M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I'm in a COD SP type of mode lately and I remember I never played this, only the multiplayer. Sounds like it may have leaned towards being mixed or slightly negative? Any impressions would be grand, thanks!

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Awful, the most incoherent of the bunch. There is some video that explains "oh the answers to everything are hidden!" which is interesting but the experience of playing it is terrible and unenjoyable.

I love CoD campaigns, but it's the worst, by a long shot. They're trying to do the trippiness of BO1 without the good writing, set pieces, or memorable characters. Train wreck lmao

VoltySquirrel

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely love it despite conceding it's actually not that good. It depends entirely on how much you can vibe with the vibe the game gives off. This article in particular reflects how I feel about it a lot. https://www.vice.com/da/article/qbx...eflects-the-desperate-side-of-video-games-550

EDIT: more than anything, I'll say this for it: it's at least trying to do something unique, which few CoD campaigns really do (I say that as someone who enjoys most of them).

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fucking hated it. First there was this whole overlong intro with Chris Meloni repeatedly saying "train go boom" and then in the end it was basically all a dream

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Well, it's a COD campaign. Same gameplay, same kind of setpieces, same type of one dimensional characters and everything else. The story is pretty interesting even though it doesn't really make sense until the very last words spoken but that's also assuming you remember some dialogue spoken in literally only the first two levels and are paying attention during some other incoherent stuff.

That being said, some of the setpieces were legitimately fun and it's pretty memorable and the gameplay in the campaign is on the better side for COD gameplay in my opinion. If you can get the game cheaply I definitely think it's worth a play

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
its horrible on many levels :
- its CLEARY written to be deep but it was cut and recut because video game stories and cross media franchise so you are thrown in and its obviously missing tons of shit but you are expected to get on board as if you were born into this universe but that train never stops for you and tons of shit never gets explained.
- it has many good and original ideas and the best of it, like many people here will tell you, is obviously the Frozen Forrest concept and level. Its so good, unique and a payoff the best concept of the game, its so meta and genius in its use of imagery and throwback... it feels like a accident in this giant mess, making the entire campaign more frustrating because there is glimpse of brillance in there.
- but the gameplay is generic and forgettable. If only one level stands out, its not a good campaign. Get Infinite Warfare, that's a killer sp.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It had some interesting ideas. But I'd go as far as to say it's the only campaign in the series that comes close to being bad. Like even Ghosts, with it's nonsense story, at least was fun.

OP
OP
M. Wallace

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Thanks for the replies. Not gonna lie, all these "it's awful" and "terrible" takes makes me want to play it even more.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I keep meaning to replay the campaign of this one day, because I remember liking it quite a bit, and then reading threads about the game and realizing basically no one agreed with me! It genuinely made me wonder if there was something wrong with me because people hate the campaign near-universally for multiple reasons, and I can't really say they're wrong (it's not like I found "train go boom" particularly amazing either) but I also can't shake the feeling that it's one of the better COD campaigns I've played because at least it was interesting and played with some neat ideas.

Weirdly, the one thing that made me like it less was when people came up with a post-facto theory for a bunch of stuff that then got semi-verified by people who worked on the game. That, I felt, seemed too clever for its own good, but I also just didn't think the game needed it; let it be this impressionistic, faintly terrifying mess that has no satisfying explanation. Better that than dying four hundred times trying to roll barrels of napalm down a hill in Black Ops 1 so I could eventually hear "THE NUMBERS MASON."

EDIT: Fuck it, it's the long weekend.

EpezcS0.png

Last edited:

VoltySquirrel

Oct 25, 2017
I keep meaning to replay the campaign of this one day, because I remember liking it quite a bit, and then reading threads about the game and realizing basically no one agreed with me! It genuinely made me wonder if there was something wrong with me because people hate the campaign near-universally for multiple reasons, and I can't really say they're wrong (it's not like I found "train go boom" particularly amazing either) but I also can't shake the feeling that it's one of the better COD campaigns I've played because at least it was interesting and played with some neat ideas.

Weirdly, the one thing that made me like it less was when people came up with a post-facto theory for a bunch of stuff that then got semi-verified by people who worked on the game. That, I felt, seemed too clever for its own good, but I also just didn't think the game needed it; let it be this impressionistic, faintly terrifying mess that has no satisfying explanation. Better that than dying four hundred times trying to roll barrels of napalm down a hill in Black Ops 1 so I could eventually hear "THE NUMBERS MASON."
I don't want to spoil it for OP if he does play it but the mission focusing around Katee Sackhoff's character is something I would never expect to see in any AAA shooter, let alone a CoD campaign. That's gotta count for something.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The worst campaign for a COD I've played, the MP I enjoyed though

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
I used to buy CoD yearly just for the campaign. This killed that and I haven't played one since.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Easily one of the weakest. Mostly due to what could have been an interesting story told very poorly and in an overly confusing manner.

Gameplay and setpieces are fine and there's a couple of levels that are actually pretty memorable like the one where you go inside that lady's mind, a lot of the characters are kind of awful though. The MP and zombies are pretty great tho fwiw.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Let me just say that I've been in the same mood, been replaying through CoD games left and right, and BO3 is one of the few that I don't want to ever replay again, it was pretty damn mediocre at release, there's no need for me to go through that again.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
its horrible on many levels :
- its CLEARY written to be deep but it was cut and recut because video game stories and cross media franchise so you are thrown in and its obviously missing tons of shit but you are expected to get on board as if you were born into this universe but that train never stops for you and tons of shit never gets explained.
- it has many good and original ideas and the best of it, like many people here will tell you, is obviously the Frozen Forrest concept and level. Its so good, unique and a payoff the best concept of the game, its so meta and genius in its use of imagery and throwback... it feels like a accident in this giant mess, making the entire campaign more frustrating because there is glimpse of brillance in there.
- but the gameplay is generic and forgettable. If only one level stands out, its not a good campaign. Get Infinite Warfare, that's a killer sp.
Everything I could possibly say. Black Ops II at least somewhat did well at being deep. This one tried way too hard at it and failed epically, to the point the story is almost impossible to follow without a guide.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
also i think fighting robots in a Call of Duty game is super boring.

Advanced Warfare and Infinite Warfare at least had like mechs and stuff but you largely fought humans the whole time, but this has actual robots.

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
Black Ops III had one of the worst fps campaigns that I ever played

MP was cool tho, and the last cod that I really put time in online

PinkCrayon

Oct 25, 2017
Not great, but it is fucking bonkers at points and the thing that happens at the end of the first mission made me gasp when I first played it.

Willin

Oct 28, 2017
That World War II level inside Cyberspace or whatever was cool, Christopher Meloni was way too good for this shit.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
"oh god, it's like a wrecking ball of emotions!"

I will never forget Christopher Meloni delivering that line. One of the worst campaigns ever.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
I never played BOIII either but honestly it sounds pretty bonkers based off what people are saying and is only making me want to play it.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It's painfully dull nonsense and a waste of four hours. You'd be better off watching paint dry or banging your head against the wall.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in a COD SP type of mode lately and I remember I never played this, only the multiplayer. Sounds like it may have leaned towards being mixed or slightly negative? Any impressions would be grand, thanks!

I've played every single Call of Duty campaign. Black Ops III was the only one I didn't finish, it bored me. I may go back and finish it some day, but its not good.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
image1.jpg
It made about as much goddamn sense and DUCT TAPING SHOTGUN SHELLS TO YOUR SHOULDERS! Seriously, look at this. This is BLOPSIII in a nutshell.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Godawful in every way. There are few games I trash as much as the Blops 3 campaign and I'm usually relatively easy to please with CoD campaigns.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I quite liked it for how different the story tried to be for a cod game.

It has bits that made little to no sense but it was interesting at least.

Is no infinite warfare though.