretty good.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Why not meal prep one night, instead of eating frozen dinners to save time?

I used to eat frozen meals when I was younger until I was 15 or so.

Nov 8, 2017
Not for a while. I don't think there are any good microwave ready meals in the Netherlands; they're all horribly bland and over-priced. The UK had some reasonably good ones though.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Wednesday and usually at least two or three times a week for my lunch break at work.

Last edited:

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
The last time I was so sick that I didn't want to bother with making food is the last time I remember buying some microwaveable soup for certain but I sometimes (rarely) might buy some stuff to try them out, if I see some new products 30-50% off that sounds good. The last time I was sick was maybe a year ago so that's when I definitely had some, but I might've bought some after that that I don't remember.

Microwave food is generally kinda crap so I don't really bother with it much.

Edit: to add, cooking couscous or rice or such takes about 30-45 seconds of physical labour all in all (measure water & rice, take out the kettle, turn on the stove, pretty much done 99% of what needs to be done) and doing some simple sauce with a protein source to pour on the rice only requires a few minutes, so other than having to wait for stuff to heat & cook up, it's really not more than a few minutes of actually doing something that is required to make a quick and simple and much more delicious meal than some microwave stuff when you're tired or lazy.

Tortillas are also easy. Cook & season protein source of your choice (few minutes), prepare some vegetables/fruits/salad (which can range from 10 seconds of cutting some iceberg lettuce to maybe a minute of halving cherry tomatoes), throw that shit & some sauve/mayo on a tortilla, wrap it and enjoy.

Last edited:

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I definitely use frozen ingredients pretty often... Trader Joe's basically, but they aren't microwaved. Haven't had a frozen meal in the microwave in over a decade.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Haven't owned a microwave for 10 years or so. At least that long. Ate em all the time growing.up though!

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Poll please.
Like, 3 years I guess.
But also, the overall number of these things I've eaten in my life is probably less than 10.

Juno

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes have a coconut chicken soup from the store, it's really great and convenient

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
I eat trader joes frozen and non frozen stuff all the time. Kinda cheat since I only use the oven or stove top to cook/reheat them and not microwave.

Murasaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Deep North
A lot of UK supermarket Indian and Chinese food advises microwave cooking; would those count? Why have the oven on for an hour when you could nuke a beef in black bean in 4 minutes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aya

Can't believe you guys are soooo lazy and prefer eating that frozen crap. A nice cheese omelette with bacon, tomatoes and mushrooms on the side takes literally less than 5 min to make it, if the mushrooms are already washed and cut. Def cheaper too. Or 10 min to boil some pasta, add some olive oil and a bit of ham, tomatoes or whatever else, parmigiano. And SO much healthier.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Couple of years ago. I either cook myself or order something. There's a ton of cheap meals you can make in a couple of minutes which taste a lot better than anything that leaves a microwave.

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
Couple weeks ago now, I had my family over so now i've got leftovers for dayys.

Don't know if its different in the US, but ready meals in the UK are generally good quality and there's also a big grey area between microwave ready meals and convenient ingredient kits. Tons of ready meals are actually oven meals (or they can be either). So if they're defined by whether you microwave them, does that make soup a ready meal?

Anyway I always tend to have one or two "convenient" meals in my cupboard of freezer just in case im busy and get back late. Also if there's anything interesting in the reduced section its nice to try something new. Often its nice to buy a bunch of ingredients, buy something quick for when i get home, and then using the ingredients next day. Cause I walk to the shops and carry all my groceries by hand.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least 5+ years ago, probably when I worked in retail, would have them for lunch in a pinch.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't remember, but they mostly taste shitty and are unhealthy so thank you for reminding me that I won't buy them anymore. Preparing beforehand is way way better and you can do it for a whole week.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a microwave so certainly not anytime in the last five years.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Like a week ago. The cheap kind! :D

I even made worklunch versions for myself last week. Behold.. lol

EHOAz7wWwAEhhQP

DELICIOUS POVERTY COMFORT FOODS!

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
My husband takes a Smart One to work every day, they are cheap and easy to deal with on a job where he doesn't get an official lunch break.

I eat frozen meals once in a while as well, no shame in them.

Edit: I am surprised at the amount of replies that don't have a microwave.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I eat a few of them a week. Banquet brand are oftentimes $1.00 a piece and surprisely tastely for how cheap they are.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Almost every day when I lived in Japan I had microwave meals. I loved that they microwaved them for me in the convenience stores.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
like a year ago but because of this thread now i want a Hungry Man dinner lol. They have tons of preservatives which are a carcinogen tho so i would recommend to the people ITT saying they eat them all the time to uhhhh not do that.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Like maybe 5 or 6 years ago

I haven't really eaten tv dinners since I moved out of my parents' house.

Although I do microwave frozen veggie burgers every so often, if they count.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty regularly. They're usually on sale, buy 5 for $10, that sort of thing. I shop for groceries every other week so like half of my weeknights. Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice mostly.

Honestly, I find them pretty filling and tasty enough, though I'll usually add some additional spices - paprika, Italian blend, garlic powder. And most of them are under 400 calories. Sodium levels are high though, so I wouldn't call them healthy.

When I only have a couple hours to myself after work, I can't justify spending the time to prepare a meal for one person from scratch. Even simple stuff like pasta and sauce takes four times as long and isn't any tastier.