• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
All of mine actually.

NEO The World Ends With You is a dream sequel and I can't believe they pulled off translating the gameplay of the first game to 3D. Solid game overall, just not as replayable as the original due to pacing and more apparent repetitiveness in addition to things just naturally taking longer in a 3D space compared to a small DS screen.

Tears of the Kingdom for all its technical achievements, I just didn't enjoy what the game was asking me to do overall outside of some sporadic bright spots.

I don't see Pokemon Gen 3 as a sequel the way Gen 2 is a direct follow-up to Gen 1, but either way Sapphire was one of those early childhood letdowns to where I didn't even how to explain what I feeling. I played the crap out of it because it was Pokemon, but moment to moment I was just going through the motions. Like ORAS tho.

Ace Attorney Justice for All. Mostly solid cases, just didn't hit the consistent highs of the original for me.

Hades II, would love to comment, but I haven't been invited to the technical test. Throw me bone Supergiant. I promise to say nice things.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
FFX is my favourite game of all time. The sequel I initially didn't like due to the story and requirement to get true ending however its grown on me lots, the gameplay is top notch, possibly the best atb style battle system. I even ended up getting into the mew blitzball management sim. I still want a standalone blitzball sports game

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
Mass Effect 2: Best game ever made.
BG3 (Okay maybe it's not direct sequel but in my top 5)

That's all.

Oct 25, 2017
Outer Wilds (no)
Bloodborne (no)
Returnal (no)
Majora's Mask (many sequels though nothing in that style)
RE4 Remake (the OG has RE5)

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Persona 5 Strikers: It's great! I had a great time playing it and wanted to buy a van afterward!

Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain: It's also great! I spent a TON of time approaching missions multiple ways and collecting uh… people… for my base.

Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom: An all-timer! Every time I got on one of those bird flying contraptions, I felt like a kid playing their first big game again.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
None. Arguably some vague lore connections but no direct sequels.

Demon's Souls
Dark Souls
Dark Souls II
Dark Souls III
Elden Ring

Last edited:

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
I feel like you missed a pretty easy layup here.
Ah sorry. I am pretty sick right now and I can't read properly haha.

Death Stranding and Cyberpunk 2077 are gonna get sequels.

God of War has Ragnarok which I think is a major step down in story. But improved gameplay.

Mass Effect 2 has Mass Effect 3 which I love unlike most of the people.

And sadly Disco Elysium won't get a sequel.

Oct 28, 2017
1. Final Fantasy 6 - no direct sequel and I am glad after what happened to FF4
2. Link to the Past - a direct sequel in Link Between Worlds. Is a pretty good game, I don't like some parts but is my third favorite 2D Zelda (behind LTTP and Awakening)
3. Counter Strike 1.6 - Source sucked. GO was decent. I haven't played 2 enough to have an opinion
4. Chrono Trigger - I am very meh on that sequel isn't at all what I wanted
5. SOTN - No direct sequel but the GBA and DS games made me happy

The Quentulated Mox

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 10, 2022
Shadow of the Colossus — no
Majora's Mask — yes (?) i like them! they're a big part of my love of games! MM is just better
Metal Gear Solid — yes. i like them! they're a big part of my love of games! MGS is just better
Hitman the new Hitman games — not anymore that they're all basically one big game
Bloodborne — 😭😭😭

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Most of my top 5 are sequels. But yeah many of them have gotten sequels as well, some bad some, good.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
1. MM - no direct sequel
2. OOT - see above lol
3. Melee - don't consider Brawl a direct sequel
4. SM64 - doesn't have a direct sequel which is a damn shame. Super Mario 128 on the Switch 2 pls
5. BK - Tooie is great! But it's no BK.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
I only have a Top 2, so I'll construct my Top 5 on the fly, might as well:

1. Deus Ex - YES - Has a sequel in Invisible War, which was terrible compared to the original, but I maintain it's a quite interesting and unique game on its own.

2. Dark Souls - YES - Has a sequel in Dark Souls II, which was... different compared to the original, but I maintain it's a quite interesting and unique game on its own.

3. Thief: The Dark Project - YES - Has an excellent sequel in Thief II: The Metal Age, which most people consider to be the better game. As for me, I can't get over the original's atmosphere. They're both very close though.

4. Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire - NO - Does not have a sequel. There's Avowed, but I guess it's going to be a while (if ever) before we see a third Pillars of Eternity. :(

5. Kentucky Route Zero - NO - Will never have a sequel, I think. I don't even know if there will be a follow-up by the developers. Doesn't need one either.

Exist 2 Inspire

Powered by Friendship™
Apr 19, 2018
Germany
1. Deus Ex (Invisible War is pretty meh)
2. FF7 (i guess Remake counts? Love it!)
3. SMW (Yoshi's Island is great)
4. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Loved Mankind Divided)
5. Super Metroid (not the biggest fan of Fusion but it's alright)

1. Deus Ex - YES - Has a sequel in Invisible War, which was terrible compared to the original, but I maintain it's a quite interesting and unique game on its own.

Cheers!

sephghast

Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear Solid 2 isn't what I expected but I still adore that game. Weirdly prophetic as well.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
my favorite game of all time is Akumajou Dracula X: Chi no Rondo (Castlevania: Rondo of Blood)

its direct sequel is Akumajou Dracula X: Gekka no Yasoukyoku (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night)

I majorly prefer Rondo but i think Symphony of the Night may be a tad more popular..

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
1. Bayonetta
I like Bayonetta 2 quite a bit despite all of its many many many issues.
2. Final Fantasy X-2
No more games but it did get a terrible audio drama sequel and an even worse novel, so
3. Persona 3 Reload
Doesn't have one, nor should it.
4. Sonic Adventure
See below
5. Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Heroes is one of the games of all time.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Top 5 probably changes on any given day but just going off some of the games I love:

Super Metroid - Yes it has a sequel with Fusion. I don't like it as much, but it's difficult to beat perfection. Still a great game.
F-Zero GX - No, it doesn't have a sequel.
Xenoblade Chronicles X - No, it doesn't have a sequel at this time, but I like to hope that they'll make one.
Final Fantasy IX - It doesn't have a sequel and it doesn't need one.
Pokemon Heart Gold - I don't know if the gen 3 remakes are considered sequels to it, if they are then I absolutely hated them.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Super Mario 3 -> Super Mario World
---I honestly think it's just as good if not better in some regards. I love it nearly as much as 3.

RDR1 -> RDR2
---See the above comment

Morrowind -> Oblivion.
--- I don't love it nearly as much, but Oblivion was a lot of fun and the Brotherhood is still my favorite questline in the series. I also think Oblivion has the best ambient soundtrack in the series. I would play a remaster very very very quick. Skingrad for life.

The other two do not have direct sequels and both happen to also be live service games so that's unlikely to happen (World of Warcraft and Minecraft).

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
X-COM: UFO Defense - yes - Terror from the Deep isn't very good, IMO
DOOM (1993) - yes - DOOM II is just as good if not better, IMO
R-TYPE - yes - R-TYPE II isn't as good, but its good
Thunderforce III - yes - Thunderforce IV is one of the best shooters of all time
Super Castlevania IV - no direct sequels but later games do use enemies from SCIV

Oct 27, 2017
Mario 3 - yes - Mario World is a great game, but I prefer Mario 3
Doom - yes - I still think Doom 1 is the best game in the franchise (if we're excluding mods). Doom 2 has some terrible levels that you have to slog through.
F-Zero GX - no
Control - nothing yet
RollerCoaster Tycoon - yes - RCT2 is just an improved version, so no complaints here. RCT3 isn't great though. OpenRCT2 is one of the greatest of all time if it counts.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Of the top of my head, in no particular order, also couldn't limit it to 5 (I'm sure I missed something still)...

Metal Gear Solid (don't consider it to be the best in the series, but my favourite and the one that means the most to me) - Yes
Bloodborne (peak Fromsoft game for me still, just clicked with how I like to play action games) - No
Last of Us 2 (improved on the original in every way for me, amazing action/stealth gameplay) - No
Half-Life (still prefer it to the sequel, fighting the marines is just a joy) - Yes
Journey (loved this, truly a unique experience) - No
Gran Turismo 3 (similar to MGS, not the best one but again my entry into the series and the one I have the most fondness for) - Yes
Portal (while the sequel expanded on it, I prefer the puzzles and the more focused experience of the original) - Yes
What Remains of Edith Finch (amazing story telling and a experience I won't forget) - No

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Silent Hill 2 doesn't have a direct sequel thankfully but I do love SH3 as a direct sequel to SH1.

Shin Megami Tensei IV has Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse. It was a huge disappointment to me. Combat was better and they made a lot of balance improvements but the story/writing was such a huge step down.

Final Fantasy VII has... stuff... it was bad. Newer stuff is good if we count it.

Nier... I guess doesn't have a direct sequel, but Automata is amazing.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles... has three different direct sequels. You've got Sonic Adventure which is a weird game that may not have aged perfectly but I still love. You've got Sonic 4 which is fucking terrible. And you've got Sonic Mania which is my second favorite in the series. So a mixed bag overall, I guess.

Twohearts

Feb 8, 2024
Straya
Undertale doesn't have a direct sequel as far as we know
Zoo Tycoon 2 - No
Apollo Justice - Yes
Earthbound - No
One Night, Hot Springs - Yes

Rob's Zombie

Sep 28, 2022
Manchester, UK
Doom Eternal - Trumps Doom 2016 in everyway, I also love how the DLC double downs on everything that makes Eternal great.

The Last Of Us Part II - As with above, so much better than the original. An insane generational leap in fidelity and animation. Great gameplay and encounters, twice the length, a story that hits harder than the original game and flips expectations.

Thief II: The Metal Age - I like it just as much as The Dark Project, a great continuation in story, gameplay and level design.

Resident Evil 2 Remake & RE 3 Remake - sadly RE3 feels like an add-on DLC compared to 2.

MGS3 & 4 - Hated how bloated the cutscenes were in 4 and that the gameplay wasn't really all that much. 3 had a crazy amount of cutscenes but also memorable boss encounters and good gameplay.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Crash 2- Crash 3 isn't bad per se, but it's a game of 'throw an idea at the wall and see what sticks' where you occasionally get to play as Crash Bandicoot.
Sonic 2- Sonic 3 just kinda sucks.
Jak II- Jak 3 is fun, but it doubles down on every problem of Jak II except difficulty, which is turned way down.
TimeSplitters- TS2 is in my top 10, so no complaints there, even if I think it's the weakest of the trilogy.
Streets of Rage- Never been a fan of SoR 2. The soundtrack is great, but I don't particularly enjoy playing it, and it's way too easy.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
RE4 (original) - has a direct sequel, loved it

RE4 (remake) - has no direct sequel, but very excited for REmake5.

Super Mario World - has Yoshi's Island, and of course, I feel wonderfully about it.

Banjo-Kazooie - has a direct sequel, and I think it's...pretty bad, it has great humor and art and design and pretty much everything except the worlds are too fucking big. It's a game that worked in the early 3D era, when we were still wowed by sheer vast 3D worlds that we could just run around in, but it's too convoluted and big today. Still better than DK64 which was like "What if we took everything bad about every 3D game we've ever made, and put it in one game?"

Dark Souls Remastered - has Dark Souls 2: SOTFS and these two are my favorite of the Soulsborne franchise. 2 is an interesting beast, it's the only game that I would simultaneously rank a 10/10 and a 7/10.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
Arriving at five games is hard:

Bloodborne: no sequel, but I would love to return to that setting.
Resident Evil 4: despite being my favorite couch co-op game ever, RE5 is messy and problematic. It also benched my favorite character in the franchise, Jill. So eh
Planescape Torment: no sequel, that kickstarter thing was definitely not a sequel.
Enchanter (Infocom): the sequel is fine, but the third game in the trilogy is better.
Persona 3: No sequel, which is good. I actually don't think The Answer is good and wish the game stopped where it stopped.

Honorable Mention: no sequel for Final Fantasy VI and I'd prefer not to do the "sequel, not a remake" experience with it, since that comes up around here

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Castlevania Symphony of the Night has kinda sequels. All the games that happen after take place in different points in the timeline and there's games that share the same gameplay loop as SotN.

Myth 2 has a sequel it's not great, Take Two fucked it hard.

Super Mario 3 has spiritual successors.

Super Metroid has sequels.

Starsiege Tribes has a sequel that's amazing.

Risitas

May 13, 2022
If we're talking about direct sequels (following the story of the previous game)
I'd say at least 2 games in my top 5/10/15
Ocarina of Time -> Majora's Mask (also in my top)
MGS 2 -> MGS 4 (9/10 but weaker than MGS2 outside of graphics and animations)

Then there are games that don't currently have a direct sequel but things can change (The Witcher 3)

inkblot

Mar 27, 2024
A bit of a mixed bag, but trending towards good iterations!

✅ Super Mario Galaxy ... Super Mario Galaxy 2 (fantastic)
✅ Banjo-Kazooie ... Banjo-Tooie (worth a sequel, but it's alright)
✅ Tears of the Kingdom ... BotW (I'm counting prequels lol, incredible)
✅ Life is Strange ... Life is Strange 2 (a shadow of it's predecessor)
❌ Bloodborne ... (no literal sequel, even though every Souls game feels sequel-ish, Bloodborne still hasn't been topped imo)

Also huge shoutout to the Portal games, where I think Portal 2 is better in almost every way.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Bloodborne : I WISH
Vagrant Story : any day now... any day...
Bushido blade : the sequel never released here in France, so no idea!
Soulcalibur : every Soulcalibur is good, I love them all equally. I love III more equally than the others tho.
Resident Evil 4 : 5 was mediocre, 6 was weird, 7 was kinda good, 8 was trash, Remaster 2 is stellar, Remaster 3 is decent, Remake 4 is godlike.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill 2 - No direct sequel and the series drove off a cliff after 3. But we are getting a remake that I have absolutely zero confidence in. Yay!

Morrowind - No direct sequel. The next two entries, while very good-to-great, unfortunately drained much of Morrowind's depth from the series.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Narratively RDR1 serves as a direct sequel despite the release order. Great game, especially for 2010 standards.

Bloodborne - No direct sequel and doesn't need one.

Deus Ex - Invisible War is closer to an FPS Narrative Adventure than a true-blue ImSim like the original. It's no classic but I enjoyed it for what it was. There are a couple of potentially bonkers moments depending on your choices.

KraytarJ

Nov 14, 2017
1. Fallout: New Vegas - everything after is much worse
2. Xenoblade Chronicles - I love every game in the series even if they never returned to the heights of the original
3. Persona 5 Royal - still no P6, if you want to count strikers then its kinda whatever even as someone who really likes Musou games
4. Persona 4 Golden - haven't played Arena if that counts
5. Wind Waker - the DS games aren't great

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Most of my top 5 either have direct sequels or are themselves direct sequels. Sometimes they've even managed to knock their predecessors out of my top 5, like Tears of the Kingdom did with Breath of the Wild. I've played a few games I consider to be better or more important to me than Breath of the Wild, but Tears of the Kingdom tops them all, partly because it is a direct sequel to BoTW.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
1. BG3 - no sequels yet
2. Elden Ring - no sequels yet
3. Hollow Knight - lol
4. TLOU2 - no sequels yet
5. BOTW - TOTK

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
1. Outer Wilds - No, but did receive an excellent DLC expansion. I would not want a direct sequel.
2. Breath of the Wild - yes, and I don't like it anywhere near as much. TotK is a great game in a vacuum, but a poor sequel imo.
3. Shadow of the Colossus - No.
4. Metroid Prime - Yes. I like 2 & 3, but Prime 1 remains the best by a pretty wide margin.
5. The Last of Us - Yes. I'm very mixed on Part II. I love the gameplay, but it doesn't come together story wise for me. I've played the game 3 times now though, and have come to appreciate certain things more and more each time. These locations and setpieces are generally incredible.

Edit: whoops, I'd typed more...not sure what happened here. Re-added details.

Last edited:

brain_

What is a tag? A miserable pile of words.
May 13, 2021
MO
1. Final Fantasy 7
2. Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
giphy.gif

3. Elden Ring - None yet, I'd be surprised if it doesn't happen
4. The Last of Us - Yep, and it's just as amazing of a game
5. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Is a sequel, has 4 as a sequel, and Peace Walker and 5 as a direct sequel!

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
Ghouls 'n Ghosts -> Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts: SGnG is a good game with great presentation but it's too slow and dragged out compared to the first two entries.
The Ninja Warriors Again -> The Ninja Warriors Once Again: no sequel, but it does have an expanded remake which is great in its own right but not as good due to its loosened balance.
Final Fight -> Final Fight 2: FF2 stinks and captures very little of what made the original good. FF1's successors were really the other Capcom arcade beat-em-ups.
God Hand: no sequel
Ninja Gaiden II (360) -> Ninja Gaiden 3: I haven't played NG3 yet and definitely need to sometime.

Raskol

Sep 5, 2018
1. FF7 Rebirth - We know it's coming.
2. Xenogears - Nope
3. FF7 - I would consider Remake a sequel. It was pretty good.
4. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - Oblivion. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with it.
5. Bloodborne - Nope

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
La-Mulana 1 -> 2: Direct sequel with different main character, kinda like Resident Evil. Like LM2 a lot actually but doesn't really touch the first one.

Xenogears: No direct sequel, unless there's sone kind of weird inter dimensional connection with other Xeno games via wave existence.

Final Fantasy IX: No sequel. Not really interested in one tbh.

Resident Evil 2: Yeah, lots of direct sequels and remakes. Still onboard with the series even though i'm a lost child of the classic games.

Trails to Azure: Yeah, it's game 5 of atleast 13. I'm glad with the idea of something like Trails existing despite how terrible it feels for Falcom business wise.

Jan 23, 2022
Myst: Yea Riven is one of the best sequels of all time imo. I might even put Riven above Myst soon

Star Wars Empire at War: Never got a sequel

Star Wars Jedi Academy: Never got a sequel although it is itself a sequel to a great game, Jedi Outcast

Knights of the Old Republic 2: Itself a sequel to a great game. I guess technically SWTOR is the sequel. I don't like the MMO.

Baldur's Gate 2: I don't like BG3 more than 2. I think 2 is better.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
Dark Souls- Two pretty good sequels. I'll be fine even if there are no direct sequels in the future because the essence of it lives on

Bloodborne - cry myself to sleep

Sekiro - cry myself to sleep

Street Fighter 3 3rd - SF will last as long as fighting games do, so I'm not concerned. Even if a weak entry emerges, they will get it right the next time

A tie between Into the Breach and XCOM 2 - I hold the same attitude towards Dark Souls, that even if they don't have direct sequels, their essence will surely be shown in other similar games. But srsly I need a new XCOM

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
  1. Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth - not yet, guaranteed to get one though.
  2. Yakuza 0 - it's a prequel so I guess if you count the whole series (or at least the Kiwamis) as its sequels.
  3. Pokemon Emerald - nope, I wouldn't call the other Pokemon games sequels so unfortunately no. I desperately want another Hoenn based game though.
  4. Fire Emblem Three Houses - Nope, Three Hopes is a different timeline and Engage is just no.
  5. Persona 5 - Yes, Strikers is a sequel and a great one at that.
  6. Pokemon Black 2/White 2 - they are the sequels.. I do hope we get B3W3 one day though..

Buttlet

Jun 21, 2022
Disco Elysium, never getting one.
The Witcher 3, if you count the DLCs, they're amazing, otherwise I'll have to report back in 10 years.
Dragon Age: Origins, I liked DAII for what it was, have issues with Inquisition.
Metal Gear Solid, adore every mainline entry.
Persona 4: Golden, I love P5, haven't played Royal yet.