• Nah

Votes: 260 22.0%
  • Meh

Votes: 407 34.4%

Votes: 104 8.8%

• Total voters

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
I've only redeemed free games, tried to install one and it didn't work so I never tried again.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I haven't had any issues with it and I get faster download speeds than Steam, so meh.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's fine. Loads up in a few seconds and is able to saturate my connection when downloading. Haven't noticed it when actually playing a game.

No complaints thus far.

PorcoLighto

Oct 25, 2017
I have found the client to be extremely slow and CPU-intensive; often taking upwards of 30 seconds to respond to inputs, and taking even longer to load information.
Here's a screenshot of me waiting for the client to slowly load in my library's thumbnails while it eats all the available CPU resources and grinds the system to a halt:
egs-waiting-aqk0a.png

Setting the client's process priority to "low" speeds things up significantly, but it's still really slow compared to every other client out there.
I appreciate that most of the games are DRM-free and can be run without the client though, as that allows me to play the games they're giving away without having it installed on my main computer.

Just because they call it "anti-tamper" instead of DRM, does not mean that it isn't DRM.
I have 3 PCs that installs it but I have never seen it to be this slow. Maybe worth contacting their support or Sergey and send them their logs for debugging? It seems something is wrong.

AkimboChainz

Oct 28, 2017
The only real issue I've had with the client (outside of the business aspect and some nice steam features) is when I downloaded a 15mb update, it finished downloading instantly but I couldnt launch the game for like 20 minutes after. If a game is on both Epic and Steam I would always choose Steam, but I wouldn't skip a game simply because it's only on Epic

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's great for downloading free games lol. Only used it to redeem codes otherwise.

Scerick

Oct 29, 2017
It's whatever. I am "store front agnostic". Never understood why anyone cares. I click download and click play - functions just like everything else.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Terrible, almost every game I've purchased so far has been more expensive compared to buying steam codes. And I just lost my cloud saves for Control a few days ago which is something I've never experienced from years of cloud saves on Steam.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
It provides free games and it lets me download them. That's about it. The bare minimum.

The interface isn't great - I appreciate breathing room in my interfaces but it's a bit too much. The two-factor authentication is also overly aggressive, making me wait for an email code (that takes at least a few mins to arrive) every other time I sign in.

What really annoys me though, is how I keep getting stupid friend requests from randos who presumably want to scam me out of V Bucks I don't have. What's worse is that there's an option for auto-declining friend requests and it doesn't even freaking work. I still have to decline friend requests every time I open up the app. When one of a very, very small handful of options in your program doesn't even work, I have zero faith in your storefront as a whole.

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
It's ok overall. It's not a place where you really hang out; social features and store discoverability just aren't there, but it gets the job done for buying and downloading games. And it doesn't have to install an update and restart every 15 minutes.

The UI design is really annoying to me; not that it doesn't do its, job, but it just feels like a generic webdesign instead of something for a native app.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Meh for me, I only have it because I use UE4, and the free games don't hurt :P
The storefront is just so bland, no categories, no recommendations, no communities, just too simplistic, and somehow it feels more sluggish than Steam lol.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I wanted to buy a friend Outer Wilds for their birthday and was surprised to find EGS doesn't have gifting or even gift cards yet. And I was annoyed a couple weeks ago that I couldn't preload Control.

The lack of basic features is frustrating but it won't keep me from buying exclusives I want to play, though.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
Only worth it for the free games. The store isn't anything to brag about and isn't something I'd ever buy from.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
no issues so far with BL3, i bought a key at gamestop and redeemed 4-5 hours before release and it downloaded just fine. haven't played too much, busy with other stuff, but launched fine the few times I have played.

APizzaPie

Oct 27, 2017
The bar was set pretty low if you compare it to the Mirosoft store. My biggest issue is how bare bones the entire experience feels. If they're going to buy exclusivity for so many titles can they at least add a wishlist feature so I can keep track of the games I want?

Dream_Journey

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't saw any problem yet. Thanksfully i bought Control for 7$ and Detroit for 3.5$, this might be best 7$ i ever spent!

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Saying that denuvo isn't DRM because they call it "anti-tamper" is like saying a murder isn't a murder because the murderer called it "strategic person removal"

Yeah "denuvo isn't DRM" is very silly take when Denuvo owned server decides whatever you can play or not. (Or at least that feature is sold as package if publisher hosts it's own authentication server).

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
I got a fraud alert on my cc when trying to buy a game there . They called me , sorted that out within minutes and everything else has been smooth sailing.

I like the egs .

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nah for me. The only thing I've liked so far is that preloading is significantly better than it is on Steam. I don't quite understand what the hell Steam's doing in that regard. It takes me longer to unpack the preload than it does to download and install the moment it launches, so I actively avoid preloading on Steam.

I preloaded Borderlands 3 on EGS. The game was playable the second it launched. It felt nice as fuck for a preload to actually work.

Beyond that though, EGS sucks. Finally having a playtime tracker is nice, but one of the best aspects of that on Steam is it becomes a social feature. There's no player profiles to look at on EGS. I can't look at my friends' game libraries.

I've also heard of cloud saves being fucky on EGS, but I haven't personally been affected by that yet.

The lack of an overlay has also been annoying. I had a friend send me a friend request while I was playing Borderlands 3, so I had to tab out, open EGS, and accept it from there. This also means that games have to go out of their way to have friends lists integrated in-game. Hell, I used Discord to invite my group to my Borderlands 3 game, just because that was what was most convenient.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Nah for me. The only thing I've liked so far is that preloading is significantly better than it is on Steam. I don't quite understand what the hell Steam's doing in that regard. It takes me longer to unpack the preload than it does to download and install the moment it launches, so I actively avoid preloading on Steam.

I preloaded Borderlands 3 on EGS. The game was playable the second it launched. It felt nice as fuck for a preload to actually work.

Steam downloads game as encrypted packages so it has to read, decrypt and write decrypted files.
It prevents pre-release snooping files (datamining for example).

So it's extra security feature Steam has decided to do that's causing the slow down. (So while it absolutely sucks for gamers, publishers probably like it).
Basically Epic has less complex and better solution. (I assume they just keep exe out like origin/uplay/gog).

(Windows Store keeps game files encrypted and relies on the fly decryption when ever game needs a file - which skips read/write part that is the slowest).

Steam solution was good compromise but game sizes have significantly outpaced it. Expect maybe NVMEs, but Steam probably isn't optimized for that.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's fine-ish?

I wish it was more fully featured. You guys can fund exclusive access to tons of different games but you can't afford to get a dude to program a goddamn shopping cart into your store? Stuff like that is silly. The whole time I'm using it I'm wishing I was on Steam. They need achievements, community features, better ways to organize your library, mod support, an overlay, etc.

Still, they had a bomb ass sale earlier this year that I took advantage of and I do love that I can launch a game without launching the client first. The free games are nice too. Could always be worse. It's just sad that both EA and Ubisoft were able to launch a better service right out of the gate than EGS did still a year later.

wait i thought egs didn't have preloading yet?

They just started it with Borderlands 3, but whether or not that continues is a different story. They may have just made an exception for that one game.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I'm meh, but I'm also meh on steam. I'm jaded af and neither is elevating the experience for me to get a yay.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not great for a comfy couch controller gamer.
I agree this is a problem and a legitimate criticism of anyone who makes it more difficult for Steam Big Picture users to play their games, but in the end the only reason we're in this situation is because Microsoft neglected Windows as a gaming platform for so long. Plenty of players in the PC space have implemented solutions to mitigate MS's negligence, but in the end the buck has to stop with Microsoft. They've known for a while people have been using their PCs on their TV and playing games with controllers, and chose to ignore it.

That said, given the status quo of comfy couch PC gaming, as the #1 client for this use-case there are things Valve could do to improve compatibility in this regard. Other launchers like GOG 2.0 and PlayNite have bespoke features for adding games from plenty of clients including Epic and Game Pass/Windows Store titles. There's no reason why Valve couldn't expand the barebones "add an exe" feature that really only works as intended with DRM-free and pirated games, and this problem has existed for many years before EGS and Windows Store were a thing so it's not like they have been blindsided by multiple store clients.

Dec 20, 2017
Borderlands 3 is my first purchase on it (if you don't count the 10 or so games I've gotten for free over the last few months). It pre-loaded without a fuss. The game unlocked just fine for the PC release. Not sure what else to say. It's fine.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
it's a store front. It launches games like any other Storefront, I don't need it to do anything else.