• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
(from a Video Game point of view)

In the "Old Era" days I made the below thread, and was generally lambasted. I gave it 2-4 years at the time (2016), and with the news that Sony is pulling out, seems my predication still has a chance.

GUZU1r4.png

Not singling you out Kyo, but this was the general response I got

Jvu3wBb.png

MOD EDIT - Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, like anything else, it's a way to raise all boats and give more visibility to things that normally wouldn't get as much. So if E3 itself goes away, something else would take its place. In any case, today's events aren't about E3, though it does hurt the show.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty relevant if we're making a bunch of posts about it and who is or who is not participating and attending, eh?

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They opened it to the public. Last year's was a fairly big success if I recall. People buy tickets in droves and game companies are still making big announcements in there.

So still pretty relevant.

OP
OP
Justified

Justified

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Again from a Video Gaming point of view, not an industry trade show, though I dont see that side lasting long either with CES still around as I said in the OG post

Pretty relevant if we're making a bunch of posts about it and who is or who is not participating and attending, eh?

well in this case the relevance isnt of the show itself, but the news surrounding it

AnubisRising

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
never its still the biggest game conference at least in the us. even if publishers or conference makers do there own thing they can still do e3

Oct 25, 2017
Probably don't need to link to that site to make your point.

Sony will most likely be back the following year with the ps5.
I'd prefer for e3's presence to diminish with a more constant stream of news instead, but it'll be awhile.

Live press conferences will probably end within the next two years, tho. Pre recorded just seems way better

Deleted member 1326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I won't care about it much anymore. I only really watched Sony's conference.
Not sure about the relevance, it might become another PAX.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
If publishers announce things whenever in the year than most people wont care.The industry is so big that a place to announce games and create hype is needed.

BoredLemon

Nov 11, 2017
Nah, i doubt Sony skipping E3 has anything to do with it's relevance. They probably just don't have new PS4 games to show, and it'll be too early to start promoting PS5.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I think the transition is going to be away from a single event, and more towards a series of events that all happen in the LA area around the same time. Closer to a Paris Games Week than the public convention that currently occurs.

I'm still not convinced that Sony will be showing nothing during the E3 time period. They may just do a smaller streaming event, and only do scheduled stuff with press off-site.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
E3 is primarily an event where video game makers and retailers can meet and begin preparations for holiday promos. For that reason alone E3 will remain relevant for quite some time.

With recent news I expected threads like this. :)

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Sony will go back to E3 in 2020.

Fact is they just don't have much new to announce, we know what's on the horizon and once their current line-up hits stores they'll be ready to return.

At the very least whenever they decide to show off PS5 in more detail you can bet they'll do it in front of an audience.

Oct 27, 2017
Sadly I could see next year be the last. I was actually planning a trip for 2019 and was waiting to buy the tickets when they go on sale in Jan/Feb. never been and it's always been a dream of mine.

Oh well. How hard is it to get into the events nearby? Like the Xbox events? Do you buy another ticket or it's first come first serve

Going to an E3 is literally on my "before we have a kid" list but oh well.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The video game industry exists outside of Sony.
I feel bad for PlayStation only fans. E3 is like Christmas. It's a really fun and going head to head with the other big guns in the industry is part of the appeal. You can't replicate it.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is more about Sony's plans for 2019 going into 2020 for next gen, rather than E3's relevance. I fully expect them to be back for E3 2020, I doubt they want another E3 2018 but worse.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
The opening press conferences have been outdated and useless for many years now.

E3 as an actual trade show though should be relevant for as long as console gaming is. I do think that other publishers will adopt a more decentralized approach like Nintendo has though with the Directs throughout the year. We all got the internet. There's literally zero point in cramming all of your announcements for the year into one week.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Part of me feels like we would see EA and Activision give up Microtransactions willingly before E3 would lose relevance. There are plenty of other shows throughout the year to showcase titles, but in terms of making sure to get the most eyes glued, E3 still takes it. Sony skipping a conference might raise concerns, but it isn't that Sony had confirmed outright that we won't see anything from them either.

If we are about to go into new generation of gaming Sony can't afford to skip E3. It was literally at E3 that they made their claim and struck a blow that many would say won them the generation by calling out the DRM practice that Microsoft was going to implement.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Lol. Did you even think of why Sony decided not to show or were you like "Yes! Vindication!!!! *singsong* and made this thread?

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft drops out eventually too and all the big press conferences are from third-party publishers.

Ubi, EA, Bethesda, "PC Gaming", Devolver Digital, Activision, etc.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
It's been irrelevant ever since social media existed. Nintendo's last real conference was around the Wii U and they went to video ever since. E3 is like gaming magazines now: a relic of a bygone age when news wasn't instantaneous.

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm ok with E3 not existing in its current form. I don't really see a need for it considering how easy it is to get information now. Also, while it's really awesome for some games to get shown on the big stage, sooooooo many are just completely forgotten about in seconds. It sucks. I'm sure the politics of whether or not there's time for your showing at the press conference...only to get cut last minute.... is a nice stress to not have anymore too.

Evangelista

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
The opening press conferences have been outdated and useless for many years now.

E3 as an actual trade show though should be relevant for as long as console gaming is. I do think that other publishers will adopt a more decentralized approach like Nintendo has though with the Directs throughout the year. We all got the internet. There's literally zero point in cramming all of your announcements for the year into one week.
Conferences have millions of views.

Playstation is taking more risk than E3 since next gen gate is around the corner.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
The video game industry exists outside of Sony.
I feel bad for PlayStation only fans. E3 is like Christmas. It's a really fun and going head to head with the other big guns in the industry is part of the appeal. You can't replicate it.

Yes, but in the current gaming industry, if the publishers that make up E3 are the Rolling Stones, they just lost their Mick Jagger. Sony had been by far the biggest mover and shaker in the 25-year history of the conference, and are the current market leader.

The problem is, by definition, E3 is a static event in an interconnected world. Gamers don't need to load up on planes and fly to LA anymore to go, the full experience - including all of the press events, are available for live streaming. The only thing many gamers are missing out on are the demos.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
E3 is about much more than first party press conferences. Obviously a hell of a lot of third parties are there, developers finding publishers and vice versa, and a ton of networking happens in the biggest event of the year for the trade.

OP
OP
Justified

Justified

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta

I'm ok with E3 not existing in its current form. I don't really see a need for it considering how easy it is to get information now. Also, while it's really awesome for some games to get shown on the big stage, sooooooo many are just completely forgotten about in seconds. It sucks. I'm sure the politics of whether or not there's time for your showing at the press conference...only to get cut last minute.... is a nice stress to not have anymore too.

This is my point and why I lead with "from a video game perspective".

As a business trade show, Im sure it will go on, as there are dozens of trade shows a year, but they dont reach an audience like E3 does. And I will argue that the only reason E3 is as big as it is, is due to the press conferences.

Sony's out next year not because E3 is becoming irrelevant. It's because PS5 won't be out for another two holidays and they have little to show first party wise until the reveal happens, PS4 development is more or less done. They'll be back in 2020.

Of course the Publishers "make" E3 not the other way around

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Sony's out next year not because E3 is becoming irrelevant. It's because PS5 won't be out for another two holidays and they have little to show first party wise until the reveal happens, PS4 development is more or less done. They'll be back in 2020.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
It's been getting noticeably smaller over the years, it's a pretty tiny trade show, all things considered. More and more publishers are pulling out, the press conferences don't depend on the trade floor at all. It's obviously declining in relevance.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No Sony means its irrelevant. No one of else of importance holds an actual E3 conference.

Ubisoft is the last one to actually hold a conference at E3 on Monday or Tuesday, right?

Last edited:

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EA, Gamescom, The Game Awards, and a sprinkling of others shows are hugely relevant for the industry. If you're a AAA developer, you want your game revealed at one of those shows, preferably at the conference of either Microsoft or Sony due to the high concentration of viewers. It gets millions of eyeballs on your trailer, and the "big" nature of the combined news means it reaches people who might otherwise have never heard of your game.

E3 seems to be hugely important for MS in particular. Although I think they may be spreading out their announcements over E3/Gamescom/The Game Awards now.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Conferences have millions of views.

Playstation is taking more risk than E3 since next gen gate is around the corner.
Directs have millions of views too. You really don't need an E3 press conference to get eyes and headlines.

Next gen games won't be announced until new hardware is officially announced, and new hardware typically isn't revealed at E3 anyway. PS4 was revealed during a Sony event in February 2013. Xbox One during a Microsoft event in May 2013. Switch during a video posted to Nintendo's official YouTube channel in October 2016 (which has 38 million views). Sony poses no real risk for next gen by skipping E3 next year. They'll announce the PS5 during their own event, like they always do, and people will go nuts, like they always do.

Enrico25

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
People are seriously understimating E3's importance.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Well it primarily exists as a buyers show, right? So how long does retail have? A decade maybe?