Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
New article out in the Times.
www.nytimes.com

How McKinsey Helped the Trump Administration Carry Out Its Immigration Policies (Published 2019)

Newly uncovered documents show the consulting giant helped ICE find “detention savings opportunities” — including measures the agency’s staff sometimes viewed as too harsh on immigrants.

Just days after he took office in 2017, President Trump set out to make good on his campaign pledge to halt illegal immigration. In a pair of executive orders, he ordered "all legally available resources" to be shifted to border detention facilities, and called for hiring 10,000 new immigration officers.
The logistical challenges were daunting, but as luck would have it, Immigration and Customs Enforcement already had a partner on its payroll: McKinsey & Company, an international consulting firm brought on under the Obama administration to help engineer an "organizational transformation" in the ICE division charged with deporting migrants who are in the United States unlawfully.

The New York Times reported last year that McKinsey ultimately did more than $20 million in consulting work for ICE, a commitment to one of the Trump administration's most controversial endeavors that raised concerns among some of McKinsey's employees and former partners. The firm's global managing partner, Kevin Sneader, assured them in a 2018 email that the firm had never focused on developing, advising or implementing immigration policies. He said McKinsey "will not, under any circumstances, engage in work, anywhere in the world, that advances or assists policies that are at odds with our values."

But the new documents and interviews reveal that the firm was deeply involved in crafting policies fundamental to the Trump administration's immigration crackdown. McKinsey's recommendations for spending cuts went too far for some career ICE employees, and a number of the proposals were never carried out.

To expedite the process in 2017, McKinsey proposed hiring en masse, including what the consultants called "super one-stop hiring": ICE could rent a gymnasium or similar space and compress the recruitment, screening and hiring process into a single day. The consultants, they wrote in a slide deck, aimed "to reduce time to hire by 30-50% (hundreds of days)" — significantly improving ICE's capability to staff the president's immigration crackdown.

McKinsey, the firm's presentations show, pursued "detention savings opportunities" in blunt ways. The consultants encouraged ICE to adopt a "longer-term strategy" with "operational decisions to fill low-cost beds before expensive beds." In practice, that meant shunting detainees to less expensive — and sometimes less safe — facilities, often rural county jails.
"There's a concerted effort to try to ship folks ICE sees as long-term detainees to these low-cost facilities run by local sheriffs' offices where conditions are abysmal," said Eunice Cho, a senior staff attorney at the American Civil Liberties Union who focuses on issues involving the detention of immigrants. The A.C.L.U. has brought several lawsuits against ICE, including over its detention policies, during the Trump administration.

McKinsey also looked to cut costs by lowering standards at ICE detention facilities, according to an internal ICE email and two former agency officials. McKinsey, an ICE supervisor wrote in an email dated March 30, 2017, was "looking for ways to cut or reduce standards because they are too costly," albeit, the supervisor added, "without sacrificing quality, safety and mission."

The McKinsey proposals that most troubled agency workers — like cutting spending on food, medical care and maintenance — were not incorporated into the new contracts, one former ICE official said. Internal project emails point to cutbacks in guard staffing as the source of most cost savings.

But the McKinsey recommendations remain on the books at ICE. The consultants analyzed how the agency could save money at detention centers beyond those where they helped renegotiate contracts — including several near the border, like ICE's largest family-detention facility, in Dilley, Texas — and Mr. Cox said these analyses remain reference points for future efforts to curb spending. A report issued this summer by the Department of Homeland Security's inspector general raised concerns about food quality and upkeep at several ICE facilities, both categories on which McKinsey recommended ICE spend less.

McKinsey are so evil that they made fucking ICE shudder.

related article:
Pete Buttigieg's Work At McKinsey Is A Secret
former McKinsey alumni Mayor Pete get the fuck out of the race ASAP please.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Detention savings opportunities are another way to get into the holiday spirit with great discounts on the human rights violations you love!

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
brought on under the Obama administration to help engineer an "organizational transformation" in the ICE division charged with deporting migrants who are in the United States unlawfully.

Thanks, Obama.
And don't tell me "Trump is using them wrong", those people are fucking ghouls and no one should bring them in for anything, especially not to make the deportation process better.
I have zero expectation from this administration, I hope the next democratic president doesn't tap to such shitty consulting firms because they are fucking bad people.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Well, (hopefully) that is one way to destroy your business...

Edit:

Lord knows I will be use any apt opportunity to let others know.

I came to be spiteful and instead have been inspired.

Good news for me, anything to take pete down as this stuff needs to start getting out. Sour the milk, boys.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
That's consultancy for you. Morals and ethics rarely get in the way of efficiency.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
These people 100% are the same types who made the concentration camps happen. Just evil and racist people in power with literally no human empathy whatsoever.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
These people 100% are the same types who made the concentration camps happen. Just evil and racist people in power with literally no human empathy whatsoever.
Not the same type, it's almost certainly the same exact people.
Look at McKinsey client list, they are working on concentration camps in other countries as well, and I'm pretty damn sure those EfFiCiEnCy ghouls reuse their slide decks if you know what I mean.

And the scary thing is that I'm gonna bet a lot of them aren't even racist, it's just business, just like IBM helping the Nazis was just business.

Oct 27, 2017
I can imagine the board room meetings with slide decks reducing mass human suffering to charts showing monetary savings and applause at the conclusion. And the workers going out afterwards for drinks.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Consultants are hired to increase cashflow and reduce costs. Morals has nothing to do with it. It's depressing as fuck, but the real controversy is the unchecked power they wield with their "analysis" to the highest bidder.