• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
HE ALREADY HAD THE POWER STONE THAT HE STOLE FROM XANDAR.

The mentioned it later in the movie that before he came across Thor/Loki/Hulk, he had just nuked Xandar and stolen the Power Stone from the Nova Corps.
Again he never used it against Hulk, Marvel isn't subtle on when Thanos is using the stone it's super obvious when he is Thanos is just stronger and a better fighter

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
1. Thanos is more powerful
2. MCU Hulk kinda sucks
3. The writers wanted Thanos to beat the crap out of Hulk.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
Comics Thanos is a mutant/deviant variant of a race called "eternals." He was naturally extremely powerful but amplified his abilities through research into cosmic power.

The MCU never got into his origins but you really don't need to. All you need to know is that he's top of the food chain from a Galactic perspective. "how" doesn't really matter- the galaxy is a big place and weird stuff exists. There's actually a decent argument that Ego (and by extension Starlord in Guardians 2) is a lot more powerful, but these are extremely old, extremely rare entities.

We see A LOT of alien races in Guardians 1 and 2. A bunch of them are stronger than humanity but not by crazy leaps and bounds- and EVERYONE to a man is terrified of Thanos. Not his species or race- just him.

He's meant to be a singular threat.

I understand your point but, personally, I prefer when characters have unique back stories that explain their powers.

Just being an alien is massively overdone.

You're right it doesn't really matter to the overall story they are telling. It's just how I prefer the wider universe to have some anchorage points.

It doesn't stop my enjoyment or anything, I just imagine we are going to get a lot more of this as they expand into the universe.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

When you rejected reality, was the reality stone glowing? :)

I understand your point but, personally, I prefer when characters have unique back stories that explain their powers.

You're right it doesn't really matter to the overall story they are telling. It's just how I prefer the wider universe to have some anchorage points.

It doesn't stop my enjoyment or anything, I just imagine we are going to get a lot more of this as they expand into the universe.

The MCU isn't done with Thanos and we will likely get more information about him (if not the man himself) in Eternals, which is basically going to be the entire backstory of the race he comes from.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I really hate what they did to the Hulk. He has taken over a really boring supportive role as being a smart Hulk with a crippled arm

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Everyone is more powerful than everyone if you have the right writers. I feel like there isn't much sense in trying to comprehend logic in MCU movies.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
When you rejected reality, was the reality stone glowing? :)

The MCU isn't done with Thanos and we will likely get more information about him (if not the man himself) in Eternals, which is basically going to be the entire backstory of the race he comes from.

Ah, I didn't know the comic lore on Thanos. The films have moved way past my knowledge base at this point.

The next slate of films is going to feature a lot of heroes that I have zero experience with, so hoping they keep up the quality.

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
From everything we have seen of the Hulk in the MCU and that we know from Thanos in the MCU, why is that so hard to grasp?

Oct 29, 2017
Captain Marvel is one of the strongest characters in the MCU, so her overpowering Thanos is not that surprising. Same with Scarlet Witch, she nearly took him out too.

Hulk is physically strong sure but so is Thanos, who is a Titan. Thanos has the edge of being smarter and on par with Hulk physically. Aaaaand also because it raises the stakes pretty high to see Thanos fist fight Hulk and win at the very beginning.

I have no idea what the power rankings are in the comics, though.

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Hulk is pulling a Blake Griffin in hopes that Universal will trade his movie rights to Disney

as soon as that happens, Hulk will get mad enough to dunk on the whole MCU.

But really, I think Hulk comes in with a sweeping expectation to SMASH this guy, and Thanos stunted on him so quickly, that even Hulk was caught off guard and couldn't get mad at the man before having his own ass handed back to him.... Actually he was so embarrassed that we didn't see him again for the rest of the movie.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

The Eternals movie is due out at the end of the year and deals with a lot of cosmic stuff. We may see more about Thanos and why he was the way he was as the next phase rolls on.

But i think its clear the explanation wasn't "he was an alien" because none of the alien races we ever saw (via guardians) were anywhere close to being as powerful as Thanos was. They were all roughly on the level humans were, give or take a bit.

Whatever caused him to be that way appears to be unique. No one ever even refers to the race or species Thanos is from. He's the threat, not his planet or species.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The power stone never lights up so he wasn't using the power stone to beat Hulk. Every time he uses a stone it lights up.

I took it as it only lights up for special attack. Everytime he collects a stone, he "levels up". So i took it as he naturally gets more powerful himself. Either way, endgame thanos fucked up ironman, thor, and cap in a handicap fight so not that surprising he made hulk look like a chump.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
Captain Marvel is one of the strongest characters in the MCU, so her overpowering Thanos is not that surprising. Same with Scarlet Witch, she nearly took him out too.

Hulk is physically strong sure but so is Thanos, who is a Titan. Thanos has the edge of being smarter and on par with Hulk physically. Aaaaand also because it raises the stakes pretty high to see Thanos fist fight Hulk and win at the very beginning.

I have no idea what the power rankings are in the comics, though.
Hulk is strongest one there is

The Flash had a similar problem in DC Comics for a while. If Superman is faster than the Flash then what's point of the Flash?

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Hulk in MCU never had Big Game Energy like comic Hulk. This ain't the Planet Hulk/World War Hulk. They establish that pretty well tbh.

Plus Thanos is a genius and his combat skills are way more honed than Hulk. He bodied him strategically in the beginning of IW.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Hulk is strongest one there is

Hulk says this a lot but it's never actually been true.

The Flash had a similar problem in DC Comics for a while. If Superman is faster than the Flash then what's point of the Flash?

Their powers don't really work the same, despite both being "fast." that's been true for decades now. Barry/wally/etc manipulate the concept of speed itself and can steal it from other sources, lend it to others, etc.

Its like saying Superman doesn't need to breathe underwater and can swim, so what's the point of Aquaman.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
The Eternals movie is due out at the end of the year and deals with a lot of cosmic stuff. We may see more about Thanos and why he was the way he was as the next phase rolls on.

But i think its clear the explanation wasn't "he was an alien" because none of the alien races we ever saw (via guardians) were anywhere close to being as powerful as Thanos was. They were all roughly on the level humans were, give or take a bit.

Whatever caused him to be that way appears to be unique. No one ever even refers to the race or species Thanos is from. He's the threat, not his planet or species.

Doesn't Thanos give a whole speech on the planet Titan, which was his home planet in Infinity War? It very much suggests he is a native of that planet.

I suppose the trope I'm referring to is more over used in comics themselves, rather than specifically the MCU. So Martians in DC but then Thor, Groot and Drax are all stronger than humans just by being aliens. They are not Thanos powered but their superpower is "being an alien".

I swear there was a "how come we never meet any aliens less powerful than humans? joke in one of the Guardians films but I may be mis-remembering.

Anyway, this may all be explained later but as of Infinity War and Endgame, the only assumption I can make for Thanos being stronger than anyone else in the galaxy is that he is just naturally that strong. Then begs the question, are all Titans/ Titonians/Titanese super strong?

Anyway, doesn't matter, it's really a personal gripe.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because Hulk is about as strong as Captain America

6fiI9Oa.gif

A3tc10e.gif

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
No, there isnt. Comics have editors that writers answer to, and editors don't change very often. There are "bibles" that act as guidelines for things like that. Writers don't have free reign to "do what they want" with these characters because they don't own them. Marvel as a corporation does and theyre usually sensitive about protecting their IP.

This is a bizarre point. Yes, editors are there to keep consistency but we are talking decades and decades of lore and a gallery of different editors. The characters have changed drastically over time, its not as if there's this dead sea scrolls of marvel character rules no one can change/retcon/ reinterpret.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
Hulk says this a lot but it's never actually been true.
When it comes to heroes it's true. The only one in Marvel who really beats him is the Sentry and that's because he's a gimmick character.

Their powers don't really work the same, despite both being "fast." that's been true for decades now. Barry/wally/etc manipulate the concept of speed itself and can steal it from other sources, lend it to others, etc.

Its like saying Superman doesn't need to breathe underwater and can swim, so what's the point of Aquaman.
Aquaman can talk to fish.

And that's why I said "had" a similar problem. DC course corrected after having them basically equal for years.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Doesn't Thanos give a whole speech on the planet Titan, which was his home planet in Infinity War? It very much suggests he is a native of that planet.

I suppose the trope I'm referring to is more over used in comics themselves, rather than specifically the MCU. So Martians in DC but then Thor, Groot and Drax are all stronger than humans just by being aliens. They are not Thanos powered but their superpower is "being an alien".

I swear there was a "how come we never meet any aliens less powerful than humans? joke in one of the Guardians films but I may be mis-remembering.

Anyway, this may all be explained later but as of Infinity War and Endgame, the only assumption I can make for Thanos being stronger than anyone else in the galaxy is that he is just naturally that strong. Then begs the question, are all Titans/ Titonians/Titanese super strong?

Anyway, doesn't matter, it's really a personal gripe.

In the comics, and I suspect the MCU will dive into this as well, Thanos is from Titan but he (at least partly) is a Deviant, an offshoot of the Eternals.

It's why I wouldn't be shocked to see him referenced (or probably even a cameo) in Eternals, as that movie unquestionably will be getting into the Eternals vs. Deviants mythos, as its central to who the Eternals are.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I think the movie did a pretty good job showing how. Thanos was very strong himself and fought in a much more precise and clever way. His hits were targeted towards weak points that could (and did) incapacitate Hulk quickly. I believe Hulk would win a prolonged fight but he doesn't have the brains to counter opponents that use strategy.

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't really about strength even, it was technique.

But yeah, the real crux of it is you don't make your lead bad guy into an absolute jobber in your opening scene, because then it takes away any notion of threat that they hold going forward.

Not to name names or anything.

This is one thing that bothered me about Zack Snyder's Justice League, where you have Darksied nearly killed in the flashback when he first invades Earth by a guy Diana soloed in her own movie.

It's not a good way to set up the main villain as someone to be feared who would challenge a group of heroes teaming up.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

Yes, he was a native of that planet but there's no indication everyone from that planet was as strong as he was. In fact the opposite is true. A mass extinction event hit Titan and Thanos was the sole member of his race that survived it.

As for Comics, comics thanos isn't an alien at all. Eternals are earth native.

Thor isn't an alien. The Asgardians are "something else" closely linked to earth as the Olympians are. Thor himself is only half Asgardian- his mother is Gaea, planet earth itself.

Drax is a human born on earth, but altered into a weapon to kill Thanos by Thanos' father.

Groot is a sentient tree and about as strong as a bigass tree would be if it could walk around.

The only assumption I can make for Thanos being stronger than anyone else in the galaxy is that he is just naturally that strong. Then begs the question, are all Titans/ Titonians/Titanese super strong?

The answer is no, since Thanos was the only survivor of the planetary catastrophe. There's something unique about him but what that is wasn't explained.

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Madman use to body Hulk all the time, Madman base is twice as strong as Hulk's but he doesn't get stronger as he get madder. So what he would do is just put in the work fast and knock out Hulk before he can get mad
18efbf88371568c8471d30d38b8de77b.jpg

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
If they didn't show this fight at the very beginning, everyone would be thinking "Why doesn't Hulk just take this guy out?" the entire movie.

I always thought it was due to having the power stone, but he seemingly never uses it unlike in following battles. He's just that damn strong.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I've always interpreted Hulk as being a super strong, but undisciplined, fighter. Thanos is crazy space God who's been at war for countless years. So it seemed about right.

More than that I see Hulks biggest power being his nigh invulnerability. You simple can't kill him, even if you win the fight.

I'm also not sure what state Hulk was at during that fight. His time on Sakar had tons of fighting, but they were somewhat staged gladiator fights. Thor was winning as Hulk had gotten complacent. Fenris was the only real fight he had after fighting Thor but before Thanos. I do wish we'd had a rematch after Hulk got his shit together.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I've always assumed it was a Dragonball Z power level type thing. Bigger muscles =/= win every fight.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
people describing Hulk as Worf or Yamcha

damn

The bigger question/issue is how badly they nerfed Vision.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they've nerfed Hulk in the MCU generally, he could easily have gotten way to strong via power creep if they just let him run loose. Takes all the stakes out of it.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Madman use to body Hulk all the time, Madman base is twice as strong as Hulk's but he doesn't get stronger as he get madder. So what he would do is just put in the work fast and knock out Hulk before he can get mad
18efbf88371568c8471d30d38b8de77b.jpg

The base strength of Kurse was 400% that of Thor, and he was invulnerable to everything that wasn't cold iron.

Kurse and Hulk never went head to head, but its not hard to make the argument Hulk gets his ass kicked against that thing.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's basically meant to directly undercut the first Avengers where Hulk was the trump card. Loki even introduces him with "we have a hulk". So yeah, kind of the Worf effect where he's used as a punching bag to show how dangerous Thanos is.

Though it also highlights one of my issues I sometimes have with the MCU. I feel like a fist fight with a guy who can do this:
CookedGentleFireant-size_restricted.gif

Should look different from a boxing match

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The base strength of Kurse was 400% that of Thor, and he was invulnerable to everything that wasn't cold iron.

Kurse and Hulk never went head to head, but its not hard to make the argument Hulk gets his ass kicked against that thing.
Remember when Kurse was just twice as strong as Thor and Beyonder powered him up for shits and girls? Had Thor and BRB hiding behind a little girl, smh

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
When it comes to heroes it's true. The only one in Marvel who really beats him is the Sentry and that's because he's a gimmick character.

Not true at all. Blue Marvel knocked out 1610 Hulk in a single shot. 616 and 1610 were shown to be equivalent during Secret Wars when the two fought.

At least one of the Hyperions is exactly as strong as BM is and there are 2 to 3 of them on Earth.

Current Thor has the Odin force and is far more powerful than The Hulk is- but even when he didn't Thor had a belt of strength that doubled his power, and a "warrior madness" state that was farther than this.

And World War Hulk (the strongest version of him so far) was stated on panel to not be as powerful as a fully unleashed Ghost Rider who *chose* not to stop him at that time as he was only concerned with punishing the guilty. Hulk's revenge crusade was justifiable by his standards.

Edit: and it should go without saying that the cosmic tier class of heroes are well past him. Surfer drops black holes and throws stars at people when he gets cheesed off. Hulk isn't in the class that can survive that kind of damage much less dish it out.

Last edited:

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
The hull fight has neither really bothered me, I just put it down to Thanos was roughly the same strength, probably slightly stronger, but more importantly he knew how to fight, if you watch where he punches first, straight for the chin.

What I've always wondered though, is how he beat Thor, was he forced to use the power stone or not?
This is my take away too. Thanos uses form and technique to whip his ass. Hulk has always gotten by on rage+strength and doesn't actually know how to fight.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
It's basically meant to directly undercut the first Avengers where Hulk was the trump card. Loki even introduces him with "we have a hulk". So yeah, kind of the Worf effect where he's used as a punching bag to show how dangerous Thanos is.

Though it also highlights one of my issues I sometimes have with the MCU. I feel like a fist fight with a guy who can do this:
CookedGentleFireant-size_restricted.gif

Should look different from a boxing match

I love this one because its a great example of power scaling. Its meant to show just how powerful Hulk is as a climactic moment. And by all accounts it does just that.

By the time of the climax of Endgame Ant Man (as giant man) casually smacks one of these into next week with such complete ease almost nobody notices.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Pretty disappointed in MCU Hulk. For years I waited for that Russo treatment and instead got back Assistant Hulk there to deliver that classic Marvel levity and exposition dump.

Oh well, hopefully Banner's fall here gives way for some She-Hulk love. He can go do his Q thing for his cousin.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Did you ever see that clip of the football player getting his ass whooped by the trained fighter?

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
He had the power stone.

This is it.

Also, in Age of Ultron, Hulk is coming out of Wanda's hex and beginning to turn back into banner when Tony knocks him out. There's a brief moment when he looks around and realizes what he's done.

Also, yeah, it's two fictional characters and the plot was just written that way. That's probably the best answer.

Last edited: