Votes: 221 13.2%
  • 5/10

Votes: 65 3.9%
  • 4/10 or lower

Votes: 54 3.2%

• Total voters

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Solid 8 out of 10 for me. Liked the characters, setting and tone, but the story wasn't the greatest and a lot of sidequests pretty boring. Liked the combat compared to turn based RPGs or action games with lots of combat and different weapons to use in different types of enemies etc. (I like simple, mostly east real-time combat). The Eikon fights were cool see pieces, but went on too long.

But overall enjoyed the 60ish hours I spent with it.

Jetsun Mila

Apr 7, 2021
Negative or mediocre stuff will usually be voiced loudly. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, that isn't a knock against people who didnt like FF16 as much. Only that if they enjoy something, a lot of people simply won't say anything. It happens in a lot of threads; if you read God of War Ragnarok impressions it sounds like the most middle of the road game ever, its just how it is.
Pretty much, that's why I trust polls and ratings more than impressions in threads. It's simply much easier to give a good rating than to write something positive. Like on Glitchwave it sits at 3.71/5 which is "really good but no masterpiece" and that fits fairly well.
Of course, if there's lots of kneejerk ratings like Metacritics and Steams' users do all credibility goes out if the window lol

Jul 24, 2018
Main character is something you call the protagonist of the game. This is the core character you follow throughout the game. Based on your definition Jill would be a main character as well, when she is supporting at best. And if we go off of party members and amount of appearance, then Gav would also have to be considered a main character, and he is absolutely a supporting character.

I think the better terminology for a core cast would be primary characters, which would consist of Clive, Jill, Cid, Joshua, Dion, and Torgal.
I do consider all those characters main characters same as I do the Scions in FFXIV and Avalanche in FF7.

SirBigs

Dec 21, 2023
9/10 as a casual scrub

I loved the mechanics of old FF games and spent much time on 7 and 10, but if you take this game for what it is, an action RPG with major story elements, then it shines. Protagonist is extremely likable and they scale the power gain well. I'm also a sucker for
Time Skips in stories
and it adds a lot to the character development.

I'm also not a big JRPG guy other than the westernized ones (chrono trigger, golden sun, FromSoft games) so that can skew my opinion.

I love me some high Fidelity, and those cutscenes and effects on my oled with surround sound are SWEET. Didn't even mind the 30fps and motion blur even though I'm a stickler for 60fps.

ChaosZeroX

Oct 26, 2017
8.5 for me. The story, world and cinematics were amazing. The combat left much to be desired but the story kept me going.

jmsebastian

Nov 14, 2019
I'm giving it a six. Starts very strong but then immediately gives you the most boring objectives that put up a brick wall to your progress. Square Enix has a real problem where they automatically assume longer is better. XVI is probably a fifteen or twenty hour game packaged in an 80 hour game because you have to do tons of meaningless and redundant interactions to get to the parts where the story moves along. It's incredible how badly paced it is.

The combat is a big step up from 7 Remake because it actually commits to being an action game. But when you also have Stranger of Paradise, which is an awesome action game take on classic FF systems, you have to wonder what XVI is trying to do.

It feels like XVI is an introduction to action games for RPG fans the way Mystic Quest was the introductory RPG for action game fans back in the '90s. But because it's a mediocre action game (very repetitive, enemies are often damage sponges for no reason) I just want to drop it and play Stranger of Paradise instead.

It had the potential to be very good but didn't stick any of the landings. It's hard to get excited about any FF games right now. It's a genuine dark age for the series, I feel.

Sep 14, 2018
I'd like to say 8 but it was a 7/10 for me. Too many missteps across every aspect of the game. I still enjoyed it for what it was but I'm not interested in this world.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After replaying FFVII Remake in preparation for Rebirth, I appreciated XVI so much more. Love the battle system, and story. Remake has gone down for me after replaying it.

There is way too much padding and filler in Remake for me. Too many slow walking segments, so much padding.
I'm partially through my first time with Remake (but loving it so far), so I'll hold comments there.

I thought 16 was a solid 8/10 before, but playing through it again on Final Fantasy mode — and also doing the DLC — pushed it into 9/10 territory for me. I love the game and its themes, and with some tweaking, it really could've been masterpiece. Thought I'd skip cutscenes, but I ended up watching them all over again.

For me, at least, 16 is so close to nailing it.

I can't wait for the final 16 DLC.