• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BarryAllen

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shit job meaning Target, Best Buy, Lifeguard, all the shitty jobs that nobody wants to ever work at

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Almost two years, but now I have a great job that pays shit, so sometimes it doesn't feel like that much of an upgrade

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Currently work at Best Buy. It's not as terrible for me as for some, but there are a lot of crappy people.

Salamando

Oct 25, 2017
< 2 months. Graduated early August over ten years ago, had a career-type job that I started Oct 1.

Drelkag

Oct 25, 2017
Little over a year before I landed anything that has to do with my degree - was retail at a Family Dollar.

Deleted member 1441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP, you're reading my mind. I graduate in two months and have been throwing my resume every direction I can right now, and already planning out my finances if I don't immediately find a job in Jan-Feb18.

If I don't find work in Marketing/Advertising in the fields I want, I might just go back and work as a State Auditor. Its not the worst back-up plan, but I just have no interest going back to audit work.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
I'm lucky. I never really had a shit job.

I worked a summer helping my dad with building a house and the interior of a horse stable including the office.

Then, I got my first job as a programmer at 16 developing fault reporting software ( the information coming from small bots that would scan the inside of oil pipes ).

When I got into college, my first job was a game tester and probably the one I liked the least. Quit within 3 months.

Then, I became a student mentor (really just I tutored other college students ).

Following that, I participated in campus patrolling.

Then, I got hired to another software company. This time, my primary code was to hope code some of their new C# stuff and migrate their VB6 program to a newer version of windows server.

Graduated college.

First post college job was data migration. Got promoted to software development for new software. Then, I became a project lead for one of or newer packages. Now, I'm the manager of software development.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
Took about 5 years after my last full-time program before I landed a stable career job. Wasn't working at Best Buy or anything till then, but scraping by with contract positions that seemed like it would never end. Another year if you toss in the time between that last full-time program and my undergrad.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Never worked at retailer but 6 months after graduating I landed a job as a software tester. While not as awful as retail, it was boring, dull and a shit job. I spent some time depressed that I couldn't land a job related to my career as a programmer.

Thankfully, before the year ended, I got a job as a programmer.

Khaines

Oct 25, 2017
I had a strange situation. I graduated last year with a PoliSci degree which is generally hopeless without more education (e.g. becoming a lawyer). All the entry level jobs I applied to wouldn't look at me but all of the high paying positions contacted me back for interviews or testing. I had one entry-level position interview ever and they offered me the job on the spot so I took it thinking I would at least have money for the interim. I accepted and started working 3 days a week for $15/hr and I hated it. As it turns out, the bigger companies I applied to were just very slow to respond. Two weeks after accepting my legal assistant position I was contacted by the highest paying position I applied to because I had the highest MS Office testing scores. After 2 more rounds of testing, I was offered a contract position. It's been one year and I've already assumed an even higher position in the current company. I am more or less a technical writer. I set up meetings with "subject matter experts" and then document their processes to satisfy regulations. I grew up low income so I'm fucking ecstatic to be making $40/hr and have an incredible amount of freedom at work (my own hours, my own schedule, all deadlines are year-end). I love my job.

I should note, my situation was somewhat unique. I managed to enter an unionized company with a lot of ageing staff (I am 6 years younger than anyone else, and most staff have 10-20 years in the company). I by no means a programmer or computer science major but I have repeatedly demonstrated my fondness for these things. Yes, I am "the resident IT guy" but people think I'm a wizard and they pay me accordingly.

LOLDSFAN

Oct 25, 2017
Luckily I didn't.

In college I had a pretty nice part time job on campus. Was unemployed for 4 months or so after graduating. Then got a decent full time job.

Oct 27, 2017
I work at enterprise, which is basically the "after college get some experience then quit" job. I keep making agreements with myself that if I don't get a promotion in the next couple months I'll start looking for something else, but I keep moving up. I'm good at my job, and Im liked by upper management, so I figure the more I keep moving up, the more I'll stick with it. Been a year and a half and I've gotten four promotions, each with a nice bump in salary. Plus the job gets easier with each promotion, so we will see. My dad told me you want to be with a company at least two years so it looks like your dependable

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I didn't have to. I went military then college, so I already had work experience. A few months out from graduating I started to apply. After I graduated, I was in a job in my field within two months. It wasn't my first choice, but it was a foot in the door and it led to better things.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Three years, in a pink collar* job which I consider pretty shitty.

*pink collar like office admin, paralegal, "personal assistant," etc.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's gather round the fire and talk about graduating College in May of 2009. The world economy was literally crashing down around us and there I was, a young fellow with a bachelors degree in History...

Needless to say, worked first year at Rite Aid, then the next 2 years doing data entry at a law office making $15 an hour with no promotions in sight. Said fuck it and went to law school, am now 31 and FINALLY started my career job in April. (Had 2 decent jobs for 2 years after graduating law school but nothing career worthy)

So 8 years start to finish.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Graduated last December, not in a "shit" job per say but would definitely like to be doing more. Just became to comfortable in my position and never truly attempted to get a new job upon graduation. Waiting out to use my vacation time, take a sweet end of the year bonus, and then grind away at finding a new job.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
About 3 months, mind you it is not in my field, but it pays the bills and I enjoy it, so we'll call it even.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
6 months unemployment before finding a good job.

Which I feel is worse than a shit job but then again I enjoyed my life more unemployed more than the 3 months I had to work retail when I was in university.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
About 6 months at an indirect Sprint Store. It was 6 months because it went under, forcing me to look for other employment (which I'm very grateful).

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
3 Months removed and still unemployed. I feel like i'm stuck in a bit of limbo. I want to go to graduate school but to do that I have to get a job to pay for some costs. But the jobs I can get right now either have schedules that are not conducive to grad school, or dont pay enough. Honestly not sure exactly what to do...got 3 more months before i'm out of grace period of for loans too. Yay.

ScatheZombie

Oct 26, 2017
What's the answer if your career itself was a shit job that everyone thinks they want but is actually fucking terrible?

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Graduated in 2015, worked part time for my dad,

2016; Got a voluntarily role at a local charity shop,

2017; Got my first proper job as an apprentice dental nurse, it was terrible and was making me miserable so I got fired about 3 months in.

I am now currently doing an unpaid admin placement, which is due to end next week and I have no idea if they will take me on or not. While at the same time I am working on my novel.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In December two years and counting...

Honestly I'm starting to lose faith that I'll ever find something in my field. And I didn't even study some abstract shit like philosophy or arts, just economics/marketing. But I lack working experience outside of interns, and, probably more important, knowing the right people.

So I'm now cleaning trains to pay the rent and eat, blegh.

Felix Lighter

Oct 25, 2017
I worked as a grocery store stock boy and then security guard for about 8 months before I was hired to begin my actual career. That was 15 years ago.

bgbball31

Oct 25, 2017
Graduated college in 2012. Found out in the last semester of my senior year that I really didn't want to do this for the rest of my life (really sucks that your only real "internship" as a teacher is student teaching in your last semester). Went back to finish pre-med courses, finished those summer 2016.

Turns out, not many companies (Re: any) hiring a person with a bachelor's in math education and minors in chemistry and biology, so I've been working the same part-time job since I was in school to be a teacher for the past 5 years.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
For two years. It wasn't until I got my CPA that I got a job which gave me a really good livable wage. I also got the opportunity to work in other countries too.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
3 and a half months.

And only because they didn't have me starting there until September. I graduated in early May and got the job 2 weeks later, but it didn't hurt to get more money in the meantime. I will say that was a damn good feeling of not having to give a fuck those last few months after having been in retail for 4 years at that point. Just 3 and a half solid months of screwing around and not taking shit from customers.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
First, my condolences for all of you with loans humping it in retail. That's pain I was party to with an ex girlfriend. I know the stress that put on a person.

I was working in the IT department for my college by the time I graduated, 20 - 30 hours a week when classes were in session. It was OK. The pay was great for a college student, but I don't think many people would consider it a lot of money for a working adult.

I landed a pretty good job in the tech sector right out of college - good as in the pay was decent and it had good benefits, but it turned miserable due to my duties and the people I worked with. Very political, competitive environment. That almost soured me on the industry and led to me changing from largely programming duties to just general IT. It wasn't until a good eight years after college that I landed a good, specialized job with terrific pay. Still here now. They still even have a pension. I plan on retiring from here if I can - they're very flexible and I can work when I want, which is great for someone who suffers from intermittent insomnia and wants to work in the middle of the night, from home even, for weeks on end.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Like five or so years. I jumped around shitty jobs. The shittiest of them all I was at for a year and a half. The rest weren't as bad and paid a fuckload more, but they were dead-end and lame.

Edit: I majored in English though so shame on me.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Over three years until I got something sort of related to my degree and had to kind of work into it from there. I graduated in 08 though and everything crashed right when I was looking, so... yeah it wasn't good.