• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
So this fake tweet surfaced
EPK242IUEAAfd8z

It's one hundred percent not real...

But rather than just say hey not real

Our intrepid transphobic rich lady decides you know what this fake tweet is like....

THE ELDERS OF ZION!

It takes impressive skill to respond to something fake with something actually worse than the fake thing you were accused of.

EDIT: Context,

JK has been a subtle TERF for years, recently she came out in overt support of a woman whose contract was not renewed because she was deeply transphobic. She framed it as no one should be fired for supporting women and basically affirmed what many trans folk had already known that she doesn't see trans women as women.

This is what she said:

It's a clear statement that trans women aren't real women, and that it's dangerous that someone could not be employed for believing that. It's not only hateful, it's fear mongering about how trans rights, and our identities are a systemic threat to women

So when this fake tweet surfaces and she's invoking a quote about totalitarianism and the creation of the Elders of Zion, the conntection to the systemic fear mongering is there:

They'll fire us, they'll lie about us.

You don't casually invoke a quote about totalitarianism without a greater point. There's a million other ways to talk about the ease which fake tweets spread without invoking totalitarianism

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused. Rowling literally cited the person she was quoting...
Maybe I haven't googled enough, but as far as I can tell Hannah Arendt isn't antisemitic

Jan 31, 2018
Yeah, I don't see anything particular sinister about that quote. Don't read into things that aren't there just because you don't like the person.

And this place needs a break from JK Rowling threads. They're all over the top hysterical.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I mean fine close the thread if y'all disagree... but If a fake racist Tweet from Trump surfaced and he started invoking comparisons to the rise of Totalitarianism, and the creation of the Elders of Zion (that citation is specifically about the Elders of Zion) people wouldn't be saying it's nothing

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Quoting Arendt here is pompous, and she's a terf, fuck terfs, but this thread is kind of reaching tbh.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You hear that some people are always looking for things to be outraged about. This thread right here is a perfect example. OP you're not comparing JK to Trump?

Oct 27, 2017
I mean fine close the thread if y'all disagree... but If a fake racist Tweet from Trump surfaced and he started invoking comparisons to the rise of Totalitarianism, and the creation of the Elders of Zion (that citation is specifically about the Elders of Zion) people wouldn't be saying it's nothing
But Trump has on numerous occasions directly shown himself to be racist while Rowling, as far as we know, hasn't ever shown herself to be antisemitic. It's not the same at all. If it was a transphobic quote, I might be more inclined to believe it because of her TERF viewpoints, but when you go out of your way to include parts of a quote excluded intentionally and change it's meaning from something relevant as a response to something completely else, that's another story

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder why people would react differently if Trump did that.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
You hear that some people are always looking for things to be outraged about. This thread right here is a perfect example. OP you're not comparing JK to Trump?

He's racist, she's transphobic.... That's my point of comparison.

And look at the replies to her tweet, it's full of terfy bullshit.... She knows what she's doing here.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
JK is certainly not perfect and some of her positions, are dissapointing AF.

But this is quite a stretch. There's more than enough to criticize without the need of hyperbole

Deleted member 60096

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2019
But Trump has on numerous occasions directly shown himself to be racist while Rowling, as far as we know, hasn't ever shown herself to be antisemitic. It's not the same at all. If it was a transphobic quote, I might be more inclined to believe it because of her TERF viewpoints, but when you go out of your way to include parts of a quote excluded intentionally and change it's meaning from something relevant as a response to something completely else, that's another story
I mean in regards to her being potentially antisemtic, I have seen discussion over whether or not the goblins running Gringotts are a negative Jewish stereotype, whether this was her intention I have no idea but then she did have a lot of stuff in the books that are at least a little problematic when you think about it

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
User Banned (Permanent): Excusing Bigotry; Numerous Prior Infractions for Inflammatory Behavior
Are you comparing the most powerful person in the world whose words and actions impact billions to a children's book author whose views on one set of issues you disagree with?

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

They both deny the personhood of myself and others like me, so as far as I'm concerned they're both scum of the earth

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are you comparing the most powerful person in the world whose words and actions impact billions to a children's book author whose views on one issue you disagree with?

children's books author who wrote the best selling book series of all time who refuses to acknowledge trans people as people*. she's not trump but let's not pretend like she doesn't have influence, and let's also not pretend like the "one issue" is just an issue, it's a matter of people's lives