• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still have about 4.5 years left on mine. I started off at $90k at the end of 2015, and it's down to about $60k now. I've been paying $1k+ per month all this time on them.

Once I finish them off, I'm going to try to go to Canada so I don't have to worry about starting this all over again with future potential medical debt.

Oct 27, 2017
My primary student loans through Sallie Mae (now Navient) were paid off a month or two ago, so 10 years. A portion were sold off to FedLoan and I'm working on getting those paid off, should be in another year or so.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
As slowly as possible since it was a 20 year loan at 2.00% interest after incentives. Started at 3.25%, reduced by 0.25% for automatic debit and another 1.00% reduction after 36 on-time payments. I ended paying it off ~5 years early because the low balance was annoying to keep around, and I wanted to improve my debt-to-income ratio before refinancing my mortgage.

it counts as 'real' debt? I think in the UK it isn't included in things like mortage calculations.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
I'm 20 years and still have $29k left of $54k. All from grad school (Master's and Ph D in a city where the stipend wasn't enough, and some bad decisions to not live with roomates for a few years etc.).

I don't really mind as I consolidated (FedLoan) at 3% and the minimum payment is $265. I send $300 a month lately, did $350 before wedding and then home purchase savings. Will up it again once I get the rainy day fund back up to 6 months expenses. Little set back there from needing surgery and having to give up my summer class taking some money out of my pocket (about $5k after taxes).

We make good money, so they payment isn't any kind of burden. My wife has way more student loans and a higher payment and higher interest as she finished years later than I did. But she makes the payments easily, but definitely feels it more than I do (we keep our finances completely separate).

Last edited:

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
2 years, but i went after it hard cause i didn't have any debt back then

now that i have a mortgage and other payments i couldn't have done it as fast. so do it early if you can

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
First, I'm Gen X, so my loans weren't awful. According to most reckonings I'd be a millennial if I was born one year later.

Second, I was amazingly lucky with jobs out of college and was earning good money by age 23. I was even making decent money in college working for the IT dept.

I paid off my loans when I was 26 or 27. I probably could have done it sooner but there were other life things going on and I was saving a lot.

Air

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol I haven't. Maybe in 10 years, or sooner if I become rich (hah)

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Me and my wife had about 70k combined, we paid off the high interest ones (including 30k of mine which was a private loan) in about 2 years, and now only have 15k in very low interest, which we're okay putting on the backburner a bit and just paying a little bit above the minimums while we save for other things and start investing.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Around 2.5 years. I paid it off aggressively, but didn't have much other debt aside from a car loan and was able to focus my efforts.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I'm about 2.5 years into paying off mine but i'm at the point now where I don't know if it's better to use my additional income to pay off the $16k I have left (started at $20k) or to save the money for a down payment on a house. My goal is to buy my first home within the next 2 years so while I could pay off that $16k in probably 18 months, I think it would be better served to afford me a better home.

JCX

Oct 25, 2017
About 6 years. Got lucky and got a good paying job after college, then lived at home for 3.5 years to throw money at it until it was paid off. Not happy about spending the prime of my 20's living at home, but at least I am free from that.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Took me like eight months. Lots of overtime and living like a monk to pay back 25k. Kept going like that for three years, shoveling all my cash into RRSP (401k) since I had tons of unused deductions from working since I was 14. Just kept reinvesting the tax refunds into more RRSPs.

Oct 25, 2017
I graduated in 2001. I paid mine off in 2017. To be fair, my debt wasn't that high and my payments were comparatively small ($113 a month). Felt good to be done, though.

Oct 27, 2017
Been like ten years and I've actually got enough to pay it all back. Just a matter of if I should exhaust most of savings to do it. I might lose my job or need to buy a new car.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't paid mine off, I have around $9K left and the remainder is pretty low interest (2.9%), so I just pay the minimums. I could pay it off now, but guess I'd rather just leave the money in investments or liquid cash seeing as the interest on it is fairly low. If it was like 5% or more, I'd definitely prioritize paying it off.

This is the approach everyone should be taking unless it's a relatively high balance and you're looking for that psychological satisfication of having almost none to no debt.

rafiki

Alt account
Banned
May 18, 2019
1 year, OSAP is dope. they give you 6 month interest free,interest rate is also low, bunch of grants and bersuries too. 4 years of undergrad engineering had me in 34k debt. With 16 month internship, i already had that down to 20k

Nov 9, 2017
graduated with 30k in debt and my salary for the most part was 35k in SEATTLE, and im about to finish paying it all off this month after 29 months. With your salary and if you went as aggressive as I did, you could pay it all off in less than a year.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
I got 3k left on mine from an original of £17k. Still 2 more years @ 1.5% interest which is the only reason why I don't pay it off immediately.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
never needed a loan, fortunately. Tuition isnt that high over here so I was able to keep a steady side-job for 10 to 16 hours a week which paid for pretty much everything during that time.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
Started with about 34k, two years later I am down to 26k. I could definitely be doing it faster and be more aggressive, but I'm fine with the current pace.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
In the UK they forgive the debt after 25 years if you haven't paid it off, which I definitely won't have. 10 years in and I've done very little.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
2 years. I paid it down aggressively and I live at home and kept my expenses minimal back then. I spent way less on gaming as well(league of legends RP only)

TKM

Oct 28, 2017
it counts as 'real' debt? I think in the UK it isn't included in things like mortage calculations.

It does for one of two DTI's in the U.S.

What factors make up a DTI ratio?

What factors make up a DTI ratio?

There are two components mortgage lenders use for a DTI ratio: a front-end ratio and back-end ratio. Here's a closer look at each and how they are calculated:
  • Front-end ratio, also called the housing ratio, shows what percentage of your monthly gross income would go toward your housing expenses, including your monthly mortgage payment, property taxes, homeowners insurance and homeowners association dues.
  • Back-end ratio shows what portion of your income is needed to cover all of your monthly debt obligations, plus your mortgage payments and housing expenses. This includes credit card bills, car loans, child support, student loans and any other revolving debt that shows on your credit report.
So student loans would count in the calculation of the "back-end debt-to-income ratio". My payment was less than $120/mo and unlikely to be a deal breaker, but I wanted to present as pretty a credit risk profile as possible. Looking back, I probably should have kept that loan as inflation had already eaten the value considerably, and 2.00% is impossible to get anywhere.

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't a few months? I went to a SUNY school and had a bunch of grants, so only had maybe $10k to pay off. I was also working full time by my second year.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
My grandmother paid my undergrad for me and I paid mine my grad loans as so as I was done thanks to an inheritance but I has less than $10k ish because I worked on campus for almost half my tuition and got another 5k per year off for being an "adult" student with entering in with a 4.0.

Casualcore

Jul 25, 2018
I refinanced back when the government gave a sh*t, so I just paid the minimums. My interest rate was locked in very low. I think it was 14 years.

Oct 27, 2017
Like a year or two as I recall. But this was in the early 1990s when college wasn't nearly so obnoxiously expensive. I also worked throughout college.

Last edited:

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
58k in debt, making 66k.

I'm the only one in my hiring class who took out debt, everyone else is an Aristocrat :(. Not sure if I should feel successful or lucky.

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
This is the approach everyone should be taking unless it's a relatively high balance and you're looking for that psychological satisfication of having almost none to no debt.

Hard disagree. First, 3% is high enough that it should be knocked out sooner than later. Second, student loan debt is one of the worst kinds of debt you can have... it's not discharged in bankruptcy.

I was 74k in debt took me about 6-7 years. Last 3 years I was intense with it. I think counting the interest I probably paid about a 100k