Should any “exclusive” Nintendo Switch Plus game be made available as a Cloud Version to base models

• Yes

Votes: 373 56.0%
  • No

Votes: 293 44.0%

• Total voters

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I seriously doubt there are gonna be exclusives at all. If what we've heard so far about the new Switch is all there is to it, I'd just expect higher image quality on the new version and that's it. They should still be playable on the OG Switch.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I guess I don't really get the question.

If you're a bystander, why would it matter?

If you own the pro, why would you be disappointed for others to have the option to play some of the games the same way?

If you own the OG Switch, I can see where it could be frustrating if third parties abandon the OG to cloud ports entirely, but that's highly unlikely for the vast majority of third party titles. A cloud title is a much harder sell than a native port, and most third parties won't want to abandon the market potential of nearly 100M users.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
You're deluded if you think there will be Switch Plus exclusives from Nintendo. Why would they exclude 80+ million people from buying a new game? It ain't how Nintendo works folks.

I don't think anyone is expecting exclusives from Nintendo. Especially not anytime soon. Maybe way down the li e when a successor is released we could get a Fire Emblem Warriors situation.

People are expecting third party games on other platforms that would be very difficult to port to the OG Switch.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I seriously doubt there are gonna be exclusives at all. If what we've heard so far about the new Switch is all there is to it, I'd just expect higher image quality on the new version and that's it. They should still be playable on the OG Switch.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a big demanding third party or two launch exclusive on the new model.

From there I don't really see Nintendo preventing companies from doing it, but I don't see many companies jumping to make much of any games exclusive because of the massive portion of the install base they would be missing out on.

Glom

Feb 8, 2021
But they did have two or so of their games exclusive to New 3DS

But those were ports from more powerful hardware. No such Nintendo games exist relative to the Switch.

It would be good if people actually read the OP. It is clearly talking about games from more powerful platforms, not games developed exclusively for the Switch, such as 1st party.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Seems like a band aid option for owners of the original which kinda sucks for original owners. I think some companies would just not spend the time and investment to make a playable version on OG Switch even if it was possible if it became the norm.

My question also would be if the cloud version would come with the physical, pro version? Seeing as companies really like to rip off Nintedo users I wonder if they'd try and charge you seperately for physical for pro and cloud for OG.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I really hope so.

Cloud versions for the OG model, and games that actually take advantage of the improved hardware. Best case scenario for me, but I can see why people would be against it.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Seems like a band aid option for owners of the original which kinda sucks for original owners. I think some companies would just not spend the time and investment to make a playable version on OG Switch even if it was possible if it became the norm.

My question also would be if the cloud version would come with the physical, pro version? Seeing as companies really like to rip off Nintedo users I wonder if they'd try and charge you seperately for physical for pro and cloud for OG.
The fact of the matter is that there are quite a few games on other systems that just can't be ported to the existing Switch. If they were possible, they would likely be on the OG Switch already (Ex: RE7).

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
The fact of the matter is that there are quite a few games on other systems that just can't be ported to the existing Switch. If they were possible, they would likely be on the OG Switch already (Ex: RE7).
Oh yea I understand that. I think it would be a shame if companies started to default to creating a cloud version instead of considering a port. Things like Dragon Quest or Witcher 3 for example which were possible to port and well regarded but problably were quite an investment. I could see it being a hard sell to argue for a native port if a Cloud version is cheaper and easier to provide.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Oh yea I understand that. I think it would be a shame if companies started to default to creating a cloud version instead of considering a port. Things like Dragon Quest or Witcher 3 for example which were possible to port and well regarded but problably were quite an investment. I could see it being a hard sell to argue for a native port if a Cloud version is cheaper and easier to provide.
As others have said, the audience for the OG Switch is massive. If a native port for the OG Switch is possible, they'd go for it.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if there's a crossbuy option i'd be fine with it. if i bought a cloud version of a game, i'd want to get the native version for free when i upgrade to a switch pro.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
You're deluded if you think there will be Switch Plus exclusives from Nintendo. Why would they exclude 80+ million people from buying a new game? It ain't how Nintendo works folks.

Nintendo will stay on regular Switch. It's the third parties we're talking about. You simply cannot have Mafia 1 or Red Dead 2 running on regular Switch. It's either Switch Pro or none at all.

If you own the OG Switch, I can see where it could be frustrating if third parties abandon the OG to cloud ports entirely, but that's highly unlikely for the vast majority of third party titles. A cloud title is a much harder sell than a native port, and most third parties won't want to abandon the market potential of nearly 100M users.

By the time PS5 and XSX gen grows big enough, third parties will abandon the old Switch regardless. Games will be too demanding to have downports of. Even something like The Witcher 3 took a year to bring to Switch.

But as everyone said, many of Resetera members don't use their Switches for anything beside first party titles and indies. It's natural for those folk to understand to concept of this. Switch Pro is clearly not for them. It's Nintendo's attempt to make presence in the mainstream gaming area. Switch has already missed many important titles like Call of Duty, Battlefield and Star Wars games. It's totally make sense for Nintendo to want a slice of that cake.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I'm vaguely expecting games to be tailored to the pro, released on OG but optimisiation slipping on OG. From the third party perspective at least.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Just realized something... PaulGaleNetwork. This is the person who leaked details about PSABR, right?
giphy.gif

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Cloud versions are honestly terrible.

I'd just prefer them to cut the cord, or have a low-spec version. Like, New Switch games can't be run portable on old switches, and run in portable mode docked.

OP
OP
PaulGaleNetwork
Dec 11, 2017
Just realized something... PaulGaleNetwork. This is the person who leaked details about PSABR, right?
giphy.gif

Correct Obi-wan! Haha. Yes it's me! Good seeing fellow gamers with memories. Fun times!

Cloud versions are honestly terrible.

I'd just prefer them to cut the cord, or have a low-spec version. Like, New Switch games can't be run portable on old switches, and run in portable mode docked.

Whatever Nintendo does, I hope it's consumer friendly and able to be understood by the majority.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
I don't care I am usually in favor of more options for ppl

if this is comparable to a ps4 pro jump it shouldn't be an issue but... this seems bigger than that? Could be mistaken

Dec 2, 2020
If the alternative was not getting them at all then sure, but I'd rather no exclusives in the first place

There will be a lot of PS4 + Xbox One ports that were simply impossible on the current Switch due to it's CPU. The new CPU could be up to an 8x improvement then you probably have double the GPU power, double the ram (with at least double the memory bandwidth). It's probably going to be an enormous leap in tech over the original and that's ignoring DLSS which will take 1080p games to 4k when docked.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
ps4 pro had no exclusives so why should switch pro or plus or whatever
The difference between the Playstation 4 and Playstation 4 Pro or Xbox One and Xbox One X is not the same universe as the difference between the current Nintendo Switch and the Playstation 5/Xbox Series X.

The Switch is ALREADY completely locked out of ports from the new-gen consoles, so if the new Switch isn't it is getting exclusives by default.

OP
OP
PaulGaleNetwork
Dec 11, 2017
But with an actually desirable upgrade

I liked both my launch 3DS and Majora's Mask New 3DS XL, but feel like this Nintendo Switch revision could potentially be more important for people to upgrade to.

I don't see how, it allows games that wouldn't otherwise be feasible for the base Switch to be ported over. I'd rather have RE7 on the Switch Pro than not have RE7 on any Switch period.

Very true and definitely what I was trying to convey!

I don't think it would hurt anyone if they didn't. And it wouldn't be new for Nintendo to make certain games exclusive for certain models. They've been doing that since the DS days.

That's right...and even Game Boy Color.

I don't have much faith in Nintendo when it comes to online stuff... Also game streaming seems a long way off in Australia. Our internet is too crappy (thanks to LibNat shitheads) and the cost of server hosting is expensive.

What type of internet speeds to you get?

I can't believe so many of you are a-ok with cloud games; it's like an extra layer of bullshit on the bullshit that is digital software.

At some point in time those cloud servers aren't gonna be up anymore, meaning the $60 you dropped on Super Mario New Wacky Nonsense 4D doesn't work anymore.

At least a digitally purchased game is still playable once the store goes offline, you don't even get that luxury with cloud games.

I think that most agree that cloud gaming is their least desirable, but if it's that or nothing, having the option to play in some capacity beats missing out on an experience for some.

Considering the Switch is only four years old, I imagine people would have a right to feel pretty annoyed or angry about Nintendo leaving them behind on certain games - or allowing other companies to. The portability of the Switch is one of the primary selling points of the device, so a cloud version seems like a pretty poor compromise.

I'm extremely doubtful Nintendo would go this route in the first place. I must admit I might pay money to see a Nintendo-designed and run cloud gaming service in action though, lol.

The portability factor is definitely huge, but part of that portable nature is still being in your house and in different rooms...so at least in those cases, cloud gaming would still work. It would be on the more difficult side to have cloud access on a car ride, however.

How would a 80+gb game come out on a cart? SE won't even use 32gb ones in the US.

Similar to how Doom had part of the game on a cartridge and part (the multiplayer) as a download mandatory situation, Square-Enix could very likely compress a lot of Final Fantasy XV onto a 32gb cartridge, with an "on the box note" that a mandatory X amount of gb of storage space is needed to download the rest of the game. Also, Nintendo Switch's cartridges are only going to get cheaper. Not that anyone is rushing to use 64gb ones, but a couple of years from now, I wouldn't be surprised to see certain titles utilize them (or like I said earlier, split the game up).

Except it'll be chicken and egg all over again. If there's not enough user-base, then it won't matter that DLSS is a thing.

Hopefully Nintendo launches Nintendo Switch Plus right alongside The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2, with the former showing just how mind-blowing of an impact it has on the latter. This, along with other games that resonate well with fans and we could be looking at a very strong selling "enhanced" model.

No one wants Cloud 3D Mario or Zelda, they are thinking Resident Evil 8, 9, Yakuza 7, 8 etc in case they can be ported to the "Switch Plus", but not to the Switch.

I think this makes sense as long as you only have to buy one copy regardless of what system you have. Just that you can't play it natively on the original Switch.

Yeah, even if it's a case where the eShop or cartridge you get, that will work on your eventual Nintendo Switch Plus, in the meantime, allows access to a cloud version of the game on your current Nintendo Switch or Lite.

Under the current implementation of cloud games on the Switch, you pay to have access to the game for a predetermined number of days. Nobody is under the impression that these will be available forever.

Right. Maybe making the games $50 for cloud versions, with the understanding that they may/will one day leave, is a softening blow. Perhaps it gives you a discount for if you buy the game digitally in the future. Or best option is that when you get the title on eShop or in cartridge format, it comes with cloud access to said title.

Well actually I'm talking about OG Switch owners getting the shaft, I actually quite like the N3DS

I liked and still enjoy my New Nintendo 3DS XL too.

I don't like the idea about buying cloud games on a portable, since you may not have a good connection to the internet all the time. But if that's the only console the person have... and there's no way to make the game run on the original hardware, then I'm in.

Me too. I love the bigger screens and all the additional buttons. Shame Nintendo didn't add 2nd stick support for Kid Icarus.

I'm glad you see it as a "if it's the only console a person has and is their only option to play it" situation, because that's what I was getting at. And I agree, it would have been nice to have Kid Icarus work with the second stick on my New 3DS XL.

Mid gen refreshes are obnoxious enough without exclusives (see Ghost of Tsushima's frame rate drops on the base PS4). I really hope there aren't Switch games that aren't on the older model.

I see where you're coming from. I sit in the boat of, the more content and options, the better. Cool though.

If this is just a "Pro" model and not a new system, then there shouldn't be any exclusives.

Fair enough.

If there aren't regular switch version of their games I'll be pissed

Do you plan on upgrading to the new model?

Potential is a moot point, I'm pointing out that the N3DS had an exclusive the OG 3DS couldn't play, and I'm not so sure a Cloud version is a great solution for that. Better than nothing, I guess?

Yeah.

Why are people dragging up decades old examples? The DSi, N3DS or GBC are completely irrelevant when it comes to the switch. The market and the delivery mechanisms for content have changed significantly since even the N3DS.
The only relevant examples are the Pro versions of last Gen consoles and more importantly iPhones. If you want to see how intergenerational compatibility works then that is where to look. There will be a gradual fadeout of older hardware rather than a sudden cutoff point. I actually expect Nintendo themselves to drive adoption of the new system by releasing exclusives sooner rather than later.
Honestly offering a cloud version as an interim option for people on older hardware would be a good compromise. Since you already own the game, you could play it natively as soon as you upgrade, but in the mean time you can play the next best thing. I would expect Nintendo to tie this to NSO, as streaming is a non negligible cost.
Again speculation. Pure speculation.

You nailed it. Exactly my thoughts and thanks for commenting!

I was honestly kind of blown away how well the trial versions of Hitman 3 and Control run even on my dusty 50mbit connection (which I actually upgraded to 250mbit since then). Very playable and while the image quality isn't perfect it's far better than most natively running Switch ports look.

If the pricing wasn't ridiculous (I'm not going to spend 70€ for a cloud version that will be discontinued sooner rather than later) I'd actually considering buying them.

Right!? They ran very well for me, too. If Nintendo made cloud versions cost lost or included them with purchases of digital versions, it'd be terrific.

I expect this will be on case by case basis for those third party publishers, for example if an online multiplayer game runs natively on Switch Pro but can't on the OG (like say Destiny 2), a cloud version would actually make sense since you need an internet connection anyway.

For single player games, that seems less likely overall imo.

Yeah, certain components could definitely make sense like you suggested with Destiny 2.

If it worked well, sure. But I don't see a lot of these third party developers going through all of that effort (maybe it isn't much idk) for a cloud version that very few people will go in on.

A small percentage of 90 million, like .005% of the owners, buying a heavy hitter game for Nintendo Switch, as a cloud only title, would still be a whopping 450,000 "copies" sold. That's not going to happen for every game, but if a publisher thinks they could bust out that type of number at $50 a pop on base models, while the "real" game sells for $60 on Nintendo Switch +, I can see them wanting that money.

doesn't seem likely given that the advances are likely to be in resolution and possibly frame rate rather than anything more profound, so cloud streaming itself would undermine the boost. hard to imagine that any games designed with the next switch in mind would run better enough in the cloud that you wouldn't rather just have a native version.

For certain titles that have yet to come to Nintendo Switch, it seems like developers are confident that they can't get it to run, even scaled down on the platform. A cloud version though? Maybe.

oh boy...a 90gb cartridge. sounds fun. Does it either cost $100 or will the cart only contains half the game and the player got to download the other half?

Before anyone retort me using 'muh compression'.....there's only so much you can compress...we are not living in HBO's silicon valley' world.....there's no real life pied piper......there's no magical 'middle-out' compression.

tumblr_o3vxhbKOoV1r6z1q5o5_400.gifv

32gb cartridges in 2021 cost less than they did in 2017. 64gb cartridges, I could see being in the wild, should a game be big enough that it needs it, within the next year or two...and at more acceptable costs. Add cartridge costs going down, the possibility of splitting the file size between cartridge and download (like has happened before), and some compression, I can't see any 100gb game in the world today, having an excuse to not be on Nintendo Switch Plus (if it's capable of running it), by 2023. If the system is able to replicate the success of the current one, it will have a big userbase in no time. Some developers were late to jump on the NS bandwagon and I don't think they want to miss the boat this time. We'll see!

A good way to screw over a 80+ millions user base lol

That's why I thought that having a game in some capacity was better than not having it at all.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I'd rather not have any exclusives at all. Every game should run natively in both models in some capacity, otherwise don't bother with it

Last edited:

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose it's better than not coming at all. I've never played a cloud game but I'd be interested to try.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
I think that the majority of "no" votes here are answering the wrong question– instead expressing that they don't want exclusive games to start with. Because otherwise, what's the harm? Better than not having it at all, as others have said. Some games simply won't be able to run on both models.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
How would I feel?

Bad. Obviously.

It's seems like a buckwild thing to do...which is why I have to believe that it is something Nintendo is definitely considering.

I am really dreading a switch upgrade. It's gonna be:
  1. Saves won't transfer over
  2. Licenses won't transfer over
  3. Accounts won't transfer over
  4. Screenshots you accidentally took will
  5. That demo you downloaded and forgot to play will be the only thing you can access.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Some pubs don't even want to use 16gb carts and people expect 32/64 ones to be used?

lol.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
If it's just a mid gen refresh, then no exclusive. I'm ok with my current Switch.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
How would I feel?

Bad. Obviously.

It's seems like a buckwild thing to do...which is why I have to believe that it is something Nintendo is definitely considering.

I am really dreading a switch upgrade. It's gonna be:
  1. Saves won't transfer over
  2. Licenses won't transfer over
  3. Accounts won't transfer over
  4. Screenshots you accidentally took will
  5. That demo you downloaded and forgot to play will be the only thing you can access.
You can already transfer all of those things

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
And there is the issue.

I would rather a Switch 2 vs a Switch Plus, Pro with exclusives. If it happens, one one hand I like that they are trying to get the most out of the new system. But....how would ppl with a current Switch take it that dont feel the need to get the new one.

I'm just glad I waited.
How would you feel if it's a Switch Plus with exclusives, then the following device is a Switch 3 while Nintendo continues to support the Switch Plus?
Right. I can see Breath of the Wild 2 run far more "properly" on NS+, but work just fine on base models.
If by "properly" you mean like Hyrule Warriors 3D, I don't see it. I imagine the Breath of the Wild sequel will have similar performance to the original on the base hardware. There's not really much need to push it further when the upgraded model is targeting 4K (and potentially a higher frame rate now that they're experimenting with Skyward Sword).
oh boy...a 90gb cartridge. sounds fun. Does it either cost $100 or will the cart only contains half the game and the player got to download the other half?

Before anyone retort me using 'muh compression'.....there's only so much you can compress...we are not living in HBO's silicon valley' world.....there's no real life pied piper......there's no magical 'middle-out' compression.

tumblr_o3vxhbKOoV1r6z1q5o5_400.gifv
Not just compression, but asset quality. You could slash assets (which make up the vast majority of game storage) to 1/4 the level of detail for the Switch and nobody would bat an eye. Compressing something that's closer to ~30-40 GB and maybe requiring a little extra be downloaded to get under 16 GB? Perfectly reasonable. Or if they're cheaper by then, 32 GB carts exist and should be borderline easy to fit the game in.

killa2max

May 17, 2018
Seattle, WA
No way in hell there are many exclusives for the Switch Pro. There might be a few small 1st party games, and maybe a few 3rd party games, but the OG Switch has just sold way too many units for them to actually go down that path.

OP
OP
PaulGaleNetwork
Dec 11, 2017
If it gets to that point then rather just call it the switch 2 instead of obfuscating the fact. Many region can't play cloud games due to latency so it would actively hurt them.

I suppose it makes sense for third party titles that need to be ported over but even if I could play it in my market I'd rather not get it. One of my biggest deciding factors for buying multi Plat games on switch is portability so cloud gaming just kills that.

I'd be interested to know how many first world switch owners have no access to a gaming pc or competitor consoles. That's the only market I see for these cloud ports.

Now exclusives would be a different story but I don't see many if any of those happening as it will just annoy existing customers for games that should already be optomized for the base hardware.

Would be nice seeing games with unlocked frame rates reach 60fps tho

What you said is true and that's that there is a good amount of people out there without the best internet. How all of the numbers of players break down would be fascinating to see.

Too messy (at least in 2021). Might be a viable solution to support older hardware in a few years time.

Perhaps as internet speeds become more reliable across the world...

Ideally a downgraded native version and cloud.
But it's up to the publisher, you can't force them.

A downgraded version that is still acceptable, would be most desirable.

I mean, it's Nintendo.

If it's Switch 2 and The Next Switch, it'll have exclusives like any other new console. Likely there'll be a period of limited cross-gen.

If it's Switch Plus, Super Switch, Switch Pro, etc...; It might have like 3 titles with significant upgrades and then they'll completely forget about it and you'll get your better resolution/framerate and like it.

Hey, Ninty can always grow and change, but no matter what, Nintendo is always going to Nintendo.

I don't think they're going to bother with Cloud versions. The tech could work, but a lot of people are biased against it, and the infrastructure in a lot of places is problematic.

It'll be interesting to see how the thing is marketed. I don't think it'll be a full on #2, but hey, it certainly could be.

Like I asked before...

I wouldn't expect Nintendo themselves to do any exclusives anytime soon (if ever). But third-party developers are already rumored to be bringing exclusives to the Switch Pro that wouldn't otherwise be possible on the OG Switch.

Yeah, third parties and their games is definitely far more likely than Nintendo's own.

True but I said PS4+ not pro. I don't think Pro level is possible in a handheld in 2023. Maybe? But I don't see Nintendo being the one to release a 4TF handheld.

honestly I'm not convinced Nintendo will even hit 2Ghz on the cpu. But like I said before and I think you agree, even a switch 2 as powerful; more or less, as the PS4, would be great

If a Nintendo Switch 2 would play Xbox Series S games at PS4 Pro levels, released in November of 2023 for $400, that'd be one helluva machine.

If they made exclusives for the minor bump in performance, Nintendo can go fuck themselves.

If those "exclusives" were still available on base models as cloud versions, would you still feel the same?

Angry, sad, disappointed.

I see. Good seeing a variety of opinions.

It wouldn't bother me at all.

That's good!

Based on the rumors, it doesn't seem like it'll be a minor bump. And even then, I would rather have the third-party games in question be on the Switch Pro than not on any Switch at all. We already know that Capcom tried & failed to port RE7 to the OG Switch (so other RE Engine games like RE2make, RE3make, & DMC5 that weren't made with the Switch in mind from the star likely won't fare any better), while the likes of GG Strive & Tekken 7 can't even hit 900p on the base PS4.

I'm glad you see it that way as well. Getting DMC5 out there on the system, even if only natively on the NS Plus, would be a good thing. And provided a cloud version of the game be made available on base models...perhaps at a more affordable cost, why not?

What? No, it doesn't seem like it. I don't think Nintendo is ditching the regular Switch and Switch lite 3 years from now to focus entirely on the Pro version, they're definitely going to release and market a proper successor, unless they want another Wii U situation.

Yeah, I think that Nintendo Switch 2 will eventually come out, with Nintendo still supporting the other models for a while into the new sequel console. I can't see them abandoning the base NS units any time soon.

If they make exclusive games to their "pro" system I'm gonna be pissed off.

What if Nintendo doesn't, but third parties do?

I think making game sexclusive to an updated version of the same console is bullshit, but I would those with the OG version rather have a cloud version than nothing at all.

Yeah, something is better than nothing.

wouldn't be Nintendo making exclusives for the revision (at least not in the next 3 years at least) but ports of third party games unable to come to the OG Switch.

Right.

I'd feel surprised that there were Switch pro exclusives.

Hopefully we find out during a big June Nintendo Direct!

There won't be Switch Plus exclusives.

Switch OG and Lite comprise too big a market.

I venture to guess that Wii U is still very much present in Nintendo's memory. Cutoffs like that will only happen with a very CLEAR new console.

Nintendo is on a roll right now and I'm sure they're being extra careful to not have another Wii U situation. Hopefully they have learned.

Nintendo most certainly won't, but third parties definitely will. And they'll be nothing more than quick port jobs, games that cannot run on base model.

We have two games previously leaked could be Switch Pro exclusive: Red Dead Redemption 2 and Borderlands 3.

Those two would be great to have on the new model. Give gamers more opportunities to play more games and for some titles, the first time capable of being played natively, on the go. Could you see Red Dead Redemption 2 and Borderlands 3 having cloud versions on the base NS platforms or not?

If we are strictly speaking of the high-end 3rd party titles, then I think that's a reasonable solution. Nintendo published titles should appear natively on all Switch hardware.

I agree.

I think many people in this thread are gonna be surprised. Assuming the Bloomberg DLSS story is correct, which it most likely will be, this new Switch will be a massive tech upgrade and completely incomparable to the New 3DS or DSi examples (makes no sense that everyone keeps bringing this up, a cutting-edge graphics tech vendor never made anything for those systems).

For first party Nintendo games, Nintendo will most likely not make exclusive games for this iteration as the type of games Nintendo makes do not require that level of power, given Nintendo's games go for more unique art-styles rather than the typically generic realistic graphics. They will however, create enhanced versions of games for the new Switch, but the graphical differences between OG Switch and this new Switch will be dramatic and incredibly noticeable, making the urge for most users to upgrade.

For third party games, however?....

OG Switch owners: be prepared to see an influx of cloud versions for new modern 3rd party games that simply cannot run on the original Switch as it is too weak of a system. Go look in the eShop today, there are a few examples out there already. There's no reason for anyone with an OG Switch to complain, as your system technically will be getting those games just delivered in a different format, the OG system is from 2017, mobile graphics hardware has dramatically improved since the original hardware and you can't realistically expect that model to last forever (again this is more geared towards 3rd party support)

Thank you! You get what we're about to receive and the potential within! If the reports are accurate, the leap will be significant and not taking advantage of the new capabilities to their fullest, would kind of be a shame. Give cloud versions which are better than nothing to people that can't upgrade yet and it's a win-win for everyone.

There absolutely will be third party games that can't run on the base Switch that will receive Pro ports.

If the 10th port of Resident Evil 4 can sell near a million copies on the Switch, Capcom isn't going to leave that money on the table for ports of 2, 3, 7, etc.

Absolutely.

A cloud version is effectively the same as it not coming out as far as I'm concerned, and I'd treat any such titles accordingly.

I couldn't even get through the title screen on Control.

What happened in your Control experience? It worked well for me. Unless it was an internet issue, then I understand that.

There will be software that appears on the Plus that doesn'ta appear on the OG. That is 100% going to happen.

Most publishers would want to make an OG version if it is feasible thougu for obvious reasons.

Of course. If they can scale their games to run across all models, that would be optimum.

I don't expect any Switch Plus/Pro exclusives. It does not make any sense from a business perspective to limit a new game to such a small userbase. Especially since the new hardware will be just a boosted version of the original one, I don't see why some games would be limited to just the Switch Plus.

Maybe if they just can't run at all on the base model. Hopefully this new system sells extremely well, so that 2 years into its lifespan, we're looking at 30+ million designated units of it out there. 150 million Nintendo Switch owners by March 3rd, 2024 with 30 million of them being Nintendo Switch Plus owners seems quite possible. And at that time, boom, cue Nintendo Switch 2 for release, while still supporting NS/NS Lite/NS+ until November, 2025.

Yeah perhaps not from Nintendo, but from third parties, perhaps.

Theanine

Oct 3, 2020
Why do they need to be on the cloud? Just add a lower graphical setting like PC games have been doing for decades.

I would never buy a game if I could only play it on the cloud. My internet speed can't handle it.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Some pubs don't even want to use 16gb carts and people expect 32/64 ones to be used?

lol.

Actually it's expected for games to have even smaller sizes with DLSS. All the devs have to do is port their game at lower resolutions and DLSS would do its magic of bringing the resolution to an acceptable level.

It's worth nothing that these "miracle ports" most likely won't feature 4K visuals. As they're demanding games, the juice DLSS frees would be used to get the game to run.

Why do they need to be on the cloud? Just add a lower graphical setting like PC games have been doing for decades.

I would never buy a game if I could only play it on the cloud. My internet speed can't handle it.

Control devs Remedy tried that but didn't work. So it's cloud only on base Switch. It might come to Switch Pro as a native port.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

This is the scenario I'm fine with. Third party games would most likely just be ports from other systems I already own.

If Nintendo does make exclusives for this this new model, and its not a Switch 2, then that number of exclusives would probably be small. It would be pretty shitty to have to buy a new system just to play a small handful of games that aren't available anywhere else.

I know this is an enthusiast forum, but I would bet the majority of people who play games, including myself, don't like spending money on new hardware if we don't have to. Its why I like long generations, and if I can play a game on a system I already own I'll just do that.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't think they should make any games for the "Switch Plus" that don't run natively on the regular base model Switch.

Oct 27, 2017
What you said is true and that's that there is a good amount of people out there without the best internet. How all of the numbers of players break down would be fascinating to see.

Perhaps as internet speeds become more reliable across the world...

A downgraded version that is still acceptable, would be most desirable.

It'll be interesting to see how the thing is marketed. I don't think it'll be a full on #2, but hey, it certainly could be.

Yeah, third parties and their games is definitely far more likely than Nintendo's own.

If a Nintendo Switch 2 would play Xbox Series S games at PS4 Pro levels, released in November of 2023 for $400, that'd be one helluva machine.

If those "exclusives" were still available on base models as cloud versions, would you still feel the same?

I see. Good seeing a variety of opinions.

That's good!

I'm glad you see it that way as well. Getting DMC5 out there on the system, even if only natively on the NS Plus, would be a good thing. And provided a cloud version of the game be made available on base models...perhaps at a more affordable cost, why not?

Yeah, I think that Nintendo Switch 2 will eventually come out, with Nintendo still supporting the other models for a while into the new sequel console. I can't see them abandoning the base NS units any time soon.

Yeah, something is better than nothing.

Right.

Hopefully we find out during a big June Nintendo Direct!

Nintendo is on a roll right now and I'm sure they're being extra careful to not have another Wii U situation. Hopefully they have learned.

Those two would be great to have on the new model. Give gamers more opportunities to play more games and for some titles, the first time capable of being played natively, on the go. Could you see Red Dead Redemption 2 and Borderlands 3 having cloud versions on the base NS platforms or not?

I agree.

Thank you! You get what we're about to receive and the potential within! If the reports are accurate, the leap will be significant and not taking advantage of the new capabilities to their fullest, would kind of be a shame. Give cloud versions which are better than nothing to people that can't upgrade yet and it's a win-win for everyone.

Absolutely.

What happened in your Control experience? It worked well for me. Unless it was an internet issue, then I understand that.

Of course. If they can scale their games to run across all models, that would be optimum.

Maybe if they just can't run at all on the base model. Hopefully this new system sells extremely well, so that 2 years into its lifespan, we're looking at 30+ million designated units of it out there. 150 million Nintendo Switch owners by March 3rd, 2024 with 30 million of them being Nintendo Switch Plus owners seems quite possible. And at that time, boom, cue Nintendo Switch 2 for release, while still supporting NS/NS Lite/NS+ until November, 2025.

Yeah perhaps not from Nintendo, but from third parties, perhaps.
Again, I really don't think PS4 pro level is possible in handheld even in 2023. I think 2.5TFs is probably the peak but of course dlss might help.

I also can't see Nintendo going over $300-$350. I don't even think Pro will go over $300. $399 would be way too high IMO.

especially when you consider there is real possibility $299-$350 Ps5 slim in holiday 2023, when Switch 2 could release, and potentially $200-$250 (at worst $299 still) Xbox series s

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
No way in hell there are many exclusives for the Switch Pro. There might be a few small 1st party games, and maybe a few 3rd party games, but the OG Switch has just sold way too many units for them to actually go down that path.
If a game literally couldn't run on the Switch, but could on the "Pro", the existing units sold are irrelevant.