Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Toei series: I watched a few episodes back in the day, and my first exposure was the movie. Don't have much interest in it honestly but surprised it's never been made legally available in the US even though the manga has and is just if not more brutal.

Duel Monsters: Basically everything except the Millenium Arc (I just don't have any interest in it), though note unlike everything else primarily dubbed. I watched Duelist Kingdom subbed awhile back, and one day I'll finish it.

Oh I watched the movie in theaters and Capsule Monsters, but have yet to watch the Darkside of the Duel or whatever it's called. Maybe because I feel the promotion for that ruined Arc-V which I was enjoying lol.

GX: This hit right when I learned about subs and so I watched the first two seasons as they aired, which basically corresponded to my own High School experience which was cool. Dropped it in Season 3 when it got too dark, and didn't pick it up though I read summaries of what happened...a few years later I watched Season 4 and considered it one of the highlights of Yu-Gi-Oh honestly. Still need to watch the last half of Season 3, right now I'm halfway through Season 2 watching it on and off over the last couple of years.

I watched the first season of the dub and found it fun though TBH I found how gaggy it got distracting and kind of obnoxious. Anyway I haven't touched a dub since.

5Ds: First 52 episodes or so...HYPE. I mean it stumbles a bit during the Dark Signers, but probably Yugioh at its best. For some reason as a kid I was very aggressive in defending Season 2 on Janime.net back in the day but then I quickly realized it kind of lost the plot...potentially due to a cult as we later learned? I've only seen like ten episodes of the second season and have like almost 100 episodes left to watch, but from what I hear it's a ton of long, repetitive Duels.

Also I've yet to watch the big crossover film haha.

Zexal: Skipped over this when it was airing because it was aimed at newer fans, watched about 40 or so episodes of it awhile back and enjoyed it...it's definitely different from previous seasons with the lack of basically any classic cards or summoning methods, but was fun at the very least. For some reason everything else is subbed on Crunchyroll but this series, I had to use fansubs, and thus haven't had an easy way to try and pick things up. I've heard people say Zexal II gets good but I don't know if I'll ever get around to it.

Arc-V: I really enjoyed watching this show when it first aired, it had a fun plot that kept you guessing and entertaining characters. Though I usually let a couple months pass before catching up. I thought the Synchro Arc was actually really good, but it undoubtedly lasted so long it felt the show rushed through the Xyz and Fusion stuff after that...maybe the cast was working on the Darkside of the Duel? I have about 30 episodes left. Last episode I remember was this really ugly filler with a pirate captain, which seemed like a reference to the awkward GX episode with the pedophile submarine captain lol.

VRAINS: I remember watching the first few episodes and disliking it a lot. Just seemed to throw you into the plot without explaining anything. I've watched like 30 episodes or so over time, and just found it pretty unremarkable except for the kickass OP. Most people don't seem to have high opinions on it, perhaps because it introduced some controversial rules in the main game...those have since been reversed but I don't have much interest in finishing this.

Sevens: I've been watching this weekly since it aired and it's really fun...every Duel is only an episode so it has a quick pace, it has fun characters, and, well, it's a comfort show to enjoy at the end of every week. Hasn't quite hit the same high as the more "mature" series, but I really appreciate when kid shows actually seem to give a damn to atleast make you feel good even if the animation is pretty ho-hum. Reminds me the younger spin off of Digimon, Appmon, with the same vibe and surprising heart.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
everything up to and including 5D's

afterwards it's pretty scattershot, I try them, they suck, I stop watching

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I watched the original arc and the Battle City Arc and kinda lost it after that.

I did however watch the entirety of Abridged with my ex girlfriend and we enjoyed the fuck out of that lol. Just quoting shit and doing Joey's accent at each other, it was a great time. I think she had watched most of the anime so she would fill me in on plot points when I was incredulous at what was happening.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also I still think GX was like the wildest series they did...started out as basically Yugioh + Harry Potter (already a fun premise for a kid to imagine) and then got progressively bizarre as it went on.

I've been watching Utena recently and I definitely think the writers of GX took notes from that as quite a few plot points seem inspired...like the whole Abandoned Dorm stuff.

DrewyMcK

Nov 5, 2017
Watched all of Duel Monsters, then the first season of GX. They moved the show an hour earlier at that point, so I had to drop off after that.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
I watched it all when I bought Legacy of the Duelist on my Switch. I was kind of playing along with the duels as I saw them in the animes. I watched a mixture of dub and sub.

Duel Monsters: The OG, pretty great stuff. Things kinda fall apart towards the end but I enjoyed it. 9/10

GX: I forgot how juvenile the dub is, absolutely awful, but the decks are iconic. If only the story was better. 7/10

5Ds: As a kid getting older, this is where I stopped. I thought the duels on motorcycles thing was idiotic and I just stopped paying attention to yugioh for years until I picked up Legacy of the Duelist. Having now watched it, this is far and away the best series to me. Things were a bit more mature (at least in the sub), and there were plenty of fantastic duels. Jack Atlas is every bit Seto Kaiba's equal and one of the greatest yugioh characters there are. 10/10

Zexal: And this is at the opposite end, this show was painful for me to watch, and its all Yuma's fault. I hate that character with a passion, as well as his annoying friends. Astral was a cool character though and the ending was kind of good, so its not a complete dumpster fire. 4/10

Arc-V: An improvement. Yuya was an idiot too, but he was an endearing one. It was the story that grabbed my interest the most, the whole dimension thing was really cool. Until the end and that whole Zarc shit. 7/10

Vrains: A shorter lived series thats kind of odd to me. The character and plot is a bit more mature, but I didnt really connect with any of the characters. Maybe its because Playmaker is so aloof, which is unusual for a protagonist. But Ai and the rest of the ignis were really cool, Windy was the best. 6/10

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I only really watched Duelist Kingdom, and I don't remember why. It was on at a time I was watching TV I guess. It was kind of terrible, but funny because of how much it butchered the implementation of the actual card game.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen most of the original, and enjoyed it for the most part.

Also watched maybe a dozen or so GX episodes, but could not bring myself to watch more. I've heard it gets good later, but it's just too much of a waste of time. Such a boring show.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
All the series up to and through Arc V. Arc V ended so badly it pushed me away from Yugioh anime for good. Those last set of episodes were written so poorly. 5D's Japanese sub is still the peak of the series.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
OG, a little bit of GX, a little bit of 5Ds. As much as I loved the actual card game, I was more invested in the ancient magic nonsense of the original show. I loved all the dark magic and the Millennium items and all that jazz. GX was like a watered down version of that, and the motorcycles of 5Ds just threw me.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Original, 5D's, and Arc-V

Definitely like 5D's the most. Arc-V wasn't too bad, got crazy towards the end. Plus it has alt universe Jack Atlas in it so it's cool.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I watched the Kids WB dub up until this guys showed up. Then I got busy and didnt have times on Saturday mornings.Never went back.
61H-2+nIndL._AC_SY679_.jpg

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
Full OG, a few episodes of GX, but it didn't hook me enough, and I didn't check seriously any other reasons. The mix of Egypt myths and modern tech was the hook for me, and I don't think any other mystical reasons they found for the later seasons were interesting enough for me.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
All of Duel monsters twice
Several episodes of GX, very boring.
About 25 episodes of 5D which seemed solid

And then I heard dudes were time traveling to smash their moms and I didn't watch any future yugioh series after that.

Gorillaz

Oct 25, 2017
Up to 5DS. I really only watched the original all the way through and key duels of gx and 5DS
All of Duel monsters twice
Several episodes of GX, very boring.
About 25 episodes of 5D which seemed solid

And then I heard dudes were time traveling to smash their moms and I didn't watch any future yugioh series after that.
Ayooo how we go from a high school kid that likes puzzles to this

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen at least half of OG and 5Ds, and maybe half of GX, but I definitely didn't finish OG and I'm not sure whether I finished 5Ds. Like, by the time a series is ending things are going so off the rails and fatigue has set in so I'm pretty much checked out. When I hear people talking about something that happened I honestly can't remember whether I saw that or not.

Sanchoco

Dec 3, 2018
I have watched
Yu-Gi-Oh, capsule monsters, GX fully dubbed

I have not attempted to watch any of those seasons subbed(I know GX's dub is incomplete)

5Ds I started watching subbed and completed it, then rewatched it dubbed and witnessed the butchering of the last arc(it was terrible)

Started Zexal subbed and then stopped, then started watching dubbed and watched until completion

I have watched a assortment of Arc-V subbed and dubbed, my interest in the anime series in general(as in any Yu-Gi-Oh anime after Zexal) was waning at this point. On top of that, Yuya just didn't interest me at the beginning. The only reason I had some interest was that after the initial episode I started seeing several other characters sharing something with Yuya and they dueled in various ways(which was cool). I may pick it back up to understand everything.

I have watched a couple of episodes of Vrains dubbed via Pluto TV.

Have not watched Sevens but have heard good things about it from Era and YouTubers I follow, so I may watch it if it's ever dubbed

Oct 25, 2017
Patchy watching but up to 5D. After that, I completely dropped out. I only watched everything after the OG when they were on if I randomly left my tv on that channel, so I barely know what happens.

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
OG and GX. I fell off after they started making all sorts of fusions and crap. Couldn't keep up with it.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
The first series and a bit of GX episodes here and there. though I hear the JP script of GX is like, fucking hardcore out there so I wanna see that version of events some day when I have the time. I've heard good things about 5Ds but haven't watched anything more than the dub pilot. Definitely enjoyed the vibe of what little I've seen of it, will most likely watch it subbed as well at some point.

I did watch Darkside of Dimensions and yea, really enjoyed it as a send off for the 1st series' cast. Definitely enjoyed seeing Kaiba and Yugi again.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
The first series and a bit of GX episodes here and there. though I hear the JP script of GX is like, fucking hardcore out there so I wanna see that version of events some day when I have the time. I've heard good things about 5Ds but haven't watched anything more than the dub pilot. Definitely enjoyed the vibe of what little I've seen of it, will most likely watch it subbed as well at some point.
Gotta watch it subbed, it has the GOAT yugioh soundtrack.

DarkLegion

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
OG, a bit of GX and a bit of 5D's. After that I lost interest

Was HUGE on the card game up til synchros became a thing

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
The Duel Monsters anime was my first time getting into an anime enough to seek out and watch the Japanese version of it and basically served as my introduction to Japanese in general. I've watched all of that series.

I didn't really have any interest in watching any spinoffs though, so I've seen maybe the first few episodes of GX and nothing else

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
Duel Monsters up to where they introduce the biker guys, I watched all of GX and finally 5D I remember dropping around where they introduced the blonde lady whose name escapes me. I watched all 3 in japanese.

Any of the series that followed worth watching?

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Up into battle city where all the gods were being summoned. I think I saw the conclusion, felt it was amazing for younger me, but didn't continue after.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I saw of the original series dubbed, but watched all of GX subbed. I actually preferred GX overall, especially since the last season was pretty satisfying as a narrative conclusion (which was never dubbed, sadly).

I saw one episode of 5Ds and was just put off by the premise. Positive reputation and cool setting aside, I simply cannot take card games on motorcycles seriously. It was so stupid and extra that I knew I wouldn't enjoy watching any more of it, so I stopped it right then and there.

Haven't seen any of the other shows after that.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen the original up to the end of the Battle City finals (subbed), a little of the rest dubbed. Saw Pyramid of Light dubbed and Dark Side of Dimensions subbed.

Seen a few eps of GX here and there dubbed.

Watched all of 5D's, ARC-V, and VRAINS subbed. Saw Bonds Beyond Time movie both dub and sub.

Skipped Zexal and Sevens.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I watched through the end of Battle City and a portion of S4/Waking the Dragons when I was in middle school but then fell off. I was mostly playing Magic at the time so there was no connection to anything I was doing in the tabletop space, and the anime wasn't really holding my interest anymore. By the time I checked back up on it we were at CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES and I decided I was good.

Owned a couple volumes of the original manga and read it in the English Shonen Jump magazine, but never got around to watching any of the Season Zero/Toei anime.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Uhh OG is a bit difficult to nail down, but I think Orichalcos?

GX is pretty scattered for me

5Ds I watched until partway into the second half since that was the least interesting part of all of 5Ds due to shenanigans.

Don't think I watched anything after that.

May 24, 2021
I watched the OG up until the end of the arc with the God cards. I also watched a bit after, but I though the stuff with the weird seal thing and the goofy "fuse with every card" dragons was kinda dumb, so I didn't really watch that as much.

I watched GX a bit too, but I don't remember a damn thing about the show aside from the school setting, the E-Hero and Cyber Dragon decks, and...I feel like randomly I caught some later episodes and what's his face had some crazy eye thing going on or something.

Didn't watch anything after that.

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Finished Duel Monsters, watched half of GX, finished 5D's. I watched them again but with subs, I plan on finishing GX eventually.

I would like to watch Arc-V but some of the side characters annoy me

Oct 25, 2017
  • I have read and loved the original manga run
  • I've watched a handful of the toei anime
  • I've watched the Duel Monsters anime in subbed japanese (minus the orichalcos season which I have not seen)
  • I saw the 4kids dub of Duelist Kingdom and some of Battle City
  • I did not stick with GX, I gave 5Ds a shot and it also didn't stick.
When GX rolled around I gave it a shot but the premise just didn't land with me. An entire boarding school children are enrolled in to practice a collectible card game? From then on and into future seasons/animes, it was like suddenly this entire planet's culture revolved around this card game.

I don't really get it. The card game aspect of the original was driven by people with ulterior motives. To the outside observer it's Magic the Gathering or eSports, seemingly not that important in the grand scheme. But to you as a viewer, you're in on the secret, and it's that secret that drives the story.
So an eccentric game maker is inspired by egyptian monster magic to make a card game and holds a grandiose tournament as a cover to steal egyptian relics from people, because those relics can make that magic real. Besides the folks who got attracted to the tournament due to the furtive magical motives, many with their own magical motives, everyone else is basically just there to play pokemon TCG for prize money.
Then later an obsessive billionaire egomaniac who is cranky that he lost holds another tournament himself, and some of the same players show up to basically attempt the same thing (get all the magical relics), and what's kinda funny is that this time the guy running the tournament is motivated entirely by ego (and reincarnation shit but that's another can of worms) and wants nothing to do with the magic bullshit people are bringing into his competition.
Once the excuses for card games run out of steam, the story pivots back to the foundation of the premise, the egyptian magic. And then it's over, the magical items are gone. (until DSoD)

After that story was over, the card game should have only been about as important to general society as something like esports. But instead it's like...the bedrock of their culture now? Instead of becoming less important, for some reason it's a thousand times more important? It felt very transparently like flimsy excuses to keep shit going for the TCG cash, the original creator was less involved in the story and took on more of a producer/supervisor role from then on, and it just felt illegitimate to me.

WrzAClW.gif

There are plenty that enjoyed that stuff too so obviously it's not without its worth, but for me it became clear the story I was interested in was already over.

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
OG, GX, 5Ds, and Arc-V

Only one I binged the entirety of was the original series though. Fell off on the other ones for one reason or another, and thought Zexal and VRAINs looked too dumb to bother with

And I'm over watching Yu-Gi-Oh now, so don't care about Sevens either

Bee.Cups

The Fallen
I think as a kid I saw almost all of the stuff up to yugi summoning a hero dragon to beat an evil dragon Orichalcum? Something like that. But beyond that I watched maybe 3 episodes of the series with the kid who talked to a flying puffball and dropped the series forever.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Made it to ep 117 on the original anime after I restarted on Crunchyroll. I may finish sometime

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Only have watched Duel Monsters and GX.

Duel Monsters when I was a kid and it aired in Nickelodeon. Back then I loved it. These days it just makes me laugh.

GX recently; in 2019 or 2018. So far my favorite Yugioh. When it was airing I hated it. And even to this day S1 and S2 are quite mediocre. But come S3 and everything improves. S4 is also superb, although a downgrade compared to S3. Post character development Judai is my favorite protagonist.

Have tried to watch 5D, but so far haven't been able to find the will to watch it.

Want to buy the original manga and read the chapters before Duel Monsters became the only game. I understand Yami Yugi was a psycho at the beginning. I need to see that.

TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Only the OG and GX, and I didn't even finish either. (I've seen all of dub GX because it's a beautiful mess but never watched S4 but would like to some day, OG I saw through the Orichalcos arc and a handful after that including the finale episodes).