Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
How long is your commute to work?

My new job is about an hour/hour 15 drive each way with traffic and everything (which is every day).

My old train ride at my old job was about 1:45 but I just slept mostly on the train.

Adjusting to a new job and not working from home every day has been a shell shock. The new job pays really well and is great experience, but I miss working from home and having more time not commuting.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
20 miles

pandemic traffic: 20 min
Regular traffic on a good day: 35 to 40 min
Regular traffic on a bad day: 45 to 50 min

Edit: That's one way not both

Last edited:

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
My job currently still has us working from home with the option (hah) to return to the office. Before that, my commutes were only a half-hour, both ways.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
35 minutes both ways. I'm so exhausted after work that I barely have any time for myself, maybe ~2 hours per day

Gray Matter

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
15 in the morning, 20 in the afternoon.

I work 6 am-2 pm so I have a lot of free time, so much that end up wasting most of it. I suck at being personally productive after I get off work then it Al piles up and I have a ton of errands to do in a short few hours.

Tbro777

Nov 24, 2017
I just moved a bit further away, went from about 20 minute drive each way to now about 35 minutes when i go to work to about 50 minutes going home. Can't wait for them to finish expanding the road so It'll be 35 minutes each way. I have to take a different route home due to congestion at an intersection during the time I go home.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'm up at 5:00 AM, out the door by 6:00 AM, at work by 7:00 AM. But I take things slow in the morning. My actual commute is about 30 minutes if I don't make any stops, but I always stop at a drive-thru somewhere (sometimes both ways). I am usually home by 5:00 PM and go to sleep at 9:00 PM or 10:00 PM. Those 4-5 hours at night are usually enough but when it gets dark so early it doesn't feel like nearly as much.

I could definitely wake up at 6:00 AM and and make it to work by 7:00 AM if I didn't lose so much time watching TikTok's in the shower.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Wake up 8:30am, leave at 9:15am for work which takes 45mins each way bad days, 30mins good days. I listen to Audiobooks on my car so I love the commutes.

Leave work 17:15h, I get home at around 18h and go to bed between 00:00 and 1:00 so that leaves me about 6h-7h for myself.

Oct 31, 2017
About an hour each way (when I go in; currently I'm working a hybrid schedule). My commute time IS my time for myself. I listen to music, audio books, call my folks, enjoy the scenery (most of the route goes through rural areas).

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
8 minute walk to train, 7 minute train ride,
7 minute walk to my office and I enjoy the first 8 minute walk quite a lot.

Same amount of time on the way home but that 8 minute has way more traffic so I don't enjoy it as much.

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017
Work from home currently, but in the before time the commute was 1 hour and 20 minutes each way. So much time wasted getting to an office just to sit in front of a computer all day.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully I am still remote 4 days a week (for now), but commute is 45min/1h each way, depending on traffic.
Not looking forward to resume more than that next year tbh.

Teh Radge

Oct 31, 2017
I'm working home during the pandemic, but go into the office voluntarily once a week. On those days its 35 minutes to get in, but I add 20 minutes to that to get some steps in (and also do some more during my lunch hour). Going home takes the same 35 minutes and I will be home between 5.35 and 6.05 depending on what time I leave work at.

Then, unless I have plans, my evening is mine! Bed time is usually between 11 and 12, maybe later if I dont have meetings first thing if I'm working from home.

ivantod

Oct 27, 2017
Located in Europe.

Pre-pandemic it used to be about 45-50 minutes door to door by train (I was working in a nearby town to the one where I live). But since early 2020 we've gone firmly into a work from home situation with no intention from management to reverse that so now I just walk downstairs from my bedroom lol. If I do have to go into the office every once in a while, it's about 30 minutes drive--I stopped buying my train pass since it's no longer financially viable when I go to the office so rarely, so I just drive.

It's nice, I can sleep a bit longer and still start earlier than I used to, and more free time in the evening is always good.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
30 minutes moving.

But I'd say reasonably about 45 minutes total.
15 there and back for the bus, about 5-10 minutes waiting for the bus.

Oct 27, 2017
Pre-pandemic my commute varied between 45 minutes to 1 hour 20 minutes. I took the NYC subway to various clients in Manhattan every day. By the end just before the pandemic, it was 1 hour 20 to and from work and I legit *hated* it.

Currently my job is 100% WFM based on another state so... yeah zero. I shower and walk to my desk in another room. I can't imagine a situation where I don't WFM again.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
10 seconds from my bed to the home office.

I was lucky to be working from home before the pandemic anyway, hope I never have to return to an office.

Oct 25, 2017
5:50am leave house
6:05 get on train
7:45/7:50 train entered Penn Station
8:00/8:15 enter office

I stopped this commute 2.5 years ago and have been so thankful.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Between an hour and a half to two hours, each direction.

I try to reserve an hour in the evenings for myself.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
About 30-50 minutes. Depends on if I go by train or car and how traffic is of course.
Though since the pandemic I mostly work from home. Just a couple of days per month are spent in the office.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If I had my own vehicle (working on that), my commute can be anywhere from 7 to 20 minutes (I'm a supply EA). Since I don't always have someone to drive me to and from, we're looking at 30-50min bus rides. Durham Transit sucks ass.

I try to have at least 3hrs to myself a day which includes R&R + Workout/Cardio

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
15 minutes each week. The housing market where I live is a wreck so it'll most likely increase to an hour.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
10-15min by bike, basically through a park and one street. living the dream.

i know i'd get seriously depressed if just commuting to work took a big chunk of my day, though i guess it could be relaxing too if you are on a train listening to podcasts etc. before smartphones it was probably pure hell.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
10 minutes to get to the metro station, 45 minutes on the metro, 5 minute walk to the office

barely going into the office these days as makes time zones difficult to navigate

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Previous job was about 45 minutes to an hour depending on traffic. I would leave at 7am to be there by 8, and home between 4:30-5pm. When my wife quit her job last year due to the pandemic and pregnancy, I was getting to work at 6am and getting home by 3pm. With that, I had more time to do stuff and was able to break out of a routine.

Current job is 100% WFH and has been one of the greatest QoL experiences I've had, especially seeing my daughter everyday since she was born back in May. I have a lot more time to myself/family, and time I would normally waste at work is utilized in better ways. If I had to go to the office it would be over a hour since I recently moved.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
15 min drive

That said I only work in the office 5 of every 10 working days

I get a few hours an evening. Less lately as I've been doing the work of 2 people since September

GUArutha

Apr 25, 2018
35 minutes with public transport. 35 minutes by bicycle. So i go with my bicycle during spring, summer and autumn (more or less april - november) and by public transport in winter.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
when WFH: 0
When going into the office: 15 minute bikeride. I wake up around 08:00; I leave around 8:30-ish and try to be back home before 18:00. I try to be asleep before 01:00 so I try to be in bed around midnight, I usually do some reading to try to fall asleep. So generally, 18:00-00:00 is 'personal time' (6 hours).

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
25 minute drive and I work from 9-5 so Idk. I used to work retail so I'm not sure it's better tbh but I guess I'm moving up...

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
10-15 minutes each way. Live pretty close, length depends on the citys traffic that day. The biggest time consumption is having to wake up earlier and get ready to go to the office, which overall adds way more to the day than when I worked from home, as well as when work is slow I can't just do other things in the office (other than Era lul).

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
About 90 mins (give or take) each way.

It's a fucking drag.

By the time I get home and have dinner I only have a couple of hours to myself, but because of how tired I am I typically just watch a show or a film (as long as it's not over 2 hours...)

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Was about 90 mins via car-->train--walking before the pandemic.
Currently 0 with WFH but we moved offices a few weeks ago that is right off the train so the time will be cut by about 30mins.

Management is dying for us to come back, but also scared to impose anything as we are so short staffed and they cannot afford anyone else to quit.

wackotic

Aug 14, 2018
40 min door-to-door by public transport. 30 min by bike. I really enjoy my commute with a bike but I will have to deal with other options due to winter.

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
I moved so its now about a 35 minute commute. I get up, go the Y at about 5:20, get home and get the kids up. Feed them breakfast, take a shower then I am out the door. Theres hardly any down time.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I work from home so zero commute.

I decided last year to do 4x10 hour days to give myself a three-day weekend. I'd say after eating and working out I have maybe 4-5 hours per night Mon-Thurs that's total free time.

That wide-open three day weekend is magic, though. If I can get my work done early on Thursday I have literally half the whole week before I do anymore work.

I've been WFH for about a decade now and the thought of ever having to spend 2-3 hours per day commuting again makes me feel ill. So glad so many of my friends have escaped that life or gone flexi so they only go in when they want.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I'm still WFH four days a week. I have to go to the office on Thursdays, which is ~15 min drive in the morning and 15-25 min in the afternoon, depending on when I leave the office. It is currently worse than usual because of a major road construction project on my route home that has been going for six months and is expected to last at least another year. =[

When we moved to our current neighborhood, my office was a 20-25 min walk, which was AWESOME. Four months after we moved, my company moved to another office that was no longer walkable. So that sucks.

I usually knock off work around 4 and go to bed around 10-11, so I have a fair amount of personal time most evenings.