• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nintendo's Next Gen Console is a VR headset - How does that make you feel?

• Love it, Nintendo could bring VR to the masses!

Votes: 131 29.4%
  • Whatever, as long as the games are good.

Votes: 117 26.2%
  • No thanks, I hate VR and don't want to see Nintendo make VR titles

Votes: 198 44.4%

• Total voters

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
This is to do with a sensory disconnect and/or incorrect iPD. The results have nothing to do with the general use of VR where people are literally just donning a headset doing nothing, sitting down and watching a movie, or using teleportation/room-scale - which means my point stands.

You come on. I've demoed roomscale VR games to 40+ people with no reports of nausea, so I was curious what games this guy used in his study. Sure enough, red flags everywhere. One was a student project where you tilt your head to rotate a board to move a marble (can't imagine how exactly that looks or how confusing those gravity effects might be), and the other was a horror game with sliding locomotion (something we already knew makes a large number of people sick until they get their VR legs).

As DarthBuzzard said, roomscale VR is a lot more comfortable, because it doesn't deceive your senses. You simply need to adjust the HMD to the correct IPD and insure your framerate and tracking performance are smooth.
Thank you.

Last edited:

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
This for me and I imagine for many more. Maybe Nintendo will make a fully fledged VR device one day, but I can't see them ever not having a standard home console as their many product at any given time.
No. This is the biggest myth of VR, because you're assuming that VR itself causes sickness for most people when infact, it's only part of VR that does this - whenever there is a sensory disconnect between what your eyes see and the expected movement via your inner ear. However I agree that Nintendo might always hold onto home consoles even if Sony and Microsoft don't.

I physically can't use VR due to motion sickness, After the 3DS Nintendo would never make something a large part of their audience can't use
In all likelihood this is just a misconception on your part. You could be right, but the chance is very low, so I'd take another shot if you get given the chance, and make sure that you're playing something at 90Hz+ without the game taking control over the camera over you.

Last edited:

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I think it could workt if the made a less budget labo VR.
Something between a Gear VR and a Quest that you slide a next gen switch into.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
VR is lame so that's probably going to be a pass from me.
What's lame about it? If you're in to immersive games at all, it's the place to be. I also wouldn't consider demos as any kind of indication of what VR is like because you're never going to demo the long-standing games like Lone Echo / Echo VR, Astro Bot, and Asgard's Wrath. These are at the GOTY-contender level and also require hours of playtime, so you'd never be able to demo them in public and wouldn't be able to appreciate them at a friend's house either unless they left you to it for hours.

No, it's too niche to ever be mainstream
That's kind of redundant. That's like saying "This water is too cold to be hot". Except that certain conditions can change that, which can also happen for VR too.

I'd argue that the VR market will dwarf the console market by a long shot, because there's simply much more general appeal in VR than there is in a game console.

Last edited:

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel Nintendo games are very gameplay refined instead of relying on graphics.
So if they put faith in VR I bet they would nail the mechanics. Otherwise they won't bother with VR and would jump only when they're 100% confident.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's not like Nintendo gave money they made from the N64, GameCube, etc. to charity ... they still made a lot of money from those platforms even in the 22-33 million install base range.

Money is money, if they could make some kind of unique VR setup in a "Nintendo-ey" way (ie: the helmet simulates things like wind and water sensations) they could make a handful of VR titles a year and get 3rd party ports of other VR content plus it could play Switch games as well. They could also repurpose Switch titles for VR mode as they did with Labo VR without much fuss.

This is something that would *additive* to the Switch platform and the money they make there, not a replacement or something that has to carry the company.

If you're selling 5.5 million units of these things per year on average at a $40 profit margin lets say, that's $220 million per year in extra profit before you even sell a single game or collect a licensing fee royalty. That's not a bad extra revenue stream at all.

They're a publicly traded company. They have shareholders to answer to, and shareholders expect growth. They can't just spend years in development only to fart out a product a few thousand people buy, declare "Well, we technically made five dollars profit from this, and money is money!" and call it a day.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Been wondering about this for a while.

I think one of the reasons why Nintendo did Labo VR was to get their feet wet with VR so that they know how to do this stuff if VR indeed takes off big time at some point. If you look at Quest, it's a 399$ consumer device, so by 2022, Nintendo could probably make a 299$ or 349$ headset. They already have quite a bit of experience with motion controls as well, so it all kinda makes sense.

Ever since the Wii, Nintendo has done well whenever they tried to approach the console market from a different angle and if they come out with Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Mario Kart and so on in VR, I think that's when we really talk about VR becoming accepted by the masses.

So, yay or nay? Would you care, as long as the games are fantastic?

EDIT: Adding my post below, cause Nintendo going the GearVR route could also be a real possibility:

I'd guess that Nintendo will keep working with Nvidia on a new chipset, so there's 0 reason why this thing wouldn't support all your Switch titles. They could literally just do the GearVR thing where you slot the tablet portion into a headset using those JoyCon rails and also support JoyCons and handheld-play, while ensuring developers that everyone has access to the VR functionality, so that it's not just a gimmick or a peripheral that only 20-30% of the userbase has access to.

Nintendo has shown that they love this stuff before. The Virtual Boy, the 3DS,... and by 2022, the Tech would be cheap and powerful enough to make a device like that.

I would love to see this. They could keep evolving on the Nintendo Labo concept and make a hybrid device, capable of being a TV console, portable console and VR headset all in one. The difficult part would be making an ergonomic VR headset that you can wear for a long time without getting uncomfortable. Anyone that has played Astro Bot knows how incredible a fully designed Mario VR/Zelda game could be and portable VR has proven to be a success with the Oculus Quest.

Last edited:

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
If it was the only way to play Nintendo games then it would probably be the first time I would not get a Nintendo console or may get it late In it's console life compared to how I do it now.

I'd prefer using a standard controller like the Pro Controller without the need to use anything extra similar to how I use my PS4 - one of the things I hated about the WiiU is the fact that I had to use the gamepad at one point or another.

When I get my future switch , I will be getting a pro controller cause I don't like the joycons at all from all the times I used it at store demos and my cousins house

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
Release a high-res Switch 2. Offer a halo-style headstrap and internal 6DOF tracking. Pair the VR+console bundle with the flagship casual game. Price it as a loss leader to encourage adoption. Embrace the tech in tasteful, varying degrees on a per-game basis. The classic mainline releases should be VR-optional, while the casual flagship games and tentpole iP spin-offs could be VR-only. Third party VR-only developers would fulfill the rest of the VR enthusiasts' needs.

To meet Nintendo's family/social standards, offer co-location multiplayer support so multiple people can play in VR face to face. Include a pass-through camera (inherent in inside-out VR headsets like Quest, Rift S etc) for the ability to quickly view your surroundings.