What would you want more?

• Legends Legacy Collection or just straight-up hi-res remasters of 1, 2, and Tron Bonne

Votes: 88 81.5%
  • Star Force Legacy Collection with all 7 games

Votes: 20 18.5%

• Total voters

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I have played all the Classic, X, Zero, and ZX games so many times but I have almost no familiarity with Legends, Battle Network, and Star Force. Obviously we are all getting our wish with the amazingly cool looking Mega Man Battle Network Legacy Collection at some point in 2023 and that rocks.

So that begs the question. What are my best options for playing the Legends and Star Force games? I feel like there's a good likelihood that they'll be released eventually in their own collections by 2028 but what about before then? Will Sony put the Legends games on PS+ Premium? If I got a Vita would I be able to play them through downloading if I owned a digital PS3 copy? Star Force seems like it has only ever been on DS and I would need physical copies? Just looking for help to check my options because I want to play through every Mega Man subseries some day :)

mega-man-legends-3.large.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Outside of Emulation, these games are pricey for physical copies.

MML1 and 2 are available on PSN afaik, so playable on PS3 or Vita, even Tron Bonne. It is up to Capcom to include them in the new PS+

Ovaltine

Oct 25, 2017
"yet"

"Mega Man Legends"

meme-thanos.gif

Us MML fans live in the darkness and shadows, clutching our Vita's and Vita TV's close to our chest. I doubt I'll ever get to play that game on another system.

panama chief

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Legends/Tron Bonne with right stick cam control please. I'd pay a premium to play this way. I tried loading up legends and centering the cam with a button is archaic. I can't do it

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gatorland
Legends is my jam but between the two, a Starforce Collection is most likely the next one in the works.

With Legends, I would not be surprised if it gets bundled in an "Auxiliary Collection" with some of the spin-off titles like Mega Man & Bass and the two fighting games.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I'm just hoping Capcom and publishers on a whole become comfortable with bringing fifth generation games back for remasters and rereleases. I mean, of course Microsoft has been absolutely great about posterity with stuff like Rare Replay heavily featuring N64 stuff, as well as keeping BC for stuff like Guardian Heroes from Saturn; and Nintendo has been solid with a steady drip of N64 stuff; but so many games, specifically on playstation are just getting more and more inaccessible. Besides square, you don't really have publishers giving polished rereleases to their early 3D catalogues. It's a shame too because a lot of the indie scene lovingly embraces the aesthetic that I presume many big publishers feel is too ugly and inaccessible for modern gamers.

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022
Never heard about that. Is that the same reasoning that BoF3 took so long to come out in NA? Something about there needing to be significant enhancements for a PSP port?
Yup. Also why we never got the Tales of Eternia PSP port. And why I had to import it, only to find out I have a copy that won't let you proceed past Plasma.

Haklen

Dec 15, 2018
Playing the water ruins in 2 at a reasonable framerate should be considered a significant enhancement.
You can force them to play at 30 fps with a cheatcode, I tested it out, but it forces the game to run at 30 fps everywhere, I didnt see any issues, but I did skip cutscenes, but beat the game without issue, the person responsible also did a ppf patch but I cant try that one out. Emulators only otherwise, no idea of how a ps1/ps2/ps3 would behave otherwise.

OP
OP
StarPhlox

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I personally am most curious about Star Force but it does seem to be the worst in terms of critical reception of all the Mega Man subseries. I wonder if that's due to its actual quality, the comparisons to Battle Network, or if the franchise burnout was just at its tipping point by then and nothing would have been good enough with the oversaturation.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Outside of Emulation, these games are pricey for physical copies.

MML1 and 2 are available on PSN afaik, so playable on PS3 or Vita, even Tron Bonne.

Yeah, I bought these on PSN. If you're interested and you have the means, I would not wait. I don't have 100% confidence the PS3 store won't just go away one day. I've been picking up quite a few classic games I'd like to have on both PS3 and Wii U stores lately.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
I personally am most curious about Star Force but it does seem to be the worst in terms of critical reception of all the Mega Man subseries. I wonder if that's due to its actual quality, the comparisons to Battle Network, or if the franchise burnout was just at its tipping point by then and nothing would have been good enough with the oversaturation.
StarForce 3 is the best RPG megaman game in my opinion. It's also my favorite megaman game. The other two games are not nearly as good but SF3 hits better when you've at least played SF1. Unfortunately, the game is super expensive on the used market.

You know how BN6 is the most polished BN game but is not necessarily the best BN game because its story and postgame is weaker than BN3? Imagine if all those elements reached their peak in one game. That''s SF3. Obviously, you might have a preference for BN gameplay but otherwise: visuals, artstyle, polish, cohesiveness, removing tedious bs, post game content, gameplay and etc is arguable the best in the RPG series. Music is great as expected but not necessarily the best in the series considering the rest of the series pedigree haha. SF1 has the best story in the RPG games though.

Alright, sorry for the wall of text. I'm a bit of a SF3 stan as you can see.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
All in all for Legends you've got: PS1 discs (+N64 for Legends 1), PSN versions on PS3 (can be played on Vita I guess) or JP exclusive PSP ports for Legends 1 and 2 (No Tron Bonne). There are also obscure old PC ports for 1 and 2. Otherwise you gotta go illegal.

Bonus: The Japanese-only prologue to Legends 2, Rockman DASH 2 Episode 1, can only be played on the JP Tron Bonne PS1 disc and PSP port of 2. The English release of Tron Bonne replaced these prologue missions with ones from the full Legends 2 game.

Super Bonus: The Japanese phone exclusive Rockman DASH: Great Adventure on the 5 Islands game. This game no longer be downloaded from the original subscription service, but a full video playthrough exists online.

Cursed Bonus: Rockman DASH 3: The Prologue! Capcom doesn't want you to play this on your 3DS ever.

Tsumami

Feb 3, 2022

Starforce is a good series, 2 is kinda weak but 1 has a fantastic story with solid gameplay and 3 also has a fantastic story with genuinely great gameplay. I love it, really wish 4 wasn't canceled.

It def got a bad rap because the of franchise fatigue I think.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
In hindsight I really wish they kept going with Star Force and maybe even another spiritual successor to Battle Network, what a great series of games. I think at the time we all thought of them as spinoffs while hungry for a "true" Mega Man game but they really do stand up on their own and I miss them

I think Legends remasters are inevitable tbh. We might even start getting them on NSO

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
It's due to actual quality. The franchise didn't find its footing until the third game, which was the last one. Too little, too late.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
We know from the Capcom ransomware leaks that they were actively using the Misadventures of Tron Bonne source code for something, and the Megaman collections have been comprised of full source ports instead of emulation from the Zero/ZX Collection onwards, so some sort of compilation featuring the Legends era games is a matter of when, not if, really.

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022
We know from the Capcom ransomware leaks that they were actively using the Misadventures of Tron Bonne source code for something, and the Megaman collections have been comprised of full source ports instead of emulation from the Zero/ZX Collection onwards, so some sort of compilation featuring the Legends era games is a matter of when, not if, really.
The PS2 games on X LC were ports too IIRC.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Would love a MML remaster with PS2 graphics. Still keep it low poly with pixel art textures.

Elgen98

Nov 9, 2021
Starforce is a good series, 2 is kinda weak but 1 has a fantastic story with solid gameplay and 3 also has a fantastic story with genuinely great gameplay. I love it, really wish 4 wasn't canceled.

It def got a bad rap because the of franchise fatigue I think.
Does 3 at least wrap-up the story in a satisfying way?

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I could play them on PS3 but I still have faith that the Legends games are gonna get the Legacy Collection treatment next. Especially after the Tron Bonne leak. Ports of all those games with reworked controls sounds great.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I just hope all of the missing Mega Man games (Legends, Star Force, Xtreme, GB 1-5, Command Mission, Network Transmission, etc.) get releases eventually.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I could play them on PS3 but I still have faith that the Legends games are gonna get the Legacy Collection treatment next. Especially after the Tron Bonne leak. Ports of all those games with reworked controls sounds great.

I'm sure Legends Legacy Collection is coming. The reason it's taking so long is they need to touch up way more than just the graphics (at least in the first game.)

And well, there's the whole issue with Teisel's VA.

Gezech

Oct 28, 2017
Legends Legacy Collection is likely in development. I'm not sure if they're timing it with a MML3 revival but given that we haven't gotten MMX9 four years after MMXLC 1 & 2, I wouldn't count on it.

Fatal Nutritionist

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 18, 2022
The legacy collections out aren't even the best ways to play many of the other Mega Man games, you're better off getting the Xbox or PS2 collection, or getting X7 and X8 on the PS2.

Legends/Tron Bonne with right stick cam control please. I'd pay a premium to play this way. I tried loading up legends and centering the cam with a button is archaic. I can't do it

Centering the cam? You're supposed to use the shoulder buttons while you're moving to control the camera effectively, cam center button or the lock-on are supposed to be situational. Makes the games a lot easier to play.

You know how BN6 is the most polished BN game but is not necessarily.

Not sure about when 4-6 look much worse than 1-3 when they intentionally downgraded the graphic style. Even Star Force uses the same style as 4-6 it's just cleaned up. imagine BN2 or BN3 with uncompressed graphics on a DS.

Battle Network is the most popular Mega Man in japan and Star Force was a follow-up. Elsewhere the BN series had a short popularity boom that peaked with BN3 and crashed with BN4 and never came back, this even applies to the anime the entire series fell apart at the same time outside japan.

It's why the Star Force BN crossover game wasn't released in the west.

All in all for Legends you've got: PS1 discs (+N64 for Legends 1), PSN versions on PS3 (can be played on Vita I guess) or JP exclusive PSP ports for Legends 1 and 2 (No Tron Bonne). There are also obscure old PC ports for 1 and 2. Otherwise you gotta go illegal.

The PC port of 2 is only released in Asia iirc.

I'm sure Legends Legacy Collection is coming. The reason it's taking so long is they need to touch up way more than just the graphics (at least in the first game.)

And well, there's the whole issue with Teisel's VA.

I doubt it's coming, I also don't know why people think they are going to touch up the games, they didn't with the collections so far. Did the original Mega Man legacy collection 1 and 2 even have the PS versions of the NES games?

the Battle Network collections seem to be emulated GBA games, they don't have the DS version of 5, they didn't do anything with the graphics, they didn't work to try and get Network transmission ported, no WS games, no 4.5, and no BCC. We also don't have the Star force crossover either.

Nothing was done with the X collection titles, other than issues due to the emulation or lag. Problems with sound too.

We haven't seen anything to indicate Capcom is putting anything but the bare minimum into these collections. Honestly, I think the fans have gotten used to it that they don't care anymore that these collections are sub par, they could have fit many of these games all on one disc instead of charging for separate collections in parts. They could have fixed the res and remastered the games but didn't.

Since the original 2 Legacy collections, the BN was has to be the laziest or second laziest so far imo. Not just the missing games but nothing was done to the games, no enhancements. Don't get me wrong, it gives a new way to play the games but we are talking about untouched GBA games from 2000-2005.

Yeah, I think everything outside of X1-3 were ports instead of emulation.

Makes sense, they were all based off the SNES version, they didn't even have an option for the PS1 version of X3 in the collection yet they could have emulated that, strange decision.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Since the original 2 Legacy collections, the BN was has to be the laziest or second laziest so far imo. Not just the missing games but nothing was done to the games, no enhancements. Don't get me wrong, it gives a new way to play the games but we are talking about untouched GBA games from 2000-2005.
Pretty sure they confirmed that BN Legacy Collection are ports, not emulation at TGS. Aren't they getting online and a bunch of bugfixes, too?

Fatal Nutritionist

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 18, 2022
Pretty sure they confirmed that BN Legacy Collection are ports, not emulation at TGS. Aren't they getting online and a bunch of bugfixes, too?

They did say they were working on it, though didn't confirm whether it would be ready for launch. They also said they will split the collection into two volumes again which I find annoying but I guess it's a way to make more money.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I doubt it's coming, I also don't know why people think they are going to touch up the games, they didn't with the collections so far. Did the original Mega Man legacy collection 1 and 2 even have the PS versions of the NES games?

the Battle Network collections seem to be emulated GBA games, they don't have the DS version of 5, they didn't do anything with the graphics, they didn't work to try and get Network transmission ported, no WS games, no 4.5, and no BCC. We also don't have the Star force crossover either.

Nothing was done with the X collection titles, other than issues due to the emulation or lag. Problems with sound too.

Didn't only the SNES games had input lag? The PS1 games were fine AFAIK (or at least better)

Also they had the additional battle mode, the rookie hunter difficulty mode. Not big changes by any means but they did add some stuff.

I don't see the point in emulating the PS1 version of X3 other than conservation reasons since it sucked.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Not sure about when 4-6 look much worse than 1-3 when they intentionally downgraded the graphic style. Even Star Force uses the same style as 4-6 it's just cleaned up. imagine BN2 or BN3 with uncompressed graphics on a DS.

We haven't seen anything to indicate Capcom is putting anything but the bare minimum into these collections. Honestly, I think the fans have gotten used to it that they don't care anymore that these collections are sub par, they could have fit many of these games all on one disc instead of charging for separate collections in parts. They could have fixed the res and remastered the games but didn't.

My comment about polish was mainly about gameplay. I don't think most people would disagree that BN6 is the most balanced game in the series and has the most polished transformation system with the cross system. It also has a streamlined structure for the dungeons that help reduce tedium imo. As for the visuals, I personally prefer BN6 to BN3 bur your milleage may vary.

For the rest of your post... Uhmm they've confirmed they are not emulating the games but instead making full ports. They're also adding online functionality for pvp and trading. They seem to be making event chips available. They've also confirmed they'll be fixing BN6 postgame having the panic music in the overworld. It seems to be me that there's a good amount of work going into those. We just need a confirmation of japanese exclusive scenarios being available scenarios being available in the west and it'd be near perfect. It's a shame about OSS and double team DS though.

Fatal Nutritionist

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 18, 2022
Didn't only the SNES games had input lag? The PS1 games were fine AFAIK (or at least better)

Also they had the additional battle mode, the rookie hunter difficulty mode. Not big changes by any means but they did add some stuff.

I don't see the point in emulating the PS1 version of X3 other than conservation reasons since it sucked.

Many people prefer that version. It's not that big of a game either so it shouldn't be hard to add, they did it in the previous collection and on PSN with the PSP.

My comment about polish was mainly about gameplay. I don't think most people would disagree that BN6 is the most balanced game in the series and has the most polished transformation system with the cross system. It also has a streamlined structure for the dungeons that help reduce tedium imo. As for the visuals, I personally prefer BN6 to BN3 bur your milleage may vary.

For the rest of your post... Uhmm they've confirmed they are not emulating the games but instead making full ports. They're also adding online functionality for pvp and trading. They seem to be making event chips available. They've also confirmed they'll be fixing BN6 postgame having the panic music in the overworld. It seems to be me that there's a good amount of work going into those. We just need a confirmation of japanese exclusive scenarios being available scenarios being available in the west and it'd be near perfect. It's a shame about OSS and double team DS though.

Doesn't sound like much actually.

but about BN64, not sure you could call that transformation system polished, it was definitely better than forms and easier to use, but it just dumbed down a system that could have been better, also removing the add button I think was a big mistake but some people are mixed on that.

As for combat balance other than transformation I'm not so sure. the combat seems worse to me, and the dungeons are streamlined you are right, compared to 4 and 5 but I don't believe they are more streamlined than 3 until late game since I believe the Alpha blobs added an unintentional annoyance, but they are arguably too streamline and then still have a higher encounter rate which is the issue I had with 4 as well compared to 3, 3 was balancing out the encounter rates, the combat was much more satisfying and strategic instead of relying on the same fall backs so you had to think or lose, and the bosses were more engaging, although some were poor (drillman) it was a better experience, where 6 didn't have that kind of combat and seemed to go for an overstreamlined approach for the final game making it easy, annoying at some parts to play with a very lackluster story that seemed to fall apart and rush toward a conclusion in the last few hours.

Chip code balance was bad, not as bad as 5 Protoman, but it took longer for you to make a competitive folder that was worth anything at bare minimum. It also took awhile to make for the game to be less irritating early on just like 5P, that seemed to have carried over, but like 5P, once you get what you need the game becomes a cake walk and moves to the other extreme, but this time the bosses are just plain easy with some questionable A.I., Gregar and Faltzer have to be the easiest bosses in the series and you don't even lose your Beat form when you fight them iirc, but even without that they add to the lackluster conclusion. As well as Wilys out of character 180. Bn2 had a kid kill someone with a bomb for failing him in some gang, and BN3 had tanks and a whole story about people connected to the underground and backstory with Wily and dad grandpa, and the people working for wily all had their own stories, while Bn6 everyone was just there, rewritten, or they were comic relief with nothing to add.

I will saw cross fusion was much better than style changes in terms of how long it took for you to even have a style change or upgrade your style (50-100 battles) and how the element was random. I do believe styles themselves aside from earning them are better though, especially in BN2 where you could stock two of them.

The style change system imo, should have been merged with 4's systems, have to where after 10 battles you can unlock a new style based on using elemental or bug chips from that style as plain Mega Man, and then you can choose if you want to level them up, and have it so you can carry two at a time, but have some server in sci-lab to where you can swap out other styles and keep them in storage.