• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Here's my vision of how it might work. Kind of torn on whether Kentucky would be in Heartlandia or the United Southern Confederation. Also torn on whether New Mexico and Arizona would go with California or Texas. I kind of suspect surrounding states might gravitate toward Texas. So maybe even Louisiana and Arkansas would join Greater Texas.

tZQplLW.png

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
No I'm saying people from states like New York, Massachusetts, etc would come in less numbers and instead go to other major cities like NYC, Boston, Chicago. I'm strictly speaking of losing out of the cream of the crop within the current United States outside of California. It would be a brain drain for them.
As long as California is creating high-paying jobs, has world-class universities, and is immigrant-friendly, a steady supply of talent is not an issue, whether that talent comes from other countries in the former US or elsewhere. I sure as shit would immigrate out of Louisville, KY if blue states weren't propping us up. Plus, if CA didn't have the burden of seeing its income taxes being taken out of state, it would have a lot more money to spend on social safety nets and education, making CA an even more attractive place to live, work, and train.

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Here's my vision of how it might work. Kind of torn on whether Kentucky would be in Heartlandia or the United Southern Confederation. Also torn on whether New Mexico and Arizona would go with California or Texas. I kind of suspect surrounding states might gravitate toward Texas. So maybe even Louisiana and Arkansas would join Greater Texas.

tZQplLW.png

New California, Greater Texas, and New England Order and going to be hurting for farmland like crazy.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
As long as California is creating high-paying jobs, has world-class universities, and is immigrant-friendly, a steady supply of talent is not an issue, whether that talent comes from other countries in the former US or elsewhere. I sure as shit would immigrate out of Louisville, KY if blue states weren't propping us up. Plus, if CA didn't have the burden of seeing its income taxes being taken out of state, it would have a lot more money to spend on social safety nets and education, making CA an even more attractive place to live, work, and train.
And then when they run out of water and power? Will people still want to come?

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
The federal constitution is pretty clear, a state can leave the union but only if 2/3'ds (34 states) of the rest of the states approve. That's unlikely to happen, so it would trigger a civil war. The constitution is also pretty clear that a state cannot divide into smaller states without congressional approval.

FLEABttn

Oct 25, 2017
Using existing state lines is lazy when doing these. Northern Virginia would never follow the rest of Virginia to go join the south. New Mexico doesn't want to be part of Old Mexico, let alone Texas.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only way for that to happen IS to be a Pacific thing with most people wanting It and with approval of the Congress, Supreme Court etc. I believe.

The army of US is strong and unified. Armed Separatists would be supressed fast.

The only other way is military coup and division of the army, but for this to happen in the US army... This wont happen, the army budget IS very high and they are happy with the situation.

I think its Impossible unless a extremely bad world economic crisis as bad or worse than 1929 happens.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Water can be bought from poor neighbors who need foreign currency to prop up their shitty economies. Why would power be an issue?
You start buying water then your available extra money you mentioned goes away. Power is an issue now in California. Take away all the sources external to California and its a huge barrier or you are paying huge rates like with the water.

Oct 25, 2017
Some states would likely turn to Canada or Mexico and join them.
There is no way a state (or coalition of states) succeeds the US and then immediately and willingly joins another nation.

Texas is too proud to join Mexico. California doesn't need anyone else. Washington and Oregon might try to form a Cascadia which includes BC, but they wouldn't join the entirety of Canada. There's no serious succession movement that I'm aware in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, New York, or New Hampshire. Canada doesn't need another Alberta in Idaho, Montana, and the Dakotas. Maybe Arizona, New Mexico, Maine and Vermont? (I don't know the political will in those states very well.)

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
While I highly doubt it were to happen, if it were I dont think solo states/countries would be common at all.

That said, if something like this were to ever happen there would be a descension into a civil war so quickly. It would not end well at all.

Some states would likely turn to Canada or Mexico and join them. Others would probably band together to an extent. I would not be surprised in the slightest of foreign powers intervened both overtly and covertly. China, Russia, and EU powers would likely all be involved.

It would not end well. At all.

As many problems as this country has, things would become so much worse if any state tried to become independant.
It might happen more peacefully than most people would expect imo. The real violence would likely come from the preceding social and economic instability that fuels separatist movements (something like the current domestic terrorist attacks we're currently experiencing but amplified several times over to the point dozens are dying every single day over this particular issue). It would be so bad that many in the public would simply not entertain the idea of killing fellow Americans they don't even want to share a government with. I can't help feeling like the Republicans are going to push this country into a depression so terrible that the government simply won't have the funding necessary to militarily keep the union from splitting anyway. The country is already being strained by gerrymandering and the electoral college as is. A real depression (and not just a recession) will definitely send cities and states over the edge socially and financially. This would be something decades in the making, though. I'm talking 2050 and beyond.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
It would be better if other places joined the Union as most of the likeliest additions would tip the scales towards the progressive side. Just think if Canada and the US merged. It become a massive powerhouse, skewed to the left.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
You start buying water then your available extra money you mentioned goes away. Power is an issue now in California. Take away all the sources external to California and its a huge barrier or you are paying huge rates like with the water.

Building more power plants is simply not a long term problem. As for water, can you name any rich, arid country on the face of the planet that's being spent into poverty by water imports? It's just not realistic. They could pay a relatively very high rate and still come away massively better off from not having their tax money redistributed by DC anymore.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
California has more people in it than all of Canada...in a smaller area. I think they would do fine
Not sure how that helps the water issue.
Building more power plants is simply not a long term problem. As for water, can you name any rich, arid country on the face of the planet that's being spent into poverty by water imports? It's just not realistic. They could pay a relatively very high rate and still come away massively better off from not having their tax money redistributed by DC anymore.
Can you name another arid country that consumes as much water as California? They would also have to pay more tax on the goods they are now exporting to parts of the former United States. There are too many negatives to just hand wave and say it won't matter.

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
It's bizarre that so many assume they would be allowed to freely immigrate to the newly-created progressive utopia. These areas supposedly want to get away from the rest of the country, and then turn around and invite millions of them in?? The small, high GDP, and high HDI countries don't have open borders and don't have a policy of letting anyone in who wants in. Much of the crisis in Europe is driven by popular resistance to "immigrant-friendly" policies in the first place.

Texas and California have huge agriculture output.
Why would the agricultural regions necessarily join the new countries, rather than stay with their much more ideologically-similar neighbors right across an invisible border?

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of amusing to me to see people lumping entire regions together as if there is a unified approach to politics amongst them. Even within "Blue" states there is large divides that would not make this a cut and dry thing with state borders. California & New York can be very different once you get out of the major hubs.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
It's bizarre that so many assume they would be allowed to freely immigrate to the newly-created progressive utopia. These areas supposedly want to get away from the rest of the country, and then turn around and invite millions of them in?? The small, high GDP, and high HDI countries don't have open borders and don't have a policy of letting anyone in who wants in. Much of the crisis in Europe is driven by popular resistance to "immigrant-friendly" policies in the first place.

Why would the agricultural regions necessarily join the new countries, rather than stay with their much more ideologically-similar neighbors right across an invisible border?

Nationalism

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
Why go that extremely tough route when something like the EU could be far more feasible anyway? All the separatist talk recently has made me brainstorm ideas of some sort of North American Union or Federation (NAU or NAF) eventually coming about as a way for the fractured North American region to retain clout in a world where China has the largest economy and military budget. It'd definitely include traditional blue states (except maybe Pennsylvania and Ohio) and Canada. Unlike the EU we're way more culturally, politically and linguistically similar to boot (seriously, blue states and canada are a completely different monster compared to the south). This stuff is all so far off we'll all be old and crusty, so it doesn't feel as far-fetched to me.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Also from Canada's perspective... west states have more population than all of Canada. California alone has a higher population than all of Canada. That's what makes it impossible, regardless of how like minded we are in terms of progressive ideals.

So you're saying that Canada would oppose admitting California, Oregon, Washington, etc. into the country?

They have a bigger population and bigger GDP than us. Plus cultural differences

Canada has a ready made infrastructure of almost everything that California would want. Why reinvent the wheel when Canada has already done it?

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine the New York tri-state area and some of the other North East states would unite into one country.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I think realistically that the liberal states would just join Canada while the rest do whatever.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ

tZQplLW.png

This is exactly how imagined it would be

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Not sure how that helps the water issue.

Can you name another arid country that consumes as much water as California? They would also have to pay more tax on the goods they are now exporting to parts of the former United States. There are too many negatives to just hand wave and say it won't matter.

They border an ocean and we have 21st century technology. That problem has already been solved. Building out more water desalination plants is just something that would be part of the whole process.

Plus, its not like California has water pipelines coming in from other states that would be at risk of being shut down. The concept doesn't exist as of right now anyways. So it would be business as usual with the sources they have already been using

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
They border an ocean and we have 21st century technology. That problem has already been solved. Building out more water desalination plants is just something that would be part of the whole process.

Plus, its not like California has water pipelines coming in from other states that would be at risk of being shut down. The concept doesn't exist as of right now anyways. So it would be business as usual with the sources they have already been using
How could it possibly be business as usual when the trading entities are now separate countries. That doesn't make sense.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Can you name another arid country that consumes as much water as California?They would also have to pay more tax on the goods they are now exporting to parts of the former United States. There are too many negatives to just hand wave and say it won't matter.

Eh, 80% of CA's water use is going to farms. Push water prices onto farmers, and CA will simply become less competitive in agriculture. And that's assuming neighboring poor countries can't come to a water agreement anyway. It's not like Colorado gains anything by *not* selling water to California. But the idea that CA can't support city water use with the water sources already found in CA is silly. The economically productive cities of Southern CA would be fine.

As for your argument about import taxes — sure. Same goes for red countries trying to sell ag products to blue states. Problem is, what products do Dixie or the Rockies produce that the NE and Midwest can't grow thenselves? The Midwest could feed itself with IL and WI alone. Same for NE with PA and NY state. Tons of corn growers there. They'd probably still be net ag exporters. Red states would be the ones over a barrel. Throw in poor education and the wage and human development gap between north/west vs. the South would only grow. Losing federal yankee dollars would be a huge blow to Dixie.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, 80% of CA's water use is going to farms. Push water prices onto farmers, and CA will simply become less competitive in agriculture. And that's assuming neighboring poor countries can't come to a water agreement anyway. It's not like Colorado gains anything by *not* selling water to California. But the idea that CA can't support city water use with the water sources already found in CA is silly. The economically productive cities of Southern CA would be fine.

As for your argument about import taxes — sure. Same goes for red countries trying to sell ag products to blue states. Problem is, what products do Dixie or the Rockies produce that the NE and Midwest can't grow thenselves? The Midwest could feed itself with IL and WI alone. Same for NE with PA and NY state. Tons of corn growers there. They'd probably still be net ag exporters. Red states would be the ones over a barrel. Throw in poor education and the wage and human development gap between north/west vs. the South would only grow. Losing federal yankee dollars would be a huge blow to Dixie.
Yeah sure. I agree. California would fare much better than any of the deep red states.