Which digital 'media subscriptions' do you currently have active?

• Television & film (Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO, etc.)

Votes: 1,115 78.4%
  • Game subscription service (Game Pass, EA Access, PS Now, etc.)

Votes: 534 37.6%
  • Music streaming (Spotify, Apple Music, Deezer, etc.)

Votes: 729 51.3%
  • Gaming infrastructure (PS+, Xbox Live, Nintendo Online, etc.)

Votes: 1,041 73.2%
  • Online media video content (Twitch sub, Patreon, Giant Bomb, etc.)

Votes: 330 23.2%
  • Other (Digital newspapers, digital magazines, Apple News+, paid newspapers, etc.)

Votes: 170 12.0%
  • None

Votes: 98 6.9%

• Total voters

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
I don't watch Netflix that much, but my kid loves it.

This is an often ignored selling point of Netflix, but it is massive.

At wild have cancelled Netflix years ago and subscribed sporadically, but my kids use it a lot. They wake up much earlier than us and are allowed to watch a couple of programs. Netflix means we don't get woken up, and it is super convenient for them to use. I wouldn't trust them with anything disk based as it might end up scratched etc.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Hmm was going to say 3 (Netflix, PS+, and Apple Music), but I guess it's 4 when including Amazon Prime. 4 is actually one more than I'd like.

Nov 28, 2017
- Netflix and HBO GO (€10 and €5 per month)
- NFL GamePass (€200 annually)
- Deezer (€5 monthly)
- Washington Post ($60 annually)
- Scribd ($10 monthly)
- PS+ ($40 annually)

I also subscribe to several record labels on Bandcamp:
- Ripple ($5 monthly)
- Naturmacht (€5 monthly)
- Prophecy (€30 annually)
- Fuzzy Cracklins ($5 monthly)

I am very happy with all my subscriptions, wouldn't give any up.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
You really want to own every single game you play, though?
Yes I do. I want to be able to play the games I want when I want. I've never enjoyed renting stuff.
I jump between games all the time, old and new. I don't have this compulsion that I have to finish every game I start. I play them for as long as I want to and then I put them down and move on to what else I want to play.

Just this last week I've been playing Dragon Quest 9 on the DS, Phantasy Star Portable 2 on the PSP, some Super Mario World on the SNES and Dragon Quest Heroes on the PS4 to name but a few.
And I love the fact that if I wanted to play some Mega Man 2 on the Gameboy I can do that right now, because I own the cart and the gameboy.
It's not been removed from some subscription service because of reasons outside my control.
As long as I own the console and the cart I can play it.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
  1. Ps plus
  2. Hbo go, netflix
  3. Gamepass on pc
  4. Youtube premium (upgraded from google music)
In general, I'm subbed to almost everything OP has listed. Wish there was one sub that covers all my need, but that's not going to happen.

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
All monthly:

Sling Blue (+free beta DVR) - $25
Hulu (no ads) - $12
Google Music - $8
PSN - $5
Prime - $10
Switch Online (free through Amazon) - $0

So, monthly I'm out $60. My gf pays for Netflix and Costco.

I feel good about my monthly subscriptions. My work pays for gigabit internet, and for all this I don't even pay half as much as cable. I could be wasting much more money, for sure.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
- Netflix
- Amazon Prime
- Game Pass for PC
- Spotify
- Nintendo Online
- Twitch Prime subs
- A couple of Patreons

Also share our Netflix account with family members and get HBO Now, Hulu, and Starz in return.

actthafool

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently subbed to

PS+
Netflix
Spotify
Now TV

I use all of them regularly but I rarely bother with the free games on plus. I really wish Sony would drop the sub for online or at least offer a cheap bare bones subscription for online play and save backups.

The only other service I'd consider subbing to is F1TV but that's not available in the UK due to SKY exclusivity.

LuuKyK

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
1. PS+
2. Spotify
3. Netflix
4. HBO Go

I consider that a lot but I am satisfied with the amount of content they provide so yeah...

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just pay for Netflix. I don't remember how much that costs per month right now. $11ish?

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Netflix, Hulu and Nintendo Switch Online are all I have atm. I've got an Xbox but haven't resubbed to any of their plans as of yet, and prob won't for a while.

So about $20 a month and then the $20 for NSO per year. I'm fine with that but the NSO value so far has been... uh... lacking.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
The sevices that I use the most, and frankly gives me the best, multi faceted value.

Netflix (have my siblings using the other 4 accounts you get, so we split the cost and cheaper for all of us)

Spotify ( use this daily for workouts, work and driving)

Amazon prime (my own family uses the video service, I use that and prime shipping, sale discounts and other prime benefits)

PSN+ (only buy 12 and 15 month subs when on sale cuts the cost right down. Saved tons through ps+ exclusive sales, play coop games with others, played and completed a LOT PS plus games the last year which saved me a lot of money as well)

I do not have room for much more, in fact with these services I pay for and budgeted for years, it'll be the Disney+ which will the only other service I'll reckon I'll pay for.

Even as someone who is favourable toward playstation, I'll only ever sub to ps now if one of the tiers is linked to ps+. Until then no point.

Last edited:

Birdseeding

Mar 13, 2018
What about utility software subs? I ask because I spend about $10 a month on Google Drive and Microsoft Office, on top of Spotify and Nintendo Switch Online.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix (brother pays)
Amazon Prime ($120 a year/$10 a month) shares with brother
Hulu/Spotify/Showtime ($5 a month student deal)
YouTube TV ($50 a month split in half to $25; shared with brother)
HBO Go (Free with ATT Wireless Plan)

PS Plus (~$40 a year/wait for deals)
Nintendo Switch Family Plan ($35 a year shared amongst 8 people for $4.40 a year)
Google Storage ($1.99 a month)
iCloud Storage ($0.99 a month)

Think that's about $52 a month all together.

Oct 31, 2017
Netflix $30
Amazon prime
YouTube live ( free with samsung s10)

Pay for Direct TV with all movie package so apps are included.
I think I linked my switch online to prime. Not sure.

Nov 6, 2017
At the moment I have 2 subs:
Xbox Game Pass Ultimate (includes Xbox Gold): ~2€ / month for the next 3 years
Amazon Prime: ~1,5€ / month (shared with 3 people who just need prime shipping)

Not paying for PS+, Nintendo online, any music or online service.

All in all I don't pay much and I am not really interested in more subs or paying more.
Amazon Prime Video is a nice bonus. I order a lot of physical products (so Prime shipping is more than worth the money for me) and access to movies / tv series is a nice thing now and then when I have the time for that.

In the console space I would normally just pay for Xbox gold (shared with my wife) to play online / together, get better discounts when buying digital and I like the 360 games you get 'forever'. When GP Ultimate was just 1 buck for 3 years it was nice addition, but no way I am paying 10+ every month for game rentals.

Yushi

Nov 27, 2017
- Netflix
- FF14
- WoW (for classic)
- Amazon Prime (for twitch prime)
- Currently PS+ ungoing (ending soon, will not renew yet)
- Nintendo ungoing (free from twitch)

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Exploited the Game Pass deal so I've got Ultimate until Jan 2021 for £52.
Netflix 4K £9 a month
Boomerang rentals £17.99 a month (for 3 games at a time)

Haven't got Switch Online or PS+ active at the moment as there's nothing I want to play online.

General monthly expenditure on media subs is about £30.

Volkama

Oct 30, 2017
PS Plus, Netflix and Apple Music.
I share Netflix and Apple Music with my family so we split the cost. I always buy PS Plus for a year during sales. So in the end it's about $50 a year for everything.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I do pay monthly for Netflix, Spotify and Boomerang Rentals.

Out of the subscriptions that I pay longer-term (arranged in order of expiry):
Humble Monthly (subscribed until November of this year)
1password (subscribed until April 2020)
PS+ (renewed until July 2020)
Backblaze (subscribed until October 2020)
Nintendo Switch Online (thanks to a combination of the Twitch Prime promo and Super Mario Maker 2, I've got a subscription until December 2021)
Xbox Games Pass Ultimate (thanks to abusing the initial conversion, I've got a subscription until June 2022)

Now that I've listed them out, I probably should cut down. :v I'm probably not going to renew Humble Monthly, since I think the quality of the games has declined in recent months. Likewise, PS+ was only renewed because I found a cheap code, and I suspect I won't be making a lot of use out of it. Everything else is either stuff I'm happy paying full price for (I'll happily recommend both Backblaze and 1password all day any day) and stuff I've got literally multiple years of subscription left before I have to pay again.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Netflix, Giant Bomb, PS Vue, Psplus, and Spotify have me covered in entertainment every month plus I buy 4K BRs still and have a backlog of those to catch up on with gaming in between from all generations. I'm good.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Netflix for the shows and Youtube Premium, since that is what I consume the most and that way I can support the channels I like without having to see ads.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Literally only Nintendo Switch Online, I don't even sub to Adobe Creative Cloud anymore since it's provided through my school. I still consume all the media I need through... other means.

So, $20/year. Where subscriptions are concerned, I'll do everything I can to avoid them.

Caesar III

Jan 3, 2018
Me and my GF together:

Playstation Plus - 40€/year - prebought until sometime in 2021
Amazon Prime - 80€/year
Gamepass Ultimate - bought when announced until June 2022 at ~ 130€
Nintendo Online - 30€/year (2.5€/month)
EA Origin Access Premiere - 99€/year (~ 8.30€/month)
Office 365 - 60€/year (5€/month)
Netflix Medium - 12€/month
Readly - 10€/month
Spotify (mine) - 10€/month
Spotify (GF) - 3€/month (shared via family account)
Skoobe - 15€/month
Audible - 10€/month
Rocketbeans.tv - 5€/month

Polymatter has a nice video on the topic

Last edited:

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
Subscribed to game pass ultimate, netflix, prime, prime music, hulu.
Thats alot of entertainment for under 60 bucks a month.

I did subscribe to a single month of HBO this month, to beinge 8 seasons of game of thrones.

Overall i know im saving tons, compared to buying CDs, Games, and my old cable bill.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
I have Funimation and Nintendo Online. So about $100 CAD a year, or $8.33 dollors a month if payments were monthly. My sister has Netflix which she lets me use.

I used to subscribe to Crunchyroll, but I dropped it after they started getting money hungry (ie. video quality drop and employee layoffs).

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I have more than I thought I did, and I don't know how I feel about that.

-Netflix
-Amazon Video (via Prime, I guess)
-Youtube Premium
-HBO/Crave
-Nintendo Online
-Xbox Live/Game Pass/Ultimate paid up until 2021 sometime
-PS+
-Giant Bomb Premium

Of those, PS+ will definitely be lapsing when it comes up for renewal this year - I accidentally let it renew last year. I think I get my money's worth out of the rest, except maybe Nintendo's 'service.'

Jarlaxle

Oct 30, 2017
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Spotify - although I'm under my friend's family plan so don't pay there
Xbox Live
PS+
Nintendo Network
Gamepass

Most of these are a one time yearly fee so that's not too bad and Gamepass is just worth it and I'm all set there until next summer.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
My husband and I currently split:
  • Prime Video (12.99)
  • Hulu (11.99)
  • Netflix (15.99)
  • VRV (9.99)
  • Criterion Channel (10.99)
  • FunimationNOW (8.33)
  • Spotify Family (14.99)
  • Youtube Premium (9.99)
  • Shonen Jump Online (2.99)
  • Humble Monthly (8.33)
  • Discord Nitro (9.99)
  • Final Fantasy XI + Mog Wardrobe (15.95)
  • Final Fantasy XIV x2 (25.98)
Grand total is $158.50 a month. Still less than paying for cable for much better content. I use all of these regularly and am pretty satisfied.

Last edited:

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Man, let's see/.

Xbox Live Ultiamte
PS+
Netflix
Amazon Prime (though I'll be cancelling at the end of this pay cycle)
Google Music
Giant Bomb Premium
And I give a dollar to Maffew every month for botchamania.

It's more than i'd think.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just have Game Pass on the PC. Enough for me. That's the great thing with subscriptions is that I can cancel any time I want and try another service.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm...

Amazon Prime: $9.92
Spotify (incl. Hulu): $9.99
Netflix: $13
PS+: $3.33*
Xbox GP Ultimate: $5.00*
Nintendo Switch Online: $0 (incl. w/ Prime)
Humble Monthly: $8.25
YouTube TV: $8.33 (only subbing for two months this year for specific events, so ($49.99*2)/12)

Total per month: roughly $58 plus $70 for 200/200 internet ($128), so not as bad as I thought. I'll likely get Disney+ later this year for an additional $6. I'm pretty mindful of this stuff, and stop/start subs based on usage. Spotify might be the next to go since I tend to not listen to new music and seem to go back to just my most-played list, which I could just use my old iPod for tbh.

*based on last annual subscription payment

Oct 27, 2017
Too many...I have Spotify, Netflix 4K, Hulu Ad-Less, Amazon Prime, PS Plus, Easy Allies Patreon ($5), and Game Informer digital.

Spazgadget

Oct 25, 2017
This is a good thread.

Currently:
  • Apple Music (yearly)
  • Playstation Plus (I keep stacking this when there's deals, I think I'm covered till 2079 at this point)
  • Playstation Now (got a good yearly deal)
  • Netflix
  • Final Fantasy XIV with a couple extras (probably the most expensive one and the one I love the most!)

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Nintendo Switch Online - Reasonably priced, and I use it almost daily.
Google Play - Use it daily.
Sirius Radio - I just keep getting it for free, lol.

I believe my platinum EB Games membership has a Game Informer subscription included, too.