Dec 21, 2017
After months of unemployment, I've found a job and the respective office is pretty nice and more or less what I'm looking for in a job.

However, after being hired for a month, the boss pulled me into his office to inform me he's decreasing my pay by $2 because he thought I was worth more but i'm not, and it's not fair to the older/more skilled employees for me to be paid that wage.

I like it there, and they've promised mentorship in a career, but i'm not sure about staying after this.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
However, after being hired for a month, the boss pulled me into his office to inform me he's decreasing my pay by $2 because he thought I was worth more but i'm not, and it's not fair to the older/more skilled employees for me to be paid that wage.

This would make me want to find a new job immediately. That's a total slap in the face.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Money is not everything. But you are free to leave anytime, you owe them nothing.
That said, I'd wait to have something new lined up before leaving.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would have quit after talking to the boss.

That reasoning for pay decrease is lmao

Oct 30, 2017
Line something up immediately.

Cutting pay is absurd unless you really screwed up and this is an alternative to termination.

A pay cut is a signal that they don't value you. They flat out said they aren't as valuable as originally said. Whatever long term career progression they are offering, it's already off to a bad start.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I would have quit on the spot, but I don't recommend that. Find something better and then leave.

One time in my career I did get a paycut, but it was company wide and didn't target me specifically (and the cut was restored a year later - the issue was primarily economic). Your case is different - he's targeted you and effectively told you that your contributions don't matter to him. Start looking for a new job now - I can't imagine the situation there getting any better.

Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck. Get something else lined up and leave immediately.

I wouldn't even give them 2 weeks notice. Just get a new job and quit. They don't respect you so fuck them.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that is weird. Did you recently mention to some other people about how much they were paying you? Cause it looks like some of the old times complained they weren't getting paid as much as you.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Immediately, they will continue to slash your wage since you accepted it the first time until your salary either is 0 or minimum wage.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
Depending on how strapped for cash I would be, that would've been my last day there. If I did stay, the job hunt would start almost immediately. And my productivity would decrease significantly.

Its one thing to think you could be doing more and they pull you in and talk to you about that - good management should be able to develop a productive, positive rapport with anyone. But this is an immediate docking of pay, and there doesn't seem to have been a warning issued prior to this happening.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
That is super shitty and you should bounce the moment you find something else. That is not a workplace you want to be in.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I know getting a job in some places can be really difficult and laws change from place to place, but if possible look for a contract forbidding pay cuts. The very concept of that sounds absurd to me, unless we're talking about getting a cut in sales, tips or something like that.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
In my country pay cuts (especially done that way) are unconstitutional and you can file a lawsuit towards your employer and you will win. Those are one of the big nonos.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
find a new job
if you stay they'll just keep targeting you when something else arises since you just took it

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was probably the plan all along. Hire someone with the promise of the higher pay and then reduce shortly after hiring.

Scummy as fuck.

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You say you love the job so why not stay and see if you can increase your wages in the future. Personally unless this pay cut will significantly affect your personal finances I'll stay. Job satisfaction is more important than money

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Yeah, it's time to start looking. When you do leave, I wouldn't even bother with notice, just dip.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
That's super fucked up and possibly not even legal. Start looking now. My wife worked at a place that tried to pull something kinda similar but it was just a way to try to get her to quit... so they didn't have to pay unemployment. So when she claimed it they said no she quit, we didn't lay her off. They lost immediately when the whole dropping her pay came up with the unemployment office.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I would start looking immediately. The moment you line something up hand in your two weeks.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Some people are willing to take a cut for a new job if it's better for their QoL (location, benefits, etc). I wouldn't take a pay cut willingly for an existing position, and this particularly:

However, after being hired for a month, the boss pulled me into his office to inform me he's decreasing my pay by $2 because he thought I was worth more but i'm not...

Fuck you. I'm starting my job search immediately.

Last edited:

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You say you love the job so why not stay and see if you can increase your wages in the future. Personally unless this pay cut will significantly affect your personal finances I'll stay. Job satisfaction is more important than money

You'd have to have a serious lack of dignity and self worth to do that imo.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
IMO you should refuse the pay cut. Leave it up to them to let you go or keep you on, but definitely don't sign any paper accepting a salary reduction.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the...how disrespectful. I've never heard of getting your pay cut unless you're in the military and you're demoted for egregious behavior or something like that. Find a new job ASAP.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Get a new offer and leave, in that order.
One and done.

If the pay cut came as a surprise to you then I'm willing to bet them inevitably firing you will also come as a surprise. Beat them to the punch and investigate a new job before they leave you high and dry.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
A pay cut?

Immediately. Your boss just let you know that you're not wanted anymore, he's not being subtle.

SephiZack

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even think you could receive a pay cut after a month of employment for "I thought you would be worth more". I would have started looking for new jobs as soon as I left the office. Get a new offer lined up and quit as soon as you have it.